New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moostache

Rookie
Actually, I am going to guess that he cares quite a bit. I realize that many in the Lou don't care for the man much but if you look at his investments and teams, they concentrate quite a bit on image and being a shining star - unfortunately sometimes even more than winning championships. I don't see the Raiduhs fitting his MO or empire.
The fans of Arsenal would vehemently disagree with all of that....just saying.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Why would Stan want to trade his team, that he developed and is building for a team that is further behind?

If its name only, why do that when the Rams have a long history in LA, and a solid fanbase that he doesn't need to reshape away from the gangster image that the Raiders have. Rams, in name, are more of a sure thing in LA.

I also think it is irrelevant in the long term.

It's been 20 years since the Rams were in LA. The folks that were long time fans of the LA Rams are generally getting older in age (no offense fellas!)...if that city wants NFL football as bad as many say then whichever team gets there will generate a significant fanbase and the Rams (or Raiders, really) going there is only going to be a short term kick start, and even then the fact that a new team is there at all will likely generate a comparable effect.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
you can get around the capital gains tax by reinvesting the profits right away into something else. A new stadium for instance.

If he were interested in Rules he would be in discussion with Dave Peacock about what he wants in this new stadium STL is offering to build themselves.
FIXED. lol

Typically by reinvesting in your business gains can be written off, similar to a r1al estate 1031 exchange when selling a home. Not sure about football teams. Are you sure beej?

would Stan still be a hero in LA if he bought the Raiders and moved them there?

NO!

Last edited:

Moostache

Rookie
Why would Stan want to trade his team, that he developed and is building for a team that is further behind?
The same reason that Rosenbloom and Irsay swapped the Rams and Colts? Who knows 'why'....could be a choice, could be as part of a deal with the league, could be simply to thumb his nose if the league says the Chargers and Raiders can move but the Rams cannot. I seriously doubt Kroenke's commitment to building a winning team has ANYTHING to do with potential relocation, at all.

beej

Rookie
Typically by reinvesting in your business gains can be written off, similar to a r1al estate 1031 exchange when selling a home. Not sure about football teams. Are you sure beej?
I guess I won't know for sure till I sell him my team. ;)

beej

Rookie
You spoke with such certainty, I assumed you knew. My bad.
that's how it works in every business deal I've ever done. Obviously never made a deal that big. But I will tell you one thing. If I had the kind of money these guys have, I'd probably sell it all to get rid of the head aches and fill my indoor pool with it. More time for fishing and hunting.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
I also think it is irrelevant in the long term.

It's been 20 years since the Rams were in LA. The folks that were long time fans of the LA Rams are generally getting older in age (no offense fellas!)...if that city wants NFL football as bad as many say then whichever team gets there will generate a significant fanbase and the Rams (or Raiders, really) going there is only going to be a short term kick start, and even then the fact that a new team is there at all will likely generate a comparable effect.

Over time I imagine who ever is here will catch on. I remember going to a Raiders Chargers game in LA. I didn't wear my colors on purpose. During the 3rd qtr I went to the head and upon entering I found a bloody Chargers fan half unconscious on the floor soaked in piss. Yeah I want those f'ers repping my town.
We want the Rams back.
And I'm not that old. But thanks

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
that's how it works in every business deal I've ever done. Obviously never made a deal that big. But I will tell you one thing. If I had the kind of money these guys have, I'd probably sell it all to get rid of the head aches and fill my indoor pool with it. More time for fishing and hunting.
Now that's what I'm talking about. And if the jacuzzi is filled with cold beer even better. lol

beej

Rookie
I can only imagine what Raiderstalk@stltoday would look like. That's why I've said all along, if they move to STL they have to completely cut ties with everything Oakland for my support.

RAMbler

UDFA
well, you got me there. Never been to LA or even California. I mostly try to avoid big cities altogether if at all possible. :)

Well, I would guess that 'every' big city has it's thug-element who would love to see a team like the Raiders come to town.... '

RAMbler

UDFA
I can only imagine what Raiderstalk@stltoday would look like. That's why I've said all along, if they move to STL they have to completely cut ties with everything Oakland for my support.

What? No Skull Mask? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Moostache

Rookie
You really think Stan is going to trade all the moving parts he has assembled? If you are talking about him simply changing his organizational name, then I could maybe see it. I doubt it but maybe. But seriously, exchanging teams would be like Nike exchanging headquarters and employees with Adidas. It ain't happenin'
Personally I do not believe Kroenke cares a whit about this team and the way its been built recently. He is not like Arthur Blank on the sidelines every week visibly dying with his team's losses or little Danny Snyder or Jerry Jones. He is a greed monster interested in finances and profits and valuations and NOTHING else.

I was not thinking about swapping teams...I was thinking about Mark Davis lacking the money to fight off a hostile takeover of the Raiders, and that the league could facilitate his ouster if they chose just as easily as they could allow the Rams to move. There are plenty of reasons to think the guy with the least amount of financial clout will be the one to eventually be on the wrong end of the red-hot poker in the end. Davis is the owner with the least ability to influence events and that's usually the guy to get table scraps at best.

Kroenke has the most money and likely the least league approval for a move (at least by the letter of the guidelines anyway).
Spanos is not in Kroenke's financial district, but the owners seem to like him better than Kroenke.
Davis is the guy on the short stack, the dead man owning, the guy most likely to be without a chair when the music finally ends.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The fans of Arsenal would vehemently disagree with all of that....just saying.
You'll find both. I know - shocking for a fan base. I assume you ARE talking about the 2014 FA Cup Champions - right?

I think you are letting your personal opinion of the man distort things a bit.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Sorry but I've seen the projections and when you take expenses into account, it would take many moons for the additional Dome revenue streams to come close to outweighing the cost of building the new stadium. And without the extension of the bonds, it looks like they would essentially have to refinance the Dome and try to pay for it on a long term deal using these increased revenues from added events.

This is another reason I feel losing the Rams would be very bad for the city. Not only do you not get the new stadium built and the revitalization of the river front but now the Dome essentially has to pay for itself. With no NFL or NBA team in town, does the Dome attract some of the more major events? I dunno but I doubt it.

From what I've seen, the dome can pay for itself. It already attracts major conventions, and it will be able to get more without the Rams having absolute need of the dome 6 months out of the year.

Moostache

Rookie
You'll find both. I know - shocking for a fan base. I assume you ARE talking about the 2014 FA Cup Champions - right?

I think you are letting your personal opinion of the man distort things a bit.
http://www.espnfc.us/club/arsenal/3...led-and-5-things-we-learned-from-arsenals-agm

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/23/stan-kroenke-arsenal-dividend-fans-anger

Those are just the first two links when you search "Arsenal Kroenke"

Not my personal feelings alone I guess...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Personally I do not believe Kroenke cares a whit about this team and the way its been built recently. He is not like Arthur Blank on the sidelines every week visibly dying with his team's losses or little Danny Snyder or Jerry Jones. He is a greed monster interested in finances and profits and valuations and NOTHING else.

I was not thinking about swapping teams...I was thinking about Mark Davis lacking the money to fight off a hostile takeover of the Raiders, and that the league could facilitate his ouster if they chose just as easily as they could allow the Rams to move. There are plenty of reasons to think the guy with the least amount of financial clout will be the one to eventually be on the wrong end of the red-hot poker in the end. Davis is the owner with the least ability to influence events and that's usually the guy to get table scraps at best.

Kroenke has the most money and likely the least league approval for a move (at least by the letter of the guidelines anyway).
Spanos is not in Kroenke's financial district, but the owners seem to like him better than Kroenke.
Davis is the guy on the short stack, the dead man owning, the guy most likely to be without a chair when the music finally ends.
A hostile take over of the Raiduhs isn't the farthest fetched idea I've heard. I think it may only be a matter of time before Davis is forced to sell or loses the team.

I think you are wrong on Kroenke. I don't mean that he is doing what he does out of some form of team loyalty or generosity but he tends to care a great deal how his businesses are developed and run. I also think you take his business tactics and place other NFL owners on some higher plain. Money and prestige is #1 for all of these guys.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So what? Are you going to find love letters for any billionaire team owner? The nerve of him actually taking a dividend from a team he bought. How dare he?

I'm guessing those same fans (see hooligans) were partying pretty hardy after winning the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.