CAMP REPORT Mon Aug-06 Camp Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sounds like you've had practice with the beer tent experience VetRamFan :cheers:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't know why teams still list their depth charts with two CB positions. The slot corner plays enough nowadays to be considered a starting position, it should be listed as SCB. Just irks me.

Only weakness in the DL depth is the nose. I don't like our 2-3 there.

OLB definitely is a concern. It was from the beginning, but we are definitely at risk of being too thin there.

If we use the 2016 Wade D as an example then NRC (our Nickle DB) was on the field more than the 2nd OLB. With Wade running Tree/Barron as the only LB'ers on the field. From what I understood near the end of the 2016 season Wade was unable to use more Dime defenses due to the limitations of the 2016 DB's. The problem was not with our 3 safeties Johnson/Joyner/Davis until Cody Davis was injured.

You & I discussed the NT position early & often this year... I was of the opinion that we needed a couple to go with Omarius Bryant (6-3/310 23/1 & possibly even 3 tech DL'er( 6-1/ 300 23/2) Tanzel Smart. So our team purchased the 6-4 315 Ndamukong Suh & drafted the pure NT 6-4 310 Sebastian Joseph-Day. SJD started 3 straight seasons @ the nose!

We will see if Bryant/Smart have greatly improved in their 2nd season. If you recall Smart came out of the gates fast & earned a early starting post @ NT initially but fell into "Fail Mode" just as fast. The jury remains out if Smart can do anything else but play the 3 tech position. Bryant was never a pure NT in college played all over the DL mostly @ DE until he out grew the position. OB did show some promise as a run stuffer though in the 2016 pre season.

Ethan Westbrooks 6-4/287 lbs is listed as starter @ the 3 tech post currently but that is slated to change whenever Donald decides to show up. EW has proven to be a better pass rusher from the interior posts (NT & DT) than outside but EW sets an excellent edge on run defense @ DE when Wade goes to the 4 DL'ers. I would expect to see EW become the main top reliever on the 3 starting DL posts in rotation.

In the pre season we might se the 21 yr old John Franklin-Myers who is a bit bigger than Westbrooks attempt to take away playing time from EW. Then there's Dom Easley who still might return close to 2015 season performance keeping these 3 off the field may be a hard thing to accomplish. I just see a ton of four down linemen upcoming in 2018.

I still do not fully understand the assignment of #57 to Franklin who is the same size or a few LBs more than Ethan Westbrooks who was our starting NT over the 2nd half of the 2016 season??:thinking: Is John Franklin really that good?

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If we use the 2016 Wade D as an example then NRC (our Nickle DB) was on the field more than the 2nd OLB. With Wade running Tree/Barron as the only LB'ers on the field. From what I understood near the end of the 2016 season Wade was unable to use more Dime defenses due to the limitations of the 2016 DB's. The problem was not with our 3 safeties Johnson/Joyner/Davis until Cody Davis was injured.

You & I discussed the NT position early & often this year... I was of the opinion that we needed a couple to go with Omarius Bryant (6-3/310 23/1 & possibly even 3 tech DL'er( 6-1/ 300 23/2) Tanzel Smart. So our team purchased the 6-4 315 Ndamukong Suh & drafted the pure NT 6-4 310 Sebastian Joseph-Day. SJD started 3 straight seasons @ the nose!

We will see if Bryant/Smart have greatly improved in their 2nd season. If you recall Smart came out of the gates fast & earned a early starting post @ NT initially but fell into "Fail Mode" just as fast. The jury remains out if Smart can do anything else but play the 3 tech position. Bryant was never a pure NT in college played all over the DL mostly @ DE until he out grew the position. OB did show some promise as a run stuffer though in the 2016 pre season.

Ethan Westbrooks 6-4/287 lbs is listed as starter @ the 3 tech post currently but that is slated to change whenever Donald decides to show up. EW has proven to be a better pass rusher from the interior posts (NT & DT) than outside but EW sets an excellent edge on run defense @ DE when Wade goes to the 4 DL'ers. I would expect to see EW become the main top reliever on the 3 starting DL posts in rotation.

In the pre season we might se the 21 yr old John Franklin-Myers who is a bit bigger than Westbrooks attempt to take away playing time from EW. If Dom Easley gets back into the 2015 season swing this 34 D might jell & set into more of a 4-2-5 than we think @ the moment.
Good stuff.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For those wondering NFLN will replay this game at 10pm on Thursday night.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Is it me or are the muppets forever cool?
167.gif

"Cool? Heck another few years, and we'll be down-right room temperature!"

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
View attachment 25714

"Cool? Heck another few years, and we'll be down-right room temperature!"
Ok. My favorite muppets right there. I turned my dad onto them as the peanut gallery crew and he laughed his ass off. Keep in mind, my dad has never before or since found humor in puppets or anything of the like. He started watching the show religiously.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Word is that Brockers is being positioned to be more of a pass rusher than in years past. I’ll be interested to see how he does with that. I wouldn’t count him out on passing downs.
Before the drafting of AD ...Kendall Langford & Brockers were our starting DT's during the 2013 season. MB had a great season, go back & review his stats as a pass rusher & run stopper. Pre AD MB had 9.5 sacks in two seasons. Post AD, MB had 3 sacks in 2 seasons @ playing the Nose (2015/2016).

IMO, MB was made to play for Wade's defense. I would not want to underestimate the pass rushing ability of Brockers if he was free'd up.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Before the drafting of AD ...Kendall Langford & Brockers were our starting DT's during the 2013 season. MB had a great season, go back & review his stats as a pass rusher & run stopper. Pre AD MB had 9.5 sacks in two seasons. Post AD, MB had 3 sacks in 2 seasons @ playing the Nose (2015/2016).

IMO, MB was made to play for Wade's defense. I would not want to underestimate the pass rushing ability of Brockers if he was free'd up.
That’s what I’m thinking. Brockers is one of those guys who might not be great, but he is a very good FOOTBALL player and will give you his all. I’m predicting a really good year from him.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
If you recall Smart came out of the gates fast & earned a early starting post @ NT initially but fell into "Fail Mode" just as fast. The jury remains out if Smart can do anything else but play the 3 tech position.
I think Tanzel has his work cut out for him in remaining on the team when the regular season starts.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Word is that Brockers is being positioned to be more of a pass rusher than in years past. I’ll be interested to see how he does with that. I wouldn’t count him out on passing downs.
5 technique. Both Brockers and sounds like JFM, are versatile. They will probably kick Brockers inside on passing downs. I could see packages with both of them in at the same time, on the same side even, potentially.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I still have faith in Tanzel Smart. Call me crazy, but I bet he makes the team, even if AD returns.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I still do not fully understand the assignment of #57 to Franklin who is the same size or a few LBs more than Ethan Westbrooks who was our starting NT over the 2nd half of the 2016 season??:thinking: Is John Franklin really that good?

The size, and the measurables to EW, are almost uncanny. All I've heard is good stuff from JF-M, I guess we'll see soon, but my gut feeling is that he's a better pass rusher, so they may kick him out at times. I am excited to see this kid play. Westbrooks was about 20 pounds lighter when he first came in, but they appear to be at the same weight, so JF-M will probably get bigger, and spot up at the 3 at times. Dude ran a 4.7, which is blazing at his size and weight.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst

NFL Comparison : Datone Jones
Overview
Franklin-Myers carried 297 pounds on his frame this spring but played at 280 at the NFLPA game in January. His sweet spot might be around 290 pounds, which would position him more favorably as a 3-4 defensive end with some rush potential. Franklin-Myers flashes power at the point of attack and the ability to get a quick win when he's working around the edges. He's a solid developmental prospect with intriguing upside if the technique improves.
Strengths
  • NFL-worthy build with good size and a broad, tapered chest
  • Wingspan measured over 82 inches at the NFLPA game
  • Tape is full of him bludgeoning blockers across from him
  • Explosive upper body power
  • Carries bang behind his pads and is able to knock opponents off-balance when his leverage is right
  • Decent lateral quickness to flatten out runners to the perimeter
  • Shows athletic ability to work edge-to-edge as rusher
  • Gets good mileage from his arm-over move and works his hands and feet in unison
  • Possesses balance to recover
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/john-franklin-myers?id=32462018-0002-5601-3962-fcfe2ee52f31

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I think Franklin's biggest asset right now is his strength. He's really a stout MFer for his size but I don't think he's got the feet for OLB in this defense. Presume 5T is his home, behind Brock on the depth chart.

Haven't seen him in camp though, so not sure if they've been putting him at LOLB. He'll be interesting to watch on Thursday night though, where he lines up and whatnot.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
It seems to me that you really should list 12 guys as your starters because the nickel back plays so much and then there's the 3 WR sets vs 2 TEs.

AFA the LB concerns go, I don't see us playing with 4 that much. Our DL is stacked (so why run with 2?), and NRC will need to be on the field.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
At TC on Monday and Wednesday, Wade had Myers at multiple positions, LOLB, LDE, RDE, even a couple snaps at ILB.

At this point in TC, we can't make any predictions. They're moving everyone around, trying different combinations, Wade is looking to see who does what and where the best combo is.

I expect this shuffling to continue well into pre-season games