New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For everyone, this is not about whether the stadium gets built, it will, this is about who pays and who benefits.

This is Saint Louis. The stadium WILL be built because unions own the city and they want to do the demolition and build it. The stadium will cost far more than projected from this fact alone. I have had a long and interesting relationship with the city and unions. I was a non-union top level provider of technology for 15 years, and trust me, in the city, they couldn't care less about quality or value, they want money and donations. You get to make the decisions if you have the largest donations, and those are currently stolen from workers with a union card. They WILL get the work and the politicians WILL get paid.

The next in line are politicians who want to benefit from those union deals. All of the scrambling is to gain control or get a piece of the billion dollar pie.

In the end, this will be a boon for STL in taxes, so it will be built, no matter how many judges have to be bought or coerced. People think this is up to us or the courts? Please.

Kroenke wants a new stadium and his billions dictate what will happen, not us. Are we all aware he still has never even said he wants to move the Rams? Are we all aware his land in LA is slated as a stadium OR retail complex by a man who nearly rules the US in retail complexes?

It will cost Kroenke BILLIONS to move the Rams or, around what, $450 million to stay where he lives, where he fought to bring the team, where he has said over and over he wants the team?

The tiniest market in the NFL, Greenbay, is 13th in revenue. This "LA is the great revenue market" is nonsense. It's the greatest bluff of football. Build it or we will go to the land of milk and honey, and everyone builds, and no one goes. The reality is that with one of the worst decades in NFL history, the Rams are still very profitable. Few teams could be in that enviable position elsewhere. Saint Louis is a sports town and is recognized nationwide as a "MUST HAVE" city. They MUST have the NFL because they SUPPORT the NFL.

There is ZERO chance the NFL allows a move if the stadium is built. None.

The Raiders or Chargers or both are destined for LA because they won't pony up. STL will, one way or another. The forces in play own the city and they are all on Kroenke's side no matter how they portray themselves. They are posers and deceivers, looking to get paid.

This is a reality post, not a conspiracy post. We already know the rich, politicians, and unions conspire, especially in STL.

I'm 100% sure that Kroenke, STL politicians, and the unions will get exactly what they want. We will pay, they will benefit.

So in your own words a man who nearly owns the US in retail complexes is going to rent a stadium for his team. The faulty logic there is mind boggling. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If he doesn't move the Rams and they stay in St Louis they will play in a stadium Kroenke owns and not a publicly owned stadium. All of his other pro sports teams play in stadium he owns and they used little or no public money to build.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
For everyone, this is not about whether the stadium gets built, it will, this is about who pays and who benefits.

This is Saint Louis. The stadium WILL be built because unions own the city and they want to do the demolition and build it. The stadium will cost far more than projected from this fact alone. I have had a long and interesting relationship with the city and unions. I was a non-union top level provider of technology for 15 years, and trust me, in the city, they couldn't care less about quality or value, they want money and donations. You get to make the decisions if you have the largest donations, and those are currently stolen from workers with a union card. They WILL get the work and the politicians WILL get paid.

The next in line are politicians who want to benefit from those union deals. All of the scrambling is to gain control or get a piece of the billion dollar pie.

In the end, this will be a boon for STL in taxes, so it will be built, no matter how many judges have to be bought or coerced. People think this is up to us or the courts? Please.

Kroenke wants a new stadium and his billions dictate what will happen, not us. Are we all aware he still has never even said he wants to move the Rams? Are we all aware his land in LA is slated as a stadium OR retail complex by a man who nearly rules the US in retail complexes?

It will cost Kroenke BILLIONS to move the Rams or, around what, $450 million to stay where he lives, where he fought to bring the team, where he has said over and over he wants the team?

The tiniest market in the NFL, Greenbay, is 13th in revenue. This "LA is the great revenue market" is nonsense. It's the greatest bluff of football. Build it or we will go to the land of milk and honey, and everyone builds, and no one goes. The reality is that with one of the worst decades in NFL history, the Rams are still very profitable. Few teams could be in that enviable position elsewhere. Saint Louis is a sports town and is recognized nationwide as a "MUST HAVE" city. They MUST have the NFL because they SUPPORT the NFL.

There is ZERO chance the NFL allows a move if the stadium is built. None.

The Raiders or Chargers or both are destined for LA because they won't pony up. STL will, one way or another. The forces in play own the city and they are all on Kroenke's side no matter how they portray themselves. They are posers and deceivers, looking to get paid.

This is a reality post, not a conspiracy post. We already know the rich, politicians, and unions conspire, especially in STL.

I'm 100% sure that Kroenke, STL politicians, and the unions will get exactly what they want. We will pay, they will benefit.

I keep forgetting that me and my evil union brethren have enslaved this city. All 8.4% of us. I better go call Peacock, give him the go ahead.

So in your own words a man who nearly owns the US in retail complexes is going to rent a stadium for his team. The faulty logic there is mind boggling. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If he doesn't move the Rams and they stay in St Louis they will play in a stadium Kroenke owns and not a publicly owned stadium. All of his other pro sports teams play in stadium he owns and they used little or no public money to build.

The difference is those are towns he wants to be in. I'd bet he goes year to year for the next 10 years before he builds something here.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I keep forgetting that me and my evil union brethren have enslaved this city. All 8.4% of us. I better go call Peacock, give him the go ahead.

I'm sorry if it's political and upsets you, but I worked this city as a contractor and, if it's public money, the unions are very powerful and they will control it. They support the politicians and the bids will go to the unions. The way the contracts are written, it's next to impossible for it to go anywhere else.

The difference is those are towns he wants to be in. I'd bet he goes year to year for the next 10 years before he builds something here.

He won't have a choice. He will either step up for the new stadium or continue to rent the dome. A team needs a home and he won't be allowed to move. In the end, he has already won and will pay his part IMO. Why? Because he will make more money in a new stadium and those will be his choices.

There are three teams wanting LA, if you believe the rumors about Kroenke, and any that move need a supermajority of owners to approve it. There is ZERO chance the NFL strips a city that is building their second stadium in 25 years. It just won't happen. The other teams have legitimate claims for a lack of support. Kroenke doesn't.

If he goes to court, he will be in limbo here for years while the other teams are building and moving.

The last piece of my argument is simply that he doesn't want to move the team and be a villain in Missouri. He's a born and raised small town Missouri man named after Stan the man. His only public statements about the Rams were to get them here and keep them here. Not once has he ever said he wants to move the team. He wanted the dome upgraded and the city wouldn't do it so he called their bluff, IMHO.

bluecoconuts

Legend
He won't have a choice. He will either step up for the new stadium or continue to rent the dome. A team needs a home and he won't be allowed to move. In the end, he has already won and will pay his part IMO. Why? Because he will make more money in a new stadium and those will be his choices.

He has a sweetheart deal in the dome, all he needs to do is rake in money while that runs out and either build something in St Louis, or then move somewhere else if there's the opportunity. I believe he would invest in St Louis if blocked out of LA, rather than move, but only after the dome lease ends unless he can get exactly what he wants, which is probably to own and operate the stadium he designs.

There are three teams wanting LA, if you believe the rumors about Kroenke, and any that move need a supermajority of owners to approve it. There is ZERO chance the NFL strips a city that is building their second stadium in 25 years. It just won't happen. The other teams have legitimate claims for a lack of support. Kroenke doesn't.

The NFL has indicated all three teams are more or less on equal footing in terms of being able to leave. Every team needs to get those votes, and most seem to be under the impression that if the NFL decides they want Inglewood, they'll let him go ahead and go.

If he goes to court, he will be in limbo here for years while the other teams are building and moving.

If he goes to court, he will likely have started building in December and set up shop in LA. He's not going to go to court first and then move, he's going to move and go to court. With the stadium already being built, something that Carson cannot do for another roughly two years, it'll make the case a little easier for him. If he wins or not is another thing, but if he goes to court he'll do so after he's moved the team. The only teams that would be delayed would be the Raiders and Chargers, because the NFL wouldn't risk moving them and then having Kroenke win the court case and three teams be there.

The last piece of my argument is simply that he doesn't want to move the team and be a villain in Missouri. He's a born and raised small town Missouri man named after Stan the man. His only public statements about the Rams were to get them here and keep them here. Not once has he ever said he wants to move the team. He wanted the dome upgraded and the city wouldn't do it so he called their bluff, IMHO.

Those statements were a long time ago. Since then he's been investing time, money, and effort into building a stadium in LA and moving the Rams there, all while seemingly giving St Louis the cold shoulder. I think it's safe to say he wants to move.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Thats what I find interesting. A lot of assumptions that the Rams are as good as gone and the owner has never said anything about it. Good, bad or indifferent. I guess its all about body language. But thats harder to read than actual statements.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@bluecoconuts

Nice logical answers, unfortunately too many people apply their personal feelings into what's going on. This thread is getting a bit stagnant though. Might be time to take a break from it for me until the next owners meeting. Almost anything else reported until then is opinion. Aside from maybe St Louis financing being fixed or Carson getting EPA approval.

TD2

UDFA
Rams to open Riverfront Stadium in 2017

What is known about progress of Riverfront Stadium
1. St. Louis is now projecting the Riverfront Stadium plans will be ready by this August. That means that it will be contract ready. Funds in place, land acquired, no problems left to solve.
2. The NFL owners have scheduled a special meeting on the stadium situations.
3. St. Louis has reached an agreement with the St. Louis unions that would allow for the stadium completion within two years after the start of construction of the stadium.
4. The Rams will have to get 24 votes to move. After the last moves 20 years ago new rules were put in place to prevent owners from moving on their own without league approval. When Kroenke purchased controlling interest in the Rams he agreed to these rules.
5. The stated policy of the NFL is to keep teams in place whenever possible. In particular, whenever the city has what the NFL considers an adequate stadium situation for the team.
6. Dave Peacock has hinted that the Rams might stay in St. Louis without Stan Kroenke.
7. Dave Peacock has also indicated that there are potential buyers for the Rams in St. Louis.

Based on this it seems to me that it is likely that in August
1. The owners will approve of the St. Louis Riverfront Stadium.
2. The Rams will sign a long term contract to play in the Riverfront Stadium
3. The construction of the stadium will begin
4. The stadium will be ready for play by the 2017 regular season.

This seem to be the only reason for the owners to hold a special meeting in August. August would be important for the Rams if they were not moving. It would allow them to move into Riverfront Stadium in 2017. However, there will be no request by any team for relocation. The time set by the NFL for that is December. But if the Rams situation could be settled without relocation, the August meeting makes good sense.

It is also possible, but maybe not likely, that the owners will also approve the sale of the Rams at this time. However, the outcomes for San Diego and Oakland will not be resolved until later.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

1. St. Louis is now projecting the Riverfront Stadium plans will be ready by this August. That means that it will be contract ready. Funds in place, land acquired, no problems left to solve.
3. St. Louis has reached an agreement with the St. Louis unions that would allow for the stadium completion within two years after the start of construction of the stadium.
4. The Rams will have to get 24 votes to move. After the last moves 20 years ago new rules were put in place to prevent owners from moving on their own without league approval. When Kroenke purchased controlling interest in the Rams he agreed to these rules.
5. The stated policy of the NFL is to keep teams in place whenever possible. In particular, whenever the city has what the NFL considers an adequate stadium situation for the team.
6. Dave Peacock has hinted that the Rams might stay in St. Louis without Stan Kroenke.
7. Dave Peacock has also indicated that there are potential buyers for the Rams in St. Louis.

This seem to be the only reason for the owners to hold a special meeting in August. August would be important for the Rams if they were not moving. It would allow them to move into Riverfront Stadium in 2017. However, there will be no request by any team for relocation. The time set by the NFL for that is December. But if the Rams situation could be settled without relocation, the August meeting makes good sense.

It is also possible, but maybe not likely, that the owners will also approve the sale of the Rams at this time. However, the outcomes for San Diego and Oakland will not be resolved until later.

Interesting that your opinions project the stadium to be finished 3 years earlier than Peacock has said it would be finished.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm sorry if it's political and upsets you, but I worked this city as a contractor and, if it's public money, the unions are very powerful and they will control it. They support the politicians and the bids will go to the unions. The way the contracts are written, it's next to impossible for it to go anywhere else.

Doesn't upset me, I hope you are right. It gives me great joy to hear that a union might still have that kind of clout. I doubt it, I mean how much clout can less than ten percent of the working world have, but I hope it's true. It would make me happy to look over at the stadium going up and know that no one building it has to be on gov't aid.

BTW, that money you talk about being "stolen" for workers dues? Representation is kind of the whole reason we pay dues. If you don't want people to get annoyed at political generalizations, don't make them.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
The biggest issues I have is why would Kroenke rush out of the St Louis lease? Out of the goodness of his heart? He didn't make billions of dollars by voluntarily taking himself out of a sweetheart deal and into one that (at this point) doesn't seem to give him any upper hand...

Saint Louis wouldn't renovate the dome so he made his moves. If STL was still on the sidelines, he would be allowed to move and he would move I think. As it sits, I think once the city is definitely funding their part, Kroenke will join in.

I also think he's well past "Well maybe he doesn't want to move the Rams there, and it's a big bluff"... He's already spent a lot of money to get everything ready for a stadium in LA, he has Demoff working on the stadium, I think it's safe to say he wants to go to LA. He has a backup plan if LA can't happen, but at this point it certainly looks like it's what he wants.

He purchased land that has a multitude of uses. As the third largest land owner in the US, that' not unusual at all. He's produced drawings of a stadium. I believe LA is his backup plan, and one that is now untenable.

I do agree that the NFL wouldn't let the Rams move if the stadium was built, but unless St Louis can come up with all of the money themselves and start construction before December, it wont matter. They are reliant on Stan putting up over 50% of that bill, and it doesn't look like he's getting ready to open his checkbook.

Saint Louis doesn't need to build a stadium to keep the Rams. They just need to convince the NFL they WILL build it IF Kroenke participates. He won't have a leg to stand on. He either participates or he stays in the Dome. He can't say he will spend nearly 2 billion, a third of his net worth, in LA and then pretend he can't spend 1/4 of that in Saint Louis.

I don't think he will even ask to move two months from now, which is the deadline, unless the city get embroiled in the battle for funds and hasn't committed. Even if he asks, if the city works it out, he wouldn't be allowed to move, I don't think.

Stan has not said he wants to move. He has not said he won't help build a new stadium here. I think he's just poker facing STL until the plans are set in stone.

“There’s this perception that we have an adversarial relationship with the task force,” Demoff told the Post-Dispatch. “I think Dave and Bob would be the first to tell you that’s absolutely not true.

“We have worked with the task force. I really admire the work that they've gotten done to date. They've done a lot more work in the past few months than we've seen in St. Louis in a very long time.”

So after months of silence from the Rams on the entire relocation topic, Demoff struck a more conciliatory tone.

“But we have a good core fan base in St. Louis. We're playing football in St. Louis. We're not just going to turn our back and say we're going to dismiss the efforts that the task force has made."

“That wouldn't be fair to what they've done. It’s not fair to Dave and Bob, and it’s not fair to the fans. Nor is it fair to the rest of the NFL. Our job is to be engaged with the task force, to give that proposal the best chance of it being built for us.”

TD2

UDFA
Interesting that your opinions project the stadium to be finished 3 years earlier than Peacock has said it would be finished.

Actually, there never was a 2020 projection. That figure came when the project was first started and was a latest date rather than a projected date. When plans got underway there was a three year construction time with the start this December. That would place 2019 as the projected year of completion. Then when the unions agreed to move that timetable up it became 2018. By starting in August it becomes the 2017 season. Nothing magical.

RamzFanz

Damnit

You are starting with the assumption that he has a choice. He doesn't. The NFL decides who moves, not the owners.

Will Kronke take over the stadium and fund it himself once it's his only choice? Sure he could, why not. Can he refuse to participate and stay in the Dome? Sure. Could he build a stadium in Saint Louis and ignore what STL is offering. Yes, if they let him.

You are ignoring the fact that he wanted the public to upgrade the dome. If they had, this wouldn't even be a topic.

iced

I also think he's well past "Well maybe he doesn't want to move the Rams there, and it's a big bluff"... He's already spent a lot of money to get everything ready for a stadium in LA, he has Demoff working on the stadium, I think it's safe to say he wants to go to LA. He has a backup plan if LA can't happen, but at this point it certainly looks like it's what he wants.

He hasn't spent a whole lot of money - only $1.7 million. Peanuts to him and most of the owners, particularly when each individual TV share is over $200 million a season. Additionally, all of the other stadium authorities and cities have spent in the neighborhood of $1 to $3 million as well on concepts and proposals.

The cost of their drawings and concepts are really irrelevant - and could easily be argued for leverage additionally (dropping $1.7 million for a higher quality stadium that costs hundreds of millions more - this has been done countless times over the years)

But to my main point - arguing how much he's spent on stadium concepts and designs I think are pointless

St.Louis has spent $3 million on stadium designs for the Riverfront - does that make their ability to hold the team stronger? Nope, just like Kroenke's $1.7 million doesn't give him any leverage to move the team. It means nothing in the end.

The NFL has indicated all three teams are more or less on equal footing in terms of being able to leave. Every team needs to get those votes, and most seem to be under the impression that if the NFL decides they want Inglewood, they'll let him go ahead and go.

Actually the only team that has been said to have been negotiating in Good faith has been the Chargers, directly from Grubman's mouth. And Grubman I think is going to be the closest thing you're going to get to someone that is neutral while involved in the process - he works for the NFL, not the chargers (like a Fabaniani), The Rams (Demoff), or the Raiders. We have heard the popularity of Spanos amongst other owners. However, you have not heard the same things regarding Kroenke or the Raiders, and we've especially heard how its a "well known fact among owners that Kroenke hasn't been talking with the city of St.Louis"

If he goes to court, he will likely have started building in December and set up shop in LA. He's not going to go to court first and then move, he's going to move and go to court. With the stadium already being built, something that Carson cannot do for another roughly two years, it'll make the case a little easier for him. If he wins or not is another thing, but if he goes to court he'll do so after he's moved the team. The only teams that would be delayed would be the Raiders and Chargers, because the NFL wouldn't risk moving them and then having Kroenke win the court case and three teams be there.

1) I wouldn't rule out the possibility of an injunction being filed until the courts have ruled.

2)If Carson gets the green light, its hard to imagine Kroenke shelling out the 2 billion to build the stadium anyway. In that situation the NFL could easily make life hell on Kroenke just by simply supporting Carson 100% and leaving him astray. It's naive to assume they're going to reward him after he basically would be giving a finger to the NFL and moves anyway when Spanos/Davis would be right there.

3)There's been many indications that Kroenke won't go against the league, simply because how the NFL could make life rough for Kroenke after a move. Makes sense, especially when you read their by laws. But until we hear speculation otherwise, I think its pointless to try and guess from the court side of things.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Actually, there never was a 2020 projection. That figure came when the project was first started and was a latest date rather than a projected date. When plans got underway there was a three year construction time with the start this December. That would place 2019 as the projected year of completion. Then when the unions agreed to move that timetable up it became 2018. By starting in August it becomes the 2017 season. Nothing magical.

And you base this on what and where you're getting your information? Is this your opinion?

RamzFanz

Damnit
He has a sweetheart deal in the dome, all he needs to do is rake in money while that runs out and either build something in St Louis, or then move somewhere else if there's the opportunity. I believe he would invest in St Louis if blocked out of LA, rather than move, but only after the dome lease ends unless he can get exactly what he wants, which is probably to own and operate the stadium he designs.

Could be.

Not a chance. This is where we part ways. The NFL has clearly stated there will not be 3 teams in LA and that means if STL builds, Rams stay. They won't "decide they want inglewood" over 2 new NFL stadiums in separate cities. They are acutely aware of how their fan base will react to stripping a city of its team after they are ready to build. It would be unprecedented.

Go against the NFL and move? They would never allow it. The last attempt to do that by Seattle resulted in $500,000 a day fines. His people have already stated they would do as the NFL asked.

Yes, it was a long time ago, and we've heard nothing from him since to change it. He couldn't get the dome upgraded so he bought some land and produced some drawings. Hardly an investment that doesn't have other purposes. In May Demoff stated they supported the stadium being built in STL. That's where we are at.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
@bluecoconuts

Nice logical answers, unfortunately too many people apply their personal feelings into what's going on. This thread is getting a bit stagnant though. Might be time to take a break from it for me until the next owners meeting. Almost anything else reported until then is opinion. Aside from maybe St Louis financing being fixed or Carson getting EPA approval.

I'm certainly not emotional about it. I'm just pointing out the facts. The powers that be will keep the Rams here and Kronke hasn't even indicated they want to move.

If people are getting emotional, they should take a break. I just find the chess game they are playing interesting.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
and Kronke hasn't even indicated they want to move.

If people are getting emotional, they should take a break. I just find the chess game they are playing interesting.

Okay getting a little tired of this "Kroenke hasn't even indicated they want to move." Riddle me this, has he indicated he wants to stay?

iced

And you base this on what and where you're getting your information? Is this your opinion?

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/02/st-louis-stadium-rams-raiders-chargers-los-angeles-nfl/

older news

And get this: Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon has an agreement with skilled construction workers in eastern Missouri to work round the clock (three eight-hour shifts a day, every day) so the stadium could be finished in 24 months … without workers taking overtime. That’s significant because if the first shovel goes in the ground by this August, the NFL could have a pristine new St. Louis stadium built in time for the 2017 season. (That’s likely too fast a timetable; it’s more probable that stadium construction would start later, and the venue would be ready in 2018 or in time for the NFL’s 100th season, in 2019.)

*Peter Kings opinion, not from Nixon

I personally would think 2018/2019 is realistic, especially with 24 hour crews.

iced

Okay getting a little tired of this "Kroenke hasn't even indicated they want to move." Riddle me this, has he indicated he wants to stay?

lol yes but the counter claim to that is that its "old news". In the same token, its the only thing you'll find him saying on the subject

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_3b49e97d-2799-50aa-8b7b-5a82bf5d5a4b.html

If Stan Kroenke gains NFL approval in his quest to purchase the Rams, he vows to do everything he can to secure the team's long-term future in St. Louis.

In his first interview since announcing that he'd exercised an option to match businessman Shahid Khan's bid for the available 60 percent of the team, Kroenke broke his customary silence in an attempt to reassure Rams fans of his positive intentions.

"I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," Kroenke said in a phone interview Tuesday night. "Just as I did everything that I could to bring the team to St. Louis in 1995. I believe my actions speak for themselves."

In the early 1990s, Kroenke became the lead investor in a St. Louis group that unsuccessfully pursued an NFL expansion franchise. But Kroenke later purchased 40 percent of the Rams from owner Georgia Frontiere as a precondition of the franchise's move from Los Angeles to St. Louis before the 1995 season.

"There's a track record," Kroenke said. "I've always stepped up for pro football in St. Louis. And I'm stepping up one more time."

"I'm born and raised in Missouri," Kroenke said. "I've been a Missourian for 60 years. People in our state know me. People know I can be trusted. People know I am an honorable guy."

Status
Not open for further replies.