McVay’s growth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay is a great HC. It's nice to see many of the new hires working out. I was a little skeptical. It felt like a big risk. But I've never doubted that he's great at what he does. He was a godsend for us.

jjab360

Legend
Well yeah, on this forum too.

Here's a couple gems from @OntarioRam:

"Plenty of room on my anti-McVay bandwagon, boys."

"McVay is extremely arrogant. And not at all accountable. He makes the same mistakes repeatedly, yet gets upset at others for doing so. Always looking to point the finger at others"

"Should have promoted Staley to HC and booted McVay."

"Wtf. Goff is just as good as Stafford. And far younger. Awful trade. Do people still want to call me crazy for dumping on McVay?"

To answer the last question: yes, you are indeed crazy for dumping on McVay. Let us know when we can back up the truck full of crow.
Oof. That entire thread is pure entertainment for anyone who wants a trip down memory lane lol.

I will admit to some initial doubts, but I didn't have to wait until the season started to see the genius behind this move. All it took after the game was watching just a few recent Lions games to see the insane leap we just took. I'm sure the people reacting were going off the bulk stats comparison between the two, but the tape tells you a much, much more detailed story.

Sorry back on topic, I wouldn't trade any of those years and years of coaching futility and being the worst, most boring team in the league because they led us to where we are right now. I never thought I'd see the day when my Rams were a perennial playoff team and arguably the most exciting, aggressive team in the league for the foreseeable future. There's a life lesson in there somewhere.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
The Thread titled "Trade (speculation) Matt Stafford" started on January 24th and ran for 20+ pages.

It's a great read. The OP suggested the Rams offer John Wolford and a third round pick.

I responded a few pages in stating that Detroit would get much better offers than that ... I am very smart.

Unfortunately, I did not stop there, adding the Rams could not afford it ... I am also kind of stupid.

However, if you read through the thread, many of us were a little dopey.
Yeah, the "Trade (speculation) for Matt Stafford" thread has NOT aged well. Whole lot of posters saying "no way" to Stafford.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What I love about him is he's not gonna settle. He's got the highest of standards and if you can't meet them your ass is gone. You can hate him for it. You can cry about the players he kicks to the curb. But for me I appreciate it.

This guy is my favorite coach ever. Just the combination of the schematic ability, the teaching ability, the high standards, the grounded personality, and the constant push to improve to include himself. He's rare man. He's gonna win Super Bowls I just pray it's with us.

He's a "Franchise Head Coach" IMO. Those types only come around every once in a while.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What I love about him is he's not gonna settle. He's got the highest of standards and if you can't meet them your ass is gone. You can hate him for it. You can cry about the players he kicks to the curb. But for me I appreciate it.

This guy is my favorite coach ever. Just the combination of the schematic ability, the teaching ability, the high standards, the grounded personality, and the constant push to improve to include himself. He's rare man. He's gonna win Super Bowls I just pray it's with us.

He's a "Franchise Head Coach" IMO. Those types only come around every once in a while.
I know it’s early.. but the Carberry hire really looks smart.
Some thought he was making a mistake letting Wade go.
Looks to me like he learned what he could from Komer and Phillips and sought out fresher approaches. That’s some heady stuff.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah hiring assistants is no easy task. Not if you want to talk about hitting on them. No coach has had to deal with more plundering of his staff than McVay over the past four years it's kind of insane.

Carberry is definitely off to a great start man. Without a doubt. Henderson too with that DL those guys are playing some ball up front.

jap

Legend
Dislike the Leprechaun!?! Nonsense!!! Resistance is futile! You shall all be assimilated into the collective of the Leprechaun's Glee Club!!! :laugh2:

Last edited:

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love me some mcvay ..and while this doesn't apply to me or ever will .. I wouldn’t want to get in his bad book .. check Gurley and Goff for that .. I think as long as you’re producing for him he will be your best best friend but the minute you stop for whatever reason the door is there .. I’ve seen the meme “get someone who looks at you like mcvay looks at Stafford “ he used to look at goff like that too .. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing but I reckon he can be a little difficult to work with and for … but I want him here for a long long time

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay has been a great hire for the Rams no other way around it. He's made some bad coaching hires/promotions but he's made some great ones. He also seems to do a good job of empowering his coaches where a lot of other head coaches fail.

I'm glad he's calling the jet sweep that everybody has known was coming in certain situations a lot less so far this year though.

Tano

Legend
Yeah, the "Trade (speculation) for Matt Stafford" thread has NOT aged well. Whole lot of posters saying "no way" to Stafford.
I had changed my mind by the end of the thread.

I was just concerned at the value that we gave up.

I am seeing my concerned should have just been thrown into the dumpster jar.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I would be shocked if the Rams didn't have some extensive analytics behind their first round + as many comp picks as possible approach.
So many mid-rounders can be coached to high competency if an organization has a plan and patience. And that's what I believe we see with the Rams. They don't rely on 1st or even second rounders to become year one starters. Sure, sometimes rookies do, but it's not expected, so they don't throw players into situations that can damage their development.

The Rams have, I believe, 10 draft picks next year. 10.

Tano

Legend
I would be shocked if the Rams didn't have some extensive analytics behind their first round + as many comp picks as possible approach.
So many mid-rounders can be coached to high competency if an organization has a plan and patience. And that's what I believe we see with the Rams. They don't rely on 1st or even second rounders to become year one starters. Sure, sometimes rookies do, but it's not expected, so they don't throw players into situations that can damage their development.

The Rams have, I believe, 10 draft picks next year. 10.
Yeah but I always like the ability to trade down as well with the 1st round pick if a player they really like doesn't fall down into their range.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yeah them moving on from Goff was not a surprise to me. What was a surprise to me was how good Stafford was. When the trade was made I pictured him as a fat version of Jared who had been around longer, who might be better than him but at that cost I was not sure. Think I told my wife that day when I heard about it something along those lines too, I'm sure she was rolling her eyes as well since two years prior I couldn't shut the fuck up about Goff and how good he might get and how many Super Bowls we might win.

Then I started watching Stafford's games and realized my take on him was wrong. I was doing a whole lot of assuming. And for me this goes back to how nice it is to have a coach who is ahead of the curve. In the past 30 years for the most part the fan base has dealt with coaches where that was not the case so it's easy to get into that mode of expectation where you're waiting for the other shoe to drop.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

I didn't like the trade initially because of my perception that Stafford was injury prone, wrong, and I worried that availability compared to Goff could be an issue. Also I still think Goff can be great, it will take a bit. I also thought his head coach gave up on him early in the season around Miami and whiner's games. I thought the oline was the biggest issue. That it caused Goff to loose confidence caused him to act erratic. Plus a lot to give up in the trade.
Then after I left the board for a couple of months, I started to watch Stafford on You tube and prior to the draft I started to realize that Stafford could really be what we need. I still believe all those things about Goff above, but I also recognize, that it would be a tall order to coach out some of the bad habits Goff started to exhibit and could take way longer than any of us want to wait on.
Of course now someone would have to be an idiot not to like the trade to this point.