MR:2015 Rams Mock Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To continue this thought, the last few weeks, I've watched these zone read runs that NFL DCs have supposedly figured out still working. And that's whether the QBs take off running or just the threat of such keeping defenders honest enough to make it easier for RBs to have success.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I have my doubts about whether the Auburn offense would work in the NFL - but I agree that a major shakeup is warranted.

I'd still like to have a QB who can spin it - uncertainty is a valuable tool on offense. Finding that guy is easier said than done though.

If you are going to go with guys who can't - glorified RBs who wear jersey numbers in the teens - then you may as well just go with a wildcat hybrid and get an extra blocker out there.

Now if we had Cam Newton .....

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I have major issues with Scherff. I've seen him get abused at times this year as pass blocker. If I were going OG, I'd rather trade down.

Watch the Maryland game if you have time. Scherff got absolutely embarrassed in that game...especially by the bullrush.

It really made me question him...even as an OG.

Are you sure you have the right game? Scherff was pretty good against Maryland. He got a little of everything in that game. The speed of Ngakoue and the power of Andre Moore and did a great job against both. Ngakoue beat him once for a sack I believe on 50 plus passes that game. You may be thinking about the game that Darius Kilgo had as he was a force and he pretty much manhandled Austin Blythe who was playing guard that game. Scherff was pretty damn good that game.

Big picture I agree with you. I like Clemmings probably ahead of Scherff, but I keep going back and forth on that, I just think long term Clemmings is probably the better player.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
COACHING STAFF CHANGES

OUT: OC Brian Schottenhiemer

Schottenhiemer did some good things with the talent on hand, but in order to take this team to the next level, the Rams need to make a some changes.

IN: OC Rhett Lashlee (Auburn)

Time for this team to focus more on running the football and who better than to Gus Malzahn’s right hand man to implement the change.

This change may lead to other changes on the offensive coaching staff that the organization should be able to figure out to implement the new offense.

VETERAN PERSONNEL MOVES

OUT (via free agency, outright release, or trade): Davin Joseph, Shaun Hill, Alex Carrington, Austin Davis, Isaiah Pead, Scott Wells, Jake Long, & YES Sam Bradford.

This is the part of my plan that most will scoff at and probably stop reading and believe me, I understand. :D I really like Sam Bradford. I really believe that he has the talent to be an effective NFL QB. And if he can stay healthy, he will probably go on to have a decent career.

BUT:
- At his best, I don’t believe that he is a difference maker.
- And while I’ve fought the good fight, I really have little to no confidence in him staying healthy. Availability is a HUGE part of being THE GUY at the position in a traditional offense which requires a pocket passer and he will have missed 31 of the team’s last 80 games.
- Finally, the new offense would probably get him killed if it's run to it’s max capabilities.

Note: Most have Kendall Langford listed as on the way out, but I’d try to extend him at a cheaper salary cap rate and keep the Beast DLine strong.

IN:
Re-Signings: Kenny Britt, Lance Kendricks, Joe Barksdale, Corey Harkey

I believe that each of these guys will be great in the new offense and that none of them have really done that much to have any other team break the bank for their services.

Big Time Free Agent Additions: No One

Overall, these haven’t really panned out too well. In fact, has one even come close to living up to his contract? Sure the Rams should try to find some bargains, but unless someone like Darrelle Revis could be had to lock down the opposing team’s best WR and make this defense REALLY dominant, the focus of this off-season should be on re-signing the players listed above and extending some of the soon to be 2016 free agents like Michael Brockers, Mark Barron, Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, and maybe even the earlier mentioned Kendall Langford.

Lesser Known Free Agent Additions: QB Tyrelle Pryor (Street), QB Tyrod Taylor (UFA Ravens)

In the new offense, QBs now have to contribute to the running game. These names wouldn’t excite anyone not familiar with the new offensive scheme, but said scheme allows the Rams the opportunity to take advantage of the glut of talented available QBs who don’t fit the typical and traditional drop back, pocket passer model non-creative OCs of NFL teams prefer. I’m throwing these names out because they were the first two that came to mind, but it would be up to Lashlee to determine who can best run his offense. And I believe that he can do it as he taught Nick Marshall (an incoming junior college transfer who played CB as a freshman at Georiga) the offense without the benefit of spring practices. Yes, he learned it that Fall and was in the National Championship Game.

With the loss, I‘m now guessing that the Rams will be selecting somewhere between 10-16. And ideally, the goal would be for the team to trade down and acquire more picks. But, for the sake of this mock draft there are no trades listed.

Round 1) Brandon Scherff, OL, Iowa
Brandon-Scherff.jpg

Currently playing OT, but has the potential to be an All-Pro interior lineman.

Round 2) D’Haquille “Duke” Williams, WR, Auburn
15773015-mmmain.jpg

Reminds me of a slightly faster Anquan Boldin. And he knows the offense.

Round 3) Reese Dismukes, C, Auburn
9360533.jpeg

Some say he’s the best run blocking center in the draft. And he knows the offense.

4) Traded to Tampa Bay for Mark Barron

Round 5) Nick Marshall, QB, Auburn
ncf_g_nick-marshall_mb_600.jpg

Rocket Arm. 4.40/40 speed. Elusive. If this were 2001, he’d be Michael Vick.
And Yes. Again……He knows the offense

6) Traded to Tampa Bay for Mark Barron[/b]

7) Traded to Alanta to complete Olgetree trade down

Round 7) Blake Sims, QB, Alabama
blake-sims.jpg

Smart one year starter with similar measurables and skills to Marshall to compete

Undrafted Free Agency:

Rams should be able to have their pick of Auburn Seniors, like speedy RB Corey Grant, quick wideout Quan Bray, TE/H-Back Brandon Fulse, etc…

None of this will probably even come close to happening, because it takes some guts to pull off. But, this was a fun exercise and I really believe could take this team to the next level.

I like what you did on the offensive line and I like Williams. I also like the out of the box thinking on the offense but have issues with the QB's competing for a job(there just not that good). Feels like this approach is a step backwards. Our defense is championship level and if this offense even takes a small step backwards. I am not opposed to moving on from Bradford but I think keeping Bradford with the picks you have makes more sense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are you sure you have the right game? Scherff was pretty good against Maryland. He got a little of everything in that game. The speed of Ngakoue and the power of Andre Moore and did a great job against both. Ngakoue beat him once for a sack I believe on 50 plus passes that game. You may be thinking about the game that Darius Kilgo had as he was a force and he pretty much manhandled Austin Blythe who was playing guard that game. Scherff was pretty damn good that game.

Big picture I agree with you. I like Clemmings probably ahead of Scherff, but I keep going back and forth on that, I just think long term Clemmings is probably the better player.

Boston, I respect your opinion but no, Maryland was not a good game. Any top OT would be embarrassed by that performance. I can show you Scherff getting beat at least half a dozen times in pass protection. That should not be happening for a first round OT.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Boston, I respect your opinion but no, Maryland was not a good game. Any top OT would be embarrassed by that performance. I can show you Scherff getting beat at least half a dozen times in pass protection. That should not be happening for a first round OT.

Likewise, I respect you opinion, that's why I asked if you had the right game. I just happened to have watched every offensive play (Iowa) this weekend for that game. Scherff played well, Blythe (LG) got eaten up. It s pretty fresh in my mind. I mix crap up all the time but that's because I am old lol. I haven't seen all his games but did watch the Maryland game. Who was beating Scherff in your opinion? Kilgo? Kilgo had a nice game but he was inside all game against Blythe.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Watching the clips from my phone but there a couple where he does his job, seems like your expecting more than that is needed. There is also a play which he is taking his man outside just fine but Blythe gets beat inside and there is no pocket, QB slides left right into the block. Not Scherff's fault.

I can find plays where an olineman gets caught off guard, that happens but if it only happens 6 times a year that's ok. There is also 45 plays where he does his job extremely well and there are some plays on your list in which I think he did his job just fine. When I have a computer I will highlight them.

We may just have a difference of opinion here which is fine. Like I said, I thought he had a pretty good game and we watched the same video. We may just have different expectations.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I like what you did on the offensive line and I like Williams. I also like the out of the box thinking on the offense but have issues with the QB's competing for a job(there just not that good). Feels like this approach is a step backwards. Our defense is championship level and if this offense even takes a small step backwards. I am not opposed to moving on from Bradford but I think keeping Bradford with the picks you have makes more sense.

Actually, I believe that it's a step forward due to what should be the production of a top rushing attack that could average over 5 yards per carry like Seattle who is currently averaging an unheard of 5.4 ypc. That type of attack mixed in with easier to complete play action passes and QB capable of delivering the long ball to help keep defenders honest would be a significant upgrade, IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watching the clips from my phone but there a couple where he does his job, seems like your expecting more than that is needed. There is also a play which he is taking his man outside just fine but Blythe gets beat inside and there is no pocket, QB slides left right into the block. Not Scherff's fault.

I can find plays where an olineman gets caught off guard, that happens but if it only happens 6 times a year that's ok. There is also 45 plays where he does his job extremely well and there are some plays on your list in which I think he did his job just fine. When I have a computer I will highlight them.

We may just have a difference of opinion here which is fine. Like I said, I thought he had a pretty good game and we watched the same video. We may just have different expectations.

I don't consider getting bullrushed into the QB at the college level doing your job. These guys aren't the caliber of what he'll face in the NFL. I expect dominance when we're talking about guys getting drafted in that range. I don't expect a guy getting pushed around and allowing his QB to get hit 4-6 times against competition that wasn't elite.

And this is not the only game where those sort of things were happening. This was by far the worst game but there are other games where he was giving up far too much ground on bullrushes and getting beat too often for my comfort.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Ok, some disagreements but that's what makes this fun.
Clip 1: He has outside responsibility, Blythe blocks air and Scherff tries fill.
Clip 2: Held his man for 5 seconds -- did his job.
Clip 3: Held his man for 3-4 seconds, got bullrushed but did his job.
Clip 4: Good Play, took his man and rode him outside, exactly what you want him to do.
Clip 5: Got caught stiff bad play
Clip 6: Flat footed got caught, bad play
Clip 7: Not perfect, but did his job.
Clip 8: Bad play all around. Center pass his man to Blythe who has do the same and man breaks free.
Clip 9: Ok play. QB, could step up but doesn't.
Clip 10: Agree with you.
Clip 11: Bad play.

Overall there a few things to consider. In this game I think he got tired. His play broke down some late in the fourth quarter. Iowa was throwing the ball all day. I think he got tired. Also he was uncovered the whole game, therefore his responsibility is outside. When he gets beat (not just this game) its typically inside. The guard play is horrible next to him and if there was a decent guard his tape would look a lot better. Scherff is not getting any help. Maryland was rushing 3 and 4 and the pressure most of the day was coming inside. Scherff is being asked to protect outside and cover inside because Blythe stinks. You also have a QB who has little pocket presence and takes a long time to get rid of the ball. Im looking at the whole body of work, I am only judging him on his responsibilities. Put some talent around him and his tape looks a lot better.

I think I understand when you say you want to see domination, I believe there is 70 plays on this tape, there is a lot of him dominating. He was excellent in the run game and his ability to get to the 2nd level and get a hat on someone is very impressive.

His weakness is when he lets a player get into his body, he will get bullrushed when that happens. But for 50 passing plays it only happened a few times. These prospects are not perfect and I can find clips on anyone looking bad or getting bullrushed.

I think in the grand scheme of things our evaluation is somewhat similar. He is not an elite prospect but I do think he is a good one. I personally think he could be a very good guard and could play RT if needed. I think he could give you what Barksdale gives you at RT.

What I do disagree with you on is, I absolutely think he is a first round OT.

fearsomefour

Legend
I have major issues with Scherff. I've seen him get abused at times this year as pass blocker. If I were going OG, I'd rather trade down.

Watch the Maryland game if you have time. Scherff got absolutely embarrassed in that game...especially by the bullrush.

It really made me question him...even as an OG.
I don't like him at T, I think he could play at G. But, I also thing he goes pretty highly. If he falls to where the Rams are drafting that means others have the same concerns and you would have to consider a pass on him.

fearsomefour

Legend
A rookie OC that has not run a pro passing offense, two or three rookie lineman and a rookie QB backed up by a rookie QB?
Well, the good news is the Rams would be drafting early the next year as well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, some disagreements but that's what makes this fun.
Clip 1: He has outside responsibility, Blythe blocks air and Scherff tries fill.

Blythe seems to trying to help the Center out. With Scherff being the All American LT and all, you'd expect him to handle his man 1 on 1...but he got beat inside.

Clip 2: Held his man for 5 seconds -- did his job.

It was play-action and he didn't hold him for 5 seconds(the clip is only 4 seconds total). He came out, punched him, and then got embarrassed in space.

And it's not just about doing his job for me...these guys aren't Aldon Smith or Robert Quinn or JJ Watt.

Clip 3: Held his man for 3-4 seconds, got bullrushed but did his job.

Again, it's not about getting the job done. It's about winning. Which he did not do. His man walked him right back to the QB. If he were playing NFL competition on that play, how do you think he fares?

Clip 4: Good Play, took his man and rode him outside, exactly what you want him to do.

Disagree. The defender swatted his hands down and beat him to the corner. Scherff grabbed him and got away with a hold. Then again, it's not like NFL refs have been calling that this year.

Clip 7: Not perfect, but did his job.

His man bullrushed him deep into the back-field, disengaged, and hit his QB. That's not doing his job. Again, I'm concerned with how he'll transition to the NFL. Plays like this against competition that isn't top notch worry me.

Clip 8: Bad play all around. Center pass his man to Blythe who has do the same and man breaks free.

Scherff is still a first round OT...he should be getting beat inside. I understand assignments and schemes but the guy shouldn't be needing help to stop the inside move on this play.

Clip 9: Ok play. QB, could step up but doesn't.

Again, bullrushed into the QB. And the defender shows off what a guy with long arms can do. He gets one arm into Scherff's chest and controls him with it. Again, in the NFL, what will he do when he runs into guys like Quinn and Aldon Smith? Aldon Smith would have planted him on that play.

Overall there a few things to consider. In this game I think he got tired. His play broke down some late in the fourth quarter. Iowa was throwing the ball all day. I think he got tired. Also he was uncovered the whole game, therefore his responsibility is outside. When he gets beat (not just this game) its typically inside. The guard play is horrible next to him and if there was a decent guard his tape would look a lot better. Scherff is not getting any help. Maryland was rushing 3 and 4 and the pressure most of the day was coming inside. Scherff is being asked to protect outside and cover inside because Blythe stinks. You also have a QB who has little pocket presence and takes a long time to get rid of the ball. Im looking at the whole body of work, I am only judging him on his responsibilities. Put some talent around him and his tape looks a lot better.

Look, I'm sure the tape would look better if he had a guy to help him out when the defender broke back inside. But we're talking about a top 20 pick here at OT. I really would prefer my OT be able to handle it himself. Because we know the type of rushers he'll face in the NFL.

I think I understand when you say you want to see domination, I believe there is 70 plays on this tape, there is a lot of him dominating. He was excellent in the run game and his ability to get to the 2nd level and get a hat on someone is very impressive.

Then you understand my concern. It's not just about getting the job done well enough for me. I'm evaluating his ability to play in the NFL. I expect the guy to not just get the job done. I expect him to go out there and impose his will. I don't expect perfection but I do expect him to keep mistakes to a minimum and not continue to get beat the same way.

Yea, it really concerns me when I see the guy getting bullrushed successfully by players that aren't elite DL prospects throughout the game. Because it makes me wonder how he's going to be able to stop defenders with more strength, athleticism, size, and length. I realize he was getting the job done well enough on some of these plays. But the issue is there that this is college. We're drafting him for the NFL. So while he might have held up Monroe long enough after Monroe drove him back into his QB to keep it from affecting the pass...is he going to do the same thing with Justin Smith?

His weakness is when he lets a player get into his body, he will get bullrushed when that happens. But for 50 passing plays it only happened a few times. These prospects are not perfect and I can find clips on anyone looking bad or getting bullrushed.

IMO, he has quite a few weaknesses in pass pro but it all boils down to him not having great lateral agility while also having short arms. Because he has to compensate for his lateral agility, his balance and anchor/base are adversely effected. And when you have that happening along with his short arms, you have defenders getting into his chest and taking him for a ride.

He has some technical issues on top of that. But I sincerely question if he can hold up outside in the NFL. And if he does, I don't see it being on the blind-side.

I think in the grand scheme of things our evaluation is somewhat similar. He is not an elite prospect but I do think he is a good one. I personally think he could be a very good guard and could play RT if needed. I think he could give you what Barksdale gives you at RT.

What I do disagree with you on is, I absolutely think he is a first round OT.

I agree with you entirely on that. But it begs the question, do you think he is a first round OT or a first round OL?

Because I'm not taking him in the first round to play OT. I would take him in the first round to play OG. HOWEVER, as I pointed out earlier, when you watch a guy like A.J. Cann...is there enough of a difference in their respective level of play at OG to justify taking Scherff a full round earlier? My opinion? No.

Scherff has a power advantage but A.J.'s leverage allows him to get similar push and I think he's more flexible in pass pro which goes a long way. Both have technical refinement they need to do.

So then it comes down to the versatility argument...and my personal opinion is that Scherff isn't a good enough OT for me to make that pick.

Some might not rank A.J. as highly as I rank him and I completely understand if you go the opposite direction. Cann isn't a perfect prospect.

But...La'el Collins is a guy I'd take in the mid 1st because I do think he can play at a high level outside.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I agree with you entirely on that. But it begs the question, do you think he is a first round OT or a first round OL?

Because I'm not taking him in the first round to play OT. I would take him in the first round to play OG. HOWEVER, as I pointed out earlier, when you watch a guy like A.J. Cann...is there enough of a difference in their respective level of play at OG to justify taking Scherff a full round earlier? My opinion? No.

Scherff has a power advantage but A.J.'s leverage allows him to get similar push and I think he's more flexible in pass pro which goes a long way. Both have technical refinement they need to do.

So then it comes down to the versatility argument...and my personal opinion is that Scherff isn't a good enough OT for me to make that pick.

Some might not rank A.J. as highly as I rank him and I completely understand if you go the opposite direction. Cann isn't a perfect prospect.

But...La'el Collins is a guy I'd take in the mid 1st because I do think he can play at a high level outside.

First round OT and OL but my preference is for him to be a guard. I think he needs a year before he can play OT in the NFL. I will be honest, there is some real good value with Oline in the later rounds. Clemmings is the guy I like in the first, if he is gone, Im not married to a lineman at say 12. I would be ok with Collins at 12 but I don't believe he will be the BPA. Cann is one of my favorite lineman and would love to grab him in the 2nd but I still believe when its all said and done he will go in the first round.

If you believe Scherff can not translate to RT in the NFL, I agree with you, you don't make that pick. You draft him later and you draft him as a guard, because I do agree with your statement above in regards to Cann and Scherff.

It feels like the best case would be for us to trade back to the 20's and try and snag another pick if oline is the focus in the first.

Memphis Ram

Legend
A rookie OC that has not run a pro passing offense, two or three rookie lineman and a rookie QB backed up by a rookie QB?
Well, the good news is the Rams would be drafting early the next year as well.

A rookie OC playing in the same offense he's played in at Auburn. Another rookie run blocking OT/OG prospect who fits that offense. Also, keep in mind that the OLine responsibilities at Auburn aren't nearly as complex to learn per Greg Robinson.

And who said that the rookie QBs would be starting? That's wide open.

fearsomefour

Legend
A rookie OC playing in the same offense he's played in at Auburn. Another rookie run blocking OT/OG prospect who fits that offense. Also, keep in mind that the OLine responsibilities at Auburn aren't nearly as complex to learn per Greg Robinson.

And who said that the rookie QBs would be starting? That's wide open.
Well all three QBs were released unless I missed something.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well all three QBs were released unless I missed something.

Tyrelle Pryor was released but he's started 10 NFL games so he's not a rookie. Tyrod Taylor is a backup in Baltimore right now and is set to become a free agent.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Tyrelle Pryor was released but he's started 10 NFL games so he's not a rookie. Tyrod Taylor is a backup in Baltimore right now and it set to become a free agent.
Ok.
That all sounds like 3-13 to me, but, it would be interesting to see if it worked.