My Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Not going to go into a full depth analysis on this, as we all watched or read about the game

The Good:

Bradford: Looked extremely sharp and was as accurate as could be. went 5/8 on his passes but would have been 8/8 if not for the drops by our wr's. Hit Givens for a nice bomb and then again for the TD in the back of the endzone. Only thing remotely bad i can say about Sam was that i wish he had thrown the bomb to Givens a little deeper so Givens wouldnt of had to slow down for it and eventually get taken down. If he throws it a couple yards further it woulda been a TD. Thats just nitpicking though.

Givens: Givens showed off his speed and his deep threat ability like last year, but also showed he is ready to be more than a deep threat with his TD in the back of the end zone. #1 wr easily, and probably a 1000 yard receiver if anyone gets it.

Richardson/Stacy/Cunningham: All 3 played good, especially Richardson and Stacy. Would not be surprised if Richardson get the bulk of the carries on 1st and 2nd and Stacy gets some 3rd's/short yardage/goaline carries with a few early down runs thrown in. Cunningham looks like a possible #3 after last night, but still need to see more Ganaway and Pead.

Quick: He looked good, shown progress for sure, which is all i wanted to see out of him. Im not expecting him to breakout this year, but i am expecting him to improve vastly from last year, and so far he has done that.

Bailey: This guy is a baller. I think he stole the Stickum for himself and thats why everyone was dropping passes so much. Could possibly become our #2 by opener or during the season if he continues as he did this first game. Could have a season as good stat wise as Givens did last year if he keeps progressing.

Jake Long: Did what we were hoping he would do though only a small sample size.

Finnegan: Played pretty good, prevented a td so he makes the list.

Radway: Had a nice TD run following a short looper from Clemon's. Showed off his speed. Overall played good except for missing one catch.

Greg the Leg: nailed a 54 and 55 yarder with ease. Made the Browns kicker look like a scrub.

The Bad

The Defense: I know they were playing ultra vanilla, but still, they looked like they weren't even trying 10%

Ogletree: From the get go he didnt look good. Did show some speed on some plays but like most of the defense, just didnt look like much effort was involved.

Austin/Clemons: If they keep this up, backup qb will be a high priority in the offseason.

The backup O-line: Didn't like what i saw from them, pocket collapsing, holes almost non existant for rb's.

Austin: yes i know its his first game and only had one pass his way and it was a drop, but i was hoping to see some of his moves, even if on one play. We all wanted to see Austin. This isnt really saying he played bad or anything for dropping one pass, but we were all hoping for more is all. He will bounce back and i dont think this game will hurt him or anyof our expectations of him. JUST WANTED TO SEE AUSTIN SCHOOL THE BROWNS!!!

The Ugly:

Pead: fumble, akward kick return stop, looking like a udfa from a div.III school. If he keeps this up i would not be surprised if he got even less snaps then last year barring injuries to the other rb's.

Pettis: Camp warrior it seems. Was hoping for much more from him after all the chatter from camp, but doesnt seem like it will happen. He might make the occasional good catch on 3rd down, but that seems to be his limit. At this point i'd rate him as our #5 wr, with Austin, Quick, Bailey and Givens ahead of him.

Saffold: Come on man!!! two plays in and you fold like kite in a hurricane!!! Unless Saffold is a beast all during the regular and stays healthy the hole time, i do not see him being back with the Rams.

Kosar: What a drunkin mess. Totoal dick about everything dealing with the Rams and nothing but praise and love for the Rams while personally attacking Clemons over and over. I rather listen to a 2 year old cry while trying to call the game than that a$$hole.

The dropped passes: Those have got to, if those continue into the regular season we are going to have a lot of 3 and outs.

Im sure there is much more that i could write if my feed hadnt been garbage on and off during the entire game but oh well. Didnt get a look at cody davis though heard he played good, and RayRay was on and off.

If someone can tell me how all the safeties did i would be much abliged.

Comment on where im wrong or right on these or add your own.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Those are pretty astute observations. I think we'll have a different opinion on a lot of these guys next week when we host Green Bay though. That's the thing about preseason (as we all know). One week they're brilliant, and the next they're stagnant. I'm kinda waiting to see what happens in the third and fourth weeks to make any kind of definitive statement about any of these guys.

I do share some of your *concerns*, however.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Those are pretty astute observations. I think we'll have a different opinion on a lot of these guys next week when we host Green Bay though. That's the thing about preseason (as we all know). One week they're brilliant, and the next they're stagnant. I'm kinda waiting to see what happens in the third and fourth weeks to make any kind of definitive statement about any of these guys.

I do share some of your *concerns*, however.

Yea, i understand it is preseason, and what i look for during preseason isn't huge splashy plays or anything, just them playing fundamental football and not making big mistakes, those are never part of the game plan lol. Hopefully lots of them can come back and show it was rust/a fluke/etc. I agree on the 3rd and 4th weeks, the first two are kinda painful to watch lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, it was definitely frustrating at times. It's kinda difficult to watch a dress rehearsal like that and not imagine it being a real game. Nobody wants to see their defense get rolled or their offense sputter in any capacity. And like I said, I share some of your concerns. I'm not 100% convinced that Pead is gonna "get it." Offensive line depth is always a concern, and it was like deja vu all over again with Saffold. And it woulda been nice to see more penetration by the D-line when they were rushing 4.

bskrilla

Starter
I agree with most except for the RB observations.

Richardson was clearly the best, which is expected because he has the NFL experience.

Where I disagree is that I actually thought Pead looked better than Stacy apart from the fumble. Obviously the fumble is a big thing, but that was a good play by the defender. Pead's pass-blocking was good bordering on very good last night.

Cunningham looked better than Pead or Stacy, but he was running against scrubs so it's hard to tell.

Totally with you on Austin. I was so excited to see him and then.... nothing. Not worried about it though. I think I've just watched his WV highlights a few too many times, and I'm getting antsy to see him do it in the horns.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
bskrilla said:
I agree with most except for the RB observations.

Richardson was clearly the best, which is expected because he has the NFL experience.

Where I disagree is that I actually thought Pead looked better than Stacy apart from the fumble. Obviously the fumble is a big thing, but that was a good play by the defender. Pead's pass-blocking was good bordering on very good last night.

Cunningham looked better than Pead or Stacy, but he was running against scrubs so it's hard to tell.

Totally with you on Austin. I was so excited to see him and then.... nothing. Not worried about it though. I think I've just watched his WV highlights a few too many times, and I'm getting antsy to see him do it in the horns.

I can live with that, as i said missed much of the game sue to the bad feed, and missed a lot of the plays with Pead in them so i will take your word for it on him. Hope to see him play well next week and see some Austin finally lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tron said:
as i said missed much of the game sue to the bad feed, and missed a lot of the plays with Pead in them so i will take your word for it on him
That was annoying for me as well. I paid for the preseason package, and it kept freezing and jumping ahead for no apparent reason. I checked my internet speed at the time and it was way up there, so it had nothing to do with my computer or connection.

bskrilla

Starter
Watch the play at 14:14 in the second quarter. That's the one that stood out to me.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
X said:
Tron said:
as i said missed much of the game sue to the bad feed, and missed a lot of the plays with Pead in them so i will take your word for it on him
That was annoying for me as well. I paid for the preseason package, and it kept freezing and jumping ahead for no apparent reason. I checked my internet speed at the time and it was way up there, so it had nothing to do with my computer or connection.

Yea, seemed like game pass was messing with lots of people. I'd have full yellow bars and would still skip around, then jump down to one bar and buffer forever. Hope they fix it.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
bskrilla said:
Watch the play at 14:14 in the second quarter. That's the one that stood out to me.
Ill watch it tomorrow and see, thanks for pointing out the time for the play, really want to see it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tron said:
X said:
Tron said:

Yea, seemed like game pass was messing with lots of people. I'd have full yellow bars and would still skip around, then jump down to one bar and buffer forever. Hope they fix it.
I might have to use my keen negotiating skills and have the NFL prorate my purchase of NFL Game Rewind because of the poor quality of the preseason package. I got Sunday Ticket for free for a couple of years, so I might be able to pull that off. Of course they could always tell me to go screw too. So we'll see.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
X said:
Tron said:
X said:
Tron said:

I might have to use my keen negotiating skills and have the NFL prorate my purchase of NFL Game Rewind because of the poor quality of the preseason package. I got Sunday Ticket for free for a couple of years, so I might be able to pull that off. Of course they could always tell me to go screw too. So we'll see.
Lol gl with that, let us know the results.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tron said:
bskrilla said:
Ill watch it tomorrow and see, thanks for pointing out the time for the play, really want to see it.
Already posted it. Watch Pead in the backfield when the play starts.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84rGbxN-HBs[/youtube]

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
X said:
Tron said:
bskrilla said:
Already posted it. Watch Pead in the backfield when the play starts.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84rGbxN-HBs[/youtube]
That was a good pick up. That's for sure, missed that when watched it earlier, was only watching Pettit and his non catch.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Just my humble opinion regarding our RB situation. Obviously hard to be fair since they all played against different competition.
But my only real issue with Richardson is if he doesn't have a hole he isn't going to get you the tough yards. Once he get's hit, more times than not he's going down. Pead-He is a little frustrating. If he can get his head right I think he is the best option. The fumble, the almost came out of the endzone-Yeah, again, mental on that one. But I think he can fight for the extra yard or two that Richardson just isn't big or strong enough to get.

Stacy-Need to see more, only issue is I think he's just too slow in the NFL.
Cunningham is my wildcard. I think he has the best combination of size and speed and can break tackles. Would LOVE to see him with the 1's..If only we could morph them all into 1 :)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i thought pead ran ok. yeah, the fumble was bad but he came back with a tough 5 yeard yard run between the tackles and a nice 10 yard burst afterthe break.

the kick off returns are a non issue because he is not a good returner. he looks very slow on them, strange as he is a very quick runner. i doubt the rams will use him as one.

apparently cunningham looked quite good as a returner. i didn't see myself as i didn't watch the last qtr.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Solid takes Tron. I would add C.Harkey to the list of "good" last night too. His blocking was solid vs the Browns #1's.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
bwdenverram said:
Just my humble opinion regarding our RB situation. Obviously hard to be fair since they all played against different competition.
But my only real issue with Richardson is if he doesn't have a hole he isn't going to get you the tough yards. Once he get's hit, more times than not he's going down. Pead-He is a little frustrating. If he can get his head right I think he is the best option. The fumble, the almost came out of the endzone-Yeah, again, mental on that one. But I think he can fight for the extra yard or two that Richardson just isn't big or strong enough to get.

Stacy-Need to see more, only issue is I think he's just too slow in the NFL.
Cunningham is my wildcard. I think he has the best combination of size and speed and can break tackles. Would LOVE to see him with the 1's..If only we could morph them all into 1 :)

The thing about the KO return was NOT on Pead as much as it was on Reynolds telling him to stay in the EndZone. The coaching staff instructs the return guys to bring everything out, so when Pead caught the ball, he had his mind made up to bring it out. And then he sees his "up" back gesturing and telling him to STAY, IMO, that's where the indecisiveness came from.

I am not trying to discount the fumble, but suffice to say, if he doesn't have that on his FIRST CARRY, I think the "reviews" on Pead's game is vastly different today.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
The thing about the KO return was NOT on Pead as much as it was on Reynolds telling him to stay in the EndZone. The coaching staff instructs the return guys to bring everything out, so when Pead caught the ball, he had his mind made up to bring it out. And then he sees his "up" back gesturing and telling him to STAY, IMO, that's where the indecisiveness came from.
Yeah, that's what I saw as well.
You have to wonder if Reynolds was instructed to do that, or if he took it upon himself to make a judgement call.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Tron said:
The same bull happened to me, but it got better when I paused for a couple of minutes, then let it play.