New Defense - Ongoing season discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
Be curious to see grades on Rozeboom and Reeder's performances. They weren't game-changers--neither has that level of talent--but they played pretty well and were not a glaring liability as in years past.
Pff had them both bottom 5:
  • CB Tre’Davious White: 52.1
  • NT Bobby Brown III: 49.6
  • LB Christian Rozeboom: 47.5
  • LB Troy Reeder: 44.2
  • DE Tyler Davis: 38.8
I think they did decent early in the game but got worn down and exposed. The OT TD was predominantly on them.

Psycho_X

Legend
Pff had them both bottom 5:
  • CB Tre’Davious White: 52.1
  • NT Bobby Brown III: 49.6
  • LB Christian Rozeboom: 47.5
  • LB Troy Reeder: 44.2
  • DE Tyler Davis: 38.8
I think they did decent early in the game but got worn down and exposed. The OT TD was predominantly on them.
Yeah I'm surprised by the board support for Reeder, I was not impressed and still believe he is a weakness. Even when he was in the right position he tended to get blown up anyway.`

BB3 got stood up way too much and blown backwards as well... I had high hopes after he put together some decent tape the last half of last season but this was not a good start for him.

White got burned about as bad a CB can, it happens on occasion when asked to man up a speedster. Overall I thought he had an ok game though and am just pleased he made it through looking healthy again. I wasn't sure he'd even play to begin the season when we signed him. At this point we are extremely reliant on his health which is scary.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah we got worked pretty good in the trenches period. I expected our OL to get worked, given the OTs and shuffling of the interior late in preseason. But the DL getting worked was surprising. They did hold up for much of the game, but I think the Detroit staff did a better job prioritizing physicality and had better players overall and that ended up deciding things.

I agree that Shula is off to a great start. If the defense had not played so well early on we would have gotten trucked in that game. That was a blowout waiting to happen but they forced some short fields and the offense thanks to Stafford did a great job eating clock and drives.

Going forward I can't wait to see what Shula does when he gets Speights in there and sorts this DL depth. Still think we can end up with a very good defense, as long as our corners stay healthy.
How do you "prioritize physicality?" Everyone is physical in this sport. I think this was more of a case of rookies and 2nd year players on the defensive line who are not yet in game shape and who were asked to stop a running game in OT against the best Oline in football. The rookies especially probably were a little shook when facing the best in the NFL, vs. the Olines in college. They will get a lot better....

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
How do you "prioritize physicality?" Everyone is physical in this sport. I think this was more of a case of rookies and 2nd year players on the defensive line who are not yet in game shape and who were asked to stop a running game in OT against the best Oline in football. The rookies especially probably were a little shook when facing the best in the NFL, vs. the Olines in college. They will get a lot better....
Look at the Chargers. Instantly they are a stout defense under Harbaugh. They were weak as fuck in that regard last year. Watch their blowout vs the Raiders contrasted with this year's opener. The difference is night and day.

Many of the same players too. But I think he said day one we are fundamentally gonna be tough and ran everything with that result in mind from day one in camp.

McVay is great. But he still could learn a thing or two when it comes to fucking physicality.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look at the Chargers. Instantly they are a stout defense under Harbaugh. They were weak as fuck in that regard last year. Watch their blowout vs the Raiders contrasted with this year's opener. The difference is night and day.

Many of the same players too. But I think he said day one we are fundamentally gonna be tough and ran everything with that result in mind from day one in camp.

McVay is great. But he still could learn a thing or two when it comes to fucking physicality.
Last year the Chargers were playing for a dead man walking HC. Sounds like Harbs stuck an electrode up their collective arses. Plus, they have not been allowed to shower for two weeks to be offensive as possible...

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Last year the Chargers were playing for a dead man walking HC. Sounds like Harbs stuck an electrode up their collective arses. Plus, they have not been allowed to shower for two weeks to be offensive as possible...
True. But some coaches have a healthy respect for physicality. Others do not. You could take Ratboy and put him on another team and within a year or two they would be a strong run team. And they would stop the run. It is in the end about identity and to what extent you will go to ensure you have that identity.

McVay puts kid gloves on in camp. They get some physicality work of course. But his teams have an identity of slow out the gate, midseason swoon then toughness embraced make their run. And this translates into he will never start fast and put up a high win season where he has the first seed until that changes.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Ummm….. they played the Raiders.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Lol at some of the sweeping judgements on the Rams after losing a game where they were down to their 3rd or 4th LT.. backup RT & backup center.

After the Rams held an offense expected to be top 5.. to only 20 points during regulation… playing at home.

Methinks some doth protest too much.

Gimme a healthy Oline & the Rams win comfortably.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lol at some of the sweeping judgements on the Rams after losing a game where they were down to their 3rd or 4th LT.. backup RT & backup center.

After the Rams held an offense expected to be top 5.. to only 20 points during regulation… playing at home.

How dare you be logical!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

It's not the offense I had a problem with.
That overtime defense was pretty pathetic.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It's not the offense I had a problem with.
That overtime defense was pretty pathetic.
And was good enough in regulation to get the Rams the ball back late in game.. but they couldn’t get a 1st down.

Complimentary football.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
And was good enough in regulation to get the Rams the ball back late in game.. but they couldn’t get a 1st down.

Complimentary football.
So it was tied up with both teams going into overtime.
One team is blowing the other team off the line of scrimmage and running the ball down their throat.

Nothing to compliment on that.

Toothsayer

UDFA
Name
Richard H Stee

Yup, some comments seem based more on negative affirmation bias than reality. We all get the ILBs are limited, but DET's RBs combined for 5 catches & 36 yards. LaPorta had 4/45. Held the two RBs to a combined 80 something rushing during regulation. I thought The Rams were supposed to fall apart in the short pass game & run support without Donald & Jones ? The OT collapse happened & can't be ignored, but it was far from the whole story.

St Brown 3/13. Raymond not a factor, Wright not a factor. Why aren't we thrilled about that newly-constituted secondary's collective performance ? One bad play for White vs Jamo is all some fans see ?

We're all frustrated by the Boom issues in general, but McVay revealed that his high ankle sprain happened on the FIRST snap. He played 26 more before leaving the game. Maybe the snark that seems to view injuries as a character flaw should be tempered.

Get 5 guys, any five, from the first snap of Weds practice to the last snap vs AZ, & this team can win some games playing defense at that level.

Bring on the Scarlet Stump & enjoy Baker/a healthy TB crew taking those kitties down as an appetizer.