Missouri DE Michael Sam Says He's Gay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
There were rumors this last season that Free Agent S Kerry Rhodes was gay, and that because of that, he was supposedly being blackballed by NFL teams.
Well, with a name like "Kerry", he was kind of destined.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I suppose being that coaches know their locker room, they are now more able to gauge how he'll fit in. More info is always helpful before drafting a player. But that's about it. Sorry but I don't view it as brave or ground breaking or anything great. Few things more boring to me than someone wanting to make sure I know their sexual orientation. And why is it that someone feels they need to ADMIT that they're gay?

Look. If you are a pro athlete, an actor, a singer, etc... I don't want to know your politics, your religion, or your sexual preference.

I don't need you to profess it if you're a friend. I'm sure I will figure all of them out through normal conversation or just getting to know you. If you put any of those out there before I even meet you, you are putting up a hurdle if I don't lean your way.

But at least now with the Olympics on and my not able to watch much of it, I get to wade through a constant feed of this bullshit so that I can see if an athlete won a medal.

Yeah - I guess I'm an insensitive bastard.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
True. That's like saying 3.8% of The Teamsters are gay, or 3.8% of organized crime is gay. Not likely.
But he did say chances are "at least one of those 66" could be gay. That's probable. I'm sure there are some who are keeping that a secret.

Don't you watch TV? That number has to be up around 25%. Sheesh! Wake up man.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It probably is lower, but how much lower, low enough so that no set of team mates has ever been aware of a single homosexual?
Or is it possible that no one cared or thought it was anyone else's business?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Now that we know this ... is there any doubt that the team he'd be best suited for is the whiners. ?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
It probably is lower, but how much lower, low enough so that no set of team mates has ever been aware of a single homosexual?

Well, with the culture around the NFL I'm betting that this kind of this falls along the lines of don't ask, don't tell. Which is the way it should remain, IMO.

The only reason an announcement like this is made is to garner attention for an individual and detracts from the team. This is why he's going to fall in the draft, and that's IF he's not blackballed like Kerry Rhodes.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Or is it possible that no one cared or thought it was anyone else's business?

Doubtful. I'm willing to bet that there are a handful of players who have told a handful of teammates they feel they can trust. No different than guys in the military. They would come and tell a few guys who they knew wouldn't care and that was it.

I think when you seem almost hostile in a way, to make it seem like its nobody's business and they shouldnt say anything is harmful in a way. I agree that guys shouldn't need to come out and say they're gay, but only because I believe they shouldn't need to hide it in the first place. Its not easy on a guy hiding who he is, stressing out about if someone will find out, etc. Guys who came out in the military were very relieved to have someone they could talk to without fear of backlash. Their ability to perform their job improved significantly as well.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Don't ask dont tell was a stupid policy...

I'm not saying it should be a direct copy of the armed services version.

But it should be that you shouldn't feel obligated to tell anyone.

As far as barring any openly gay behaviors... That's not up to me. But in the NFL locker room, that's full of thugs and roid rage...When you start making those guys feel uncomfortable you have one volatile environment.

Well, with the culture around the NFL I'm betting that this kind of this falls along the lines of don't ask, don't tell. Which is the way it should remain, IMO.

The only reason an announcement like this is made is to garner attention for an individual and detracts from the team. This is why he's going to fall in the draft, and that's IF he's not blackballed like Kerry Rhodes.

Maybe or maybe he thought that his coming out would help anyone else going through the emotional anguish that he may have been going through, or maybe he thought that GMs/coaches/media would find out at some point regardless so he may as well be open and honest rather now rather than coving his tracks at a later date.

But I don't think it was "leaked by Sam and his agent to save face about his draft projection." I think he really is a homosexual.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Doubtful. I'm willing to bet that there are a handful of players who have told a handful of teammates they feel they can trust. No different than guys in the military. They would come and tell a few guys who they knew wouldn't care and that was it.

I think when you seem almost hostile in a way, to make it seem like its nobody's business and they shouldnt say anything is harmful in a way. I agree that guys shouldn't need to come out and say they're gay, but only because I believe they shouldn't need to hide it in the first place. Its not easy on a guy hiding who he is, stressing out about if someone will find out, etc. Guys who came out in the military were very relieved to have someone they could talk to without fear of backlash. Their ability to perform their job improved significantly as well.
Yeah Blue - I meant outside of the people who know the particular person. My point was that I'm sure that there are/have been homosexuals in the NFL (a former 49er had a lover's spat a year or so ago - no?) and I'm sure a few people in the locker room and outside of it were well aware of it. Much like your example. But there is no reason for us to know because it's none of our business. I wouldn't discuss personal stuff with a stranger or someone who I knew wasn't comfortable with it. Why should a person think it's appropriate? Because they're gay? Yawn.

tonyl711

Starter
The league should handle these situations the same was as the military used to. Don't ask, don't tell.

I personally don't have a problem with homosexuality. But, as a fan of the game I don't see how this helps anyone.

My personal view? This is probably left out, but what fun would that be. This was leaked by Sam and his agent to save face about his draft projection. If his team mates at Mizzou knew about this all along, as he said in the interview, then why wasn't this known already?
how exactly does he save face about his draft projection by saying he is gay?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yeah Blue - I meant outside of the people who know the particular person. My point was that I'm sure that there are/have been homosexuals in the NFL (a former 49er had a lover's spat a year or so ago - no?) and I'm sure a few people in the locker room and outside of it were well aware of it. Much like your example. But there is no reason for us to know because it's none of our business. I wouldn't discuss personal stuff with a stranger or someone who I knew wasn't comfortable with it. Why should a person think it's appropriate? Because they're gay? Yawn.

Ah, gotcha. I agree with you then, I just think that until we get to the point where there's no reason to hide it (which we are coming closer and closer to) we have to see guys come out publicly and force the issue. Then we can get past this bullshit and let people be people.

tonyl711

Starter
If his position tanks, he can now say it's because of his announcement.
so you are saying he thought "hmm if I can do something to make my draft stock lower it will give me an excuse" not likely IMO.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
so you are saying he thought "hmm if I can do something to make my draft stock lower it will give me an excuse" not likely IMO.

Not likely at all. But it will be used as an excuse on why he wasn't taken earlier. Just you wait.