Mike Martz on Shaun Hill

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Where would we be if the Rams had trusted in this?

Ah well, next season Rams make their SB run!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Wait..........Martz was wrong about a QB?

That just doesn't happen. Ever.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Where would we be if the Rams had trusted in this?

Ah well, next season Rams make their SB run!
Maybe some games Davis lost, Hill would have won. But maybe some games Davis won, Hill would have lost.

Davis played so well early that Fisher made the only decision he could. Fortunately for Hill, he's come in when the rest of the team has improved around him.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Maybe some games Davis lost, Hill would have won. But maybe some games Davis won, Hill would have lost.

Davis played so well early that Fisher made the only decision he could. Fortunately for Hill, he's come in when the rest of the team has improved around him.

Davis was 1-3 when Fisher made that decision so, not so sure Fisher made the only decision he could. Hindsight is 20-20 though.

What we know for certain is it didn't get the Rams to the playoffs.

I'm not even as bothered by the premature decision as not reversing it in time when we saw it wasn't going to work. When I say that, I don't mean Davis as a QB but as in the team with an O line needed a different skill set. Not better, just more in line with the team weaknesses.

Ah well, with the team Snisher built for next season, I'm fully confident he will make the best decisions for a SB run!

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Man you dug for that interview.. That's been awhile now in internet time. Kudos.. :cool:

I was just showing that what Warner and everyone else is saying now was known back then. Shoulda' woulda' coulda'.

It's not like Martz saw Warner coming or anything but, he knew abut Hill after the fact and warned us.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Davis was 1-3 when Fisher made that decision so, not so sure Fisher made the only decision he could. Hindsight is 20-20 though.

What we know for certain is it didn't get the Rams to the playoffs.

I'm not even as bothered by the decision as not reversing it in time when we saw it wasn't going to work.

Ah well, with the team Snisher built for next season, I'm fully confident he will make the best decisions for a SB run!
No, the TEAM was 1-3. Davis' statistics were awesome, indicating he wasn't the problem at the time. He got yips later, but there wasn't any definitive time when we saw it wasn't going to work until that meltdown against Arizona. You disagree with this, but you were pounding the table for Hill even when Davis was still good.

Now the rest of the team has picked up. But trust me, Hill wouldn't have been the difference between the results we got in those games and the shutouts we're getting now.

But maybe it's time to stop pounding the table on this topic and just enjoy where we are? Just a suggestion.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He got yips later, but there wasn't any definitive time when we saw it wasn't going to work until that meltdown against Arizona.

I disagree 110% with this.

There was a definitive time before Arizona. He struggled against KC and then stunk up the joint against San Francisco. We should have benched him after San Francisco(#2).

RamzFanz

Damnit
No, the TEAM was 1-3. Davis' statistics were awesome, indicating he wasn't the problem at the time. He got yips later, but there wasn't any definitive time when we saw it wasn't going to work until that meltdown against Arizona. You disagree with this, but you were pounding the table for Hill even when Davis was still good.

Now the rest of the team has picked up. But trust me, Hill wouldn't have been the difference between the results we got in those games and the shutouts we're getting now.

But maybe it's time to stop pounding the table on this topic and just enjoy where we are? Just a suggestion.

Well, in the very first game Hill was sacked once and Davis was sacked four times against the exact same defense so, while I agree Davis was good at times and has great potential, I would have to disagree that he was awesome in that small comparison.

My point isn't even about Austin Davis or Garrett Gilbert, but about Hill and his real potential based upon the opinion of one of the greatest offensive football minds of all time.

Don't you think it's ironic that the same player was underestimated twice? That's a Cinderella story in the making if he goes on to do something great!

RamzFanz

Damnit
Please, this isn't about AD or Gilbert or Bradford or Keenum or anyone. It's just a history lesson about how we learn after the fact. This same story could be about Warner.

What if we knew?

Boffo97

Name
Dave
What if we knew?
There's absolutely nothing for us to have possibly known. Hill is a journeyman career backup. I'm glad he's doing well for us and he has made some nice plays, but he is not the primary reason for our recent success and no one is going to be after him in the offseason to be their starter.

Hill has 5 starts right? Anyone know how many of those games we've scored a higher points total that the opposition allow on average?

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, in the very first game Hill was sacked once and Davis was sacked four times against the exact same defense so, while I agree Davis was good at times and has great potential, I would have to disagree that he was awesome in that small comparison.

Not to nitpick but Hill played very little of that game to make that comparison, at least thats from what I remembered.

fearsomefour

Legend
There's absolutely nothing for us to have possibly known. Hill is a journeyman career backup. I'm glad he's doing well for us and he has made some nice plays, but he is not the primary reason for our recent success and no one is going to be after him in the offseason to be their starter.
Yes and no. He is a career backup mostly. But, he has the ability to read Ds and manage a game well. I understand going with Davis and sticking with him. But, Hill has not stuck around in the NFL for his giant arm or ability to run. Everything with different players tend to be a trade off. In terms of putting a team in a position to win week in and week out Hill would be the pretty easy call on that. However, when Davis flashed what he did vs. Seattle I understand giving him plenty of rope. I like Davis and Hill both and hope the Rams retain both.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Hill and Warner have nothing in common. Warner was a complete unknown who spent as much time looking for a job as he did on a squad. Hill had plenty of years and plenty of starts in the NFL to look at. We knew exactly what we were getting. Which is efficient game managing. Good decisions. Pocket presence that really only veterans have. He's played good solid football which is all he needs to do for this team to win. Fisher playing Davis had as much, if not more, to do with 2015's QB lineup as it did this year's. Even then, Hill had a leg injury. He lost his job to a younger guy who had given a spark to a shocked team. It doesn't mean we didn't know who he was. Hopefully Hill keeps on trucking and we can resign him and Davis and then we can all breathe a big relieved sigh that the world won't end 3 games into the season again.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think we need a few more of these threads. I just can't get enough. I wonder what Florio thinks.