New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
Bernie: More urgency to finalize STL stadium funding
By Bernie Miklasz

The well-connected Daniel Kaplan of the SportsBusiness Journal has an interesting nugget on the NFL's apparent decision to move up the timeline for franchises that wish to file for relocation to Los Angeles (Rams, Raiders, Chargers). As many media outlets have reported, the window for filing could open in December.

But here's what caught my attention: Kaplan mentioned that a full NFL owners' meeting is possible for this summer ... and that St. Louis would be the reason for it.

"The prospective summer owners meeting would largely revolve around the proposed St. Louis stadium, which is further along than the efforts in California," Kaplan wrote. "Whether that meeting occurs depends in part on progress in St. Louis, and the recommendation of the (owners') LA committee."

My two quick takeaways on that:

1. If the NFL is planning a special summer meeting to discuss St. Louis, that's a positive sign. It means that the NFL is taking the St. Louis stadium effort seriously ... very seriously.

2. This also could put the St. Louis task force on a faster timeline to lock down stadium financing. Co-chairs Dave Peacock and Bob Blitz were hopeful (and confident) of having everything in place by the fall. But if this summer NFL owners meeting happens, I'd have to think this puts pressure on the task force to speed up the pace for finalizing the stadium plan.

Peacock and Blitz wouldn't necessarily have to have 100 percent of the funding in place this summer. If the NFL is confident that Peacock and Blitz will get this done, they'll be given a little leeway. But if the NFL owners vote on relocation sooner than expected (early next year?), a significant delay in securing STL stadium funding could be damaging.

For example, if it's necessary to have a public vote to sign off on the city's portion of the stadium funding, the timing would be crucial. If a vote doesn't occur until late fall (early November) it could raise NFL doubts about the firmness of the St. Louis funding. And a November vote may not be in line with the league's preferred timing.

At this point it's difficult to know. But I think we know this much: in the quest to finalize the St. Louis stadium funding, sooner is better.

St. Louis-area Rams fans have to hope Peacock-Blitz can complete the stadium financing puzzle as quickly as possible. It's still the most crucial and necessary step for keeping the Rams here.

Thanks for reading ...

— Bernie

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_f5f1317a-896e-5974-b449-4db032d9ceff.html

Moostache

Rookie
Why change up the team so much if they stay? That doesn't seem necessary.
The idea is that if they stay; after all this drama about LA, and returning there and possibly moving, it will feel like the start of a new era in franchise history. It would be a good opportunity to start fresh and put the ugliness of the recent past (15-65, relocation drama, Bradford-era, Spags and Linehan disasters, basically everything since February 02, 2002) into the dustbin of history and hit the reset...and what better way to do that than new uniforms in a new stadium?

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Bernie: More urgency to finalize STL stadium funding
By Bernie Miklasz

The well-connected Daniel Kaplan of the SportsBusiness Journal has an interesting nugget on the NFL's apparent decision to move up the timeline for franchises that wish to file for relocation to Los Angeles (Rams, Raiders, Chargers). As many media outlets have reported, the window for filing could open in December.

But here's what caught my attention: Kaplan mentioned that a full NFL owners' meeting is possible for this summer ... and that St. Louis would be the reason for it.

"The prospective summer owners meeting would largely revolve around the proposed St. Louis stadium, which is further along than the efforts in California," Kaplan wrote. "Whether that meeting occurs depends in part on progress in St. Louis, and the recommendation of the (owners') LA committee."

1. If the NFL is planning a special summer meeting to discuss St. Louis, that's a positive sign. It means that the NFL is taking the St. Louis stadium effort seriously ... very seriously.

2. This also could put the St. Louis task force on a faster timeline to lock down stadium financing. Co-chairs Dave Peacock and Bob Blitz were hopeful (and confident) of having everything in place by the fall. But if this summer NFL owners meeting happens, I'd have to think this puts pressure on the task force to speed up the pace for finalizing the stadium plan.

Peacock and Blitz wouldn't necessarily have to have 100 percent of the funding in place this summer. If the NFL is confident that Peacock and Blitz will get this done, they'll be given a little leeway. But if the NFL owners vote on relocation sooner than expected (early next year?), a significant delay in securing STL stadium funding could be damaging.

For example, if it's necessary to have a public vote to sign off on the city's portion of the stadium funding, the timing would be crucial. If a vote doesn't occur until late fall (early November) it could raise NFL doubts about the firmness of the St. Louis funding. And a November vote may not be in line with the league's preferred timing.

At this point it's difficult to know. But I think we know this much: in the quest to finalize the St. Louis stadium funding, sooner is better.

St. Louis-area Rams fans have to hope Peacock-Blitz can complete the stadium financing puzzle as quickly as possible. It's still the most crucial and necessary step for keeping the Rams here.

Thanks for reading ...

— Bernie

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_f5f1317a-896e-5974-b449-4db032d9ceff.html

Would be nice for it to be over one way or the other ASAP.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
The idea is that if they stay; after all this drama about LA, and returning there and possibly moving, it will feel like the start of a new era in franchise history. It would be a good opportunity to start fresh and put the ugliness of the recent past (15-65, relocation drama, Bradford-era, Spags and Linehan disasters, basically everything since February 02, 2002) into the dustbin of history and hit the reset...and what better way to do that than new uniforms in a new stadium?
Wipe off all that LA asap.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Funny how all the pic's are of Carson recently.

It seems to depend on who's writing I guess. Fox Sports West tweeted out a story about LA having potential to host the Super Bowl in 2020 and tagged the NFL, the Super Bowl, and the Rams, but not the Chargers or Raiders.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner and ESPN Chargers reporter Eric Williams discuss the stadium initiatives in their respective cities and whether it’s likely that either franchise will relocate to Los Angeles.

Watch Rams-Chargers Stadium Update
This seems to be the most optimistic I've heard a SD reporter in some time. He may just be hopeful but I guess we'll see. I wonder if/when Spanos or his yap dog will release a statement.

RamBill

Legend
Albert Breer joined Kevin Wheeler to talk about the situations in each of the cities leading to a team in LA, the Rams proposal in St. Louis vs. the other markets. why Kroenke still has a clear advantage, Mark Davis not wanting to come to St. Louis, SD working to get something done in SD, and why St. Louis still should have hope for the NFL in this city.

Listen to Breer Talk Stadium Issues

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Albert Breer joined Kevin Wheeler to talk about the situations in each of the cities leading to a team in LA, the Rams proposal in St. Louis vs. the other markets. why Kroenke still has a clear advantage, Mark Davis not wanting to come to St. Louis, SD working to get something done in SD, and why St. Louis still should have hope for the NFL in this city.

IMO Breer has done well giving all different scenarios and how each could come to fruition. Again JMHO, but his reporting has been very informative and seems to be unbiased, if a reporter can be anymore.

iced

And if SD doesn't present or have some kind of meeting, i think it's telling what they think of their proposal

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
I wonder how long till we hear from someone else from the LA committee besides Mara. The teams gave the updates not the different cities.

“I can’t say there was anything super exciting,” Giants owner John Mara said after the meetings. “It seems like there is movement in each of the markets, but whether it will be enough remains to be seen.”

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/may/20/chargers-csag-stadium-nfl-owners-meetings/

iced

I wonder how long till we hear from someone else from the LA committee besides Mara. The teams gave the updates not the different cities.

“I can’t say there was anything super exciting,” Giants owner John Mara said after the meetings. “It seems like there is movement in each of the markets, but whether it will be enough remains to be seen.”

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/may/20/chargers-csag-stadium-nfl-owners-meetings/

Just a note - anything being posted from utsandiego.com should come with the whole story pasted - some of us reach our "free 10 articles per month" quota pretty fast :D

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
Just a note - anything being posted from utsandiego.com should come with the whole story pasted - some of us reach our "free 10 articles per month" quota pretty fast :D

If you use chrome use incognito window and firefox based browser open a private window. Right click mouse pad and open

Chargers to digest stadium proposal By Kevin Acee (/staff/kevinacee/) 1:32 p.m. May 20, 2015 NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell speaks to reporters during the NFL's spring meetings in San Francisco, Wednesday, May 20, 2015. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu) The Associated Press SAN FRANCISCO —

The Citizens Stadium Advisory Group revealed its longawaited proposal for financing a new stadium two days early, in time for the report to be in the hands of the Chargers and key NFL personnel prior to the league owners gathering here for two days of meetings. Most everyone left those meetings Wednesday without having been able to get a sufficient appreciation of CSAG’s work. “I have not seen the actual report,” Chargers chairman Dean Spanos said Wednesday before departing the league’s twoday owners meetings here. “I’m going back today, and I’m going to look at it this afternoon.” From the Chargers to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, the party line is that there has not been time to digest San Diego’s stadium financing proposal. The Chargers say they need time to vet the proposal before committing to beginning negotiations with the city and county. Mayor Kevin Faulconer has suggested a June 1 start date for those talks. Spanos said Tuesday night he was unaware of that request. When – and if – the Chargers come to the negotiating table and how those talks progress could depend in part on how much of a starting point they think the task force report provides. “I think they submitted some sort of framework of a potential financing plan,” Spanos said of CSAG. “That’s what we’re going to take a look at this week ... I’ve always said, and I maintain the fact we want to stay in San Diego. We’re committed to keep trying to see if there is a viable solution. It has now come down to a financing plan, so I am anxious to see what the city puts forth.” Owners were briefed Wednesday morning by the Chargers, Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Rams on the situations in their home markets. All three teams are considering relocating to Los Angeles, perhaps as soon as the 2016 season. “I can’t say there was anything super exciting,” Giants owner John Mara said after the meetings. “It seems like there is movement in each of the markets, but whether it will be enough remains to be seen.” Owners also were given a status update by NFL staff on progress in Los Angeles, though not extensively on either the Carson stadium proposal of the Chargers and Raiders or the Inglewood proposal backed by Rams owner Stan Kroenke. Leaguecommissioned market studies on the two potential L.A. sites, as well as San Diego, Oakland and St. Louis, were also presented to ownership. THIS PAGE ISSAFE VAULT ISACCESSSITE ISINFOBAR IGNOREDOPENCLOSEDVAULTHIDDEN “I know what the San Diego market is all about,’ Spanos said. “I’ve been there for 31 years. It’s a great market. This is all going to come down to: Can we find a viable solution from a financing perspective?” © Copyright 2015 The San Diego UnionTribune, LLC. An MLIM LLC Company. All rights reserved

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.