Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
So is the forum consensus to thank Shelton for his service but aggressively look to improve thru FA or Draft?
Not really.

But, for some reason I had the thought of the Rams deciding between Dotson and Shelton. The first one who agreed to terms stays while the other is replaced by a cheaper alternative.

But they'll probably re-sign him, too.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some nice players. But lack of OL would be disappointing.
We add a future starting Center and we have the rest of our OL from last year coming back except for Allen who's our backup Center.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So is the forum consensus to thank Shelton for his service but aggressively look to improve thru FA or Draft?
That is certainly my consensus. I'd like an interior who can generate very high third and 2 success rate. That way McVay can take deep shots instead.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I thought 'they' said OT is DEEP. Having said that, by the looks of Sharps mock, JPJ would be available at #19. I'd take him over the kid who was told to quit playing football for his own safety. At the very least, it might put an end to the Creed Humphrey regret!
I don't think OT is really that deep, very top heavy with some studs in round 1 and 2. Think it falls off pretty far after. That's why I think teams will grab the OT's early and often.

I'm totally good with passing on Latu if his meds are not good. If he passes the medical test, he's a perfect edge for us and IMO the best defensive player in the draft (particularly for us). If no Latu, I'd take one of the top CB's over JPJ easily. But that is just me.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
So since it looks like we're letting Hoecht leave....

has me thinking about Edge rushers...maybe even at #19...

Jared Verse couldn't fall to us......or can he?

dang

Legend
So since it looks like we're letting Hoecht leave....

has me thinking about Edge rushers...maybe even at #19...

Jared Verse couldn't fall to us......or can he?
Looks like Turner and Verse will be long gone by R1.19. The TLewis experiment could keep the Rams for taking a chance on Latu with R1.19. While they will surely draft an Edge in the first 3 rounds - the Rams need assurance on a major upgrade at Edge. Picking up a first or second wave Edge FA allows them to relax a bit on their Edge selection in the draft. God help us if they go into the season with BYoung and someone like Chop Robinson/Trice as the 2 starters.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
My first round mock. No trades, just taking best-player-at-position-of-need. Whaddya think?

Attachments

• 1a935542-5d3e-4a4d-a9b6-b14b45f9747f.png
    1a935542-5d3e-4a4d-a9b6-b14b45f9747f.png
    153 KB · Views: 42

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean, how can we possibly pass on a guy named Kool-Aid?
definitely a no win scenario for his future bride, unless she likes to drink ......................... (i'm leaving).

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
My first round mock. No trades, just taking best-player-at-position-of-need. Whaddya think?
Good effort.

I think Alt goes before Fashanu, though, especially after the latter’s injury at the combine.

I would also think that Murphy will be the first DT taken, not Newton.

I’d be delighted if the Whiners took Suamataia, as I think he’s vastly overrated.

From the Rams’ perspective, I’d find it very hard to choose between Verse and Mitchell if they’re both available at nineteen. Given that our secondary is, in my opinion, currently weaker than the front six/seven, I think I would go for Mitchell.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
Ahhh interesting stuff. This is a fun time of year to speculate and anticipate what the Rams will do. If anything has shown us it's that Snead marches to his own drum.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
Good effort.

I think Alt goes before Fashanu, though, especially after the latter’s injury at the combine.

I’d be delighted if the Whiners took Suamataia, as I think he’s vastly overrated.

From the Rams’ perspective, I’d find it very hard to choose between Verse and Mitchell if they’re both available at nineteen. Given that our secondary is, in my opinion, currently weaker than the front six/seven, I think I would go for Mitchell.
Agree than CB1 is the greater need. Just think CB is much deeper than edge in this draft, and that Verse might be special...

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Good effort.

I know this will sound odd, but I would have easily agreed and taken a CB over an Edge…had the Rams just tendered Hoecht.
He had a motor and did a solid job getting after the QB, IMO.
Without him the Rams lack depth at the position unless someone else takes that big leap this year. Now the decision is a bit tougher when it comes to Edge vs CB.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
… unless someone else takes that big leap this year. .
I get your point, but would hope that at least one of Hampton, Mathis and Johnson takes a big step forward this year and that they all establish themselves in that rotation.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I for one believe that the Rams will address Edge in free agency next week and CBs will be picked early in this draft. Possibly two in the first three rounds.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I for one believe that the Rams will address Edge in free agency next week and CBs will be picked early in this draft. Possibly two in the first three rounds.
I could see a high draft pick at CB, but also a solid vet.

I actually think 2 DBs go early, but one will be a playmaking safety like Bullock from USC or Bishop from Utah. Or with some luck, DeJean who can maybe play that "star" position.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Watch the Rams pick up a solid edge and CB in FA.....now we really won't know which direction they'll go if they do :laugh2::laugh1::laugh3:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Watch the Rams pick up a solid edge and CB in FA.....now we really won't know which direction they'll go if they do :laugh2::laugh1::laugh3:
Yeah, this fun discussing what they will do in the draft, but we won't be able to make a reasonable guess until this first phase of FA ends and see where they stand at that point.

I will say though, running those draft simulators you do get a feel for the depth in the draft and I find that too many trade downs end up making you scratch your head on what positions to address. I mean, I run out of needs, and you look back at your picks and instead of getting maybe two top level prospects, you end up with 4 or 5 nice prospects and a bunch of guesses.

Would still prefer an extra day 2 pick and a 4th rounder to fill that gap, but trading down to the end of rd 1 you might end up with a OT prospect who may redshirt a yr, or 2nd tier CB's, or Edge's. And if you take a WR, he might not be any better than what you can get at 52.

So I wouldn't move down too far unless a team gives you multiple day 2 picks to drop back.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I don't think OT is really that deep, very top heavy with some studs in round 1 and 2. Think it falls off pretty far after. That's why I think teams will grab the OT's early and often.

I'm totally good with passing on Latu if his meds are not good. If he passes the medical test, he's a perfect edge for us and IMO the best defensive player in the draft (particularly for us). If no Latu, I'd take one of the top CB's over JPJ easily. But that is just me.
Yeah, I thought I read it wasn't that deep but top heavy. Like Sydney Sweeney.

dang

Legend
Gotta believe Snead is all giddy with his R1 options (draft picks, draft trades, trade chip). I think the smart play is to maximize the top 100 picks.

A scenario to get 7 picks in top 102:
-Trade LAR R1.19, R5.154 for NE R2.34, R3.68 and R4.102 - value chart supports the trade
-RFA R2 tender on Ajax - NYG signs Ajax. Rams get NYG R2.39 pick
-Rams would have R2.34, R2.39, R2.52, R3.68, R3.83, R3.98 and R4.102

Not gonna happen like this but that would be a fun Draft that could fill a lot of holes.