Memento's March Madness: An Early March Mock.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well, here we are, in March, less than two months from the most exciting NFL event other than the Super Bowl. But I digress: let's start the show!

Clay Matthews
Tanzel Smart
Jamil Demby

(Matthews has long overstayed his welcome. Smart and Demby are cut for both savings and because they aren't NFL-caliber players.)

Restructure:

Jared Goff
Aaron Donald

(Both restructures give us much needed cap space.)

Re-sign

Jalen Ramsey - five years, 84 million overall.
Cooper Kupp - five years, 65 million overall.
John Johnson III - four years, 48 million overall.
Andrew Whitworth - one year, 9 million overall.
Dante Fowler - franchise tag.
Morgan Fox - RFA
Johnny Mundt - ERFA
Nsimba Webster - ERFA
Kendall Blanton - ERFA
Coleman Shelton - ERFA
Marquise Copeland - Practice Squad
Greg Dortch - Practice Squad
Jachai Polite - Practice Squad
John Wolford - Practice Squad
Jeff Holland - Practice Squad
Adonis Alexander - Practice Squad
Nate Trewyn - Practice Squad
Ethan Wolf - Practice Squad

(Might as well get the Ramsey signing out of the way this year; pay the man to lock down one side of the field. It also makes sense to do an extension with Kupp and JJ3 because they'll be worth more on the open market. Whitworth looks like he'll re-up with us, so he's on this list. Morgan Fox is the only RFA who gets re-signed, and the others are ERFAs and practice squad candidates.)

Release:

Cory Littleton
Michael Brockers
Greg Zuerlein
Blake Bortles
Bryce Hager
Jojo Natson
Donte Deayon
Austin Blythe
Marqui Christian
Mike Thomas
Josh Carraway
Jeremiah Kolone

(Unfortunately, we can't keep everyone. That means that Littleton, as much as I hate it, will be let go, along with Brockers. Zuerlein goes to the Cowboys or Colts, who can both pay more than we can. Christian goes for an opportunity to start, as well as Bortles. The others, I'm fine with losing.)

Free Agency:

Forrest Lamp - two years, 5 million overall.

(Apparently, the Los Angeles Chargers have a voodoo curse upon them that gets all of their players hurt. Let's pick up Lamp from the scrap-heap after he gets cut by the Chargers. The contract is small and basically only one year, in case his injuries follow him here, but it could pay off in a big way.)

Trades:

Dante Fowler to the Miami Dolphins for 2020 second and 2020 fifth.

(Fowler is an excellent trade chip for us when it comes to Miami, where they have cap space, need, and fit.)

Robert Woods to the Indianapolis Colts for 2020 second.

(The Colts have nothing behind T.Y. Hilton. That, along with trying to compete in a division that's basically anyone's game, makes them able to send one of their two seconds to us for Woods.)

Gerald Everett to the New England Cheatriots for 2020 third.

(Yeah, I'm trading both Everett and Woods. Everett is in his final year, and we likely won't pay him. Here we get something for him from a team who desperately needs a decent tight end.)

Nickell Robey-Coleman and 2020 seventh to the Cincinnati Bengals for 2020 sixth.

(The Bengals need a nickel corner, and NRC fits the system. Makes sense.)

Rob Havenstein and 2021 sixth to the New York Jets for 2020 fourth and 2021 seventh.

(Havenstein is being sold low, but the Jets desperately need offensive line help, and I have a prospect in mind that's worth it.)

Malcolm Brown to the San Diego Chargers for 2020 sixth.

(The Chargers are likely going to let Melvin Gordon go to another team, so they're going to need a power back behind Austin Ekeler. Brown could be that back.)

2020 second (ours) to Washington for 2020 third, 2020 fourth, and 2020 seventh.

(Simple trade down with Washington to get more picks.)

Draft:

2nd (Dolphins) - Ross Blacklock, DE, TCU.

(Blacklock is such a good player. I'd prefer him at his weight of 305, but he's such a good pass-rusher and run-stopper that I don't know if I tell him that. Either way, he's your starting five-tech with Gerald McCoy potential.)

2nd (Colts) - Brandon Aiyuk, WR, Arizona State.

(I know y'all are upset that I traded away Woods. Aiyuk is basically a faster, younger Robert Woods. He's shifty, explosive, runs excellent routes, and catches the ball like his hands are made of glue.)

3rd (Washington) - Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn.

(Wanogho is a lottery ticket. I know what y'all are thinking: another Auburn Tiger left tackle so soon after Greg Robinson. He's nothing like Robinson. He's intelligent, a great pass-protector, and even though he needs work on his technique and push in the run game, I wouldn't be surprised if he was the left tackle of the future.)

3rd (Rams) - Tyler Biadasz, OC, Wisconsin.

(Biadasz is primed for a fall because other prospects have passed him up. I say that we're getting a steal here. He's got no weaknesses other than average athleticism. He's the kind of center you build your line around, and he'll start immediately.

3rd (Cheatriots) - Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota.

(Johnson falls this far because he's not the best tester. Personally, I'd sprint to the podium if I were the Rams and he were here. Johnson is such a silky-smooth route runner who has underrated athleticism and excellent hands.)

4th (Washington) - Leki Fotu, DL, Utah.

(Fotu is a big man who wasn't used correctly at Utah. He has better pass-rushing skills than one would think, even though he needs to work on it. His run-stopping skills, however, cannot be denied.)

4th (Jets) - Netane Muti, OG,/OC Fresno State.

(Muti is one of my favorite prospects in this draft class, even with his injuries. His mobility, strength, and nastiness are jaw-dropping. His injuries are admittedly a problem, but he has the potential to be a Pro-Bowl guard.)

4th (ours) - Alex Highsmith, OLB, Charlotte.

(Highsmith has eye-popping production, and he seems tailor-made to fit a 3-4. He's a good young player who should sit for a year because he needs work with technique and is coming from a small school, but the stats say it all.)

4th (compensatory) - Devin Asiasi, TE, UCLA.

(I wanted to put Okwuegbunam here, but after watching more of Asiasi, I prefer the latter. He needs to monitor his weight, but his movement and hands...damn impressive. The Alge Crumpler comparison is apt.)

5th (Dolphins) - Amik Robertson, CB, Louisiana Tech.

(Don't let Robertson's size fool you; he's one of the best ballhawks in the nation, and he's a feisty tackler to boot. He's not afraid to challenge bigger receivers, even in the slot; in my mind, he's a perfect replacement for NRC.)

6th (Bengals) - Thakarius "BoPete" Keyes, CB/FS/SS, Tulane.

(Keyes is a lengthy press-man cornerback who should fit right into our system. He's frustrating at times; you wish he'd turn his head around so that he can locate and make a play on the ball, but he's sticky, and you're not going to find a better man coverage corner at this stage.)

6th (Chargers) - Sewo Olonilua, RB, TCU.

(I'm telling you, Olonilua could be special. He reminds me a bit of Steven Jackson with his sheer height, size and power. He also catches the ball out of the backfield and pass protects well enough that a quarterback could remain standing. He had a felony drug charge against him, but given that he participated in the Combine, it's obviously been resolved.)

6th (Rams) - Cale Garrett, ILB, Missouri.

(Garrett is one of my favorite players to watch. He finished a game with a torn pectoral muscle, and he had a pick six in that very game, I believe. In fact, his coverage had improved greatly from his junior to senior year. Don't let the 40 time fool you; he's much faster in pads, and he's an incredibly intelligent player. Reminds me of Laurinaitis, both good and bad.)

7th (Redskins) - Justin Rohrwasser, K, Marshall.

(Here's our kicker of the future. I like Rohrwasser's leg, and unlike kickers like Blankenship, he'll be around in the sixth/seventh rounds and provide production just as good.)

Roster (bold = rookies; italics = starters):

QB: Jared Goff, John Wolford.
RB: Todd Gurley, Darrell Henderson, Sewo Olonilua,
WR: Cooper Kupp, Brandin Cooks, Josh Reynolds, Brandon Aiyuk, Tyler Johnson, Nsimba Webster, Greg Dortch.
TE: Tyler Higbee, Devin Asiasi, Kendall Blanton, Johnny Mundt.
OL: Andrew Whitworth, Austin Corbett, Tyler Biadasz, David Edwards, Bobby Evans, Forrest Lamp, Prince Tega Wanogho, Netane Muti, Joseph Noteboom.
DL: Aaron Donald, Ross Blacklock, Greg Gaines, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Leki Fotu, Morgan Fox.
LB: Samson Ebukam, Travin Howard, Micah Kiser, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Kenny Young, Natrez Patrick, Cale Garrett, Jachai Polite, Jeff Holland, Alex Highsmith.
DB: Jalen Ramsey, Troy Hill, David Long, John Johnson III, Taylor Rapp, Darious Williams, Jake Gervase, Amik Robertson, Thakarius Keyes, Adonis Alexander.
ST: Justin Rohrwasser, Johnny Hekker, Jake McQuaide.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
wow ! memento I don't know how you got so many draft picks. I tried to count them but can't count that high. anyway I think snead needs to check with you on how to get extra picks. I think you covered all our needs but how could you not with that many picks. great draft if you can find enough trade partners. keep em coming gives us something to talk about besides pineapple on pizza or who makes the best dognuts.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
LOL @ Netane Muti! He plays OLine like a linebacker. Loves to hit people and when he does, they're going down.

Even took down his own teammate in the end zone celebration!

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Re-sign

Jalen Ramsey - five years, 84 million overall.
Cooper Kupp - five years, 65 million overall.
John Johnson III - four years, 48 million overall.
Andrew Whitworth - one year, 9 million overall.
Dante Fowler - franchise tag.
How much do you intend to save on the Cap by restructuring Goff and Donald? Because I count almost 53-mil in new signings EXCLUDING Fowler. With the Rams somewhere near 20-mil at the moment, you're going to have to clear almost 30-Mil to do it. And, you will need at least 5.5 Mil for the Rookie pool. You may need overdraft protection.....

Tano

Legend
How much do you intend to save on the Cap by restructuring Goff and Donald? Because I count almost 53-mil in new signings EXCLUDING Fowler. With the Rams somewhere near 20-mil at the moment, you're going to have to clear almost 30-Mil to do it. And, you will need at least 5.5 Mil for the Rookie pool. You may need overdraft protection.....
I believe these are extensions and therefore do not count against the cap this year other than bonus money that you throw at them

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I believe these are extensions and therefore do not count against the cap this year other than bonus money that you throw at them
OK, I guess that would free up quite a bit of room. After checking @ overthecap.com, Goff and Donald combine for a 61-Mil Cap hit this upcoming season. If they are both Restructured or Extended, the result is the same ; they would save 36-Mil on the Cap this season. So, the original proposed FA scenario would work AFTER they made the proposed trades, because without them, they would still be over by approx 3-Mil. And, that leads to another question. Why would they push 36-Mil worth of Cap into the future? The Rams have a history of structuring contracts in a manner more of being front loaded rather than back loaded. With that said, restructuring BOTH Donald & Goff by pushing their Cap debt down the road seems unrealistic.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Like this mock. Good WR choices, lots of needs addressed. Especially C and WR.
Losing Woods and Greg da Leg makes me nervous, but I think you're right, I think Greg moves on to greener pastures.