Need Some Advise

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I know there are a bunch of you guys that are great with computers, etc. so I am reaching out for some advise. One of my sons purchased a Toshiba laptop back in August 2013. In February, the screen started to flicker, but it only happened when he initially turned on his PC. Then in late March, he started getting horizontal lines and eventually could not see anything on the screen. So, I called Toshiba's tech support and they gave me the information to send his laptop in for repair. The person I spoke with indicated the repair would be covered by his warranty, which doesn't expire until August 2014. They sent me the box to send it in and even paid for the shipping.

Two days ago, I received a voicemail from a person at their repair depot indicating the LCD was broken and it was not covered under warranty, and if I wanted it repaired I would have to pay $300.00 before any repair would be made. That same day I tried to call their repair depot back, but it was closed. Yesterday I received an email indicating the laptop was being shipped back. When I called, they confirmed it was being shipped back, and no repairs were made. As I indicated to the person whom I spoke with last night, I wasn't even given the chance to accept or decline to have the laptop repaired. They just stuffed it back in the box and sent it back. So, today I called a "Case Manager" and after 50 frustrating minutes was told they were not obligated to fix it because this type of problem is not covered under their warranty.

I have been told by some they have had the same problem with defective screens on Toshiba laptops. Even the customer manager at the local Staples store indicated customers have had this issue with laptops they purchased. I do have a friend that owns a business dealing with computer repairs, etc. I will ask him what, if anything, he can do with it. Is there any recourse to filing a complaint against Toshiba, or am I wasting my time. Any advise will help. Thanks.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My advice is to try to find a way to get in touch with their loyalty department, if they have one. A lot of companies don't want to lose a customer over something like this, knowing they'll never get you back if they don't make this right.

That said, laptop screens are surprisingly easy to replace. I've used these guys:

http://www.screencountry.com/?regular_site=1

You probably can even find a video on YouTube demonstrating how to change your screen.

Sorry for your luck, MT.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Screw them. Go right to a store, buy the same monitor, swap it out with your faulty one, and return it to the store for a refund. Play their shady game.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Screw them. Go right to a store, buy the same monitor, swap it out with your faulty one, and return it to the store for a refund. Play their shady game.
ouch!

how much is a new screen for this machine? their are plenty of reputable dealers who sell new screens, and typically there are instructions on the web for DIY.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Unfortunately, the game in the laptop biz is to sell 'em cheaply and rake in the dough on repairs. Unless you have disposable income that allows you to replace your laptop every couple of years, you're doomed to this endless circle of frustration. Regarding your specific case, however, I would ask (demand) a copy of the warranty that stipulates what is and is not covered, and then ask (demand) a written letter explaining how it isn't covered, and demand it in 72 hours or you'll turn the matter over to the Better Business Bureau. When you do call them, keep asking for supervisors until they run out of people to transfer you to.

Unfortunately (again), you'll probably get little satisfaction.

If you're even remotely handy, YouTube your specific problem for an instructional video on how to repair it, and you'll save some significant money.