New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
St. Louis Rams fans in knots about teams’ possible move to Los Angeles
AR-150519800.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Artist's rendering of the City of Champions Revitalization Project for the Hollywood Park site in Inglewood that could host the NFL's Rams.
By Vincent Bonsignore, Los Angeles Daily News
POSTED: 05/12/15, 11:48 PM PDT |

ST. LOUIS >> The St. Louis Rams, in order to justify moving to Los Angeles, have to make a case for the move despite a potential $400 million standing stadium offer on the table from Missouri. But it’s not such a far-fetched argument.

Imagine being a Los Angeles high school standout, a USC product drafted by an NFL team in the Midwest.

When the contract is up, the team doesn’t offer a long-term max deal, and in the process, legally frees you up as an unrestricted free agent. Meanwhile, Los Angeles comes calling with a contract offer for you to become the highest paid player in the NFL. Then, the Midwest team comes back insisting it still wants you, only it asks you to re-sign at a discount.

No brainier, right?

Would anyone argue against your right to say, “Thanks, but no thanks,” and accept the offer to return to the city you grew up in on a contract that will make you the richest player in the NFL?

That’s the case the St. Louis Rams can make, justifying relocating to Los Angeles despite $400 million dollars in public money potentially coming from Missouri to help build them a brand new stadium.

Thanks to an out-clause St. Louis leaders foolishly agreed to 20 years ago upon luring the Rams east from Los Angeles – and St. Louis opting not to pay the $700 million dollars an arbitrator ruled was needed to upgrade the Edward Jones Dome - the Rams are legally free agents no longer bound to a specific market.

Which seems to make a potential move to Los Angeles, where Rams owner Stan Kroenke is building a privately financed $1.8 billion stadium on the site of the old Hollywood Race Track in Inglewood, perfectly justified.

The NFL must mull over that argument during the next six months as it pieces together a Los Angeles relocation puzzle that has grown to three teams, five cities and has left fans across the Midwest and San Diego and Oakland in a panic.

League owners will reconvene next week in San Francisco and get updates on the various stadium proposals. Another meeting is scheduled for New York in October.

We could have an answer soon on who is coming to Los Angeles.

In St. Louis, fans are anxious.

First, will Missouri leaders come through on financing for the proposed $1 billion dollar riverfront stadium being pushed by Governor Jay Nixon?

If so, will that be enough to keep Kroenke from fleeing to Los Angeles?

If not, will the NFL grant him his wish or force him to stay in St. Louis?

Is it possible St. Louis will lose a third NFL team, following the old Gunners and Cardinals?

And will the very team St. Louis stole from Los Angeles in 1995 break its heart by returning to the City of Angels 20 years later? The angst among St. Louis Rams fans is piled up higher than a plate of toasted ravioli at Charlie Gitto’s on the Hill.

“I think St. Louis Rams fans are skeptical of how the NFL will handle this situation,” said Mike Contrera, a 32-year-old Rams fan from Brentwoood, Missouri. “In the end, of the three markets, I think St. Louis will be the first to fulfill their end of the deal. After some political pandering, I do not believe any politician will want to have their name attached to blocking what would be the largest building project in downtown St. Louis.”

But will that keep the Rams in St, Louis?

Governor Nixon’s two-man task force of Dave Peacock and Bob Blitz is building financial and political momentum for a new stadium along the banks of the Mississippi River, although the deal is still being formulated. Meanwhile, the NFL’s strict relocation guidelines seem to suggest the Rams won’t have justification to move if Missouri comes through on financing – especially if the San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders don’t get stadium deals in their cities.

Yet, the talk persists that Kroenke is set on going to Los Angeles and even if Missouri approves a stadium deal, it might not be for the Rams.

Peacock admitted as much Tuesday while speaking at a Commercial Real Estate Women of St. Louis breakfast,

“It’s possible we have different ownership of the (Rams) because I think (Kroenke) is really committed to Los Angeles,” Peacock said. “I’m not against Stan going to Los Angeles, I just don’t want our team there. This is why we’re spending most of our time with the league — we think this is an NFL issue.”

And that leaves fans uneasy.

“I understand business, and I also understand that St. Louis could receive another team that is left out of L.A.,” said Contrera. “(But) I also understand the bylaws specifically state that a team cannot move solely on the basis of the ability to increase franchise value.”

Kroenke hasn’t spoken publicly about his plans, and the Rams haven’t put a strong team on the field in recent years.

“The Rams fans here in St. Louis have shown up and supported this team through the worst stretch of losing of any team in the NFL in the last 11 years,” said longtime fan Derek Walton “Why not show your fans some love and support and tell them what the future holds for the Rams in St. Louis?”

Said Mat Martin, a 30-year-old Rams fan now living in Southern Illinois: “I think Los Angeles should have a team but the Rams are the best option to work for Saint Louis and this region to succeed and I think the NFL knows these things, or if not they should.”

If only it were that easy.

The Rams are one of three teams lining up Los Angeles as a potential new home, which complicates their plans and puts NFL owners in a complex mess they hope to resolve within the next six months.

While Kroenke eyes Inglewood, the Raiders and Chargers have teamed up with plans to build their own stadium in Carson pending the outcome of stadium fights in Oakland and San Diego.

The NFL has said it will approve just one NFL stadium.

The potential problem facing the league is obvious: How do you weigh the Rams wanting to move to Los Angeles against the Chargers and Raiders needing to relocate?

Especially if Missouri follows through on a proposal to help fund a new stadium and San Diego and Oakland fail to come up with viable stadium plans for the Chargers and Raiders.

Or, as one NFL executive pointed out to the Los Angeles News Group: “If (St. Louis) comes up with $400 million how can you say that’s a failed market?”

The Rams have not publicly disclosed their plans, and it appears they will wait until all options are on the table before making a decision. The Rams declined on-the-record comment to LANG on this story.

If the Rams do file for relocation, it seems their game-plan will rely heavily on part of the premise on which the Rams left Los Angeles for St. Louis 20 years ago – the lease clause that allowed them to become free agents after the 2015 season if the Edward Jones Dome wasn’t among the top-tier stadiums in the NFL.

The argument is strengthened by stressing the importance of the NFL nailing a gold-medal landing upon returning to Los Angeles.

And what better way to insure success than making a seamless transition in which the Rams return to the city they called home for 49 years to play in a sparkling new stadium financed by a multi-billionaire owner?

And there’s room to add another team, say the Chargers if San Diego leaders can’t come up with a plan to help build a new stadium.

And in doing so, two favorable outcomes are created for two critical issues facing the NFL: a strong return to Los Angeles and protection of the interests of Chargers owner Dean Spanos, a who has been fighting for a new home in San Diego for more than 10 years.

If the NFL can nail Los Angeles and help Spanos, that’s a win-win.

“You can certainly see their argument,” said an NFL executive. “But is Stan the kind of guy who would be reasonable in negotiating a deal with a second team in Inglewood?”

If the NFL guaranteed Kroenke the 24 votes he needs to relocate only if he plays fair with the second team, he might not have a choice.

Where that leaves St. Louis – or the Raiders for that matter - is uncertain.

Peacock and Blitz declined to speak to the LANG, but recent conversations with St. Louis area reporters suggests they are nearing a plan they hope will convince the NFL that St. Louis remains a viable market.

Even if the Rams chose to leave.

“Our job is to build the best plan for St. Louis and that works for St. Louis,” Peacock told Fox2Now in St. Louis. “We assume the league, and we have trusted the league, will do the right thing if we accomplish what we set out to do.”

St. Louis Rams fans are counting on it.

Still, every move Kroenke has made over the last year indicates his heart is set on Los Angeles.

And a freeway as wide as the 405 beautifully opened up to get him there.

No matter what St. Louis eventually comes up with, the Rams have the right to weigh that offer against the Los Angeles deal and pursue the one they feel best suits their needs.

Others will argue that doesn’t jive with NFL relocation guidelines, and as an NFL executive pointed out to LANG, Kroenke didn’t own the Rams when they moved to Los Angeles and had nothing to do with the lease.

Maybe, but he’s clearly using it to his benefit.

Meanwhile, St. Louis Rams fans sit in knots awaiting an outcome.

“St. Louis has the best possible people working on our behalf in Dave Peacock and Bob Blitz,” said Contrera. “I think there is cautious optimism that St. Louis will remain an NFL city. We just hope it is the Rams.”

He might still might get his wish.

But the Rams have a strong argument for an L.A. move working in their favor.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...nots-about-teams-possible-move-to-los-angeles

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Is everyone here a lawyer or something? How the hell do you guys know so much about bonds and antitrust laws and litigation? I've been basically reading this thread but it's hard to keep up with all the crazy talk. What does the "G4 Loan" do? Is that the NFL helping pay for relocation? I'm just so utterly confused by all of this.

The G-4 loan is up to $200MM that the NFL will loan a team building a new stadium. The owner has to put in his own money to get the loan, and it is a matching type deal. I think the minimum is $50MM. The loan can be paid back with several sources of revenue, and can even be paid back with the shared revenue such as TV money, ticket sales, and they can even use PSL money.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
I understand the argument that Vinny detailed but the article pretty much says that we care about Chargers, LA, Rams and then Oakland. We have heard that they want a California solution for the California market and that they are not sure they want to reward a team that voluntarily abandoned that market. If the allow the Rams to relocate and the Chargers to become the second team that tells us two things. First, we are leaving one of our owners and his franchise out in the could. Essentially, you have become a 31 team league because you have treated the Davis family like the red headed step child. Second, if public financing comes through the league will turning down at least $400 million in public money which they have never done. This will have a domino affect on all the other markets like TB and Jax who are asking for public money. Those markets can use this against the NFL.

Vinny says the Rams will argue that Stan was not the owner but the move to STL would not have happened without Stan. You can't ignore that fact and I don't believe for one second he didn't have anything to do with the lease. Shaw didn't operate under a cloak and dagger scenario. Both GF and Stan played a role in relocation. As far as the lease goes I don't know what the contract looks, like nor would I probably understand it if I did, but I don't buy the argument that they are free agents. If that was true they wouldn't need permission to relocate.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I understand the argument that Vinny detailed but the article pretty much says that we care about Chargers, LA, Rams and then Oakland. We have heard that they want a California solution for the California market and that they are not sure they want to reward a team that voluntarily abandoned that market. If the allow the Rams to relocate and the Chargers to become the second team that tells us two things. First, we are leaving one of our owners and his franchise out in the could. Essentially, you have become a 31 team league because you have treated the Davis family like the red headed step child. Second, if public financing comes through the league will turning down at least $400 million in public money which they have never done. This will have a domino affect on all the other markets like TB and Jax who are asking for public money. Those markets can use this against the NFL.

Vinny says the Rams will argue that Stan was not the owner but the move to STL would not have happened without Stan. You can't ignore that fact and I don't believe for one second he didn't have anything to do with the lease. Shaw didn't operate under a cloak and dagger scenario. Both GF and Stan played a role in relocation. As far as the lease goes I don't know what the contract looks, like nor would I probably understand it if I did, but I don't buy the argument that they are free agents. If that was true they wouldn't need permission to relocate.

All three teams have left the LA market (although the Chargers shouldn't really count, they came at the worst time and only lasted a year) so regardless you're rewarding a team who left LA with LA.

No matter what site they pick, a team is left out in the cold. Three teams want to move there, two teams will. In that same vein, the Raiders seem like they have the least desire to move, so giving them more time to work with Oakland, and an open city to move to if they can't might be seen as good.

I don't see a domino effect either, first every market is different, and second if those teams want to stay in their home market, why wouldn't their market want to work with them? The cat is already out of the bag, we know its possible to build a 2 billion dollar stadium without public assistance. I just don't see why Tampa or Jacksonville is going to say "St Louis put money on the table and their team left, so we're not going to put money on the table even though you want to stay."

Unless those teams want to leave, and in that case, their argument to do so is a lot easier. Seems more like a win for owners.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
No matter what site they pick, a team is left out in the cold.

There is only 2 teams that could be left in the cold, and that's San Diego and Oakland. You can't claim the same for the Rams with a home market that is willing to fund half a stadium with public money.

bluecoconuts

Legend
There is only 2 teams that could be left in the cold, and that's San Diego and Oakland. You can't claim the same for the Rams with a home market that is willing to fund half a stadium with public money.

Sure I can, if Kroenke wants to move and he can't, he's left out. When I say out in the cold, I'm not saying they wont have a place to play, all three teams have a place to play, and all three teams have a potential deal on the table for a new stadium (obviously the deal from St Louis is quite a bit more detailed and further along than the other cities) in their home market.

Either way, three owners have expressed interest in moving to Los Angeles, two of them a great deal of interest. One of them wont be making the move, and it can be expected that they wont be pleased. Although at this point it seems that Kroenke and Spanos will be the most displeased about not being able to move to LA. Although Davis might really want to move behind the scenes... It just seems the Chargers are controlling the Carson issue, and the Raiders are just there because they need help.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
(obviously the deal from St Louis is quite a bit more detailed and further along than the other cities) in their home market.

If we were to apply the stadium deals to an age timeline with 21 being a finished product. The St. Louis deal is at about 18, while the other two (San Diego and Oakland) are at about a 5.

One of them wont be making the move, and it can be expected that they wont be pleased.

Now again, as has been said many times in this thread, What is the endgame for all these owners? Does any of us know? Can you certainly say that they would be disappointed having to stay put but still get a brand spanking new stadium?

bluecoconuts

Legend
If we were to apply the stadium deals to an age timeline with 21 being a finished product. The St. Louis deal is at about 18, while the other two (San Diego and Oakland) are at about a 5.

I wouldn't go that far, I'd say more like 10.. 13 when they finish getting all the land, 16 when they have their end of the financing figured out 18 when they have an owner that agrees and 21 when all permits and everything is finished and ready to build.

Oakland is at like 2 or 3 though, and San Diego is maybe 5. So there's still a good gap.

Now again, as has been said many times in this thread, What is the endgame for all these owners? Does any of us know? Can you certainly say that they would be disappointed having to stay put but still get a brand spanking new stadium?

I don't think Davis would be upset, Spanos it would probably depend. If the Rams and Raiders were to move in, he would probably be a little ticked even with a new stadium, because that cuts into his profits. If it was just the Rams and the NFL promised him that they wouldn't let another team go there, then he might be okay. I feel that Kroenke wouldn't be happy on losing out on LA though, even with a new stadium, I think he'd be a bit pissed.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I wouldn't go that far, I'd say more like 10.. 13 when they finish getting all the land, 16 when they have their end of the financing figured out 18 when they have an owner that agrees and 21 when all permits and everything is finished and ready to build.

Oakland is at like 2 or 3 though, and San Diego is maybe 5. So there's still a good gap.

I'll give you this one. The difference is large, though. As you said.

I don't think Davis would be upset, Spanos it would probably depend. If the Rams and Raiders were to move in, he would probably be a little ticked even with a new stadium, because that cuts into his profits. If it was just the Rams and the NFL promised him that they wouldn't let another team go there, then he might be okay. I feel that Kroenke wouldn't be happy on losing out on LA though, even with a new stadium, I think he'd be a bit pissed.

I think Kroneke would be sad to lose out on LA from a purely financial standpoint. But getting another good deal in his current home market, and getting another new stadium built for this franchise in 20 years could be seen as a win for him. He also keeps the Rams in his home state.

I guess there could be an argument both ways, if you really look at it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'll give you this one. The difference is large, though. As you said.

Agreed, they both have a ways to go to catch up.

I think Kroneke would be sad to lose out on LA from a purely financial standpoint. But getting another good deal in his current home market, and getting another new stadium built for this franchise in 20 years could be seen as a win for him. He also keeps the Rams in his home state.

I guess there could be an argument both ways, if you really look at it.

It would depend on what the deal is, right now the offer on the table I don't think is a good one for what he likes to do. To me it's about motivation, I think that Spanos is motivated to protect himself, if LA isn't going to be open, he wants to be part of it to protect his revenue stream.. Kroenke I get the feeling is about the big picture, profits yeah, but he wants to be the guy who made it happen, etc... Davis, who fucking knows what that mop top is thinking.

iced

Is everyone here a lawyer or something? How the hell do you guys know so much about bonds and antitrust laws and litigation? I've been basically reading this thread but it's hard to keep up with all the crazy talk. What does the "G4 Loan" do? Is that the NFL helping pay for relocation? I'm just so utterly confused by all of this.

my old man is a Retired JAG/Lawyer and current Law Professor; I've annoyed him a lot on this issue lol (He's a Steeler fan so there's no bias and is curious on how the nfl is going to handle the situation).

A lot of us I'm gonna go out on a limb and say have done research or read through bylaws, etc. G4 does not cover relocation, it does not meet the guidelines. G4 is intended to give teams incentive from moving to help pay for upgrading a stadium or building a new one.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
They have already said that it won't be able to accommodate a Superbowl. The stadium must expand to 70,000 seats not standing room. A dome or outdoor stadium if average January temperature is 50 degrees or higher(MetLife was an exception).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ty-bid-specifications-and-requirements-leaked
No Rog - you're just demanding all GREEN M&Ms in your party bowl. Gotta wonder what Minn actually eliminated from the list to still get the SB.

BTW - as earlier stated, the Riverfront project has a seating capacity of 62,500 and has the ability for expanded seating. I still think however I recall Peacock saying it would not qualify for a SB but not sure why. I think it was a combination of parking and hotel space.

iced

So if the Rams were to go to LA and open a lawsuit even though congress might end antitrust exemptions (I don't know if they actually would) wouldn't that benefit Kroenke? It means he gets to negotiate his own TV contract while being in LA? Dodgers struck a 7-8 billion dollar deal for their TV bullcrap, an NFL team is probably 10+ easily. That seems like a win for Kroenke.

No, losing the anti trust exemption would be devastating to the NFL. Allowing them to negotiate as one is huge. That's why they share the revenues, equally, regardless of market size. Losing the exemptions would cause a snowball effect - no more salary cap, Market revenue shares, etc.

Kroenke wouldn't sue if he went to LA - he'd sue if he was he told he wasn't going to go to LA... And he would most likely win on that basis, but at the cost of the exemptions. Win the battle, lose the war.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Come on Legs - get with the program. In this thread we're lawyers and NFL Execs. In other threads we're NFL scouts and Head Coaches. You don't know the drill by now?

You didn't know? We are all expert talent evaluators and weekend attorneys. Get up to speed bro....
No doubt. Dude just needs to pull up a chair and learn. Let the adults handle this. :cool:

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
No Rog - you're just demanding all GREEN M&Ms in your party bowl. Gotta wonder what Minn actually eliminated from the list to still get the SB.

BTW - as earlier stated, the Riverfront project has a seating capacity of 62,500 and has the ability for expanded seating. I still think however I recall Peacock saying it would not qualify for a SB but not sure why. I think it was a combination of parking and hotel space.

It's a shame they can't put parking on the Illinois side and run 2 ferries to that awesome dock they put on the river.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Come on Legs - get with the program. In this thread we're lawyers and NFL Execs. In other threads we're NFL scouts and Head Coaches. You don't know the drill by now?

No doubt. Dude just needs to pull up a chair and learn. Let the adults handle this. :cool:
Lol. I just wish I could understand the lingo. But I've learned a ton just from reading. I think you guys might know more then anyone on those stupid Facebook pages.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
All three teams have left the LA market (although the Chargers shouldn't really count, they came at the worst time and only lasted a year) so regardless you're rewarding a team who left LA with LA.

No matter what site they pick, a team is left out in the cold. Three teams want to move there, two teams will. In that same vein, the Raiders seem like they have the least desire to move, so giving them more time to work with Oakland, and an open city to move to if they can't might be seen as good.

I don't see a domino effect either, first every market is different, and second if those teams want to stay in their home market, why wouldn't their market want to work with them? The cat is already out of the bag, we know its possible to build a 2 billion dollar stadium without public assistance. I just don't see why Tampa or Jacksonville is going to say "St Louis put money on the table and their team left, so we're not going to put money on the table even though you want to stay."

Unless those teams want to leave, and in that case, their argument to do so is a lot easier. Seems more like a win for owners.

If Carson is a viable project and the Chargers and Raiders move in together at the same time. The Rams get a new riverfront stadium and all three teams well remain in or close to that original market. Now the fans lose any way this thing goes. If you move the Rams to LA then either the Charges or Raiders lose. Neither one will be able to exist in the current stadium situation. For that franchise to thrive it will probably need significant help from the NFL or face relocation and start from scratch in another environment. Currently all three have somewhat of an LA fanbase but only one has a strong fanbase outside of LA, that's the Rams. It absolutely can start a domino affect. I don't care what the market is if you see the STL contributed $400 million in public funds and the NFL allows them to relocate what incentive does that give any other market to contribute? Well you have money from STL and you still let them leave so why should we contribute? Clearly cities are not enthusiastic about contributing money to billionaires and this give them a reason. Owners that don't want to or can't fit the bill on their own need public funds. There are only a handful of cities that can use the San Fran model to build a stadium. Jax and TB are not one of them.

Last edited:

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
As the stomach turns... Diehl goes Clinton.

Screenshots of the text messages between Diehl and the intern are punctuated throughout with emoticons and emojis — cartoonish faces that smile or wink. They paint a picture of playful sexual innuendo.

Her: “You better take care of me.”

Diehl: “Like how?”

Her: “I’ll bet you’ll figure it out.”

Diehl: “I dunno. You have always been disappointed;)

Her: “I just have high expectations, I guess. Thus far, you’ve done pretty well (an emoji blows a kiss)”

Diehl: “:). I kinda want to hear what you are expecting”

Then, shortly after, he types: “You will be in good hands
icon_e_smile.gif

At one point Diehl texts her “God I want you right now,” to which she replies “I wish you could have me right now.”

In another exchange, she sends a picture of herself in a bikini and Diehl responds: “Damn girl …”

“Nice”

Shortly after he writes: “I want to see more” followed by a smiling emoji.

Another exchange centered on Diehl texting that he was “Laying in bed looking at your pic
icon_e_smile.gif

She responded: “Mmmmm why can’t I be there
icon_e_smile.gif

Diehl shared photos as well, including one apparently taken while he was on a trade mission to Europe with Gov. Jay Nixon. The picture shows the speaker standing next to a luxury car in Munich, Germany.

“Munich is a cool place,” he says.

“That suit and tie combo is sexy and you look great,” she responds. “I see a lot of work is happening.”

Diehl lives with his wife and three sons in Town and Country, Mo.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article20822424.html

iced

Lol. I just wish I could understand the lingo. But I've learned a ton just from reading. I think you guys might know more then anyone on those stupid Facebook pages.

Lol right. I can't break down some of the statues that well (especially the sherman act) , had to have my old man spell it out to me like a Legal Hooked on phonics

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.