Mettenberger Or Murray?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
David Fales, Brett Smith, Jimmy Garoppolo would be some options.
I kept reading a lot about Fales, but when I saw some of his highlights he really looked like he locked onto the receiver immediately. However, I did read that his peripheral vision is exceptional, so maybe that's why it looks like he is staring at one receiver?

SC-Ram78

Rookie
So did J Russell...same school too.
That's true. But are we talking about him going 1st overall? No way. So that really doesn't compare. J Russell was supposed to be a slam dunk because of his size and elite arm strength. We can grab Mettenberger in the 4. That's a huge difference lol

RFIP

That's true. But are we talking about him going 1st overall? No way. So that really doesn't compare. J Russell was supposed to be a slam dunk because of his size and elite arm strength. We can grab Mettenberger in the 4. That's a huge difference lol

True, I am just saying that although I prefer size, it doesn't always matter in a QB.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If your drafting for strictly back up, then either. Mettenbeger might have a little more upside. Don't see either becoming starters barring injury to the #1 QB

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He got locked up here in Valdosta for sticking his finger/s up a girl's pie in a bar. Evidently she had a pretty short dress on and they were both on the dance floor.

Who hasn't done that? OK - minus the nonconsensual part. :wow:

Apparently he actually grabbed her tits and ass. Must have been a little more than gratuitous to be told that he can never return to the city. Don't think I've ever even heard of that happening before.

Still - I think he would be my choice out of several of the options.

He was 19 and apparently uber drunk. He didn't wait for an investigation, instead he came forward and apologized and took his punishment. The DA even made a point of the fact that they rarely have a situation similar where they don't have to investigate because the person fesses up completely.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
If one of these guys slips to the 5th round then grab them then. Otherwise, I think we can get more value for our pick at other positions because I don't see these guys as starter talent and the injuries are not helpful for them either.

F. Mulder

Starter
If one of these guys slips to the 5th round then grab them then. Otherwise, I think we can get more value for our pick at other positions because I don't see these guys as starter talent and the injuries are not helpful for them either.
I think some had guys like Murray and Mettenberger as potentially solid NFL QBs before their injury. If they drop due to injury it would give them a chance to fully recover AND learn the offense from the bench while the Rams would be getting a potential solid QB. I wouldn't do it before the 4th but if someone were there in the 4th/5th grab him unless they have their eyes on someone in particular who is rated a little higher (which I would doubt) I can't see them drafting a QB before the 4th regardless.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think some had guys like Murray and Mettenberger as potentially solid NFL QBs before their injury. If they drop due to injury it would give them a chance to fully recover AND learn the offense from the bench while the Rams would be getting a potential solid QB. I wouldn't do it before the 4th but if someone were there in the 4th/5th grab him unless they have their eyes on someone in particular who is rated a little higher (which I would doubt) I can't see them drafting a QB before the 4th regardless.

Sure these guys have a lot of potential and they have been solid SEC QBs but you really expect that we would be drafting them as a backup. In the fourth round, there is still a decent chance we could snag a starter at another position. IMO, I save the duty of putting depth in the roster after we fill the big holes. I wouldn't be unhappy though if we did take one in the 4th if we traded for more picks and had one to spare.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If we can get a potential starter at QB in the 4th, I think we almost have to go for it. Mettenberger was projected as a first rounder before the injury. He is reportedly going to be healthy enough to participate in LSU's pro day so the Rams should be able to give him a good look. If he is viable starter material, he can do one of two things. Sit in the wings fully recovering and learning the pro game and thus becoming a real option in case of injury, or be excellent trade bait to a QB needy team should Sam light it up.

I personally would love to see a viable talent behind Sam ala Aaron Rogers behind Favre rather than a retread holding a clipboard while we hope and pray that he never has to enter the game.

A55VA6

Legend
I like McCarron.. but he'll probably go to early for the Rams to even consider. I'd take Murray over Mettenberger though.

Ramifications

I like Murray better, too. Good to see him at the Senior Bowl.

I'm a believer in Bradford, but we need to upgrade our backup situation, he has missed significant time in two of the last three seasons (and also most of another season in Oklahoma). They can't get caught with their pants down again like they did last season.

If Murray could be better than Clemens as important insurance for the most important position on the team, that is well worth a fourth or fifth round pick, and not IMO a luxury pick. It is a necessity. That said, I guess that is about the cutoff for me, definitely wouldn't spend a second, and hope we don't have to spend a third on a QB like him. Hopefully the ACL drops him a round or two, and he could be a bargain for us.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
QB's I would target in Rd's 4-6 are Mettenberger, Murray, Boyd and Conner Shaw. All very experienced. Height (as long as over 5'10") does not bother me as long as they can move in the pocket.