My Super Early 2022 Rams Draft Watch List

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'd murder someone for Howell, but he's likely going first or second round.
Well, IDK about murder, but I like Sam Howell too, however, I agree 2nd round seems about right for slinging Sammy Howell.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, IDK about murder, but I like Sam Howell too, however, I agree 2nd round seems about right for slinging Sammy Howell.
Only if he's over drafted. He's probably a 3rd or 4th now. His best play came as a freshman. The more tape on him, the more teams knew how to stop him

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll say it now. Marcus Jones is the guy we should draft with our first pick (late 3rd round) if he's available. He's a CB out of Houston. He's too small to play outside, but he's an elite returner and an impact player in the slot. Despite being 5'8" 190 (5'8" might be generous), he tackles like a safety. He has great speed and agility, natural cover skills, good ball skills, and a physical style of play.

What he lacks is length. If he was 5'11", he'd be one of the top CBs in this draft. But his lack of size causes him issues on the outside against big WRs. However, we badly need a slot CB. We need a CB who will tackle. And we need a guy on special teams who can make a difference. Brandon Powell has been a nice addition, but being able to save a roster spot because we have a contributor who can also return is an advantage. Did I mention that Jones can also play WR?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Uym5Vw57k

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only if he's over drafted. He's probably a 3rd or 4th now. His best play came as a freshman. The more tape on him, the more teams knew how to stop him
I'd take Sam Howell in the late first round. He's a good prospect. Guy completely reinvented himself this year to compensate for what UNC lost (2 NFL WRs and 2 NFL HBs). After being a prolific pocket passer earlier in his career, he ran for over 1000 yards (after removing the sack yardage) and 11 TDs. And his passing numbers, while not as good as his earlier numbers (because of the supporting cast dropping off), are still darn good. He needs time to develop, but I like his game if the team that drafts him puts a good OL in front of him.

I'll say this. If there's one guy I wish we could draft and develop, it's Malik Willis. Super raw mentally, but his athletic skillset is insane. He has Kyler's physical attributes, but he's bigger. He's just not as mentally and technically polished as Kyler was coming out. He's a risk, but I would have loved to see what McVay could do with a guy like that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We need secondary help pretty bad. If it was me I'd want two things this offseason: a safety who can play over the top opposite Fuller, and a CB.

I would also prioritize finding guys who are straight dogs. The ones with big fight to them.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We need secondary help pretty bad. If it was me I'd want two things this offseason: a safety who can play over the top opposite Fuller, and a CB.

I would also prioritize finding guys who are straight dogs. The ones with big fight to them.
Yup second year in a row I will be pounding the table for DB's picked. Jrry's guy above looks nice.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That's why I want Marcus Jones. He plays with a chip on his shoulder. We would not have been getting roasted from the slot with him in there today. And he'd give us one of the best returners in the NFL to boot. Plus, if McVay wanted, he could bring him in on offense on occasion. He's electric with the ball in his hands.

View: https://twitter.com/uhcougarfb/status/1457150240872611842

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know this isn't at the top of our list of must-have needs, but if we're looking to improve the backup QB situation, I like Jack Coan on Day 3. Really surprised me how much I liked him when reviewing his games because I didn't have a good perception of him based on my casual viewings of him at Wisconsin and Notre Dame. He reminded me a little of Kirk Cousins coming out of Michigan State.

Coan has two years worth of starting experience in pro-style offenses. He's comfortable making NFL-style reads and moving through progressions. He's tough as nails in the pocket and has good presence and movement. He throws the ball with good accuracy in the short and intermediate ranges. Threw outside the hashes with precise timing and touch. Possessed a better arm than I thought he did while watching him casually. Compact release.

The negatives with him are that he has low-level mobility. His arm strength is middling. Think Jimmy Garoppolo. His deep accuracy is very underwhelming. And he has a game-manager style. He's pretty conservative with the football.

But overall, I like him. He has some physical limitations, but he's the sort of guy who can step in and execute the offense. You can trust him to protect the ball and make smart decisions. And he'll be a guy whose intangibles and intelligence add to the QB room. Also seems like a kid who might have the potential to grow into a guy who could be a starting QB. I think his ceiling is Kirk Cousins, while his realistic comparison is Brian Hoyer.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
Jrry,
You are my favorite poster over the next 6 months! I like the film on Marcus Jones a ton and agree on your "fit" take. So I have to ask, is this "your guy" this year (ala Kupp)?
Also, as a Badger fan/alum, I have to say you are spot on in your assessment of Coan. I have no doubt his ceiling is a career back-up (ala former Badger Jim Sorgi, for example). We SO missed him this as the coaching staff had to be upfront with Mertz, which likely led to Coan's departure.

My only two offerings to your comment on Coan is
- I really believe his "conservative" approach on the field is something that was drilled into him by coaches. He's not Russell Wilson and the Badger formula is to win the t.o. battle, run the ball, and play good D. He was coached to be safe with it.

- His arm strength appears okay (NFL level) given velocity/distance, but he's not accurate with it beyond 18. He can throw it a long way, but not accurately. Thus his ceiling. If he could improve accuracy beyond 18, Cousins is the perfect high-end comparable.

Wisconsinram

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I will continue to pound the drum for Tyler Badie. Personally would ship out Henderson to make room for this kid because I think he could be special. I'm talking Jamaal Charles special. Yeah, that's my comparison, and I'm sticking to it because with Badie's size, he'd probably fall a long way (into the fourth) but end up as the best back in the draft. He would be the guy I use the third round comp pick on, and I'd use it in a second without hesitation.

The last Mizzou player who excited me this much? Nick Bolton last year. I felt as giddy as the proverbial schoolgirl with him. Same thing with Badie. I am not saying this as a Mizzou fan; just as a Rams fan and who can help our team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
RB, QB, S, CB.

You all are checking all of the need boxes as they stand right now.

I’m with @Merlin though. Safety and corner look like must haves. They need guys that can cover and tackle.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RB, QB, S, CB.

You all are checking all of the need boxes as they stand right now.

I’m with @Merlin though. Safety and corner look like must haves. They need guys that can cover and tackle.
At least I won't have to debate with him this year that we need db's :D

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'll say it now. Marcus Jones is the guy we should draft with our first pick (late 3rd round) if he's available. He's a CB out of Houston. He's too small to play outside, but he's an elite returner and an impact player in the slot. Despite being 5'8" 190 (5'8" might be generous), he tackles like a safety. He has great speed and agility, natural cover skills, good ball skills, and a physical style of play.

What he lacks is length. If he was 5'11", he'd be one of the top CBs in this draft. But his lack of size causes him issues on the outside against big WRs. However, we badly need a slot CB. We need a CB who will tackle. And we need a guy on special teams who can make a difference. Brandon Powell has been a nice addition, but being able to save a roster spot because we have a contributor who can also return is an advantage. Did I mention that Jones can also play WR?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Uym5Vw57k

Please not another 5’-8” player. That’s too small to have the same production in the NFL as in college. Look at those guys he’s playing against. They are not NFL size players. He’d be 4” shorter than most receivers and 6” or 7” shorter than the bigger ones. That’s a huge disadvantage. Long was good in college but hasn’t been able to play at the same level in college.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry,
You are my favorite poster over the next 6 months! I like the film on Marcus Jones a ton and agree on your "fit" take. So I have to ask, is this "your guy" this year (ala Kupp)?
Also, as a Badger fan/alum, I have to say you are spot on in your assessment of Coan. I have no doubt his ceiling is a career back-up (ala former Badger Jim Sorgi, for example). We SO missed him this as the coaching staff had to be upfront with Mertz, which likely led to Coan's departure.

My only two offerings to your comment on Coan is
- I really believe his "conservative" approach on the field is something that was drilled into him by coaches. He's not Russell Wilson and the Badger formula is to win the t.o. battle, run the ball, and play good D. He was coached to be safe with it.

- His arm strength appears okay (NFL level) given velocity/distance, but he's not accurate with it beyond 18. He can throw it a long way, but not accurately. Thus his ceiling. If he could improve accuracy beyond 18, Cousins is the perfect high-end comparable.

Wisconsinram
Eh, no. But my "guy" isn't going to be around when we pick.
Please not another 5’-8” player. That’s too small to have the same production in the NFL as in college. Look at those guys he’s playing against. They are not NFL size players. He’d be 4” shorter than most receivers and 6” or 7” shorter than the bigger ones. That’s a huge disadvantage. Long was good in college but hasn’t been able to play at the same level in college.
That's why you move him into the slot. He'll be an animal in there. And he's an elite returner. David Long is 5'11". His issues aren't because he's too small. Hell, Darious Williams is 5'9" and is good outside CB for us. We'd be just fine with Jones in the slot. Many of the top slot CBs (Kenny Moore, Bryce Callahan, K'Waun Williams, Tavon Young, D.J. Reed, etc.) are listed at 5'9", like Jones is. Hell, NRC was tiny and gave us good play in the slot under Wade. We need coverage ability there.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know this isn't at the top of our list of must-have needs, but if we're looking to improve the backup QB situation, I like Jack Coan on Day 3. Really surprised me how much I liked him when reviewing his games because I didn't have a good perception of him based on my casual viewings of him at Wisconsin and Notre Dame. He reminded me a little of Kirk Cousins coming out of Michigan State.
I'll say this about Coan, while I agree he didnt show a ton of athleticism at ND last year, I wonder if there's still some potential there. The kid was a D1 recruit as a Lax player so I have to believe he's got better wheels than we saw. Plus, he was coming off of a foot injury that cost him the 2020 season. Kelly ran a pretty complex system and really put a lot on his QB, I think the adjustment from Wisco was a pretty big leap and I was impressed how ready to go the kid was despite being out of the game a year and then only having a spring to learn the ND way.
Overall despite being an ND homer, I'm kinda ambivalent with my thoughts on his prospects. He was thisclose to losing the starting gig and had Tyler Buchner not thrown a terrible pick 6 against V-Tech, his story mighta ended there

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll say this about Coan, while I agree he didnt show a ton of athleticism at ND last year, I wonder if there's still some potential there. The kid was a D1 recruit as a Lax player so I have to believe he's got better wheels than we saw. Plus, he was coming off of a foot injury that cost him the 2020 season. Kelly ran a pretty complex system and really put a lot on his QB, I think the adjustment from Wisco was a pretty big leap and I was impressed how ready to go the kid was despite being out of the game a year and then only having a spring to learn the ND way.
Overall despite being an ND homer, I'm kinda ambivalent with my thoughts on his prospects. He was thisclose to losing the starting gig and had Tyler Buchner not thrown a terrible pick 6 against V-Tech, his story mighta ended there
True. But he did rebound after that Cincy performance and had a really good second half of the year (stats over the final 8 games are below), which is something I consider significant for a guy who was a transfer and dealing with a new scheme/supporting cast. I'm not selling him as a future star, though. The odds of him becoming Kirk Cousins aren't good. But Brian Hoyer seems a realistic comparison.
162/236
68.6%
2050 passing yards
8.7 YPA
16 passing TDs
4 Ints
111.0 NFL Passer Rating
160.6 NCAA Passer Rating

In any case, I think we just need a backup QB who can execute the scheme and protect the ball. Coan seems like an ideal fit for that. If he develops into something more, I won't be complaining.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I'm thinking our needs are ILB / FS, which happens to fit our draft status. ILB's are typically taken after the 3rd round or so, but we should find whatever value we can for ILB there. FS too.
But, I won't say more for a couple more weeks... 8-D

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm thinking our needs are ILB / FS, which happens to fit our draft status. ILB's are typically taken after the 3rd round or so, but we should find whatever value we can for ILB there. FS too.
But, I won't say more for a couple more weeks... 8-D
Why ilb? They have Jones and Howard. They really only need depth, like Reeder.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Like to be able to find a player that can return both punts & kickoffs.

What do you guys think of the following as late round prospests?

1. Velus Jones, Jr, Tennessee
  2. Britain Covey, Utah
Both WR's, Jones bigger then Covey, but both have abilities to return punts and have been extremely good. Covey seems like a McVay type of player.
I watched highlights of both recently and was really impressed with Covey. For his smaller size, he really gets alot of YAC