NFL Rumors: Nov-05 Trade Deadline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
They claimed Baker off waivers in December, well after the trade deadline and he was a UFA as soon as the season ended.
So they weren’t ever on the roster at the same time where a trade could be worked out.

There you go again ... using facts and truths, plus logic and reason to make excellent, realistic points.
And THAT just ruins the make believe. You Sir ... are no fun at all ...

1728862535586.png

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
They claimed Baker off waivers in December, well after the trade deadline and he was a UFA as soon as the season ended.
So they weren’t ever on the roster at the same time where a trade could be worked out.
Yea, I didn't state my opinion correctly. If they were going to trade Stafford at all, they should have done AFTER the 2022 season and kept Baker. Either way, not a very good approach, imo.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yea, I didn't state my opinion correctly. If they were going to trade Stafford at all, they should have done AFTER the 2022 season and kept Baker. Either way, not a very good approach, imo.
Philosophically saying "ok he won us that title we traded for him to achieve" and then moving him to hasten the rebuild, I suppose makes some sense. But then you're back to looking for a QB1. There really aren't a lot of those guys. There are a ton of middling QB1s who require a run game to get the job done. But the studs who can will it in those moments are very hard to find.

But I do agree that now that we're 2 drafts into a rebuild it doesn't make sense to cut bait on the guy who got it done. We're gonna have another offseason and draft to polish up this roster around him and he should still have a couple shots in him.

So I think Stafford retires with us. Or maybe something is worked out with Detroit where he signs a one day contract with them when he's tired of this shit and goes out a Lion. But either way I don't see him being bounced around the league. That's not Stafford. He suffered in Detroit for 12 fuckin years. This is gravy.

As to the Rams side of that coin, what they need to do is insulate themselves with a young QB who can serve as QB2 and maybe take over when he's done. But someone has to have the reins while the kid is learning. I think we'll either take a QB in next year's draft at some point or go get a castoff they like via trade or whatever. Don't see 9 going anywhere though.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, that wouldnt have worked either since Stafford had just signed his 160 mill extension in '22. Rams would have taken about a 70 mill cap hit and a team would be ok trading for a guy due 100 mill guaranteed and who just missed the end of '22 with a spinal cord injury that some thought could be career ending. All the while they'd have been pinning there hopes on Baker Mayfield? Revisionist history at its finest
Stafford was completely un-tradable after the '22 season

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Well, that wouldnt have worked either since Stafford had just signed his 160 mill extension in '22. Rams would have taken about a 70 mill cap hit and a team would be ok trading for a guy due 100 mill guaranteed and who just missed the end of '22 with a spinal cord injury that some thought could be career ending. All the while they'd have been pinning there hopes on Baker Mayfield? Revisionist history at its finest
Stafford was completely un-tradable after the '22 season
Not exactly revisionist history, bc there were talks about trading Stafford bc of doubts that he would be able to come back at 100%. I'm not agreeing with the talks and I think they were stupid, just like I think they are now, but trading Stafford has been a topic since his second year with us.

I personally think Baker is better than what we had at qb, currently have at qb (not including staff), and better than anything we will prob get for compensation for Stafford right now, which is why I said trading Stafford in 2022 (if any team would have even traded for him, but hey, the lions took Goffs contract...) would have been the best time bc you at least have a bridge qb.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not exactly revisionist history, bc there were talks about trading Stafford bc of doubts that he would be able to come back at 100%. I'm not agreeing with the talks and I think they were stupid, just like I think they are now, but trading Stafford has been a topic since his second year with us.

I personally think Baker is better than what we had at qb, currently have at qb (not including staff), and better than anything we will prob get for compensation for Stafford right now, which is why I said trading Stafford in 2022 (if any team would have even traded for him, but hey, the lions took Goffs contract...) would have been the best time bc you at least have a bridge qb.
Again, its nearly impossible to trade a player right after signing a massive extension. That was Stafford during and after the '22 season. '22 was not an option, financially speaking it only became a feasible option now.
There was no way to keep Baker. I suppose you are correct in saying it wasnt revisionist because Stafford was untradable, and Baker wouldnt re-sign

pvtdragon39

Rookie
Hes not going to retire for a few years yet, So build this team and hes not getting traded. Stafford is stuggling because the o'line is. We get our starters back we are going to post points way better. We need to a get a defense piece or two in next few weeks. Question is do we chase some vets/young more established players on this defense to improve this team or stay in Panthers Territory and hope and pray these draft picks help?

I mean trade Jimmy for something?

We lose Stafford, we might as well just put in Stenson at that point because our seasons done.

Who else could we trade for a defensive piece? D-rob? Schrader? Rivers? TJ? White? We have 1st, 3rd and 4th round picks, along with 3 sixth?

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I remember the good 'ol days when we were good and looked at as buyers, and now people have us selling and we have only two sellable assets in Stafford and Kupp.

I miss those days.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember the good 'ol days when we were good and looked at as buyers, and now people have us selling and we have only two sellable assets in Stafford and Kupp.

I miss those days.

Do you miss the days of 2005 to 2016?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams gotta a lot of problems right now. QB ain’t one if them.

IMO - EVERY BODY(Ran Fans) are jumping off a Cliff again !! This is ALL on SEAN MCVAY again.

The state of The Rams is in good shape.I still believe as of Right Now.The Rams 7-10 though this season.

Bold conviction is what Mcvay faces.Like I keep saying The Ram Players deserve better from what he has delivered.Kupp & Puka have been hurt.The O’Line has been banged up.Let these guys in Limmer & Bruss bang on defenses & run. The strength isn’t pass blocking.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The time to trade Stafford would have been in 2022 when we had Mayfield on our roster. Yes, he was injured, but he's now 2 years older and our SB win is farther in our rear view. If we didn't pull a trade then, I see it even more unlikely right now.
Snead and McVay would have been fired so hard they'd bounce if they had traded a Super Bowl winning QB the next year after winning it and rightfully so.