New Rams mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Didn't they feel like Stacy was their bell cow the year before Mason fell into their laps?

BTW, I don't like the chances of Perriman even getting out of the top 20 picks

And just like last year, I'm not banking on the Rams selecting a QB in the first three rounds.

Stacy did not go to Auburn and with Gurley I have durability concerns, however, he reminds more of Eric Dickerson than anybody ever has.

That's a meteoric rise for Perriman, however, I will play along and still see a WR out there because one has to fall they can't all be drafted by 41 (Sammie Coates Auburn theme)

Rams got caught with their pants down last year at QB, this year, fool me once shame on me, fool me twice???? Fisher had eyes for Petty at the combine...Just a gut feeling.

Last edited:

FrankenRam

Starter
I disagree with you on Sasser, he is a better route runner and has better hip flexibility than Lucas, and he is well built and doesn't have chicken-legs like Washington. And I'm going to go back and watch Fisher some more and keep in mind what jrry suggested.

Stacy was barely getting any playing time last year, I don't like to project trades in my mocks, but if Gurley is drafted, Stacy is likely either dealt or released. Cunningham is a nice RB, but his main role is for short-yardage situations. Him as a backup is easily replaceable.

I would bet on Pead being gone before Stacy. My suspicion is they wouldn't get much of an offer for Stacy, so he winds up being more valuable to the Rams being on the roster vs being trade bait.

Somewhat surprisingly, there hasn't been the annual "Pead is going to have a Breakout Yr in 2015!" declarations yet. :rolleyes:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Stacy did not go to Auburn and with Gurley I have durability concerns, however, he reminds more of Eric Dickerson than anybody ever has.

That's a meteoric rise for Perriman, however, I play along and still see a WR out there because one has to fall they can all be drafted by 41.

Rams got caught with their pants down last year at QB, this year, fool me once shame on me, fool me twice???? Fisher had eyes for Petty at the combine...Just a gut feeling.

Not sure if the Auburn connection matters. Minus that big run vs. the Raiders where the defender blew his assignment, Mason averaged 3.9 yards per carry just like Stacy the year before. And Gurley could be Fisher's game breaker Chris Johnson who was selected in the 1st round the year after recent 2nd Rounder Lendale White ran for over 1,000 yards & the prior year's 2nd round RB Chris Henry did little as a rookie. Who knows?

And I think the meteoric rise will only be for some draftnik media or fans who haven't been paying attention.

I'm not sure if the Rams got caught with their pants down or the player that they liked (Carr I believe) wasn't available at their selection. They had plenty of chances to draft a QB after that, but decided against it.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Robinson, Mason, Bates, Fairley & Blake...Methinks it matters to a degree and in this case the fifth degree.

Sure. But, my point was whether or that not mattered in regards to any possible selection of Gurley.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I would bet on Pead being gone before Stacy. My suspicion is they wouldn't get much of an offer for Stacy, so he winds up being more valuable to the Rams being on the roster vs being trade bait.

Somewhat surprisingly, there hasn't been the annual "Pead is going to have a Breakout Yr in 2015!" declarations yet. :rolleyes:

Pead offers little-to-nothing and will likely be cut this year and be out of the NFL a year later. Everyone in this league knows that he's a bust and a massive headcase. Stacy, on the other hand, would have likely had 1,000 yards and at least ten touchdowns in 2013, if they had started him instead of Richardson. He'll never be a starter, but there's many worse #2 backs in the league than Zac Stacy, and some teams don't have any running game to speak of right now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That's a meteoric rise for Perriman, however, I will play along and still see a WR out there because one has to fall they can't all be drafted by 41 (Sammie Coates Auburn theme)

I'm really hoping not. As I recall Fisher even said that Petty hasn't done a lot of the things he'll be asked to do in this league. Don't draft a guy for his arm strength. That's not how you find successful QBs later in the draft. Look for a guy who has a flaw(or flaws) and is overlooked due to that but compensates with his ball placement, instincts, and mental acuity. That's how you hit on a QB later in the draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pead offers little-to-nothing and will likely be cut this year and be out of the NFL a year later. Everyone in this league knows that he's a bust and a massive headcase. Stacy, on the other hand, would have likely had 1,000 yards and at least ten touchdowns in 2013, if they had started him instead of Richardson. He'll never be a starter, but there's many worse #2 backs in the league than Zac Stacy, and some teams don't have any running game to speak of right now.

There are two key things you're overlooking that could save Pead. Now, I don't expect it to but it is still worth nothing...
1. Pead is a very good special teams gunner whereas Stacy does not play special teams
and
2. Pead's best attributes are related to his ability to contribute to the passing game...Stacy is not a good pass catcher

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

Its happening. You can count on it. Pead's going to be our Danny Woodhead out of the backfield. Utilized mainly as a receiver and on screens etc.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
There are two key things you're overlooking that could save Pead. Now, I don't expect it to but it is still worth nothing...
1. Pead is a very good special teams gunner whereas Stacy does not play special teams
and
2. Pead's best attributes are related to his ability to contribute to the passing game...Stacy is not a good pass catcher

Stacy may not be a natural pass-catcher, but he's good after the catch (8.4 yards-per-catch in 2014) and he can catch out of the backfield (almost thirty receptions in 2013). Pead can't even get on the field, and he's coming off of an ACL. Stacy won't have to play special teams when he's the number two back on some team (yes, I'd trade him in a heartbeat). Watts is a much better special teams gunner, and for all of the crap that I've given Chase Reynolds, I'd still keep him over Pead.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm really hoping not. As I recall Fisher even said that Petty hasn't done a lot of the things he'll be asked to do in this league. Don't draft a guy for his arm strength. That's not how you find successful QBs later in the draft. Look for a guy who has a flaw(or flaws) and is overlooked due to that but compensates with his ball placement, instincts, and mental acuity. That's how you hit on a QB later in the draft.

I always defer to you & @Memphis Ram when it comes to the draft, but there is some things I just like about Bryce Petty and I understand coming from the spread is a major issue and Grayson is far better from the style of offense he was under, however, Petty's arm is right there and he has enough elusiveness to keep plays alive factor in that IMO, he'll be a quick study and after one year under Cignetti & Weinke, he could offer some major upside.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I always defer to you & @Memphis Ram when it comes to the draft, but there is some things I just like about Bryce Petty and I understand coming from the spread is a major issue and Grayson is far better from the style of offense he was under, however, Petty's arm is right there and he has enough elusiveness to keep plays alive factor in that IMO, he'll be a quick study and after one year under Cignetti & Weinke, he could offer some major upside.

Other than his deep ball, petty is really inaccurate though. And when you come from an offense that doesn't ask you to read defenses or make calls in the huddle, he's going to have a huge learning curve at the NFL level. I don't think Mike Mayock could of said it any better...going from the Baylor offense to an NFL offense is like going from elementary school to college.

Even if he develops his game, I dint see the accuracy improving.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Upside at the QB position just isn't dictated by arm strength and mobility.

Petty isn't just coming from a spread...he's coming from arguably the worst type of spread. Baylor's offense spreads the field horizontally more than any other type of offense which creates massive windows. And they run a hurry up which limits the defensive looks and packages they face. Petty's reads were extremely simplistic, his progression system was nothing like what he'll be asked to do in the NFL, and his passing windows were enormous. And the guy still wasn't NEARLY as accurate as he should have been. I don't trust him.

He didn't handle exotic looks or pressure well. I don't believe the ability to read defenses and mental processing speed is there. And I also don't see the accuracy there on the more common NFL throws.

RGIII was a FAR better player in my eyes his final year at Baylor and look at the issues he's had in the NFL. Chris Cooley pointed out last year that RGIII was failing in making even the simplest NFL reads in a WCO.

I think it would be a major mistake to pass on a guy like Grayson who has shown he can do the things expected of him in the NFL for a guy like Petty because Petty has a stronger arm and is better at extending plays.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stacy may not be a natural pass-catcher, but he's good after the catch (8.4 yards-per-catch in 2014) and he can catch out of the backfield (almost thirty receptions in 2013). Pead can't even get on the field, and he's coming off of an ACL. Stacy won't have to play special teams when he's the number two back on some team (yes, I'd trade him in a heartbeat). Watts is a much better special teams gunner, and for all of the crap that I've given Chase Reynolds, I'd still keep him over Pead.

Stacy is a poor pass catcher which is why he's not used on passing downs. What he can do after the catch is irrelevant when we're not going to use him in those situations.

And Stacy not having to play on special teams on other teams is also irrelevant. He wasn't the #2 HB for us last year. That was Cunningham. Who actually did contribute on special teams.

Like I said, I don't expect Pead to make the team but he does have things going for him.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion

Petty isn't just coming from a spread...he's coming from arguably the worst type of spread. Baylor's offense spreads the field horizontally more than any other type of offense which creates massive windows. And they run a hurry up which limits the defensive looks and packages they face. Petty's reads were extremely simplistic, his progression system was nothing like what he'll be asked to do in the NFL, and his passing windows were enormous. And the guy still wasn't NEARLY as accurate as he should have been. I don't trust him.

He didn't handle exotic looks or pressure well. I don't believe the ability to read defenses and mental processing speed is there. And I also don't see the accuracy there on the more common NFL throws.

RGIII was a FAR better player in my eyes his final year at Baylor and look at the issues he's had in the NFL. Chris Cooley pointed out last year that RGIII was failing in making even the simplest NFL reads in a WCO.

I think it would be a major mistake to pass on a guy like Grayson who has shown he can do the things expected of him in the NFL for a guy like Petty because Petty has a stronger arm and is better at extending plays.

I think a lot of people fans and scouts alike fall in love with arm strength and mobility. But I agree with you that doesn't make up for other shortcomings a QB may have. I'm actually not a huge fan of "mobile" QBs.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod

I agree with your analysis Jrry although I'm not totally sold on Grayson either. And I'm not convinced we should take a QB just for the sake of taking a QB. That said, as long as Snisher are happy that they can work with whomever they choose I'll be relaxed about the pick.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Good points I guess Quarterbacks in college should start considering what type of offense is run and how they will develop accordingly.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good points I guess Quarterbacks in college should start considering what type of offense is run and how they will develop accordingly.

I hope they do. That will help the Gators and their new HC. :D