NFL will allow players to wear Guardian Caps during games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
IMG_4162.jpeg

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Wow. I'm shocked. This is a huge move that will dramatically affect the look of the game.

I'm glad for the improved player safety, but frankly I'm surprised the NFL is allowing something to cover the helmet.

Will the caps have team logos on them or not?

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Wonder if they'll be designing something similar for the Daddy Bags.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not a fan of this.

jjab360

Legend
Wow, that's massive. Shocking for a league that emphasizes style as much as they do..

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm all for player safety, but this is going to look terrible. Not to mention they are going to be covering up the logos on the helmets. Really hope players are not going to want to do this.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If this is a thing I won't watch the games. I know some will think I'm nuts or poke fun or whatever and that's fine. But for me the helmets matter. If half the dudes out there are wearing lego block heads I'm out.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
The lawyer in me wonders if this is actually just a brilliant ploy.

It is not unlikely that the vast majority of players will not wish to use the caps because, they look odd, they are cumbersome, or there is some semblance of peer pressure to refrain from using them (a sort of machismo, perhaps).

The league will then, in future CTE lawsuits, be able to say "we approved safety equipment that players could opt to use, and [PLAINTIFF] declined to take advantage."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
S T U P I D!

Is it April Fools?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

It is not unlikely that the vast majority of players will not wish to use the caps because, they look odd, they are cumbersome, or there is some semblance of peer pressure to refrain from using them (a sort of machismo, perhaps).

The league will then, in future CTE lawsuits, be able to say "we approved safety equipment that players could opt to use, and [PLAINTIFF] declined to take advantage."

:pointup:This

jjab360

Legend

Maybe. But then it backfires when some teams start mandating their players wear them and others don't and everything on the field looks like a mess.

This looks like something that could be a huge mistake for the league and I don't think they can take it back.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion

I actually thought the same exact thing when I saw the story, I'm glad an attorney backed up my thinking :)

Nobody is wearing these in an actual game.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Maybe. But then it backfires when some teams start mandating their players wear them and others don't and everything on the field looks like a mess.

This looks like something that could be a huge mistake for the league and I don't think they can take it back.
If players generally dislike them, it would be dangerous for individual teams to mandate them, as it could hinder their efforts in free agency.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but I won't be shocked if very few players (if any) use the caps. After all, there are all sorts of pads available that players don't use.

Well... except for Eric Dickerson!

ED.jpg

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Why don’t the manufacturers just build helmets with more protection???

jjab360

Legend
If players generally dislike them, it would be dangerous for individual teams to mandate them, as it could hinder their efforts in free agency.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but I won't be shocked if very few players (if any) use the caps. After all, there are all sorts of pads available that players don't use.

Well... except for Eric Dickerson!

View attachment 65417
I hope it turns out like that.

I really don't care that much if it just turns out to be a spot fix like the weeks after a player comes back from a concussion as a precautionary measure.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
If this is a thing I won't watch the games. I know some will think I'm nuts or poke fun or whatever and that's fine. But for me the helmets matter. If half the dudes out there are wearing lego block heads I'm out.
IMG_1478.jpeg

You're hooked on football, man...

Last edited: