NFL clubs approve 14-team playoff format

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He makes a good argument. My opinion at the end.

Expanded playoffs could make for even better Super Bowls

More football, in most cases, is always good. More playoff games definitely are good.

But here’s one thing that may not be so good: The official expansion of the field from 12 teams to 14 places a gigantic premium on earning the top seed in each conference.

The No. 1 seeds become the only teams to get a weekend off. Which means that the No. 2 seeds — typically, the biggest threat to the No. 1 seeds — will have to play another game, putting the No. 2 seeds at risk of losing that game and also at risk of getting someone injured. Even without losing a key player for thet rest of the postseason, the No. 2 seed will be more banged up than it otherwise would be since it will have played two games not one before a potential showdown in the conference championship game.

Although the No. 1 seeds first must get past their division-round games — and the top-seeded Ravens failed to do that in January — the new configuration will make it more likely not less likely that the Super Bowl will feature a matchup of the best two teams from each conference.

And that won’t be a bad thing when it’s time to play the Super Bowl. While upsets are fun to watch, they wipe out otherwise great games that would have come later. Ravens-Chiefs could have been a memorable AFC Championship for the 2019 season, for example. Turning back the clock by 35 years, New England’s postseason upset win over Dan Marino and the Dolphins was memorable — and New England’s blowout loss to the Bears two weeks later was forgettable, especially since the Bears otherwise would have been playing the only team that had beaten them during the 1985 season.

So, yes, the playoffs could be a bit more predictable. Eventually, some may clamor for expansion to 16 teams if only to remove the bye-week advantage for the No. 1 seeds. But the reward will come in the Super Bowl, when it’s more likely that the best two teams will make it through the conference tournament and to the league’s championship game.

———

This argument implies the team with the best record, was the better team. I’m not sure that’s always the case... better record, yes. Team?

I think an argument can easily be made the bye gives that #2 team an even footing rest-wise for the Divisional Championships and beyond. Equalizing (some anyway) the variation caused by strength of division or schedule.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I am ALL FOR the new 14 teams into the playoffs. No matter what little negative things it involves.
We would have gotten in this past season. Who of you would not have enjoyed seeing if we could upset someone?

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
After some deep thought about this pretty big change, along with a moderate shot of morphine,......

(Special shout out to Ramhusker. Bo I hope you are now on the mend buddy)

...... change like this can really bother me, I think I like it.

Kind seemed unfair to us last year.

GO RAMS!!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If this happens, we will be seeing some 7-9 teams getting into the playoffs from time to time.

Somewhere Jeff Fisher is smiling.
Only if they win their division, just like now.
In the last 25 seasons, under the additional wild card team scenario, no 7-9 team would have made the playoffs, and only a couple 8-8's would have

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup.
That said, any team that goes and wins 3 straight road games deserves to play in the SB as much as anyone.
I think its funny there is concern about adding 1 team per conference in a league that has sent the #1 or 2 seed to the Superbowl an overwhelming number of times. (IIRC its like 90% since 1990)

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Only if they win their division, just like now.
In the last 25 seasons, under the additional wild card team scenario, no 7-9 team would have made the playoffs, and only a couple 8-8's would have

Interesting, I like the additional team thing then, in that case. But they should have a stipulation, that only a team with a winning record, can make the playoffs, in addition to the 6 teams in the conference minimum, unless they win their division. 8-8 teams weren't good enough to be above average.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Playoff success is about who's hot and who's healthy.
I'm good with the change.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting, I like the additional team thing then, in that case. But they should have a stipulation, that only a team with a winning record, can make the playoffs, in addition to the 6 teams in the conference minimum, unless they win their division. 8-8 teams weren't good enough to be above average.
No stipulation needed, they added another team. If the 3rd WC is 8-8 or worse, so be it.
And in reality, how would you exclude them anyway? 7 teams from the conference will make the playoffs, NFL isnt going to give up a playoff game