NFL's $12 Billion Deal With DirecTV Faces Major Antitrust Lawsuit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamzFanz finding a possible excape route:
Don't they have an online feed for people who can't get directv? I thought they did.
I don't know but thanks for the heads up. (y)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doesn't matter how cheap it is if you can't get it because you have Dish instead of DirecTV. I can't even get DirecTV because of the location of their satellites. Two of my neighbors have very tall trees which block the signal. :( Don't even get me started about cable.
And before Direct TV you couldnt get it either.
Pretty sure there are ways to get the ticket now other than direct tv if you are in an area that cant get service. Im not a gamer but I think the xbox/playstation has the ability to stream

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
What internet are you DirecTV guys using? I can't deal with the ATT DSL that's offered with the TV service.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I always felt ripped off with Sunday Ticket....I guess they must of had a note on my account at DirecTV not to give me any discount (or not much of one)....The only time I was ever offered Sunday Ticket for free, was after I had already switched television service with my local telephone company..."Too Late, I told them..." Now if I can, I go to Europe for the free broadcast....

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
They did offer a streaming service last year but it was only available for certain cities, college campus dorms, and certain approved apartment complexes. It's crazy to me! I'm here saying take my money (and I know others are as well) and they aren't offering the service because they want to force you to sign up for Directv

fearsomefour

Legend
To put it in perspective, that means they would generally have to generate between $450 and $500 in extra revenue each week that they could directly (no pun intended) attribute to having NFL ticket. If you have a 100 seat establishment, you are not likely to crack that nut unless you are flat out dead on Sundays without it. Sunday Ticket is not as much of a draw as you think for most establishments. If you know any bar owners, ask them if they have run the numbers. Some may keep it just to have a bit of an edge but the profit margin on most of these places is not all that great and generally speaking the ticket ends up being at best a break even.
I know two bar owners. One kept it and makes money with it and one dropped it.
The guy who makes money by having two fan group use his place as a "headquarters".
So he will have 20 or so Browns fans come in and he said they spend pretty well. Another group of fans (Vikings I think) worked out a deal for a serve yourself breakfast bar sort of thing (most of their games are 10 am starts out here) for a set cover charge. He said he makes money on it. Like you said, for the other owner it wasn't worth keeping.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I just want to watch Rams games and other good games. I don't want to be stuck watching just whats offered in my area. I don't care about what bars have to pay, I have to pay too. What ever has to be done within the law, than get it done. I just want the freedom to watch the games I want to watch.
ME TOO(y):cool:;):rockon::cheers::banana::snicker::heh:

iced

Don't they have an online feed for people who can't get directv? I thought they did.

doesn't run for shit though - over half the season, most of the 1 pm games had problems streaming, and sometimes the 4 pm ones too

problem was server side

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think it really depends on where you are. I am in the DC area, and on Sundays the bars are PACKED if you have sunday ticket. I Literally know one place where they cover the pool tables and turn them into standard tables for the extra seating. Anyplace here without DT is empty on those sundays.

The two factors I think push it are the fact this is a transient town (I found ATL very similar - most people came from elsewhere) so the local team is of limited draw by itself and I think fantasy FB has generated much more interest in the other games going on (besides the big name match ups every week).
Probably true to a large extent. I think also Oregon not having a team might affect that and those that do really follow around here tend to be shecock fans. Virtually every shecock game here is televised on network channels.

It is the same however in the central coast of CA, Portland area, and also even up in Seattle itself. A few bars are full but most are not. So yeah - I suppose location must factor in. It sure doesn't seem to pay around these parts.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
True for the day, but, and you know this better than me, if you impress these people with good drinks, food, prices, and atmosphere, then your patronage will certainly increase.
True to an extent. If you are a sports bar that is more true than if you are a restaurant and pub for example. We find that on the rare occasion that we do get rowdy football fans in here, others tend to shy away. The give and take means we actually lose money by offering ST because I don't recoup my costs + any profit if I even recoup my cost.

Again - if football fans are your prime market then by all means - buy it. But I generally get tired of the idea that people think because you had twice as many people in on a given day that you are some how raking it in. It really doesn't work that way. Same with live music. With all the licensing fees and paying the band and feeding the band, and increased staff, you may have three times as many people in and make half as much profit.

If your place is a good place to hang out and the food is good, it's generally not a football crowd that is going to discover that. Do you go to the places you watch football for much of anything else? I don't.

I've had my restaurant for 8 years now. I've tried about everything to increase butts in seats. The one thing that works best is good food and drinks. I still have live bands in from time to time for the fun of it but I pretty much let others flail away on things that really end up not netting them anything. They come and go every year or three and there is a new avenue for cheap equipment.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I know two bar owners. One kept it and makes money with it and one dropped it.
The guy who makes money by having two fan group use his place as a "headquarters".
So he will have 20 or so Browns fans come in and he said they spend pretty well. Another group of fans (Vikings I think) worked out a deal for a serve yourself breakfast bar sort of thing (most of their games are 10 am starts out here) for a set cover charge. He said he makes money on it. Like you said, for the other owner it wasn't worth keeping.
Yeah - I fear that people think I'm making a case for someone to step in and force them to lower the price of ST. Not even close to my mindset. If they did happen though to lower the price, it may get quite a few of us fringe guys on the hook. I do think however, that allowing a monopoly is a but sketchy.

Alan

Legend
dieterbrock forgetting the devil is in the details:
And before Direct TV you couldnt get it either.

I think the xbox/playstation has the ability to stream
Much like the tree of knowledge in the garden of Eden, knowing that it's there and you can't have it makes all the difference. ;)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Winning this lawsuit, and others that may come up, means the NFL is going to do something that benefits THEM more than anyone.

Games will be available to stream online. And you will pay. Dearly. And you will miss the good old days of the Sunday Ticket.

That is all for now.

Alan

Legend
@LesBaker
I doubt it will be in lieu of Les. It'as much more likely to be in addition too.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
What internet are you DirecTV guys using? I can't deal with the ATT DSL that's offered with the TV service.
Verizon Fios.
Its a bundle with local service, that doesn't include Directv. The price I pay for being a loyal Rams fan in southeast Pa.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Verizon Fios.
Its a bundle with local service, that doesn't include Directv. The price I pay for being a loyal Rams fan in southeast Pa.

Lucky you. There's not much residential fiber in Chicago, yet. ATT is keeping them out.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I would gladly pay $50 to be able to pick only Rams games to stream.
Only if the streaming is of sufficient quality to put on my HDTV without the ball looking like a glitchy blob and I can clearly see what the hell is going on.