no sacks again? I mean, REALLY?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I want to blame the refs but ultimately, the D-line isn't getting up to speed. Quinn broke out last year because he always threw different wrenches (inside move, edge rush, etc.) I swear I see him doing the same edge rush technique every play which teams are going to exploit, gotta keep the OTs thinking if you want to beat them consistently.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
So what is the NFL's ultimate objective in these no-calls against the Rams?

Does this involve Gregg Williams, or the topic that shall not be named here, or is it something else altogether?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I want to blame the refs but ultimately, the D-line isn't getting up to speed. Quinn broke out last year because he always threw different wrenches (inside move, edge rush, etc.) I swear I see him doing the same edge rush technique every play which teams are going to exploit, gotta keep the OTs thinking if you want to beat them consistently.

Well, we'll just agree to disagree. When I see our guys get their jerseys grabbed, horse collared, hugged from behind, etc. on virtually every pass play with it never getting called, then it's clear that the deck is stacked against them.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Please don't tell me its the refs and some conspiracy.... this is just pathetic. My arse got laughed out of the bar tonight... this is some BS
Makes me wonder, How much longer we have until we can get Chris Long Back!!!

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
getting real old hearing these same excuses. Its all I hear every year that the Rams suck.....refs fault......the NFL is secretly against only the Rams since they moved from LA.......blah, blah, blah.

If it was a conspiracy then would't the Rams have to be in on it too?

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Same. I wanted to blame the refs for several weeks, but at the end of the day, our players aren't making plays.

They are making plays, they just get penalized when they do.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Does this involve Gregg Williams, or the topic that shall not be named here, or is it something else altogether?

Didn't think of that, but you are probably right. It on the same line as them not calling roughing on Micheal Vick when he came back into the league, I mean he basically got destroyed every game and never any calls.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
getting real old hearing these same excuses. Its all I hear every year that the Rams suck.....refs fault......the NFL is secretly against only the Rams since they moved from LA.......blah, blah, blah.

I didn't know the Rams were calling penalties against themselves.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
How hard would you play if you knew that the other side had a huge advantage given to them by the refs? Would you really continue to try if you knew that penalties were called on your side that never happened, while the other side gets away with everything?
When was the last time a Ref was "Accidentally" rolled-up-on!?

ausmurp

Starter
Well the DBs are playing 10 yds off of the WRs, like last yr, and we are blitzing, so holes are everywhere. 49ers and Seahawks get sacks because the press WRs and don't blitz. They have tough physical DBs who can press when needed. They play zone coverage on almost every play. We don't have a single DB who can press Crabtree, and not many probably not even Sherman can press Boldin. And our players are too young and inexperienced to play good zone coverage. We should've got Champ Bailey and Asante Samuel in FA - both could've been had for vet minimum, and I think Samuel is still there lol he's better than every DB we have. Our team is not built to be physical in pass coverage and that is the biggest issue we have. TruJo will help when he returns but he can only cover one WR...

Fact is, the players don't match the scheme. We need to go back to what we did last yr, rush only 4 and play mostly cover 2/3. It still yielded a bad pass defense but anything would be better than what we currently have.

I'm so tired of losing to Krapernick. He is so terrible and we make him look like the best QB in the NFL every yr. wow.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
It looks to me more like a scheme that doesn't fit the personnel.

The most experienced DB on the roster is Janoris Jenkins, with 3 years in the NFL (who got burned badly for 2 TDs yesterday). You have rookies at the other corner spot, and the nickel spot. McDonald is a second year player that missed significant time his rookie year, and McLeod is a guy who pretty much nobody on this board really likes. At OLB you have a pair of guys who are both light in the pants at ~220lbs.

Is this the type of personnel you want to have when you blitz 60% of the time? The young DBs are out on an island, and the undersized LBs get man handled by OGs that outweigh them by 80+ lbs. They just are not built to run the types of plays Williams calls, and he hasn't adjusted at all through 5 games.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

it's all about power. that's the game Goodhell is playing. it's nothing else.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
What I see not happening this year is very few dl stunts. Last year we stunted alot. Quinn had a lot of sacks when looped around the dt. Quinn is using the exact same move every time on the edge and it's not working. And we ARE NOT playing 10yrd off the wrong like we did last year like I seen a poster imply. I have yet to see a situation where it's 3rd and 4 and dbs are 10yrd off (besides the slot cb).
I also see us blitzing 2 or 3 guys on 3rd down and ALWAYS leaving the middle of the field open. Lauranitis has to be the slowest guy on the field and he is even blitzing. Smh. It's the scheme that's holding the D back not the players... we have the exact same players on the dl as last year besides Donald and he is a beast out there.

Common damonator is g williams

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

no, the team does not have to be in on it. but they DO have to remain silent, although Fisher is starting to make some noise.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Actually, the team doesn't have to know anything about it.

The NFL via the Refs can create a situation where a team is on the crap end of just enough calls and non-calls to be losing in the last year of a lease deal. Fans bail and attendance drops.

Now, lemme ask you...

The NFL wants a certain thing... a team in a certain city....not St. Louis... they've even appointed an executive now for that express purpose now that they've used LA to extort other cities for 20 years and it's played out...plus, they figured they've lost enough revenue from not having a team in LA. The sale of the Clippers really shocked the NFL owners into action in a HUGE way. LA is a massive market that's grossly UNDERVALUED. If the Clippers are worth $2B, just imagine what an NFL franchise would be worth???

So, an NFL owner, even if he wants to stay in St. Louis is dealing with hard choices locally including a disenfranchised fan base due to extended losing or the financial windfall that comes from moving, especially to potentially the most lucrative market in the country (one can argue if SF is the most, but I'd argue that when push comes to shove, LA money will flash the loudest).

That makes the choice an organic and honest one based on actual inputs for the Owner and doesn't require the owner to be complicit in any way while still allowing the NFL to dictate their narrative which is and has been tremendously important for years now.

I mean, I said in 2001 after 9/11 to a friend, "there's no way any team other than the Patriots can win the Super Bowl" and he looked at me and said, "but they have a rookie QB. They aren't even going to win their division". I told him to sit back and watch. All throughout I didn't WANT to believe it, but the cynical voice in my head just kept yammering.

Manning getting back to the SB, Seattle getting that dominating win with that Legion of Boom business. Big business. Tremendous...STORY TELLING.

What it isn't is very good football, meaning that it's not honest. Not that guys aren't playing to win. They are. I truly believe that. But more and more every year, it seems the NFL is steering outcomes to micromanage games.

I mean, if there are really only 6 good teams and that's it, then fine. Let it be that way. I'd rather look at ACTUAL football than what we've seen this season because I'm as mad about the Seattle LOSS in Seattle to Dallas because THEY got just as jobbed as we did! It goes directly to the integrity of the game.

I don't think the teams know, but I think they suspect AND I think some try to coach around it when they can. Like some teams go with it. If they figure out the refs won't call holds, they go all out and take advantage until they start. Others don't change for the refs.

That said, this season is just off. I've seen fans from around the league saying the same thing, both in concert AND commenting on OTHER teams in a way that I've never seen in almost 40 years of watching the NFL. Fans are noticing other teams getting done badly in such an offputting way that it requires something be said. It's becoming increasingly suspicious.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Actually, the team doesn't have to know anything about it.

The NFL via the Refs can create a situation where a team is on the crap end of just enough calls and non-calls to be losing in the last year of a lease deal. Fans bail and attendance drops.

Now, lemme ask you...

The NFL wants a certain thing... a team in a certain city....not St. Louis... they've even appointed an executive now for that express purpose now that they've used LA to extort other cities for 20 years and it's played out...plus, they figured they've lost enough revenue from not having a team in LA. The sale of the Clippers really shocked the NFL owners into action in a HUGE way. LA is a massive market that's grossly UNDERVALUED. If the Clippers are worth $2B, just imagine what an NFL franchise would be worth???

So, an NFL owner, even if he wants to stay in St. Louis is dealing with hard choices locally including a disenfranchised fan base due to extended losing or the financial windfall that comes from moving, especially to potentially the most lucrative market in the country (one can argue if SF is the most, but I'd argue that when push comes to shove, LA money will flash the loudest).

That makes the choice an organic and honest one based on actual inputs for the Owner and doesn't require the owner to be complicit in any way while still allowing the NFL to dictate their narrative which is and has been tremendously important for years now.

I mean, I said in 2001 after 9/11 to a friend, "there's no way any team other than the Patriots can win the Super Bowl" and he looked at me and said, "but they have a rookie QB. They aren't even going to win their division". I told him to sit back and watch. All throughout I didn't WANT to believe it, but the cynical voice in my head just kept yammering.

Manning getting back to the SB, Seattle getting that dominating win with that Legion of Boom business. Big business. Tremendous...STORY TELLING.

What it isn't is very good football, meaning that it's not honest. Not that guys aren't playing to win. They are. I truly believe that. But more and more every year, it seems the NFL is steering outcomes to micromanage games.

I mean, if there are really only 6 good teams and that's it, then fine. Let it be that way. I'd rather look at ACTUAL football than what we've seen this season because I'm as mad about the Seattle LOSS in Seattle to Dallas because THEY got just as jobbed as we did! It goes directly to the integrity of the game.

I don't think the teams know, but I think they suspect AND I think some try to coach around it when they can. Like some teams go with it. If they figure out the refs won't call holds, they go all out and take advantage until they start. Others don't change for the refs.

That said, this season is just off. I've seen fans from around the league saying the same thing, both in concert AND commenting on OTHER teams in a way that I've never seen in almost 40 years of watching the NFL. Fans are noticing other teams getting done badly in such an offputting way that it requires something be said. It's becoming increasingly suspicious.
omg, have u been reading my posts for the last 10yrs? I just found my long lost brother :)