New kickoff rule - big change

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

ORLANDO, Fla. -- NFL owners approved a massive revamp of the kickoff play Tuesday, opting for a format that originated in the XFL after three days of discussions at the league's annual meeting.

The new alignment rules represent the most significant on-field rule change for the NFL in years and is designed to reverse more than a decade of declining return rates while also lowering concussion rates. In essence, the format will move the majority of the kicking and return teams downfield to minimize high-speed collisions. It will go into effect for one year only in anticipation of possible tweaks over time.

During the 2024 season, kickers will continue to kick from the 35-yard line, but the other 10 players on the kickoff team will line up at the receiving team's 40-yard line. At least nine members of the return team will line up in a "setup zone" between the 35- and 30-yard line. Up to two returners can line up in a "landing zone" between the goal line and the 20-yard line.

No one other than the kicker and returner(s) can move until the ball hits the ground or a player inside the landing zone. Touchbacks will be marked at the 30-yard line, and no fair catches will be allowed. In the event a team wants to attempt an onside kick, it will have to inform officials of its intent and would then be allowed to use the NFL's traditional formation. No surprise onside kicks will be allowed.

The proposal follows the structure and philosophy of the XFL version with a slight shift in where the players are aligned. In the XFL, they lined up farther downfield, between the returning team's 30- and 35-yard lines. More than 90% of kickoffs were returned during the XFL's two seasons. NFL special teams coaches who participated in designing the NFL version of this format are hoping for a return rate of at least 80% in 2024.

The reason for the change is clear. In its efforts to reduce concussions on kickoffs, the NFL over the past 15 seasons has implemented rule changes designed to reduce returns. It moved the kickoff from the 30-yard line to the 35-yard line, outlawed wedge and double-team blocks and in 2023 created a rule that allowed a fair catch to be spotted at the 25-yard line.

Touchback rates dramatically increased over that period, and the return rate fell to a league-record 21.7% in 2023. The number of concussions dropped as well, but only in parallel with the decrease in returns. The rate of concussions per kickoff, according to league officials, has remained relatively constant.

Speaking before the vote, Detroit Lions coach Dan Campbell said he was in favor.

"You felt like that took a significant amount of plays out of the game, and those were from special teams. And you don't make it up really anywhere else. And so, we put an emphasis on it. So, I believe in it."

On Monday, owners approved three other rule changes:

• A prohibition of the swivel hip drop tackle technique.
  • Allowing teams to receive a third challenge after one successful challenge. Previously, teams had to be successful on two challenges to receive a third. The proposal was submitted by the Lions.
  • If there is a double foul during a down in which there is a change or changes of possession, including if one of the fouls is a post-possession foul by a team during a scrimmage kick, the team last gaining possession will keep the ball after enforcement for its foul, provided it did not foul before last gaining possession.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
More of a reason to bring in a WR who can return kicks.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Traditionalists are gonna hate, but this is the best of both worlds. Decrease unneeded collisions while also increasing the odds of a return instead of kneel down 99% of the time.

It's gonna look weird for sure tho.

Psycho_X

Legend
I don't hate it other than the fact that Special Teams continue to be one of McVay's few weaknesses when it comes to coaching. So need to spend some time and resources on tightening that shit up even more.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It would have been better if they moved the kick to the 30. From the 35, an overwhelming majority of kicks go into the end zone anyway.

What's the penalty for "moving early", 5 yards? I'm sure we'll see a good number of those, which, in some cases, could move the ball back to the 30 anyway.

Small concession.....no surprise onside kicks. Sure they rarely happen, but when they do, it's huge.

Should be interesting.....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If there is a double foul during a down in which there is a change or changes of possession, including if one of the fouls is a post-possession foul by a team during a scrimmage kick, the team last gaining possession will keep the ball after enforcement for its foul, provided it did not foul before last gaining possession.
Clear as mud.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I mean... If the returner returns it he's gonna have a helluva head start which should result in excellent field position. Getting rid of the surprise onside kick sucks, as does not changing the existing onside kick rules, which have a very low success rate.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
What about my boy Tutu.
X2fgsU.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What about my boy Tutu.
Still hanging onto that dream are we?

Wasn’t he tried as a returner at one time?

I was going to say, that this helps increase the value of the Runningback position. More than ever, I wish Zach Evans had looked much better last year. His speed would be good for returns. However, vision and burst will matter and he didn’t display either in his few reps last season.
Wont 95% of the kicks be touchbacks anyway????
No. This will increase the number of returns. To keep teams from just booming kicks to the end zone a touchback moves up to the 30 yard line. I could see McVay just opting to go for touchbacks when he kicks. However on offense it will cause the returner to run the ball since there is no fair catch.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think they should change it to having a long snapper snap it to a RB who would then lateral it back to a holder who would then set the ball on a tee for the kicker to have to kick the ball in between the 5 and 10 yard line. If the kicker is unable to hit that mark, the returner then would have to choose between lateralling it back to another returner or do the worm twice and then get up and run. If the returner chose the worm, the defense would have to form a conga line and not be allowed to break it until after the two worms are completed. If the lateral option is chosen, the defenders would all have to put their left foot in and shake it all about before doing the hoochie coochie. And of course none of this could start until Goodhell honks his clown horn.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
So let me get this straight.
Touchback in now 30?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
They are actually encouraging returns/discouraging kickers from kicking into the endzone.
I think it's a really good change.