New TE Carrier Expected to Play Week 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
New TE Carrier Expected to Play Week 1

Myles Simmons

Tight end Derek Carrier just arrived in Los Angeles after the Rams acquired him from Washington, and he’s already expected to contribute this week.

“He’s going to play,” head coach Sean McVay said after Monday’s practice. “He’s going to be ready to go. He’ll be active, he’ll play, and he’ll see snaps for sure.”

How will the recently traded Carrier be ready? Well, he has a good base of knowledge from McVay’s tenure as Washington’s offensive coordinator over the last two years. Carrier played 20 games over the last two years in McVay’s system, starting 11 in 2015.

“There’s some similarities but some of the verbs have been changed,” Carrier said of the playbook. “There’s a little bit of a learning curve in terms of trying to forget what I did in the past and try to grasp what we’re doing now.”

They’re still using a lot of the same verbiage in Washington that we’re using here. So, I think it’s going to be an easy transition,” McVay said. “Not taking anything away from it, but I think his experience being familiar with the verbiage, while there’s a couple little nuances, for the most part he’s a really smart contentious guy that’s always done a nice job of picking things up pretty quickly. And it seemed like he did that today.”

McVay said Carrier looked good in his first practice with Los Angeles, showing some of his positional flexabilty. And because Carrier is already well versed in the offensive system, he’ll be able to contribute alongside Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett in many of the same ways Temarrick Hemingway would have prior to his injury.

“He can play in-line, he can play in the backfield at some of those move spots that you see us utilize — some of the tight ends,” McVay said. “I think when you add him to the mix with Tyler and with Gerald’s emergence, you feel good about those three, especially knowing how important and how valuable Temarrick was to us. So we feel very fortunate to be able to add a player like Derek.”

And the tight end has had a favorable impression of the new teammates in his room.

“Great group of guys. They all bring something different to the table, whether it’s being great in the run game and pass game,” Carrier said. “That’s kind of something I’ve liked to do as part of my career — kind of grab things from people that I’ve learned from along the way, and try to incorporate that into any own game. So it’s a great learning environment.”

Carrier described himself as an “all-around tight end,” adding, “I take pride at being at the point of attack in the run game, and being able to make plays in the passing game. I try to do everything to the best of my ability.”

He’s looking forward to working with McVay once again, saying he has a “great admiration and respect” for the head coach.

“Just a great coach, great person,” Carrier said of McVay. “Knows how to relate to players and knows how to coach, get through to guys. And, like I said, just a great overall guy.”

Carrier’s whirlwind few days will let up a bit with Los Angeles’ day off on Tuesday. But being in a Rams uniform for Sunday’s game agains the Colts should have him feeling centered once again.

“I think at the end of the day, it’s football. It’s a sport that I love to play,” Carrier said. “Just different location and different team.”

[www.therams.com]

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I hope Carrier is good at pass blocking, the rest of the TE's leave a lot to be desired helping out the OL.

Rams Goff and OL is going to miss Harkey's solid blocking.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope Carrier is good at pass blocking, the rest of the TE's leave a lot to be desired helping out the OL.

Supposed to be his strength although he's better at blocking in line, then as a FB apparently, but that is understandable because he's more of a conventional TE...Keep in mind though Carrier was a WR in college and then converted to a TE.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Here was a post of mine two years ago after the 'Skins rolled us for 182 rushing yards, marveling their approach to TE blocking even included a converted WR like "Mark"(!) Carrier blocking so much better than the Rams TEs:

Washington of all teams demonstrated how tight ends should actually block. Almost every highlight run was off tackle or broke to the outside. Jordan Reed and Mark Carrier -- a converted WR! -- consistently had JL, Ogletree, Barron, whoever, pushed back and locked up, sometimes 10, 15 yards downfield. Some of it was bad LB play, but mostly it was just lowly-regarded Washington TEs deciding to give 110% effort at blocking.

Carrier is the perfect foil to what the Rams have in their TEs blocking. Scout.com summed him up as, "As far as blocking, he shows the effort and 'want-to' but he has technique flaws that will need polishing."

The Rams TEs do not have the "effort and want-to" at blocking, it's as simple as that.

The reason is that's the part that can't be taught, and the Rams keep acquiring guys that don't have it. Kendricks is a weapon in the passing game and he is an effective screen blocker and H-back -- but look at a Jordan Reed who also catches the ball and actually wants to block and does it all for $595,000, not the $5.6 million of Kendricks or the zero blocking of the $8.3 million Cook.

I don't blame Cook or Kendricks -- they are what they are -- it comes down to exactly the identity thing. The Rams are missing the dominating blocking skill at TE, yet still claim to want to be a power identity running team. It makes no sense.

Even the lowly Redskins seem to get it. They got decimated by injuries in training camp, so when they were desperately trying to add any TE with a pulse over the offseason, they picked up Anthony McCoy -- a guy that hasn't played since 2012. Why? “Mainly we’re looking for him in the core, blocking for the running game,” Gruden said. “It looked like he was very good at that."

Compare that to Fisher who has had many years to get any warm body to fill that role, but instead keeps wanting TE hybrid or "Swiss army knife" types. Gruden refers to a run blocking TE as "the core", does Fisher? The Redskins don't have great blocking TEs yet, but they probably eventually will since that's their identity and they are looking for it. I don't know what the Rams will eventually get for TE blocking, they don't seem to value it.

What exactly is the Rams' "core"? I think that's what we're talking about when we talk about identity.

I like seeing McVay bringing in guys like this, to me it suggests he learned that if you want to run the football you have to find the willing & able blocking pieces, even if need to keep turning over the roster.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
What exactly is the Rams' "core"? I think that's what we're talking about when we talk about identity.
fisher_nightmare.jpg

giphy.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Read @Fatbot well written summary....that's where I'm at....I was gonna add, maybe he could help Higbee....maybe motivate him to be...more...but after reading that...it's so true...it's between the chest. Does he have the heart to block? Make the tough grab?...This to me spell the end to Higbee....dude was such a disappointment this preseason.

I'm glad we have a TE that can run....does no good to have a...ineffective seam stretcher going in there.....Now, I wanna SEE all this blocking. I remember that Skins game....I just wanted JL55 gone...never noticed who was doing all that blocking.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Carrier's mere presence at practice and perhaps a few snaps in games will be a good example for both Higbee and Everett.

Might even "incentivise" them to quickly master the art of blocking as a TE, you know?

McVay is gonna have his top drawer complete TE's (note the plural?) one damned way or another.

I'm very impressed by the way McVay keeps raising the bar at every position group. This guy wants to WIN games, y'all. And win them right now. There seems to be precious little tolerance in him for mediocrity.

DAMN! I love that in a HC...

Mick

Pro Bowler
Just don't think we'll miss Harkey's "solid blocking" at all. Watching the 4th preseason game, against those just hoping to make a roster, he looked awful trying to block. I think he was just the best of a sorry bunch under the previous regime. Looking forward to our TE group doing more than making up for a disaster of a line, and getting downfield and making some plays.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I think he was just the best of a sorry bunch under the previous regime.

This maybe true. But, I don't remember anyone having an issue with Harkey leading Gurley through the "B" gap on the left side for many of his 10+ yard runs as a rookie.

Rainram

Starter
I'm looking forward to seeing this Offense. There's a lot to be excited about frankly. I predict a more minimum of 27 points in the first game.

In regards to the offense, I'm pretty excited.

In regards to the defense...mmm....apprehensive.

Mick

Pro Bowler
This maybe true. But, I don't remember anyone having an issue with Harkey leading Gurley through the "B" gap on the left side for many of his 10+ yard runs as a rookie.
As a FB? Sure, he got the job done, but as an inline TE, he doesn't. Different offensive system...gone is the Fish ground and pound, and in comes a system that will open the field up, and create more opportunities for not just Gurley, but the TE as well. I'm excited to watch this new offense, because anything is better than watching a rehash of the previous years of offensive futility.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Watching the 4th preseason game, against those just hoping to make a roster, he looked awful trying to block.
I'm with Mick here...never understood all this "great blocking TE" stuff....seems not agile enough to make most blocks...like most of our players...I see more "missed" blocks by this team....not sure if it was the players....or scheme before. And when we do make contact...it the reachy, grabby type of blocks...not break your facemask type.

Mick

Pro Bowler
First time I've done this, so this might suck, but I went back and watched Harkey for the first few series. We aren't going to miss this Fisher era level of play.

Clip one: Harkey gets to the next level, then just arms a guy, and doesn't come close to sustaining a block...his guy makes the tackle. Reaching too much?

View: https://vimeo.com/232695059

Clip two: Just an Ole block...goal is to seal inside, but he just lunges, gets beat, and RB gets dropped...this one is the first one that I noticed live.

View: https://vimeo.com/232695049

Clip three: I think the thing I notice most about his blocking, at least from an inline position, is the lack of drive. After first contact, he's all arms and reaching, instead of getting inside and driving through a block. This block isn't terrible, but shows that lack of drive...as with all three clips, he is there to pick his RB up after his assigned man is in on the tackle.

View: https://vimeo.com/232695035

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
“He’s going to play,” head coach Sean McVay said after Monday’s practice. “He’s going to be ready to go. He’ll be active, he’ll play, and he’ll see snaps for sure.”

Shot across the bow to Higs.

Read @Fatbot well written summary....that's where I'm at....I was gonna add, maybe he could help Higbee....maybe motivate him to be...more...but after reading that...it's so true...it's between the chest. Does he have the heart to block? Make the tough grab?...This to me spell the end to Higbee....dude was such a disappointment this preseason.

I don't think Carrier is talented enough to be a long term answer for McVay. That said, I do agree that Higbee needs to get his butt in gear and start showing it on the field. He was definitely a disappointment this preseason.

The good thing for Higs is his talent will buy him time. There's not a lot of guys around at his size with his raw tools as a pass catcher. He's going to get more of a look through the early part of the season and if he doesn't raise the bar then yeah, McVay will phase him out and replace him this offseason through the addition of more competition just like we saw them do at WR this offseason.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
...Fisher who has had many years to get any warm body to fill that role, but instead keeps wanting TE hybrid or "Swiss army knife" types.

I like seeing McVay bringing in guys like this, to me it suggests he learned that if you want to run the football you have to find the willing & able blocking pieces....
I've been telling anyone who would listen for years that the Rams need to spend, (even if it's a fifth round draft pick) on the biggest slobberknocker fullback who lives to nail a linebacker at the second level.
A fullback who says, "follow me" and then knocks somebody on their rear end to spring the ball carrier.

I was hoping that's what they were doing with Sam Rogers but I guess he didn't quite measure up (as of yet).

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
More and more every day I'm convinced McVay really wants to create a TE friendly Offensive scheme! Do you think we can expect a lot of 3 TE sets!?!:thinking::cautious:o_O

Dan Poplawski

Rookie
Name
Dan Poplawski
It's apperent that McVay is all in on improving Goff's chances of being what we thought he could be.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams "Goffense" needs a solid, dependable blocker from the TE's. Higbee and Everett ain't it.