My Draft Evaluation & Grades

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
If you guys did not already know I am enrolled in the Scouting Academy and have been learning so much about the business of scouting and evaluating players. Throughout my draft scouting process, I will drop my grades and evaluations below on this thread. Just want to share my work with you guys. The first one I did with the brand new grading scale and format I learned was D.J. Chark. Check it out below:

Player: DJ Chark
College: LSU
Jersey Number: 7 & 82
Height: 6025
Weight: 196
—————————————
Film Watched: (2017) Notre Dame, (2017) Auburn, (2016) Miss. St
—————————————
Athletic Ability: 6/7
Mental Processing: 6/7
Competitive Toughness: 6/7
Play Speed: 6/7
Play Strength: 6/7
Hands 5/7
Separation Quickness 5/7
Release 5/7
Adjustment/Body Control: 6/7
Yards after Catch: 5/7

Grade: 56/70
Draft projection: Rounds 2 - 3
Player comparison: Robby Anderson, New York Jets

Elite level Starter possible future HOF: 70 - 65
Pro Bowl Caliber Starter: 64 - 60
Above average Starter: 59 - 55
Average Starter: 54 - 50
Below average Starter: 49 - 45
Situational Role Player: 44 - 40
Not NFL Level: 39 - 1

Summary:
A one-year starter who was buried behind Malachi Dupre and Travin Dural. Played in 25 games throughout his career in which he accumulated 66 receptions, 1,351 yards receiving and six touchdowns. Has great height for the position but his frame is a little lanky. He is a tad slower off of the line of scrimmage but when he gets going he can really hit another gear. He is quick in and out of his breaks but will tend to round off routes which hurt his ability to separate from defenders. His lack of a route tree limits where he might fit at the next level but he displays good hands, excellent body control and catch adjustment to play on the outside. He shows not only the desire to block but rather finish his assignment. His ability to run after the catch and move in space will allow him to transition to the game quicker depending on how he is used at the next level. He’s already used to making the tough sideline catch and having the awareness and control to get both feet in bounds. He often times had to survive through contact in which he showed he was able to finish the play. Overall, this Is a receiver that has an obvious fit on the outside with his ability to release, fight through contact and his size that will allow him to body up with almost any cornerback at the next level. He is more likely to become a better pro than he was a college player and will fit well as a starter that can stretch the field and go up for the deep ball.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If you guys did not already know I am enrolled in the Scouting Academy and have been learning so much about the business of scouting and evaluating players.
Congrats youngsta!

I kept wondering why this guy was at the senior bowl...he seemed to have too much talent to be out there risking a lot. Curious, what do you think he'll run at the combine? What do you think he'll weigh?

Oh yeah, you know we need corners...use all that fancy-schmancy schooling on those db's. LOL

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Congrats youngsta!

I kept wondering why this guy was at the senior bowl...he seemed to have too much talent to be out there risking a lot. Curious, what do you think he'll run at the combine? What do you think he'll weigh?

Oh yeah, you know we need corners...use all that fancy-schmancy schooling on those db's. LOL
Haha I will as soon as I learn the proper method to grading the DBs. As far as Chark goes, I see a guy that will end up running a 4.48. I actually spent 15 minutes hanging out with him after the game. He's a real nice guy, very happy go lucky attitude. I think he's going to be good.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Player: Darren Carrington II
College: Utah (dismissed from Oregon)
Jersey Number: 7 & 9
Height: 6006
Weight: 205
—————————————
Film Watched: San Jose St. (2017), Washington (2017), BYU (2017)
—————————————
Athletic Ability: 6/7
Mental Processing: 4/7
Competitive Toughness: 6/7
Play Speed: 6/7
Play Strength: 4/7
Hands 5/7
Separation Quickness 6/7
Release 4/7
Adjustment/Body Control: 6/7
Yards after Catch: 5/7

Grade: 52/70
Draft projection: Rounds 4 - 5
Player comparison: Tyler Boyd

Elite level Starter possible future HOF: 70 - 65
Pro Bowl Caliber Starter: 64 - 60
Above average Starter: 59 - 55
Average Starter: 54 - 50
Below average Starter: 49 - 45
Situational Role Player: 44 - 40
Not NFL Level: 39 - 1

Summary:
A 4-year starter who was dismissed from Oregon’s football program due to a DUI arrest. Transferred to Utah and instantly made an impact for the Utes. He has ideal size for the position to play on the outside and given his versatility he could play in the slot as well. He is a little hesitant off of the line of scrimmage and doesn’t have the route running ability or the craftiness to make up for his lack of get off. He shows the ability to win on outside releases and when he has to, he’s able to re-route himself by reading the defense and reacting during the play. He does not have a large repertoire of route combinations so that is something that will need to be developed over time at the next level. His natural hands will go a long way, however, and he suffered from poor QB accuracy and has gotten used to having to adjust for balls thrown out of his radius. The suddenness he possesses will throw off defenders, especially after his hesitation step he uses often when releasing. Always seems to have a keen awareness of where he has to go and where the first-down markers are. His great body control and ability to win when contested makes him a third-down gem. He is going to likely make his money after the catch, with his ability to make a man miss and with how smooth of an athlete he is. However, ball carrying tendencies to hold the ball with one hand could be an issue in the league. Overall, this is a receiver that has the ability to play outside or inside but will need to develop as a route runner to start on the outside. He is going to need to go to a team that has a veteran star or two in front of him that can mentor him and teach him the game. Still, he has the ability to be a relatively good football and a playmaker at the next level.