New: Rams Reset at QB With Bradford/Foles Trade (4 Point Analysis)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What I haven't heard pointed out so far is that the Rams have three young QB's who have had excellent games as NFL starters. IMO the focus is not so much on Foles as it is playing the odds that one of them, Keenum, Davis or Foles will show significant progress and take the starting job.

I think the starting job is clearly Foles' to lose. Unless he absolutely gives the job away, it is his this fall -- barring a possible first or 2nd round QB who wows in camp/preseason play.

STL-Rams

Starter
This trade was as lopsided as Shane makes it out to be, in no way did the Eagles come out on top.

Les, it is good toi hear from you. How are things with you. It seems that we obviously agree here. That said, I wish Sam the very best.

STL-Rams

Starter
I still can't believe that we were able to get what we did from the eagles. It feels like we were permitted to legally commit a felony against them.

Pretty amazing re: coming out ahead on draft compensation when comparing the resumes of the two QBs and the salaries of each player.

STL-Rams

Starter
Russell Wilson beat out Matt Flynn after Flynn signed the big contract. I hope there is a legit competition in camp and they go the QB who gives us the best chance to win.

While I think it is Foles' job to lose, it is almost always best to have a legit QB competion unless you are a team in the rare case of having a Brady, Rodgers, Manning, etc...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Les, it is good toi hear from you. How are things with you. It seems that we obviously agree here. That said, I wish Sam the very best.

Things are fine Shane and I'm settling in to the new job nicely, and it's nice to see you writing about the Rams, you do the best and most complete job.

I hope Sam does well but I suspect the Eagles and Kelley are going to have egg on their faces eventually.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope Sam does well but I suspect the Eagles and Kelley are going to have egg on their faces eventually.

I hope he stays healthy. I especially hope he takes at least one snap for them, since my understanding is that would mean the Eagles would get at best a fourth rounder from the conditional pick.

Dick84

If Foles isn't the starter than the Rams actually lost the trade & are in huge trouble.

STL-Rams

Starter
Fisher just said Foles is the starting QB in his presser. Things can change, but that should put an end to the Foles/Keenum/Davis QB battle talk by some people here. It's Foles' job to lose.

Agreed fully

STL-Rams

Starter
QB competition is great, but A. Davis has a noodle arm. Not sure about Keenum, but if he somehow lights it on fire & beats out Foles, more power to him. But, it's likely that if Keenum or Davis beats out Foles, it's because Foles gets here & lays an egg. NO ONE wants that... if that happens we would have essentially traded Bradford for a 2016 2nd round pick & trading up from a 5th to a 4th in 2014.

Good points

STL-Rams

Starter
Cant see how there wont be competition. Like @Greg Stone said, (and was a fantastic point) is that we have 3 QB on the roster who started NFL games and played well. Each QB has had multiple QB rating games over 100.
Fair enough Foles is the starter going in to TC. And yes, Fisher is loyal to his QB. But there will be opportunity for another guy to shine.
And of course this doesn't even consider a rookie QB being on the team. If they draft one, and all QB play well, you might see a Davis or Keenum traded before the season starts.
Its a good situation for sure

Hope you are doing well, Deiterbrock. It has been a minute.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
If Foles isn't the starter than the Rams actually lost the trade & are in huge trouble.
You know what? If Foles is not the starter, I'm not so sure the Rams lost this trade as I am not optimistic that Bradford will stay on the field all season. Receiving a 2nd rounder next year, makes me feel a lot better about this trade. Don't get me wrong, I will be extremely disappointed if Foles doesn't start.

STL-Rams

Starter
Pretty funny how that still seems like a good deal lol.

If Bradford does not stay healthy, you make a very good point, particularly when considering the cap savings the Rams realized this year based off of that trade.

STL-Rams

Starter
"You have no idea how excited I am just to have the opportunity to come to St. Louis and play my NFL career there," Bradford said. "It's just a blessing and I can't wait to get there and get to work."

5 years later:

"The way I look at it the Eagles wanted me, they pursued me and I'm happy to be in this building. I'm ready to get to work."

What else is the man going to say? The NFL is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league. All the best to you Sam but obviously not against the Rams.

Hope all is well, my friend. I will message you later on.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
If Bradford does not stay healthy, you make a very good point, particularly when considering the cap savings the Rams realized this year based off of that trade.
Good point, Shane. Many forget that the cap savings alone by trading Bradford is helping shape this team.

RamWoodie

Legend
WHOA!!!??? I been so busy working lately, I never even heard this until today.

I don't like this trade at all!!! Obviously it has to do with money and Sam's back to back ACL surgeries in my mind. I'm going to reserve judgment at this time but I really don't see this as a good move.

I'm not sure how this all came about...but over the weeks more will come to the forefront.

tbux

Rookie
I honestly think this trade was good for both. If Sam stays healthy, he thrives in that system, much like the one he had in Okla with one of the best RBs in the game, and surely Philly will look to add a WR in draft or FA(some good ones in draft) to go with Matthews and Riley. Their run game looks potent. I think injuries are more luck of the draw, and I hope he stays healthy for once, he deserves to.

We made out in a big way financially, and I think Foles is as good in our system as Sam would be. No he doesn't have Sam's arm, but surely good enough. We had an offer we couldn't refuse, and if we FINALLY stay away from the big injuries, we should be a playoff contending team. Truly believe that. thought that with Sam as well. Just a few adds on Oline, and we are there. D will be special- top 3 in my opinion. We are almost there!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I guess the end result is that both teams win if both QB's remain healthy.

Great piece, Shane. Thanks. It's really nice that we've seemed to amass a collection of fans who can talk intelligently about our team, especially when there is so much emotional noise that we have to contend with.

FrankenRam

Starter
Fisher just said Foles is the starting QB in his presser. Things can change, but that should put an end to the Foles/Keenum/Davis QB battle talk by some people here. It's Foles' job to lose.

Some might say that's the kiss of death right now. :)

Dick84

You know what? If Foles is not the starter, I'm not so sure the Rams lost this trade as I am not optimistic that Bradford will stay on the field all season. Receiving a 2nd rounder next year, makes me feel a lot better about this trade. Don't get me wrong, I will be extremely disappointed if Foles doesn't start.

You're right. Cap and that 2nd... Can always use that to move up next year if Foles isn't the answer.
My larger point, I guess, is that if Davis or Keenum are the starter... this *team* is in serious trouble and Foles would have to be a total and complete failure.