MLB 2019

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know guys, what is up with all these people who are getting beaned by foul balls? When someone was hit in the 70's, it was very unique and pretty rare. I can't help but think that these people are doing other things than watching the game. Playing with cell phones maybe?

That's probably part of it. Stadiums tend to have less foul ground now, to allow teams to put more premium seats in. When Dodger Stadium got redone a few years back, that was a lot of what happened, so less time to react. Add in juiced balls - in the same way that balls fly further now on average, that would mean that foul liners would be a bit harder today than 40 years ago. Oh, and with tickets getting more and more expensive, the chances of a kid with a glove being in the front row trying for a foul ball is less too. More adults going to be seen and to brag about front row seats. But yes, I'm sure that cell phones are a part of it too.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
I don't know guys, what is up with all these people who are getting beaned by foul balls? When someone was hit in the 70's, it was very unique and pretty rare. I can't help but think that these people are doing other things than watching the game. Playing with cell phones maybe?
Ballparks have gotten much smaller in the foul zones. The distance between the foul line and the stands was much greater years ago. If you remember many ballparks back then had their bullpens in the foul zone. I believe the ball is livelier today as well. So fans closer to the field down the lines and a livelier ball and perhaps fans being distracted by jumbotrons, phones or whatever.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I can't help but think it's a combination of things but the biggest is people paying more attention to their device and being "seen" at a game to show off to their friends or followers rather than being part of the game as a fan - not as someone to be seen AT the game.

I was always thrilled a bit - I will admit - when I saw myself afterwards. But I was always into the game and only found out afterwards.

I'm not obsolving the game or the media from this. It seems over the years, they have placated this trend.

Given what it is, I suppose it will suck for us fans wanting foul line seats but probably needs to get handled as times are what they are.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Ryu has a 17:1 k:bb ratio and none of his 5 walks on the year have scored.

He gave up a few runs against the Rockies, but the defense was shoddy. He coulda easily pitched a shutout. Taylor lost the ball on the exchange that shoulda been a double play in the first inning. Then the review showed he lost control before he touched the bag. Both guys were safe. Muncy couldn't dig out a low throw that woulda ended the inning allowing a run to score on the play.

But all that did was lead to another walkoff by a rookie. That was an unbelievable 3 games there. That had to but some kind of gut punch for the Rockies. :mrburnsevil:

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
3F39AC9E-9A9C-49BE-B179-92F54362C715.jpeg

That was the view from my seat today, stadium is more suited for Baseball than football that’s for sure even if it was housing two shithouse teams. Thought I’d never get home when it was 6-6 after the first innings and both starters had been hooked. Still an absolute con charging £7.50 for a pint of Heineken. Joke really.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
View attachment 29307

That was the view from my seat today, stadium is more suited for Baseball than football that’s for sure even if it was housing two shithouse teams. Thought I’d never get home when it was 6-6 after the first innings and both starters had been hooked. Still an absolute con charging £7.50 for a pint of Heineken. Joke really.
Should be a lot of foul outs on that field.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tyler Skaggs, a pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, is dead at the age of twenty-seven. I'm in shock. He was younger than I am.

Rest in peace.