Mikell to be released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Can't say I'm surprised, but I can say I'm disappointed.

[tweet]310946159134900226[/tweet]

A55VA6

Legend
Wow, I wasn't expecting this. Now we need 2 new starting Safeties. Doesn't this clear up alot of cap space though?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
A55VA6 said:
Wow, I wasn't expecting this. Now we need 2 new starting Safeties.

What are we going to do?
Get a free safety and hope one of our many strong safeties is up to the task.

Speeps

Starter
This now gives the Rams 6 more million dollars in cap space. Rams have money to make some moves.

I believe the Rams feel very comfortable about landing Glover Quinn or Louis Delmas otherwise this move may not have been made.

A55VA6

Legend
It's a smart move because of the amount of cap space we gain. Interested to see the direction we go.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not surprised. It saves us 3 million this year and 10 million next year. Mikell is still solid but FA and the Draft are stocked with Strong Safeties. Time to get younger.

Speeps

Starter
Where is the three million dollar number coming from? I thought cutting Mikkel this season gives us 6 million in cap space, but 3 million in dead money.

A55VA6

Legend
Rams save $3 mil this year by cutting Mikell.. But they save $10 mil next year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Speeps said:
Where is the three million dollar number coming from? I thought cutting Mikkel this season gives us 6 million in cap space, but 3 million in dead money.
He was due $9M, but only $6M of it is guaranteed. Cutting him saves $3M in cap space.

Speeps

Starter
X said:
Speeps said:
He was due $9M, but only $6M of it is guaranteed. Cutting him saves $3M in cap space.
Oh Okay. Thanks X.

Saving 10 mil next year with this move is also great, because if the Rams wanted to sign a free agent this year, they can give them a heavier cap hit next year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A55VA6 said:
How much cap does that leave us with. Roughly 14 mil?

Yep. If Dahl is cut, that number goes up to 18 million. Should be enough to sign a good starter at S or RT.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm just not that surprised. He is a one dimensional safety, and he played well after the first few games, where he played horrible, but he was overpaid to begin with....and Fisher wants interchangeable safeties. Mikkel can only play SS, he's too slow to cover anybody in space.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I'm disappointed they weren't able to negotiate a restructure, another hole to fill. Mikell was an elite box safety, evidenced by his 4 FFs.

I agree with others who said that this is a good Strong Safety draft. I'd say go all in for Goldson, Quin, Delmas, or Philips (depending on how much they want to spend) and draft Elam, Swearinger, Philip Thomas, etc. to be our SS. All of these guys excel around the LOS and hit very well.

Although it may be pricey I'd like the Goldson signing because he'd bring more swagger/tenacity to this defense that is already loaded w/feisty players (Long, Finnegan, Dunbar, etc.), make teams think twice about going over the middle of the field, and he'd weaken a divisonal opponent (and bring intel about the Whiners :hehe: ).

bluecoconuts

Legend
Great guy, all class, but I can see why. Cap casualty frankly, the money was just simply far too much, and with the talent on the market we can probably get two great safeties for similar cash. I definitely feel this front office has a plan though, so I'm not worried at all. Even though we're likely losing players that I really liked (Jackson, Amendola, etc) I find myself oddly at peace with it all. I have 100% faith in Snead and Co.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
DR RAM said:
I'm just not that surprised. He is a one dimensional safety, and he played well after the first few games, where he played horrible, but he was overpaid to begin with....and Fisher wants interchangeable safeties. Mikkel can only play SS, he's too slow to cover anybody in space.

I agree with you about Mikell being one dimensional but his play inside @ the Box SS was good. His best came from his blitz & his ability to beat large blockers to the ball carrier going forward. Mikell is short did I say he was short? He was originally purchased to play deep free safety cuz the Rams had SS Craig Dahl & a young SS Darian Stewart. Having this high cost safety in Mikell meant he would be on the field & after his bad showing in 2011 @ FS he was moved to SS. Thus we got Dahl situation where Craig was forced to play FS. Stewart would have slid back to FS but his 2012 season was jammed packed with health issues, however Stewart had a very good first & second season when he started 13 games with as a Ram plus he nearly a decade younger than Mikell.

This Mikell action saves us @ least 3 mil & 10 mil in 2014 so this was the best move when you figure in that $$$ that's enough to entice a young UFA FS in here. I have read that the Mikell figure could be more savings..

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/print?id=93510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/print?id=93510</a>

Now I wonder if the Rams ever gave Stewart his RFA tender contact? If they retain Stewart & if DS is sound with 2nd yr SS Matt Daniels if he is sound could be solid enough youthful SS cadre to start off with. The real issue is @ Deep Free Safety where Rod McLeod is our only FS on the roster.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
BonifayRam said:
DR RAM said:

I agree with you about Mikell being one dimensional but his play inside @ the Box SS was good. His best came from his blitz & his ability to beat large blockers to the ball carrier going forward. Mikell is short did I say he was short? He was originally purchased to play deep free safety cuz the Rams had SS Craig Dahl & a young SS Darian Stewart. Having this high cost safety in Mikell meant he would be on the field & after his bad showing in 2011 @ FS he was moved to SS. Thus we got Dahl situation where Craig was forced to play FS. Stewart would have slid back to FS but his 2012 season was jammed packed with health issues, however Stewart had a very good first & second season when he started 13 games with as a Ram plus he nearly a decade younger than Mikell.

This Mikell action saves us @ least 3 mil & 10 mil in 2014 so this was the best move when you figure in that $$$ that's enough to entice a young UFA FS in here. I have read that the Mikell figure could be more savings..

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/print?id=93510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/print?id=93510</a>

Now I wonder if the Rams ever gave Stewart his RFA tender contact? If they retain Stewart & if DS is sound with 2nd yr SS Matt Daniels if he is sound could be solid enough youthful SS cadre to start off with. The real issue is @ Deep Free Safety where Rod McLeod is our only FS on the roster.
He did play well last year, after a few games... Short? Who cares, some of the best safeties are short.

Yes, one of our worst deficiencies on defense is at FREE SAFETY. No debate there, at all. I would have loved to see McLeod more. Nobody would have been worse than C, Dahl....nobody, even though X loves him. I am a huge, unabashed Stewart fan. Too bad he got off on an injury plagued start. Too bad. I think he can play both positions, but SS would be his bread and butter. I loved when he played MLB in some of Spags schemes. Some of the plays he got criticized for were unfair, he wasn't responsible, but tried to make plays. I have no problem with him being aggressive.

Even though Mikell will make G-Money, a rookie playing there will still save money overall, now, and into the future.

I think we will sign a free(Glover Quin, or Louie Delmas), and draft a strong, to go with the guys on our roster. I hope we re-sign Stewart.

I think we are mostly on the same page.