Mel Kiper’s Mock Draft 4.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
Mel Kiper’s Updated Mock Draft [2 rds]: Shoring Up The Secondary for the Rams
By Brandon Bate

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/4/17/5624522/mel-kiper-mock-draft-rams

Mel Kiper Jr. released his updated 2014 NFL mock draft today [version 4.0] For those who don’t have ESPN Insider, have a look at his selections for the Rams...

The Houston Texans decide to take Jadaveon Clowney with the first overall selection, placing the St. Louis Rams on the clock at No. 2...

Round 1, Pick 2: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

If I'm making the pick, I'm willing to consider Sammy Watkins here based on need, and would also certainly consider the option of moving down a few spots if the offer is rich enough. But Robinson is one of the better offensive linemen to enter the draft in years, with the upside of an All-Pro at left tackle, capable of neutralizing the best pass-rushers and absolutely mauling defenders in the run game. St. Louis can select him knowing an impact wide receiver is still going to be available at No. 13 (and even beyond that given the depth at the position).

Round 1, Pick 13: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan St.

I'll get pilloried here for not making this a wide receiver, but do remember this is a very deep draft at that position, and getting the cornerback with the most diverse skill set in the draft would also really help this team. Dennard is ready to help an NFL team at a position where rookies tend to get beat up pretty bad early on as they adjust to the speed and talent level of NFL wide receivers. But Dennard can play on or off, attacks the backfield as a run defender, and can mirror routes as well as any CB in the draft. Yes, I think this could be Odell Beckham, too. We'll see.

Round 2, Pick 12: Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois

Ward can be special in coverage and fills a need for the Rams, as he can pair with the now healthy T.J. McDonald to shore up the back end of that defense.
For those wondering, Mike Evans and HaHa Clinton-Dix were both off the board by the 13th selection; taken by the Buccaneers [7] and Lions [10], respectively. DT Aaron Donald and FS Calvin Pryor were both available at 13.

In the 2nd round, Xavier Su’a-Filo went No. 43 overall to the NY Giants...one pick prior to the Rams. Notable players - or at least those often linked to the Rams - who were still available included: Louis Nix III, Pierre Desir, and Cyrus Kouandijo.
Nice job Kiper... for a change.