Memento's "I Miss Gurley" Mock Draft.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well, Todd Gurley is gone. I'm sad to see him go, but if that means that we can sign Ramsey and Kupp, I'm all for it. Unfortunately, his knee condition prevented us from trading him for a pick, so I'll just have to be, ah...creative and draft a running back in the second round. Who is that running back? You'll find out soon enough. Anyway, here it is:

Trades:

Robert Woods to the Indianapolis Colts for 2020 second round pick (#44 overall).

(We need a high second round pick for the player I'm thinking about. Indy gets a receiver to pair with Hilton.)

Josh Reynolds to the Las Vegas Raiders for #121 overall.

(Yes, I'm also trading Reynolds, but don't worry; I have a plan. The Raiders desperately need receiving help for whomever their new quarterback is.)

#52 overall and 199 to the New York Jets for #68 overall and #79 overall.

(Stealing this idea from Jerry - that I modified a bit - because it makes sense. I expect the Jets to move up to get an offensive lineman.)

#84 overall and 234 to the New York Giants for #99 overall and #110 overall.

(Another idea from Jerry, only modified a bit. Giants move up for a receiver.)

#68 overall, #199 overall, #234 overall, and 2021 third round pick to the Detroit Lions for #35 overall.

(A player falls down the board that makes all kinds of sense in this mock, and Detroit is rebuilding and needs extra draft picks.)

Draft:

#35 overall (Lions) - Laviska Shenault Jr., WR, Colorado.

(Yeah, apparently, Shenault is falling down the draft boards. I say that we should trade up to get him. He's a big and gifted receiver who can burn you in all phases of the game. He's physical, quick out of his breaks for a bigger wideout, fast enough to be a legit deep threat, able to pluck the ball out of the air, and he is amazing when it comes to yards after the catch. The reasons he's falling are because of injuries (a torn labrum, turf toe, and a core injury at the Combine), inconsistency in his junior year, (possibly caused by poor quarterback play) and mediocre route-running (which should improve once he gets to know Cooper Kupp). He's very much a boom-bust player, but I love him as a prospect, and I'd be thrilled to have him.)

NFL Comparison - Sammy Watkins (in a good way).

#44 overall (Colts) - Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB, Louisiana State.

(Yes, the running back you've been waiting for is here. CEH is short at 5'7", not the fastest, and not the strongest. What does have, though? I'm glad you asked, because CEH has uncanny vision, unmatched balance, and amazing quickness. He's not going to go down with the first tackle, much like Devin Singletary, who I wanted in the 2019 draft. He has the same quickness and shiftiness as Darren Sproles in his prime. But CEH has the potential to be better than Singletary, better than Sproles. You'll see why when I make this comparison.)

NFL Comparison - Maurice Jones-Drew.

#79 overall (Jets) - Tyler Biadasz, OC, Wisconsin.

(Biadasz is my favorite center in this draft. He's not the most athletic, has had minor injury issues in college, and he struggled a bit in 2019. But I'm not looking at 2019; I'm looking at a powerful technician of a center who can flat-out move people in the running game and dominated against the run. I think his injuries are dragging him down, but I love this kid's potential.)

NFL Comparison - Travis Frederick (yes, I know Jerry had this comparison, but it fits.)

#99 overall (Giants) - Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota.

(Johnson is one of my favorite wide receiver prospects in this class. He's a crafty route runner, has sneaky speed, agility and acceleration, and he's got solid hands to go along with it. He didn't test well at the Combine, and he struggles with excessive physicality, such as blocking. But those things aren't important in the grand scheme of things. Johnson should be able to play immediately, whether injuries are a factor or if one of our wideouts needs a breather. He'll make sure that there's no drop-off in terms of the offense.)

NFL Comparison - Mohamed Sanu.

#104 overall - Leki Fotu, DL, Utah.

(Fotu is big and powerful at 6'5", 330 lbs. You would expect him to be a nose tackle at his size, but he can also play 5-tech, has surprising penetration abilities. and is a wall against the run. He's sushi-raw, however, and he'll need to be built from the ground on up when it comes to technique. He's probably going to learn behind Robinson and Gaines/SJD before he's ready, but if he puts it all together, he'll be dominant.)

NFL Comparison - Akiem Hicks.

#110 overall (Giants) - Netane Muti, OG, Fresno State.

(Muti is a mean dude on the football field. There's just no other way to put it. He's powerful, has surprising mobility for his size, and he's amazing in both run and pass blocking (he only gave up three pressures in his entire college career, according to PFF). What his problem is are injuries that have cost him most of his college career. He's had two Achilles injuries in his true freshman and sophomore years and a Lisfranc in his junior year that cost him all but three games. He's a project for sure, but if he stays healthy and puts it all together, we're talking about an All-Pro guard.)

NFL Comparison - Dan Feeney.

#121 overall - Willie Gay Jr., ILB, Mississippi State.

(Let me get this out of the way: Gay has significant character concerns. He was suspended eight games for cheating on a chemistry test, suspended for allegedly punching a teammate, and got ejected from the Egg Bowl after a bench clearing brawl (although, to be fair to him, he had nothing to do with the fight; he had a prior unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, and since everyone on both sides got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in that game, it meant he was ejected.) He's raw when it comes to diagnosing plays. Now let's go with the good: Gay is a hell of an athlete. He can stack and shed blocks. He can blitz. He can drop into coverage and spy on mobile quarterbacks. He's easily a first round talent. It's just the off-the-field stuff that pushes him to the fourth round.)

NFL Comparison - Lawrence Timmons.

Priority UDFAs:

Cheyenne O'Grady, TE, Arkansas

(O'Grady has the talent to be a star at tight end. He's got great hands, the speed to run away from linebackers, is a YAC threat who won't go down easily, and he's very versatile. The problem? Significant off-the-field issues: three suspensions and stepping away from the team (which the coach said was a mutual deal). I know that he has a lot of shit to take, but damn do I want another solid tight end behind Higbee (Everett is probably not going to be re-signed next year, so that's a problem.) O'Grady could take Mundt's job easily, although he needs work as a blocker, and as a UDFA, I think he's worth the risk.)

Jeff Thomas, WR, Miami.

(Thomas is another risk when it comes to character. He sulked when he didn't get the ball, and is definitely a diva. He's small and skinny, and he's not likely going to gain any more weight. But when it comes to speed? Hot damn, he can absolutely fly. He's a solid route runner, has value as a returner, and can create after the catch. I think he's a solid seventh wide receiver, behind Kupp, Cooks, Shenault, Johnson, Webster, and Dortch.)

James Robinson, RB, Illinois State.

(No, Robinson is not Olonilua (as I think that Olonilua will be selected in the draft.) He's a solid power back (5'9", 222 lbs.) who was basically Illinois State's entire offense over the past three years. He has a lot of mileage on him as a result, and he's not a fast back, which I think will scare teams away. Speed's not his game, though. His game is basically excellent vision combined with finding a hole in the middle that he can power through on short yardage. He's not just some bruiser, though; he's proven that he's a solid pass-catcher and an even better pass blocker. He'll be good enough to find a fourth (possibly third, depending on what happens with Brown) running back role behind CEH, Henderson, and Brown.)

James Pierre, CB, Florida Atlantic.

(Pierre is a work in progress. He's a great tackler for a corner, which will help on special teams. He's got good size and length. He has decent ball skills. His problem is that he's extremely raw in terms of actual coverage. He has the speed to play man, but he's simply lacks the technique to play cornerback right now. But as a developmental corner and a special teams player, I'm fine with the flaws for now.)

Nigel Warrior, FS, Tennessee.

(Warrior (love the last name) is an athletic deep safety who is known for laying the lumber. He has a problem with angles and ball skills; he could have a lot more interceptions if he simply knew how to play the ball. Still, there's a lot to like about him.)

Jared Mayden, SS, Alabama.

(Mayden is a very instinctive and hard-hitting strong safety who has had only one year of starting experience as a senior. Still, he's had experience at damn near every spot. He's not particularly athletic or rangy, though, which is why he falls to the ranks of the undrafted.)

Justin Rohrwasser, K, Marshall.

(Now for our kicker, as I don't think re-signing Zuerlein is in the cards at this moment. Rohrwasser is big and has a powerful leg. He struggled with accuracy early in his career, but he had an absolutely stand-out senior year for Marshall, including a few 50+ yard kicks. Will he have the range of Legatron? I doubt it. But I think we're going to go younger, and Rohrwasser is my bet.)

Roster: (Starters in italics; rookies in bold.)

QB - Jared Goff, John Wolford.
RB - Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Darrell Henderson, Malcolm Brown, James Robinson.
WR - Cooper Kupp, Brandin Cooks, Laviska Shenault Jr., Tyler Johnson, Nsimba Webster, Greg Dortch, Jeff Thomas.
TE - Tyler Higbee, Gerald Everett, Cheyenne O'Grady.
OL - Andrew Whitworth, Bobby Evans, Austin Blythe, David Edwards, Rob Havenstein, Tyler Biadasz, Netane Muti, Austin Corbett, Joseph Noteboom.
DL - Aaron Donald, A'Shawn Robinson, Greg Gaines, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Leki Fotu.
LB - Leonard Floyd, Samson Ebukam, Micah Kiser, Travin Howard, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Jachai Polite, Jeff Holland, Kenny Young, Natrez Patrick, Willie Gay Jr..
DB - Jalen Ramsey, Troy Hill, David Long, John Johnson III, Taylor Rapp, Darious Williams, James Pierre, Jake Gervase, Nigel Warrior, Jared Mayden.
ST - Justin Rohrwasster, Johnny Hekker, Jake McQuaide.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a fantastic draft. I might sweet muti for Bredeson only because of injuries but nothing to hate about this. The panic throughout Rams fandom if Bobby woods gets traded the, lmao.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lots of offense.

My three biggest gripes:

Trading Woods for what is basically a RB, I don't like - if it's an OL, I'd be more on board

If we are going to take a RB that high, might as well take the best one in the draft, JK Dobbins

The ILBs on the roster after your mock would render next season virtually meaningless. We're not winning 10 games with those ILBs.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
nice draft memento particularly the trade to get so many picks around the top 100. like that you went clear down into udfa. this would be a draft that could set us up for years. but so many have injury or discipline problems that its not likely all will work out. this is a draft a lot will like but i'm more into getting a ol that I could run behind. so anyway thanks for the hard work and keep them coming.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I have a tough time trading Woods, and then moving Reynolds whom I think is our in-house replacement of Cooks long term. Since enjoy your mocks tho, so keep them coming despite Mr. Negative over here

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know. It's a little too out there for me. One problem is us trading back with the Jets and then trading up using that pick for Shenault. The Jets aren't going to trade up with us before they know their guy is going to be available, so we wouldn't have the pick to make the trade up. I also am not in love with the idea of trading our veterans to start over with rookies. Yes, I'm okay with trading Woods or Reynolds (although, it makes less sense to trade Woods now), but trading both of them isn't something I love. FWIW, I love Tyler Johnson. Edwards-Helaire, Muti, Foku, Gay, and Shenault are all intriguing picks. Each has flaws I could pick at, but they're high upside players.

One other criticism is we're bringing a lot of guys with troubling character into the locker room. I'm not so keen on that. Thomas and O'Grady both have attitude problems. Gay Jr. is a knucklehead. Personally, I wouldn't pursue O'Grady.