New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iced

Yes, all true but their's no difference both teams have a long term lease that both can get out of.

No it's still not the same. The Jags would have to show money lost in one year followed by being below NFL Average for the next two years. Plus the cost of breaking the lease and the NFL having to open books.

I mean of course it's not really being talked about since he has said he isn't going to move and put in money for renovation, and is continuing to upgrade the stadium.

Comparing Jags stadium to other 3 is apples to oranges - not even remotely close, nor the same.

iced

If it's a true year to year, there'd be no penalties to leave. That's a pretty basic legal principle.

It's a basic option in a lease and its very common.

The fact that the Chargers have to let them know every year that where they're playing is pretty obvious that its Year to year

beej

Rookie
Sorry but the once they move needs to be blue because nothing has happened.
HEY! trolls get to post in any color they want! but once they move, I will no longer be using blue. Maybe green or red or yellow...no not yellow either. And no one will be able to stop me because no one will know who I am!!!!

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad
Every time a team has moved there has been a financial penalty, including when the Rams moved to St.Louis....

I've no clue what the lease situation was in Anaheim when the Rams left, but there shouldn't be a penalty. Of course, the NFL could impose its own penalty outside of the lease itself.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Everyone here, whether I agree with you or not, I think you're excellent posters.
This topic sucks and it sucks me in.
It brings out the worst in me but its too important to me to ignore. Wish I didn't give a shit.

Pro Rams to LA fans: I understand your position and excitement. You guys have been very respectful here. I will always be pro STL, but I will do my best to be as respectful and understanding as possible. We all love the RAMS, that's far more important than anything else.

Still, I think they stay.... but who knows.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well of course I agree there. None of the fans are going to be happy short term unless no one moves to LA. I'm only trying to speculate how the owners view that distance in regards to SD. That's why Columbia was brought up.
I still think the main thing that is being left out of this discussion is the sheer number of people and corporations in the Bay Area, LA, SD, and the state as a whole.

I get the idea that the NFL wouldn't want to vacate a market like St Louis that has showed great fan support for their team. But the Bay Area has more than enough of what it takes to support two teams, the LA Area could potentially support even more than two teams, and the SD area is the 8th largest NFL market. Add into that, the other large population bases along the CA coast, the Vegas area, and the San Joaquin Valley and you really have huge markets that could be taken advantage of.

I get the argument but if I'm looking at it from a purely business standpoint, I have to expect that in all of this, the NFL is not wanting to lose a large portion of the SD market or the Bay Area market while trying to pull in the LA market as well.

With only five teams in the entire West, I have to think there is a lot more money to be made there.

It's an uphill battle for Peacock IMO and if it weren't for him coming on board, the fat lady would have already finished her encores. This why I have said that if DP pulls this off for St Louis, he deserves a statue in front of the new David Peacock Riverfront Stadium.

Ask anybody in LA if they accept the Clippers or the Angels as his/her own. LA will never accept the Chargers nor should it.
Actually, I know quite a few who do. Many of the Clippers fans are band wagoners but many are not. Still, when the Angels were in the playoffs and now with the Clippers, winning brought a lot of fans which it always does. There is a reason the Angels changed their name to include Los Angeles.

None of this has anything to do with what's actually happening in the NFL right now.

I'm actually saying the NFL owners want the most markets served. Short term everyone is going to be upset. The rub is actually how you retain the most fans in the short term and grow the most in the long term. I don't believe people will forever forsake football if there's a team within a reasonable distance. So yes I do think after 10 years you'd see plenty of LA Charger fans in SC. The same with the scenario where the Raiders come here. Fans will adjust.

I'd have to say that the NFL wants the most lucrative markets served, period. IMO - the St Louis market will have to demonstrate that it has all the financial aspects in place to outweigh the idea of an additional team serving the West. Hopefully they can do that.

(Stu is an example of that, flying from Washington to Florida)
OREGON damn it! :mad: :D

Whichever one does -- stays, the other winds up in LA sharing Inglewood. If neither Oakland or San Diego step up - then one goes to LA and the other goes to St. Louis. Just my take.
Seems odd. I think that if SD doesn't get something done and Carson is actually viable, the Rams stay in St Louis. I also think that Stan would want to work out something with St Louis if the Carson plan is a go - even if a few of the boxes aren't checked.

It'd be a greater win for the NFL as a whole to move SD and Oakland to LA, then uproot the Rams. If STL steps up this will be the solution.
Possibly and maybe even likely. Pretty hard to ignore the absolutely massive CA markets though.

I think it's going to be in the range of a $750m investment to relocate and buy in to the stadium in STL. Then you've got the G4 on top (which won't be possible with any team other than the Rams.) It's going to be almost as expensive as buying a team to get here.
I highly doubt they would charge a $500 million relocation fee for the St Louis market. Two reasons: the relocation fee is supposedly based largely on potential revenue, and IF (huge if IMO) they were to do this, it would be a way of trying to appease the St Louis market while taking advantage of greater revenue streams.

Again - IF - this were to take place, I wouldn't doubt that they would not only waive the relocation fee and use part of the LA fee but also allow the maximum G4 monies to be used as St Louis is a current NFL market and still will be when they make whatever decision.

2)Breaking their lease is extremely expensive - about $100 million...Chargers pay $17 mill to leave. Additionally to break the lease the Jags/NFL would have to open their books to prove losses (Which is definitely not gonna happen)
You still don't pay a fee to move on a month to month. They have a three month window to inform SD they intend to terminate the lease. And if terminating, they would STILL have to pay an early termination fee.

They are providing upgrades to temporary facilities in the deal. While not operating costs, I don't think any NFL team has to really worry about those. It's not like they lose money.
That really depends on what the payoff is on the notes by GS's investors. If teams are operating on what they report, then adding that note payment could theoretically make them into a money losing operation. I'm not saying it will BTW. But if the NFL sees it as a possibility, I can't see them liking the idea of the press that would come with a team essentially being foreclosed on.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's a basic option in a lease and its very common.

The fact that the Chargers have to let them know every year that where they're playing is pretty obvious that its Year to year
Not sure what year to year leases you would be talking about. And the Chargers do not have to let them know they are staying, only that they intend to terminate. That's a big difference.

iced

I've no clue what the lease situation was in Anaheim when the Rams left, but there shouldn't be a penalty. Of course, the NFL could impose its own penalty outside of the lease itself.

apparently i edited the post a tad too slow, ooops... heres my message

"It's a basic option in a lease and its very common. The fact that the Chargers have to let them know every year that where they're playing is pretty obvious that its Year to year"

iced

Not sure what year to year leases you would be talking about. And the Chargers do not have to let them know they are staying, only that they intend to terminate. That's a big difference.

either way they're free to leave every year.. there is nothing committing them long or really even short term.

bluecoconuts

Legend
No it's still not the same. The Jags would have to show money lost in one year followed by being below NFL Average for the next two years. Plus the cost of breaking the lease and the NFL having to open books.

I mean of course it's not really being talked about since he has said he isn't going to move and put in money for renovation, and is continuing to upgrade the stadium.

Comparing Jags stadium to other 3 is apples to oranges - not even remotely close, nor the same.

I thought they needed to show they made less than NFL average over a two year period (doesn't need to be next year, could be the previous two years or whatever) to break from the lease freely, or else pay the 100 million or whatever.

OREGON damn it! :mad: :D

Yeah yeah yeah, whatever nothing but rain, hippies, and hipsters up there, I lump you all in together. :p

iced

I thought they needed to show they made less than NFL average over a two year period (doesn't need to be next year, could be the previous two years or whatever) to break from the lease freely, or else pay the 100 million or whatever.

http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/3830/could-l-a-purchase-end-moving-talk
However, the Jaguars could break the lease with no penalties if Khan were to show the team lost money in one year and was below the NFL’s revenue average the following two years.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah yeah yeah, whatever nothing but rain, hippies, and hipsters up there, I lump you all in together. :p

Why I oughta... and BTW - you are but a stone's throw from world centers of hippies and hipsters. Bet you'd like some of our rain right about now though - eh? Oh wait. We haven't been getting any either.

Yeah, now they just need to show what it looks like in Carson and we're all set. :LOL:
Gotta admit I was thinking the same thing. :eek:

bluecoconuts

Legend

Yeah, that's saying that they need to show they lost money and made less than average the next two. It's not worded clearly, the way it's written could mean that Kahn can simply just say "I lost money in 2013, and 2014 and 2015 I didn't make NFL average, so I'm leaving in 2016." or even 2005, 6 and 7, etc.

Obviously they wont open their books, but he can get out penalty free if that happens.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I keep seeing Shane's face as the OP of this monster thread....When did he abandon it? lol...

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I still think the main thing that is being left out of this discussion is the sheer number of people and corporations in the Bay Area, LA, SD, and the state as a whole.

I get the idea that the NFL wouldn't want to vacate a market like St Louis that has showed great fan support for their team. But the Bay Area has more than enough of what it takes to support two teams, the LA Area could potentially support even more than two teams, and the SD area is the 8th largest NFL market. Add into that, the other large population bases along the CA coast, the Vegas area, and the San Joaquin Valley and you really have huge markets that could be taken advantage of.

I get the argument but if I'm looking at it from a purely business standpoint, I have to expect that in all of this, the NFL is not wanting to lose a large portion of the SD market or the Bay Area market while trying to pull in the LA market as well.

With only five teams in the entire West, I have to think there is a lot more money to be made there.

It's an uphill battle for Peacock IMO and if it weren't for him coming on board, the fat lady would have already finished her encores. This why I have said that if DP pulls this off for St Louis, he deserves a statue in front of the new David Peacock Riverfront Stadium.

I highly doubt they would charge a $500 million relocation fee for the St Louis market. Two reasons: the relocation fee is supposedly based largely on potential revenue, and IF (huge if IMO) they were to do this, it would be a way of trying to appease the St Louis market while taking advantage of greater revenue streams.

Again - IF - this were to take place, I wouldn't doubt that they would not only waive the relocation fee and use part of the LA fee but also allow the maximum G4 monies to be used as St Louis is a current NFL market and still will be when they make whatever decision.

That really depends on what the payoff is on the notes by GS's investors. If teams are operating on what they report, then adding that note payment could theoretically make them into a money losing operation. I'm not saying it will BTW. But if the NFL sees it as a possibility, I can't see them liking the idea of the press that would come with a team essentially being foreclosed on.

Is there really an under served portion of the market? Oakland has basically told the Raiders to shove off.
Also, you bring in a fourth team, still doesn't change the fact that two of them need stadiums and with LA filled they never will get new stadiums. So yes you can bring in another team but you've still got your problems in SC plus you've just lost a chunk of the Midwest. Inglewood doesn't seem to solve any problems. Sure Stan is richer, but there's public money left behind along with your market in St Louis and you've severely hampered half the teams in SC ability to increase value.

I agree with the relocation fees. I think the NFL would charter the planes and cater the meals free of charge if Davis and Peacock ever sat down to a meeting. It just solves every problem with a nice neat bow, and for chump change really. Golden palaces for everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.