NFL chat with Jim Thomas: 4/19/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers. To read the whole chat click the link below. Lots of Negative Nancys today. Wade in at your own peril.
************************************************************************************
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_14

NFL chat with Jim Thomas

I hope the Rams draft the next Tim Couch and set themselves back the next 10 years....what were your thoughts on the trade?

I was very surprised. For one, the Rams didn't have that many picks to begin with. They have a lot of needs to address on this roster _ more than I thought they'd have at this time of the year. For another, I don't think Wentz and Goff _ on paper _ are even at the level as prospects that Winston and Mariota were last year. If it works out, good for the Rams But it really seems like almost a desperation move to me.
-----------
At the very top of the draft, teams hope to finf future Hall of Famers. I understand that they hope to find starters through the first three rounds of any draft. What does one typically expect to find in rounds 4-7? Eventual starters, career back-ups, only special teamers?

You look for exactly what you're talking about on Day 3 _ eventual starters, depth players, special teamers. But you never know. Tom Brady was a sixth-rounder; WR Marques Colston was a seventh-rounder. Over the years in St. Louis, the Rams found two right tackles _ Fred Miller and Ryan Tucker _ in Rounds 5 and 4, respectively. Both had long careers as starters in the league. QB Ryan Fitzpatrick was a seventh round compensatory pick.
----------
Christmas in April! The Rams make a moronic trade in an effort to boost ticket sales. Meanwhile, this will guarantee Fisher an extra 2 years to "develop" Goff/Wentz, which only means continued mediocrity for the Rams. For a minute there I was afraid this team might start making smart moves.

I guess you can say it's great that the Rams realize they need a strong starting quarterback, but the trade didn't make much sense to me.
----------
Who would you take Wentz or Goff?

I like Wentz better. He's bigger yet more athletic than Goff. Has a stronger arm.
---------
Do you expect either of Wentz or Goff to start at some point in year 1?

You don't draft players No. 1 or No. 2 overall to have them sit and watch.
----------
Given no QB in this draft seems like a sure franchise QB, I'd say the Rams gave up too much. Do you agree?

We may think differently 5 years from now, but I agree. The Rams gave up too much for one of these QBs. Charley Armey used to say the higher up you are in the draft, the less you should reach for a player. But this is a quarterback-driven league, teams still reach for QBs. See Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, and Christian Ponder.
---------
I hope the Rams draft the next Sam Bradford, often injured and doesnt throw the ball deep.

I'll go on record and say this now: I don't think Wentz or Goff will be the NFL's offensive rookie of the year as was the case with Bradford as a rookie.
----------
I think it's very cool that the former Rams want to come back and play flag football at the Dome foe the fans. Just shows the players really did enjoy it here in STL

Yeah, the list is up to 32 (30 players, plus Vermeil and Martz) who have confirmed they plan to attend the game. And I'm told that a lot more former players have expressed interest in returning for the game. Tickets, by the way, go on sale Thursday at 10 a.m. on Ticketmaster.
----------
How are the Rams going to fill out their roster with quality players now? Picking up players that are going to be cut in training camp?

It won't be easy. The team doesn't have a lot of cap room left. There isn't a lot out there in free agency. Players cut coming out of the preseason usually aren't starting quality. The Rams obviously need a strong Day 3 of the draft, and they need to find a couple of nuggets via undrafted rookies.
----------
What do you think the rams could get draft pick wise for Keenum and Foles?

Don't think Keenum is on the trading block. As for Foles, I'd say seventh, or maybe a conditional sixth based on playing time with new team.
----------
Is Chris Long expected to be a starter in NE?

I'm sure he'll be in the mix, but the Patriots seem to have a lot of bodies at the position.
----------
Will the Rams have a QB coach this year to help the new guy along? If so, any guess who it will be?

It's Chris Weinke, back for his second year with the team as QB coach.
----------
So, the NBA just approved advertisements on jerseys. Knowing how the NFL loves to find more revenue streams, how long before we see ads on football uniforms?

I think it's only a matter of time.
----------
What are the Rams and RB Mason looking at for punishment? Will it be handed down this season?

We're still almost 5 months till the start of the regular season. So I'd think we'd have something by them. Hard to predict in terms of Mason punishment. Maybe a game or two if guilty.
----------
Fantasy football question here: Will any rookie RBs be this year's Todd Gurley? Do you think any WRs, TEs or QBs who will have break out seasons?

Of course, a lot depends on where they end up. But I think RB Ezekiel Elliott has the chance to be something special. But overall it's not a great skill year in the draft, be it QB, WR, or TE.
----------
Who will Fisher & Snead take? Goff or Wentz?

I have no idea. It is interesting, however, that Mike Silver of NFL Network _ who's very close to Fisher _ says the team is leaning towards Goff.
----------
Are either one of these quarterbacks good enough to lift the whole team over the 500 mark? Seems to me the holes all over the team are too big.

Doesn't seem likely. At least not as NFL rookies.
----------
Have always felt that long term qb success is related as much too mental makeup as physical tools. Have heard both goff and wants have a lot between the ears, as much as any recent rookie qbs. Have you heard that?

Yeah, I think their Wonderlic tests leaked out, and one was at like 37 and one was at like 41 or 42.
Which is very high.
----------
Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers? Look at what the wrong decision did to SF. Rams/Snisher history says they'll make the wrong decision.

But also look at the fact that Rodgers was able to sit and learn for basically 3 seasons. I think he threw a total of 49 passes over his first three seasons in the league as he watched Favre. I think if you had the patience to sit a guy for say two years, that the guy to take would be Paxton Lynch of Memphis. That's assuming, of course, he's getting good coaching over those 2 seasons. I think Lynch may have the most upside of any QB in this draft.
----------
Jeff Fisher must have known if he went into LA with Case Keenum as the guy he would have not been resigned.

I don't know about all that. But I think Jeff is smart enough to realize that this could be a big year for him.
---------
Jeff Fisher did say it was a 5 year plan when he first got the gig now he gets the QB. Do you think the Roster is set to win 5 years later?

Not really. Who's the free safety? Tight end? Are the Rams much better (any better?) at wide receiver than they were four years ago? Do they have a left tackle in Greg Robinson? And depth at defensive tackle and linebacker is lacking. Franchising Trumaine Johson and paying $9 million a year for Mark Barron has prevented them from making outside moves for a couple of starters in free agency.
---------
Trade wasn't that bad cause of the extra 2nd for Foles and the possible 3rd comp pick for JJ21 you think?

No. not when you think about what players you can get with an early 2 and a late 3 next year.
----------
What confuses me, Jim, is how organizations such as the Rams can be so consistently bad over so many years? The Cleveland Browns are an object lesson but this is not restricted to the NFL. The problem is not with the team but the organizations themselves. Are these organizations so lacking in self-awareness that they cannot see how badly they stink?

You do wonder about that _ if these teams have any self-awareness of how bad they are. Right now the Rams are right up there with I'd say Cleveland and Oakland as the NFL's most woebegone franchises. Although I have to say that it looks like Oakland looks like they are making progress. And I think part of the problem with the Rams is absentee ownership. It's just not the same when the owner isn't around with some degree of regularity. Maybe Kroenke's around more now that the Rams are in LA.
-----------
Read a lot of Rams hating since the move. To be expected. We in So Cal felt the same way when Georgia did it to us. Still supported the Rams but disliked the owner.

Yeah, a part of this chat has become a weekly venting session. But that's OK and expected.
----------
I think you have over stated some of the "holes" on the Rams roster. The one I want to address is the so called lack of depth in the secondary. Johnson and Gaines starting is a solid combination. Behing him Roberson and Sensabaugh will battle for the nickelback job, a battle I think Roberson wins. Joyner can easily move to FS and play well there as he did at FSU.

It's more an issue of free safety. We'll see if the Rams do try moving Joyner back to free safety. But you can never have enough corners, and it was interesting how much interest the Rams were showing in drafting a corner _ at least before trading all the picks to move up to No. 1.
----------
Which teams incompetence is more likely to ruin the QB that the draft, Cleveland or LA? And should we just assume that the 3rd QB taking in the draft will be the next Tom Brady?

I think you have to go with Cleveland as most incompetent. At least the Rams have come up with recent gems such as Robert Quinn, Aaron Donald, and Todd Gurley.
----------
I'm assuming you've been to the HOF in Canton. What is your favorite exhibit there and why?

I've been to the Hall of Fame several times over the years, most recently for the Marshall Faulk induction, and I'll be up there for Orlando Pace's enshrinement this summer. I like everything about the experience and Canton. Just strolling through the Hall, seeing all the busts, is great.
-----------
a few weeks ago I saw NFL commissioner RG in Jacksonville with former Cardinal Pres Mark Lamping and Shad Kahn. He said jacksonville market had not grown as much as NFL would like but it was about passionate fans....Have you seen the video? What hipocracy. Your thoughts?

I have not seen the video. But yes, the market is too small.
------------
If you were to be the one picking, would you choose Wentz or Goff? I keep going back and forth. I believe I heard Kurt Warner say he'd choose Goff, because at some point you have to stop saying things like "this guy has so much potential...." You just have to eventually get the guy that can do it

I'm leaning Wentz due to size, athleticism, arm strength, personality.
-----------
I don't know why the Broncos are pursuing Kaepernick. Reading comments by pro-scouts, he is either unable to make the correct downfield read or is unwilling to go through his route-progression when looking for a receiver. Strong arm, but not terribly accurate. Am I missing something? Is he a case of a good quarterback in the wrong system?

Yeah, to a degree, the level of their interest puzzles me as well. It just seems like he has never made the adjustment to being a pocket passer. I'm not saying he's not worth a look, but I sure wouldn't give away the farm for him.
----------
I for one don't mind as many Ram questions and articles as possible but that's just me. Any news on the Donte Witner front? I know he was supposed to be visiting last week but I still haven't heard anything. Seems to me that the Rams really could use him, especially since they lost McLeod. Your thoughts?

Have not heard anything new on him. That could mean the parties are far apart on money. In my mind, I'm not sure if I look at him as a true free safety anyway.
----------
If you could implement one rule change for next year, what would it be?

I'd give each team one possession in OT. (So even if the team with the first OT possession scores a TD, the other team would get one chance.) And I'm going to cheat and give you another one: I'd like to see the game-day roster expanded from 46. Maybe by a couple of players to 48. Why have healthy players sitting?
-----------
The Rams drafted Mannion last year. Apparently he isn't the QB of the future. What is missing about him that the Rams no longer see, if anything?

Does make you wonder, doesn't it? But I figured when the Rams didn't get a veteran QB via free agency or trade that they would turn their attention to the draft.
-----------
Is there still a possibility that Jacksonville will come to STL if the 400 million in public money is made available?

I can't see anything like that happening in the near future. I think the only way Khan ever considers StL would be when and if it becomes clear that London is out of play.
----------
Have your media brethren in LA caught on yet to the incompetence of this organization or are they still blinded by the bauble. At what point in time will all of the excitement be replaced by reality?

Normally, I would say it might take a couple of years. But it could be a longer process because of the Inglewood stadium on the horizon.
-----------
I'd say that whichever qb the Rams take doesn't have to be great to make the team a lot better, he just has to be a lot better than the qbs the Rams have had recently, which is very reachable

True. But how many QBs shine as rookies?
-----------
If the organization wants to sell tickets, PSL's, etc., especially in their new stadium, they will bring back Mike Martz.

Not gonna happen.
----------
I looked up Steve Ortmayer after last week's chat and found out that he was most recently an assistant coach at Kentucky. What a fall for a guy who used to run an NFL team. SEC school, sure, but not a good one. How did he get hired as a GM in the first place?

And it was a while back when Ortmayer followed Rich Brooks to Kentucky. They had a pretty good run down there, at least by Kentucky standards. As for how Ortmayer got hired in the first place, that's a good question. I don't think GMs and head coaches were at the top of John Shaw's list when he was in the midst of the move to StL.
------------
Which team will you be most interested in this year?

If I had to guess, I'd say I'll probably cover more KC Chiefs games than anyone. But given this is their first year in LA, I'm sure I'll keep an eye on the Rams as well.
-----------
I'm glad they're gone. Fisher and Sneed are absolutely the best pair for their inept owner. Not only do I save a couple of thousand every football season but now I get to sit back and laugh at the Rams organization along with the rest of the country. The NFL is no longer a passion, much less a concern, with me. Hope all those left behind by ESK and crew do well and get on their feet okay.

And what if the Rams are good and figure it out. Even the Bidwill's finally did that in Arizona. Then how will you feel?
------------
Suppose the Rams were playing the Titans this season. What would happen?

Mularkey sends out every Titans player selected with draft picks from St. Louis for the coin toss. I think it's a very close game. And hopefully, if the Rams lose this time, William Hayes doesn't smash a mirror with his forearm.
------------
When Lance Kendrick was drafted, was it thought he'd be a better receiving TE than he has turned out to be? I remember being disappointed at that time that we took a TE that high in the draft.

I thought the Rams over-drafted Lance Kendricks at the time. I think he still would've been available in Round 3. He's turned out to be a good all-around tight end. Maybe without Jared Cook around, he'll get the ball more this year.
-------------
Now that we know we are getting a rookie QB, what position is the most NEED for the Rams to address?

Wide receiver.
---------
If this team selects the correct QB, who turns out to be an above average starter. ex: Joe Flacco, where are they in the next few years? Super Bowl? Championship game?

In the playoffs.
-----------
Are there any other teams inquiring to the Rams about the 1st pick now that they have it? If so, do you think that they would trade it?

I think all the action is at No. 2 with the Browns.
-----------
Does SJ39 have a job with the Pats? He made some plays for them in the playoffs as I recall. Love to see him and CL have some success, even if it is with the Pats. Whenever the Rams play the Pats it is going to be strange to root for Belicheck. But gotta do what you gotta do.

SJ39 is currently not under contract. But Danny Amendola is still with the Pats.
-------------
This trade has demoff written all over it. As you mentioned a few weeks back, kevvy has never had more juice in the organization.

Agreed.
-----------
Can you think of another organization where the COO is orchestrating trades over the wishes of the head coach and GM?

Probably happens more than you think.
-----------
So whether the Rams take Wentz or Goff (I'm hoping Fisher isn't targeting a DE or DT with the #1 pick) do you think their best chance for success is to make a splash trade for a big name (or at least solid) vet WR (what they would trade I have no clue but let's pretend it was possible), look for a vet FA or do you think there are some 4th-7th round gems at WR or TE that will give the new QB a legit target?

I think it might be easier to find a TE on Day 3 than a wide receiver, although it's been done before. Yeah, I don't know what they would trade to get a vet WR.
----------
I was thinking the Rams draft Wentz, start Keenum this year and prepare him for next year. Just like Gurley, the Rams drafted a franchise QB to groom. Your thoughts?

It would be a first _ in the history of the draft _ for a No. 1 overall pick to sit out an entire year. Can't see it.
-----------
Could Lynch be ready to start in his second year?

Possibly. Judging from his combine workout, it just looked like he had a lot of work to do on his footwork.
------------
I've always been curious about the players with the GREAT TALENT who never quite lived up to their abilities. What was it that prevented them from truly succeeding? Jeff George is a name that comes to mind. Any insights into what prevented players like him from becoming the superstar everyone expected them to be?

I can't speak specifically for George. Some times it's temperament. Some times it's work ethic. Some times, there are off-field problems involved. And some times the scouting department/front office goofed in its evaluation.
-----------
the trade of 2 #2 picks and 2 #3 picks isn't all that much considering that the Rams track record, especially for #2s, is so bad (Quick, Pead, etc.) With all of the moving details, ithink the front office got distracted in putting a roster together. Hpe it works out for them. here in DC, they are still recovering from RG III trade.

I do think there was a distraction factor at work in all this.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Blah Blah Blah Anything is better than the thought of Keenum being the starter.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Sounds like some people still aren't over the whole "move to LA" thing.
I don't blame them.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I think Jim is mad they didn't inform him of the draft trade ahead of time.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Sounds like some people still aren't over the whole "move to LA" thing.
I don't blame them.

I don't blame them either, but at the same time, it makes the weekly Thomas Q and A unreadable. I read about 2 or 3 questions and gave up.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I read the first three questions then promised myself to never again click a JT link. How the mighty have fallen, he used to be my favorite Rams reporter.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Blah Blah Blah Anything is better than the thought of Keenum being the starter.

That may be true...somewhat.

But unless they drastically improve the offensive system and coaching of it, it really won't matter which QB is back there. The revolving door will continue, they'll just have made those going through it more expensive...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I read the first three questions then promised myself to never again click a JT link. How the mighty have fallen, he used to be my favorite Rams reporter.
He used to be a favorite of mine to, but no more! I only started to read this piece out of boredom!!:rolleyes:

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Am I the only one that would be happy not to hear anything else from Thomas or Wagoner?
It's like they are just cynical all the time..

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm not done with Wagoner. JT? Yeah, pretty sure he's done.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So now JT is going to the official hater journalist covering the Rams...I hope the Rams shut him out as much as they can..he should be doing something positive like covering Mizzou ice hockey...

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Lol what a joke this segment has become. Go home JT you're now officially on my shitlist, and shame on those fans hating on the Rams. Bunch of sourpusses.

Worst of all, no real insight on our selection. Just a lot of already known info. Then again, i imagine he would be the last reporter Snisher tells.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That may be true...somewhat.

But unless they drastically improve the offensive system and coaching of it, it really won't matter which QB is back there. The revolving door will continue, they'll just have made those going through it more expensive...

Maybe but I'm tired of 7-9 . Maybe the new QB goes 5-11 or 11-5 , but it's time for a gamble .

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would be a first _ in the history of the draft _ for a No. 1 overall pick to sit out an entire year. Can't see it.

great research jim. he's on top of it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't blame them either, but at the same time, it makes the weekly Thomas Q and A unreadable. I read about 2 or 3 questions and gave up.

I clicked on the link, saw the huge first post, looked at the name and said "Nope".... Shame, I used to really enjoy these weekly chats as well.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
So KD was the push behind this trade?

Hmmmmm

Ram65

Legend

The first two and I was out. I normally read all that is posted.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Time to move on from JT. He sounds like the jilted writer he has been for the last 2 years. Pure garbage....