NBA vs NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Pat Riley sucked as a basketball player

That's a little harsh. Riley was one of the top three reserves on that 1971-'72 Lakers' team that won 69 games, 33-in-a-row and an NBA Championship.

Although Bill Sharman did no use his bench much that season, Riley was the only no-starter to play in every playoff game; and the only reserve to average more than ten-minutes-per-game, averaging sixteen minutes.

And he had a cool, Harry Reems mustache ...
1719512150081.png

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pat Riley sucked as a basketball player

Great coach though.

The team also had John Trapp on it too.
I know. I recently saw a picture of Riley among the others in 1971, he looked like a mouse! I watched that team back then and don’t remember him at all.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a little harsh. Riley was one of the top three reserves on that 1971-'72 Lakers' team that won 69 games, 33-in-a-row and an NBA Championship.

Although Bill Sharman did no use his bench much that season, Riley was the only no-starter to play in every playoff game; and the only reserve to average more than ten-minutes-per-game, averaging sixteen minutes.

View attachment 65928
Riley lover!

Tano

Legend

View attachment 65928
I remembered that there were occasions where Flynn was the sixth man off the bench and he was only reserve to play.

I also remembered when Jerry West got hurt in the 73 74 season and they were forced to play Pat Riley and that team barely won their division. And then the next year, the Lakers were terrible after Jerry West retired.

Last edited:

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I'll defend the NBA. NFL is my #1 but NBA is #2. Has anyone watched it in a while? There's been a lot more parity within the last 4 years so one team is not dominating which is awesome.

80s defense is a myth. They weren't stronger and did not play better defense - no one could score and shoot as well as they do now so they just congested the paint. Now, as a big man, you can't get away with being tall anymore. You have to make your free throws, dribble and shoot.

I still don't understand the value of NBA draft picks. They trade picks like 5-10 years in the future, and will give up like 5 future first round picks to for a supposed all-star.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
80s defense is a myth. They weren't stronger and did not play better defense - no one could score and shoot as well as they do now so they just congested the paint. Now, as a big man, you can't get away with being tall anymore. You have to make your free throws, dribble and shoot.
Totally false
80's ball had big men shooting mid range jumpers, nobody hits that shot or even takes it any more.
Today's game is all 3 pointers

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Spurs are fucking idiots. You have last years #1 pick and you have a chance to add a good player at #8 and you trade it away for 2 picks in 6 and 7 years when your current best player likely leaves you for a team that's good and your HoF asshole coach retires, he's also one of the guys responsible for this stupid trade. Way to go

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll defend the NBA. NFL is my #1 but NBA is #2. Has anyone watched it in a while? There's been a lot more parity within the last 4 years so one team is not dominating which is awesome.

I still don't understand the value of NBA draft picks. They trade picks like 5-10 years in the future, and will give up like 5 future first round picks to for a supposed all-star.
Garbage, bro. 80's basketball was much more physical. Kareem's skyhook was automatic and unstoppable. Larry Bird was almost unstoppable with his 3 pointers and he made good players look silly, but both got down and dirty inside. I think an 80's team would rough up the pretty boy's who throw up 3 pointers without opposition.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Spurs are fucking idiots. You have last years #1 pick and you have a chance to add a good player at #8 and you trade it away for 2 picks in 6 and 7 years when your current best player likely leaves you for a team that's good and your HoF asshole coach retires, he's also one of the guys responsible for this stupid trade. Way to go
Don't hold back!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Pop is going the exact wrong way. Wemby is surrounded by shitty, selfish players who hate him (I shit you not, they ran out the shot clock at least a dozen times per game instead of passing to a wide-open Wemby.), so not trading Sochan - the massive catalyst for most of the selfish play - for another pick in this class and keeping the #8 pick was a huge mistake that I really think will come back to bite them in the ass.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Riley lover!
I never really cared for ol’ greaseball, as he had a stacked team during the showtime years.

Still disappointed the Lakers took Reddick over Bickerstaff to appease LeGM. Heck LeGM could have tolerated JB as he played for him for a couple years.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I have never understood what enjoyment people got out of watching teams score a basket every 30 seconds.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I don’t know what makes the NBA so boring to me; I think possibly it’s the number of things that can happen is so limited, and all the possibilities are so commonplace. Seeing anything unusual is so rare..

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
The NBA sucks. Can not touch anyone and a bunch of short 3s.
Bring back the 80s NBA.
Todays NBA is unwatchable. No low post games. Power forwards and centers do not play the low post game with their backs to the hoop, taking a pass and putting a move on some fool. Mchale, Worthy, Malone, Bird, Hakeem, Kareem........ all those great post players have gone the way of some stupid 3 pointer that is not a bomb at all.
You have "isolation" bull shit where the 2 "stars" go one on one and 8 guys watch, LAME.
And the "star" HAS TO TAKE THE LAST SHOT ! Its terrible. Gone is team play and passing. The guy who has the best shot should get it no matter who it is (almost)
Kobe was great and all, but I did not like him having to take the last shot no matter what in the end.
You young guys do not know how great the 1980s NBA was.
Oh, Lebron, I can not stand that POS. Will watch the Lakers some when he is gone.
Find out what his pre game rituals mean ! Fuck that guy.
He will get what is coming to him.