Mid pre-season 53 roster

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
Nice list. I disagree with a bit of it, but it looks solid. Here's mine, but first, trades:

Mike Thomas to the Cincinnati Bengals for a fifth round pick.

(With A.J. Green's injury, Thomas joins a familiar offense where he can immediately make an impact.)

Troy Hill to the Baltimore Ravens for a conditional sixth round pick.

(The Ravens just lost Tavon Young for the season with a neck injury. They need cornerback help.)

QB - Jared Goff, Blake Bortles.

(Obvious at this point, although I'd definitely keep Wolford on the practice squad.)

RB - Todd Gurley, Malcolm Brown, Darrell Henderson, John Kelly.

(Kelly has cemented his spot on the team, which unfortunately leaves Davis out in the cold. I bet he'll find another team; he really is a talented running back.)

WR - Robert Woods, Brandin Cooks, Cooper Kupp, Josh Reynolds, KhaDarel Hodge, Nsimba Webster.

(Natson is gone. All he can do is return, and he's muffed so many punts that you just can't trust him. Hodge has earned his special teams spot over Thomas, and Webster is a natural returner. He and/or Henderson should be able to hold down the fort.

Bachman deserves a spot on the practice squad, but the others, I'm not so sure about.)

TE - Gerald Everett, Tyler Higbee, Kendall Blanton.

(Call me crazy, but I think that Blanton is going to surprise in a good way in the next two games. He's been targeted a lot, and while he needs work, he obviously has potential as both a blocker and receiver, which Mundt does not.

I also changed my mind on dumping Higbee. You guys were right; the other rookie tight ends are nowhere near ready. If Higbee leaves via free agency, I would not be surprised if we double-dipped with tight end for next year's class.)

OL - Andrew Whitworth, Joseph Noteboom, Brian Allen, Austin Blythe, Rob Havenstein, David Edwards, Bobby Evans, Vitas Hrynkiewicz.

(I've changed my mind on Demby. I don't know if it's the cross-training or what, but he can't play against even third string players. Unfortunately, it looks like Neary will win the backup center job without much of a fight, but Hrynkiewicz is there for insurance in case Allen goes down while Neary's serving his suspension.

I'm hoping that we can scoop one or two offensive linemen off of waivers, as neither Edwards nor Evans are truly ready to play starting roles. Brewer and Hitner are intriguing players, but they aren't ready either, so I'm putting them on the practice squad, as well as Hrynkiewicz when Neary comes back.)

DL - Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Greg Gaines, John Franklin-Myers, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Morgan Fox.

(It was a close call between Fox and Marquise Copeland, but Fox won out, due to vet status. Gaines is definitely a starter at nose tackle over SJD. He puts pressure on people, but also does a hell of a job against the run.

Donald is going to break the sack record this year. I can feel it. Brockers should be much improved, while JFM and SJD provide much needed depth.)

LB - Dante Fowler, Cory Littleton, Dakota Allen, Clay Matthews, Samson Ebukam, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Natrez Patrick, Travin Howard, Landis Durham, Troy Reeder.

(I'm changing my mind on Lawler and Young. Lawler's currently injured, and Young has yet to display anything. Patrick, Durham, and Reeder, on the other hand, have. All undrafted free agents this year, they've more than exceeded my expectations, which - admittedly - weren't much. They definitely proved me wrong.

Okoronkwo is showing why so many of us were high on him. He has a plan when it comes to attacking the quarterback. Allen, in my honest opinion, should get the starting job at Mike linebacker over Hager. Hager is simply a great special teams player...but when you can get production for less money and more term, you take it...which is why I don't think he makes the roster.)

DB - Aqib Talib, Marcus Peters, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Eric Weddle, John Johnson III, Taylor Rapp, David Long, Kevin Peterson, Darious Williams, Steven Parker.

(I'll be honest: I haven't seen much of anything from Scott, not even on special teams. That, as well as the emergence of a few defensive backs in Peterson, Williams, and Parker, is why he's on the practice squad right now instead of the active roster.

Peterson should get the first crack at a starting spot if one of our cornerbacks goes down. Williams has more than exceeded my expectations; he's probably the best cover corner backup on our roster. Parker has been fantastic at safety. Long needs a little more seasoning, and we need to stop playing Rapp in the preseason; he's clearly ready.)

ST - Greg Zuerlein, Johnny Hekker, Jake McQuaide.

(No surprises.)
I concur with one change. Put Durham on the PS and keep Copeland on the 53 man roster.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Nice list. I disagree with a bit of it, but it looks solid. Here's mine, but first, trades:

(With A.J. Green's injury, Thomas joins a familiar offense where he can immediately make an impact.)

(The Ravens just lost Tavon Young for the season with a neck injury. They need cornerback help.)

(Obvious at this point, although I'd definitely keep Wolford on the practice squad.)

(Kelly has cemented his spot on the team, which unfortunately leaves Davis out in the cold. I bet he'll find another team; he really is a talented running back.)

WR - Robert Woods, Brandin Cooks, Cooper Kupp, Josh Reynolds, KhaDarel Hodge, Nsimba Webster.

(Natson is gone. All he can do is return, and he's muffed so many punts that you just can't trust him. Hodge has earned his special teams spot over Thomas, and Webster is a natural returner. He and/or Henderson should be able to hold down the fort.

Bachman deserves a spot on the practice squad, but the others, I'm not so sure about.)

(Call me crazy, but I think that Blanton is going to surprise in a good way in the next two games. He's been targeted a lot, and while he needs work, he obviously has potential as both a blocker and receiver, which Mundt does not.

I also changed my mind on dumping Higbee. You guys were right; the other rookie tight ends are nowhere near ready. If Higbee leaves via free agency, I would not be surprised if we double-dipped with tight end for next year's class.)

OL - Andrew Whitworth, Joseph Noteboom, Brian Allen, Austin Blythe, Rob Havenstein, David Edwards, Bobby Evans, Vitas Hrynkiewicz.

(I've changed my mind on Demby. I don't know if it's the cross-training or what, but he can't play against even third string players. Unfortunately, it looks like Neary will win the backup center job without much of a fight, but Hrynkiewicz is there for insurance in case Allen goes down while Neary's serving his suspension.

I'm hoping that we can scoop one or two offensive linemen off of waivers, as neither Edwards nor Evans are truly ready to play starting roles. Brewer and Hitner are intriguing players, but they aren't ready either, so I'm putting them on the practice squad, as well as Hrynkiewicz when Neary comes back.)

DL - Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Greg Gaines, John Franklin-Myers, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Morgan Fox.

(It was a close call between Fox and Marquise Copeland, but Fox won out, due to vet status. Gaines is definitely a starter at nose tackle over SJD. He puts pressure on people, but also does a hell of a job against the run.

Donald is going to break the sack record this year. I can feel it. Brockers should be much improved, while JFM and SJD provide much needed depth.)

LB - Dante Fowler, Cory Littleton, Dakota Allen, Clay Matthews, Samson Ebukam, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Natrez Patrick, Travin Howard, Landis Durham, Troy Reeder.

(I'm changing my mind on Lawler and Young. Lawler's currently injured, and Young has yet to display anything. Patrick, Durham, and Reeder, on the other hand, have. All undrafted free agents this year, they've more than exceeded my expectations, which - admittedly - weren't much. They definitely proved me wrong.

Okoronkwo is showing why so many of us were high on him. He has a plan when it comes to attacking the quarterback. Allen, in my honest opinion, should get the starting job at Mike linebacker over Hager. Hager is simply a great special teams player...but when you can get production for less money and more term, you take it...which is why I don't think he makes the roster.)

DB - Aqib Talib, Marcus Peters, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Eric Weddle, John Johnson III, Taylor Rapp, David Long, Kevin Peterson, Darious Williams, Steven Parker.

(I'll be honest: I haven't seen much of anything from Scott, not even on special teams. That, as well as the emergence of a few defensive backs in Peterson, Williams, and Parker, is why he's on the practice squad right now instead of the active roster.

Peterson should get the first crack at a starting spot if one of our cornerbacks goes down. Williams has more than exceeded my expectations; he's probably the best cover corner backup on our roster. Parker has been fantastic at safety. Long needs a little more seasoning, and we need to stop playing Rapp in the preseason; he's clearly ready.)

(No surprises.)

Great job, Memento. Love your two trades for picks. Would love a trade-for-player even more.

Only 3 nitpicks from me.

Blanton has to win me over in these next 2 games, big time. Otherwise, I prefer the “safe” Mundt. You may be prescient, or you may be out on a thin limb. Lol.

Pretty much the same thing with Hrynkiewicz. That 8th OL spot is not yet clear to me whatsoever.

Scott is gonna make the 53 somehow, some way. He just is. One of those 10 LB’s will have to go to make room, I guess. Durham or Reeder, perhaps.

Again, a terrific job, IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
..............Scott is gonna make the 53 somehow, some way. He just is. One of those 10 LB’s will have to go to make room, I guess. Durham or Reeder, perhaps.........
I would hope that this run defense has @ least one LB'er Troy Reeder who can deliver above average slipping & disengaging from blocks plus refrains from getting baited out of position. Our 2018 defense lack a ILB'er with those skills.

Wade just lost Micah Kiser who was supposed to offer some of what we lacked with Littleton/ Barron & Christian last year. I really like Hager on the roster however he lacks a good amount of what Reeder can do in the run defense........Nick Scott might be an outstanding ST'mer but he will not help the Rams with its run defense.....So I say lets keep Troy Reeder around just in case.....what you say @Rams43 ?

I concur with one change. Put Durham on the PS and keep Copeland on the 53 man roster.
If the Rams have not fixed their run defense in that front DL then rookie Copeland's effective run stopping skills along with his bit of nastiness will be needed badly. Keeping a DL'er like Tanzel Smart will not fix our run D issues.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I would hope that this run defense has @ least one LB'er Troy Reeder who can deliver above average slipping & disengaging from blocks plus refrains from getting baited out of position. Our 2018 defense lack a ILB'er with those skills.

Wade just lost Micah Kiser who was supposed to offer some of what we lacked with Littleton/ Barron & Christian last year. I really like Hager on the roster however he lacks a good amount of what Reeder can do in the run defense........Nick Scott might be an outstanding ST'mer but he will not help the Rams with its run defense.....So I say lets keep Troy Reeder around just in case.....what you say @Rams43 ?

If the Rams have not fixed their run defense in that front DL then rookie Copeland's effective run stopping skills along with his bit of nastiness will be needed badly. Keeping a DL'er like Tanzel Smart will not fix our run D issues.

Keeping Reeder is just fine by me, Bonifay.

I’m gonna trust these coaches to make the best informed final cutdowns. Ain’t gonna be easy, that’s for sure.

About Scott. It’s true that he won’t help our run D. But I think that he can be a demon on ST and help us win games in that way.

He stays. Hell, he’s a lock to stay.

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan

(No surprises.)

I like this list except for Blanton and Hrinkie.
I'd stick with Mundt and go with a guard instead.
Allen out Blythe in at center, sub in a guard.
Not feeling confident of Demby but willing to leave it to Kromer.
Wouldn't bet against an outside vet brought in.
BC

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
QB Goff - Bortles
RB Gurley - Brown - Henderson - Kelly
XWR - Woods - Reynolds
YWR - Kupp - Hodge - Webster
ZWR - Cooks - Bachman
TE - Everett - Higbee
LT Whitworth
LG Noteboom
C Allen
RG - Blythe
RT - Havenstein
O-line: Edwards, Evans, Demby
Offense 23

Darkhorse candidate-Chandler Brewer over Demby
add 3rd tight end, Johnny Mundt, roster cut-Bachman

DE Brockers - Okoronkwo
NT Gaines
DT Donald - Franklin-Myers
WIL Fowler - Carraway
OLB Ebukam
MIKE Littleton
ILB Matthews
LB - Hager, Allen, Patrick, Young
RCB Talib - Long, Hill
LCB Peters - Peterson
Slot Roby-Coleman - Darious Williams
FS Weddle - Rapp - Scott
S Johnson - Parker - Gervase
Defense 27

Major miscalculation leaving Wade favorite Morgon Fox off the list. Roster
cut - Gervase

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have watched Wade's defense for years. He went with only one NT on occasion in SD because he had players who could play the 3T. He really favors his double 3T and double 5T alignment a lot. Watch how quickly he will pull the NT. On most series, he pulls the NT on second down. Last year Suh played a lot more snaps than they wanted, but a lot of them weren't at NT but at 3T and even 5T.

Gaines can play at 3T as well as 1T so it will be interesting to see how he is used. Like I said it wouldn't surprise me if they simply didn't carry 2 NT's and went with at least one extra ILB like Patrick who played the run well from inside.

IMO Johnny Mundt is basically only a parttime ST's player. In 2018 he was in only for 40 offensive snaps, all as a blocker. That is only 3.6% of the offensive snaps and 26.7% of ST's snaps which is basically as a blocker on kicks. Bottom line is they don't need to carry 3 TE's. In this offense with 11 personnel, the slot receiver is their primary Y receiver with the TE as the secondary Y receiver. They could just as easily play with no TE and 4 WR's (Woods, Cooks, Kupp & Reynolds or 2 RB's). Malcolm Brown is a good pass blocker and a decent pass catcher. I could easily see them playing 2 RB's and no TE. If they pass Brown stays in as the 6th blocker and Gurley becomes an outlet receiver.

So by carrying only 1 NT and 2 TE's that opens up 2 roster spots for say another DB and LB. That makes more sense to me than carrying two guys that might not play. All with no real impact on the offense or defense.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod

(No surprises.)

I'm on board. There's not one thing I would change about that squad. Love the LB mix and totally agree on Hager. That bad angle he took on the Cowboys game sealed it for me. A Vet player just shouldn't put himself in that positon. In reality, he probably still makes the team for his ST abilities but I'm with you on this one.

Good job Mem.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
IMO Johnny Mundt is basically only a parttime ST's player. In 2018 he was in only for 40 offensive snaps, all as a blocker. That is only 3.6% of the offensive snaps and 26.7% of ST's snaps which is basically as a blocker on kicks. Bottom line is they don't need to carry 3 TE's
What happens if Gerald Everett or Tyler Higbee get injured.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Damn I thought I was being radical going 6/4 lol. But you know what, I love that group with 7 OLBs being rewarded with jobs and Patrick potentially giving that small ILB group another option.

I have nothing against Hager but yeah Allen & Reeder have upside and Patrick might be able to train up at that ILB job over time on the roster. Really wish the Rams would do that and put Carraway on PS assuming he clears waivers. (y)