Moving on from Todd Gurley and Brandon Cooks, My 3 Draft gems

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Rams need a solid RB that can be a 1A/1B to pair with Henderson. Snead will have to decide who and when. I like AJ Dillion who can be coached up to pass block at 6'0" and 250 Lbs. in his highlights he catches and goes quick for a big guy. He reminds me of SJ39. Moss is a good choice. Rams may be able to wait longer on taking Dillion.

I like Claypool and think he may not be around after the 3rd round. He has it all.

Very late round pick is Navy QB Malcolm Perry who is transitioning to WR. He has returned KOa and could do punt returns. Undersized and not fast but, he could be a smaller jackknife type. He has some quick moves.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think that we should take a running back in the second round. I like Henderson, but I don't trust him entirely to carry the slack. My favorite back right now is Clyde Edwards-Helaire out of LSU. He doesn't have quite the wear and tear on him, and he's a great pass-catcher and willing pass-blocker.

Not a fan of A.J. Dillon. He's terrible at catching the football, and we need to have a back who can catch.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Dillon's one of the fallback options the Rams can go to if the draft doesn't go their way at the RB position. He'll be around longer because he's not one of these plug 'n play types for the passing game, but I view him more as a guy who never really developed that part of his game moreso than a guy who has bad hands.

He'll never be Faulk of course, but I'm confident he's going to be a good pro RB. Question is how long he will be on the board. I think he really helped himself at the combine so we'll see.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After the Cooks trade, I jumped into evaluating the second round WRs. I hadn't spent much time on them before because we weren't going to take a WR there. Now, it's possible we do. There are four names who stood out to me as guys I'd consider taking:
Tee Higgins
Denzel Mims
K.J. Hamler
Laviska Shenault

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
@jrry32 Who is your Rd2 RB targets, and who do you like as a left OG for our system?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 Who is your Rd2 RB targets, and who do you like as a left OG for our system?

Unless Jonathan Taylor or Dobbins fell, I wouldn't be that interested in HBs in the Second Round. I really like Robert Hunt as an OG for us.

Doesn't Baylors WR track record make you nervous? Tho Snead does love those track 200metre guys

No. And even if it did, the track record occurred under Art Briles. Matt Rhule was Mims's head coach, and he's now coaching the Panthers.

Memento

Name
Jemma
After the Cooks trade, I jumped into evaluating the second round WRs. I hadn't spent much time on them before because we weren't going to take a WR there. Now, it's possible we do. There are four names who stood out to me as guys I'd consider taking:
Tee Higgins
Denzel Mims
K.J. Hamler
Laviska Shenault

Shenault's the one I want. He reminds me of Sammy Watkins - in a good way. He's got a great head on his shoulders and he's ridiculously skilled. I wouldn't be upset with Higgins either. Mims would be okay - even though I think he's going in the first round at this point. Not a fan of Hamler; he's simply too small and slight for my liking.

Unless Jonathan Taylor or Dobbins fell, I wouldn't be that interested in HBs in the Second Round. I really like Robert Hunt as an OG for us.

Would love to take Hunt. I'm not as high on Taylor as you are; he's got tons of wear and tear on him. I'd be okay with Dobbins, but my real want is CEH with the second second round pick.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shenault's the one I want. He reminds me of Sammy Watkins - in a good way. He's got a great head on his shoulders and he's ridiculously skilled. I wouldn't be upset with Higgins either. Mims would be okay - even though I think he's going in the first round at this point. Not a fan of Hamler; he's simply too small and slight for my liking.

My comparison for Shenault would be Juju Smith-Schuster. While Sammy was built, he didn't/doesn't play the game with the physicality that those two do. Sammy was more of a speed guy. Shenault plays with the physicality and violence of Anquan Boldin. That was something I noticed of Juju too. Both are very good but not elite athletes who rely more on their strength and physicality to separate than perfect route running. Shenault needs to block better, though. McVay and co. won't have patience for a lack of effort there.

As for Hamler, you can't teach speed. He has DeSean Jackson-like speed. Kid disappears angles and runs away from coverage. If McVay wants a vertical threat, you aren't going to find a lot of guys faster than Hamler. But he also has route running potential. He's not polished right now, but the separation quickness in and out of breaks is easy to see. I think if he develops well, you get a DeSean Jackson. If he doesn't, you get Ted Ginn Jr. He is small, he lacks play strength, and his hands are fairly average. But like I said, you can't teach speed.

Would love to take Hunt. I'm not as high on Taylor as you are; he's got tons of wear and tear on him. I'd be okay with Dobbins, but my real want is CEH with the second second round pick.

Taylor is such a great athlete and instinctive runner that I can ignore the wear and tear. I wouldn't commit to him long term, but he could be a lethal runner for 6 to 8 years. The fumbles are my bigger concern. As for CEH, I'd spend a mid-third on him, but not a second. He doesn't block well enough.

Memento

Name
Jemma
My comparison for Shenault would be Juju Smith-Schuster. While Sammy was built, he didn't/doesn't play the game with the physicality that those two do. Sammy was more of a speed guy. Shenault plays with the physicality and violence of Anquan Boldin. That was something I noticed of Juju too. Both are very good but not elite athletes who rely more on their strength and physicality to separate than perfect route running. Shenault needs to block better, though. McVay and co. won't have patience for a lack of effort there.

As for Hamler, you can't teach speed. He has DeSean Jackson-like speed. Kid disappears angles and runs away from coverage. If McVay wants a vertical threat, you aren't going to find a lot of guys faster than Hamler. But he also has route running potential. He's not polished right now, but the separation quickness in and out of breaks is easy to see. I think if he develops well, you get a DeSean Jackson. If he doesn't, you get Ted Ginn Jr. He is small, he lacks play strength, and his hands are fairly average. But like I said, you can't teach speed.

I dunno about JJSS, but if Shenault turns out anything like him, I think he gets my vote.

jrry32 said:
Taylor is such a great athlete and instinctive runner that I can ignore the wear and tear. I wouldn't commit to him long term, but he could be a lethal runner for 6 to 8 years. The fumbles are my bigger concern. As for CEH, I'd spend a mid-third on him, but not a second. He doesn't block well enough.

Yeah, it's just that I get concerned over running backs with that much mileage on them. If we took Taylor with our high second, I'd be kinda annoyed. Dobbins, I can get behind.

CEH won't be there for our third. I know I've mentioned this a million times, but he's more MJD than any back I've seen in some time, since...MJD. He's small, but if he learns leverage, he could be a dangerous back in all facets of the game (running, receiving, and blocking). It's certainly not willingness that's the problem with CEH.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno about JJSS, but if Shenault turns out anything like him, I think he gets my vote.

Yeah, it's just that I get concerned over running backs with that much mileage on them. If we took Taylor with our high second, I'd be kinda annoyed. Dobbins, I can get behind.

CEH won't be there for our third. I know I've mentioned this a million times, but he's more MJD than any back I've seen in some time, since...MJD. He's small, but if he learns leverage, he could be a dangerous back in all facets of the game (running, receiving, and blocking). It's certainly not willingness that's the problem with CEH.

MJD had 4.3 speed. CEH runs a 4.6. If he ran a 4.3 like MJD, I'd be game.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I feel pretty confident that if CEH is there in the 2nd, we take him. I’d prefer we go OL and WR/LB/Edge....and pickup a RB in 3rd or 4th (Moss, Akers, perine, Kelley, etc.).

Most importantly, get the BPs who are impact guys and difference makers going forward regardless of position

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I want Quez Watkins in the 4th, give him a year to add 10 lbs of muscle and coach him up better against press and he's a better Cooks. Use the 2nd round picks on a center and BPA or trade back. Grab Zach moss later and we are good.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No way I'd touch a RB at 52. Moss has a very good shot to be there in fact I'd be surprised if he wasn't because nobody will be in a rush to take a RB in this draft what with elite wideouts, good OTs, and whatnot spiking the quality of the early going. RB is deep so if any team takes Moss earlier than they should (I think he's a late 2nd type personally) there's a good chance other teams will be finding guys later like Perrine, Dillon, etc.

For me 52 is about impact player OR a development LT. If a good dev LT is there that I think has a good chance to start at this level (which is possible) then I would take him. Why? Because getting one of them in round 2 thanks to how good this draft is up top would help offset not having that first round pick.

Barring that I would simply take BPA there and try to recoup loss of that round 1 pick by finding an impact player.

Oh and lastly since I feel this way that means the Rams will take Moss. You're welcome. :LOL:

If you want an OT, I wonder if Prince Tega Wahnogo will be there at one of the Rams picks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If you want an OT, I wonder if Prince Tega Wahnogo will be there at one of the Rams picks.
I would love to see them get a guy with a shot to play LT. But Wanogho's knee scares me after all the BS with Gurley.

Finding a LT would be quite a coup for Snead. Even though a starter type at another position would impact us more in 2020.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would love to see them get a guy with a shot to play LT. But Wanogho's knee scares me after all the BS with Gurley.

Finding a LT would be quite a coup for Snead. Even though a starter type at another position would impact us more in 2020.

They could have a reasonable shot at one of Snead likes them enough.Th

Wilson is considered a late first rounder and one of a few players I'd advocate trading up to get.
Josh Jones, Wanogho, and Niang could all be within the area the Rams pick. I recall a lot of people here being high on Niang at one put.

I agree about not drafting players with serious injuries in their past. As good as Gurley was I didn't want the Rams to pick him because of the knee. I guess some could say it was worth it because he was instrumental in getting the Rams to a Super Bowl, but on the other hand that Oline blocked well for Anderson too. So who knows. But in the end the injury but them in the ass. So imo another high first round pick down the drain.