My crystal ball has revealed the future for some key Ram players...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
AD (and his pos agent) will come to their senses and sign a lucrative 5 year contract extension through 2023. It will be in the neighborhood of $110 million for the last 5 years with heavy guarantees of, say, $70 million+. All of Ramdom will rejoice for a few months before we start to fret about the futures of Gurley and then Goff. These extensions are gonna be an annual cause for concern for years, I’m afraid. The result of building a loaded roster via draft, FA, and Trade. (The good news is that our FO and coaching staff now appear to have the talent to maintain or even rebuild a loaded roster, if necessary).

Joyner must accept a reasonable extension offer or he’ll be a goner in ‘19. Somewhere in the $8 million range? Snead will need to save some cap dollars and has demonstrated great ability to find outstanding secondary players. I don’t expect to see Joyner buy a new house in LA just yet.

Brandin Cooks is gonna be extended before opening day. Won’t be cheap, either. He’ll probably get Watkins type money, but he’ll be worth it. He and Goff will be a feared duo for the next 6 years. Their chemistry is already on display in OTA’s and McVay loves them both. The Cooks extension is my “bank it”.

Suh is a one year rental, I think. Not that I don’t expect a helluva year from him, because I do. But the cap ceiling dictates that the Rams simply can’t keep everyone and there are other long term players that must be provided for just around the corner so he becomes a cap casualty. Let’s enjoy Suh while we can. I think it’s gonna be a helluva ride, frankly.

I suspect that the Rams may have already made some future cap saving OL moves via this last draft. It’s conceivable that the future starting replacements for Whit, Saffold, and Sully may now be on the roster. Yeah, that’s quite a statement, but Kromer is quite an OL coach and he had a big influence in the selections of Noteboom, Allen, and Demby. If I’m right, heck, even if they get 2 future OL starters from this draft, then that’s a coup, IMO. We could reasonably extend Hav and JB and be set with a young and relatively inexpensive OL for 4 more years while having tons of money for the many skill position players whose contracts are coming up.

No need to comment on Peters and Talib, is there, since both will be here through ‘19. I will predict that MP will get a 5 year extension by sometime in ‘19. He’ll be a Ram through ‘23. A wealthy one, at that.

Looking down the road...

Goff will be extended in due time and for whatever amount it takes. Franchise QB’s are retained, no matter what dollars or players it may cost.

Gurley? I dunno. The Rams would love to keep him, of course, but that cap might force a parting of the ways. I’ll be torn on this decision, no matter which way they go. But it IS a business, after all, and, as such, sometimes excruciating decisions become necessary.

So, how did my crystal ball do? Should I take it to Vegas or should I put in some new batteries? Lol.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Joyner must accept a reasonable extension offer or he’ll be a goner in ‘19. Somewhere in the $8 million range? Snead will need to save some cap dollars and has demonstrated great ability to find outstanding secondary players. I don’t expect to see Joyner buy a new house in LA just yet.

I'd wager they're trying harder to find his replacement for 2019 among these UDFA in camp than they are extending him. With all the other guys needing big money pay days some veterans will be replaced with cheaper options. Guys like him Barron and Saffold to name a few better be looking over their shoulders. If they can replace those 3 with guys on rookie deals that makes lets say Peters or Cooks extensions that much easier to fit in.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If we have to choose Gurley or AD. I’m taking Gurley. I love AD. But he is a luxury. A good back is necessity.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
If we have to choose Gurley or AD. I’m taking Gurley. I love AD. But he is a luxury. A good back is necessity.

It's a tough one, but I'd agree. Altho I would also say any scenario in which we don't lock down both for the foreseeable future is a failure.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
AD (and his pos agent)
Just doin his job 43....Capitalism at its best....Your agent SHOULD try to get fair market value...Check the salaries of the top DT's...AD deserves more.
Joyner must accept a reasonable extension offer or he’ll be a goner in ‘19. Somewhere in the $8 million range?
$3 million a year...no more..no less...a million for every int he's had in his career...
Brandin Cooks is gonna be extended before opening day. Won’t be cheap, either. He’ll probably get Watkins type money, but he’ll be worth it.
Oh lord...really?
Suh is a one year rental, I think. Not that I don’t expect a helluva year from him, because I do.
He'll probably be the best addition....dude is a monster...think Reggie White that isn't a future reverend...more like a CIA agent...
Gurley? I dunno. The Rams would love to keep him, of course, but that cap might force a parting of the ways.
Our MVP...and yall don't wanna pay him?

Truly a confusing site this ROD....and I love ya 43....

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Brandin Cooks is gonna be extended before opening day. Won’t be cheap, either. He’ll probably get Watkins type money, but he’ll be worth it. He and Goff will be a feared duo for the next 6 years. Their chemistry is already on display in OTA’s and McVay loves them both. The Cooks extension is my “bank it”.

I think he is likely signed to a big extension. I am one of those that believe the trade for him puts pressure in this direction. He is going to get more than Watkins though, first his #'s alone provide for that, second his leverage is huge as right now he can assume the tag is going to AD which means he gets to FA. Any agent is going to tell him go out there have a BIG year and you will get paid big. Worst case for him is AD signs and he gets tagged (which will be $16mil +) for one year and then gets FA. With Gurley and Peters coming up it is very unlikely they tag him a second year in a row. His agent is going to tell him he is $17mil + in FA and at his age and production it will be a 5 year deal most likely.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Brandin Cooks is gonna be extended before opening day.
I've heard the Media pushing this^ scenario. And if it happens, it better be after they sign Donald to his New Contract, or Talks will be over! JMO!!

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

Good backs are a necessity but good Olines makes average backs look great. RBs are also a lot easier to find than hall of fame DTs. And Donald could possibly be in the conversation of GOAT.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I'd wager they're trying harder to find his replacement for 2019 among these UDFA in camp than they are extending him. With all the other guys needing big money pay days some veterans will be replaced with cheaper options. Guys like him Barron and Saffold to name a few better be looking over their shoulders. If they can replace those 3 with guys on rookie deals that makes lets say Peters or Cooks extensions that much easier to fit in.
Safeties did not do well on the free agent market this year; Joyner made out well signing his tag. Eric Reed and Tyvon Branch are still looking for a team. If Joyner does not sign and the market for safeties stays flat, he could be replaced with a FA as well.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just doin his job 43....Capitalism at its best....Your agent SHOULD try to get fair market value...Check the salaries of the top DT's...AD deserves more.

$3 million a year...no more..no less...a million for every int he's had in his career...

Oh lord...really?

He'll probably be the best addition....dude is a monster...think Reggie White that isn't a future reverend...more like a CIA agent...

Our MVP...and yall don't wanna pay him?

Truly a confusing site this ROD....and I love ya 43....

I love you, too, Champ!

You always come with strong opinions. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don’t.

1) Joyner is gonna get more than $3 million, trust me.
2) Cooks will be extended. I stand by that.
3) You May be right about Suh, but the economics won’t permit extending him, IMO.
4) I absolutely love Gurley, but that doesn’t change the fact that he could become a cap casualty.

Carry on, my friend. Your membership in the Cooks Fan Club is now in the mail, btw.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Carry on, my friend. Your membership in the Cooks Fan Club is now in the mail, btw.
Liked him since Oregon St....had me fooled on Mannion.....ahahhahahah....and if he keeps getting all swole....that LA for buff, I'm in on that stuff too....I wonder could he convince a couple others in horns to join his personal gym????l

Maybe we could pay Suh/Gurley if we stop tripping with Joyner?

Have you seen the FA safety market? Some real studs not signed as of today....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Liked him since Oregon St....had me fooled on Mannion.....ahahhahahah....and if he keeps getting all swole....that LA for buff, I'm in on that stuff too....I wonder could he convince a couple others in horns to join his personal gym????l

Maybe we could pay Suh/Gurley if we stop tripping with Joyner?

Have you seen the FA safety market? Some real studs not signed as of today....

Yeah, as I said, Joyner is gonna have to accept a reasonable number for ‘19 and beyond or he’s a goner.

Just too many other and more difficult to replace studs to extend coming up.

Very nice problem for the Rams to have though, huh?

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Can't see it going like that.

Havs extended cheaply? No way. At least not if the Rams offense has another great season. He was the 2nd highest rated run blocker for all tackles last season. If he has a similar season, he could end up signing as the highest paid RT. I think he's gone after this season. The Rams did the right thing in making a tackle such a priority, and I think they will probably need to draft another next year.

Joyner is probably gone too. Once a guy is franchised, it's hard to re-sign him for much less. That's why they end up walking. I think it's gonna be hard (expensive) to re-sign Joyner.

Why would the Rams sign ANY WR to Watkins $$? This is not the kind of offense that requires a dominant #1. If Cooks is extended for that kind of $$, then it's a mistake.

Having said all that, it's really difficult to predict future contracts when they still haven't dealt with Donald.

Ram65

Legend
As I said earlier I wish I had a crystal ball. All I can do is guess. That's not easy to do with all the free agents and limited cap dollars to make it work out. It's frustrating that it's impossible to keep everyone. The details of contracts will matter as Demoff likes to rotate big cap hit years which spreads the cap hits out more evenly. I wish there was a salary cap program we could play around with inserting future signing bonus numbers, salaries each year like spotrac/overthecap. When and how much they give Donald should be telling on the rest of the deals.

AD (and his pos agent) will come to their senses and sign a lucrative 5 year contract extension through 2023. It will be in the neighborhood of $110 million for the last 5 years with heavy guarantees of, say, $70 million+.

This seems reasonable. We just haven't gotten any indication what both parties ballpark numbers are. Rams can't go much higher and keep Goff and others happy too.

Joyner must accept a reasonable extension offer or he’ll be a goner in ‘19. Somewhere in the $8 million range?

Joyner is a goner. Even with a seemly flat safety market some team will pay him. Joyner is great but, undersized so injuries are a concern. The main problem is the Rams can't afford to pay him what other teams will. Rams can draft one or promote one at a much cheaper price tag.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/eric-berry-6514/
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/reshad-jones-6969/

Watkins got a three year deal. Interesting that he will count 19.2 and 21 Million in years two and three of his contract. That's a lot of money against the cap. Will the Rams have to settle for a two year extension to this years contract. At 25 Cooks could get another big contract after three years. I would take a good three years with Cooks but, of course would want more.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/sammy-watkins-14413/

If I’m right, heck, even if they get 2 future OL starters from this draft, then that’s a coup, IMO. We could reasonably extend Hav and JB and be set with a young and relatively inexpensive OL for 4 more years while having tons of money for the many skill position players whose contracts are coming up.

I thought that before the free agency madness. The Rams may have a shot at extending JB. I have no idea where he slots in. Here are the 2018 signings. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/guard/

Hav is gone.

No need to comment on Peters and Talib, is there, since both will be here through ‘19. I will predict that MP will get a 5 year extension by sometime in ‘19. He’ll be a Ram through ‘23. A wealthy one, at that.

Would be nice to get Peter's extended but have serious doubts after his AD contract comments.

Goff will be extended in due time and for whatever amount it takes. Franchise QB’s are retained, no matter what dollars or players it may cost.

Yes

Gurley? I dunno. The Rams would love to keep him, of course, but that cap might force a parting of the ways. I’ll be torn on this decision, no matter which way they go. But it IS a business, after all, and, as such, sometimes excruciating decisions become necessary.

It's a tough one. I say resign him at 8 Million a year for 5 years and guarantee 30 Million. Risky but, Rams should get a good 3-4 years full time duty from him.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
AD (and his pos agent) will come to their senses and sign a lucrative 5 year contract extension through 2023. It will be in the neighborhood of $110 million for the last 5 years with heavy guarantees of, say, $70 million+. All of Ramdom will rejoice for a few months before we start to fret about the futures of Gurley and then Goff. These extensions are gonna be an annual cause for concern for years, I’m afraid. The result of building a loaded roster via draft, FA, and Trade. (The good news is that our FO and coaching staff now appear to have the talent to maintain or even rebuild a loaded roster, if necessary).

Anyone hoping to see Donald sign is more likely to be disappointed than happy. His agent is going to take him to the open market. The Rams may end up with him, but they will overpay. I'm not sure that's a good idea. If they can keep him without losing an important piece that's fine.

I've said this many times..........they need to keep the backfield intact.

100%!!!

Yeah he is doing his job, he's a dickhead but he only has loyalty to his client. So he wants to get the biggest contract and commission check. If I was Donalds agent I wouldn't advise him to sign anything right now.