McVay was more upset after this game than...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
...he was after the loss to the Seahawks. This information is instructional.

Yes, he celebrated the win and gave due credit to his special teams, defense, and the Jag’s defense. Sean said all the right things as we, by now, can rightfully expect from him without exception.

But, my fellow Ram brothers, did you notice him dressing Jared down after a failed third down with a perfectly placed ball in Watkins’ mitts that was dropped? Sean must’ve thought the ball should’ve gone elsewhere. And how many times in his post-game press conference did he lament that the offense should’ve done MUCH better?

While I thought Goff was accurate on his throws, avoided interceptions, pulled it down and ran when necessary, and generally managed the game well...McVay knows better. He didn’t need to watch tape to know the flaws. What I like is that regardless of the W or L, McVay EXPECTS improved performance week in and week out. He didn’t expect AS MUCH out of the offense v the Redskins.

As he looks at himself, I can only fault him for two play calls. On third and one in the second quarter, he called a quick snap inside run to Gurley with Calais friggin Campbell stacked inside. EVERYONE in the stadium saw that play coming. C’mon Sean...you’re better than that. While the Everett holding call forced a first and 20 and Gurley was able to get 6 back, that slow developing Austin run to the edge was also too predictable based on the formation and lineplay. The ball fakes on the play action are also getting sloppy as Jared is increasingly far away from the player he is pretending to feed...but this is an execution issue which I believe will be Sean’s emphasis this week.

By playoff time, I would be shocked if this team isn’t one of the best in the NFL at executing their designed plays.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I hate to tell McVay that I wasn't really impressed with the play-calling.

Those out passes behind the line of scrimmage never have worked and they never will.
They are a waste of a Down.

Kind of predictable play-calling and not enough deep passes even though the protection was there they weren't running fly patterns were running "Ins".

The Jags D were keying on those short passes and really good coverage early on in the game.

But yeah, not Goff's best game.

At least McVay stuck with Gurley and you could see him getting stronger as the game went on.

Without those special teams scores though, we lose that game.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
I hate to tell McVay that I wasn't really impressed with the play-calling.

Those out passes behind the line of scrimmage never have worked and they never will.
They are a waste of a Down.

Kind of predictable play-calling and not enough deep passes even though the protection was there they weren't running fly patterns were running "Ins".

The Jags D were keying on those short passes and really good coverage early on in the game.

But yeah, not Goff's best game.

At least McVay stuck with Gurley and you could see him getting stronger as the game went on.

Yeah the offense wasn’t super impressive outside of Gurley. If he didn’t have a good game it would have been a rough day. The Defense was very good though. Outside of the 75 yard Fournette run I was pretty pleased. It forced Bortles to make plays which he didn’t do with any consistency. The D-line was great in this game. Bortles was having a tough time keeping possession during sacks which was great. I think it really rattled him when he was dropping back. Some things to work on still but to pull out a W in this game shows that this team is for real!!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah, I should have mentioned the defense nailing Bortles even when he did manage to throw.
It he got beat up pretty good.
I'm sure he's feeling it today.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The play sequences that bothered me were a pair of 2 and 4s, where the next 2 plays were passes. First time, a couple of ugly incompletions. Second time, Campbell crashes in for his 2nd sack, ruining the sequence and putting us behind the chains. A couple of runs, might have at least got a FG attempt. And they were not stopping Gurley (well except when they ran him right at Campbell......).

Last edited:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think we executed our gameplan. Nobody in the NFL has been able to pass on the Jags with any success so we stuck to the ground game and it was working. We sprinkled in just enough passes to keep them honest. If we were not protecting a lead late in the game, obviously our play calling would have been less conservative but I don't fault McVay at all here.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I don't know, I think Goff's accuracy has been spotty at best this season, good at the beginning of the year but perhaps has regressed some since the beginning of the year. He's still performing better than my wildest imagination though, even with that!

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know, I think Goff's accuracy has been spotty at best this season, good at the beginning of the year but perhaps has regressed some since the beginning of the year. He's still performing better than my wildest imagination though, even with that!

I’d like to know specifically which passes you thought were inaccurate this game? I saw a couple deep passes (Watkins and Higbee), but other than that?

Ram65

Legend
The two third and short 1 yard an less were bad. That hurry up offense isnt working there. Late in game went quick pitch to Gurley neeedinf 4 yards worked well. Zone coverage could have surprised Goff early. Those short throws yo Higs a waste early. Need to see tape of secondary. IIRC third quater Gurley got 6 yards on first down then he called 2 pass plays that went incomplete. They were moving the ball with the run. Should hsve kept running it. IDK how much credit goes to the Jags. McVay showed some emotion on his displeasure concerning the offense which is good for a change.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
" And if the Bear hadn't shit in the woods, it wouldn't have attracted Fly's!" We did get the Special Teams Scores! And the Rams are 4-2!!(y):yay::yess: And we will be 5-2 going into the Bye Week!!:mrburnsevil:

Curt760

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Curt760
Higbee pass yeah could have been better. One deep pass to Watkins should have had more air under it. Deeps passes though Goff has to throw ball before Watkins makes his last break so they just need more reps together on those long passes. Also that one pass where it appears to have gone over the wrong shoulder well looking at it again Goff threw the ball between two defenders. Safe choice just too bad Watkins wasn't able to adjust.

Stump23

Rookie
This was a tough game against a very, very good Jaguars defense. On the road....you need to win these types of games down in the trenches and we did just that. Goff isn't Tom Brady yet....Sammy could've caught one of the deep balls but we weren't going to win on that type of offense. McVay will always be tough on Jaret when warranted, which is exactly what he needs but he won't public dress him down a la Ditka/Tomczak. He will make his point and move on. Thi s is a very special team with a ton of momentum on all phases. Cards will be tough with AP, they have renewed life. We need to kick their butt to show our dominance in the division. Other than Fournette's big run (Johnson wishes he has that play to do over) the run D was stellar in a hostile environment on the road. Can't wait for Sunday.

A55VA6

Legend
Play calling could be better, execution could be better.. but atleast we're still winning games. I'm sure the offense will improve.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
The Jags, IMO, have the best secondary in the league. Better than Seattle. And they are young too.
If they had a QB they would be really good. We missed some opportunities for sure. Goff can't seem to hit Higbee on those long routes to save his life for some reason.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the announcers said it best ..we out jacksonvilled jacksonville ..... ill take wins however they come ..im just happy units are stepping up when the other falter ..

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Highest passer rating this season had been like 78. Goff booked an 86.
Only question I have is where are designed screen passes to 30?

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Other than Fournette's big run (Johnson wishes he has that play to do over) the run D was stellar in a hostile environment on the road. Can't wait for Sunday.

I think Barron wishes he had that play to do over, he got rag dolled.

…..

Legend
I thought we fed Gurley when we had to and though we didn't chuck it down field with wild abandon, also got the feeling Goff and McVay had no fear of the Jag pass defense. They took what they thought were the necessary shots downfield. It did seem like Goff audibled a Lot yesterday too, so quite a few plays got changed from the original call. We'll never know what was planned, but we know it makes it hard to get a rythem going when the play constantly gets changed at the LOS

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Really? I kinda like that....

I need to watch the 2nd half....

seemed like we could do what we wanted....within constraints of the pressure...#91 was a problem...for Whit....Campbell is Campbell...but our running game looked awesome...think we "out-thought" ourselves...quick snaps...predictable runs...

looks like a young team...young OC....defense looks like a veteran team....ST, with a huge personnel turnover, is improving as well..bet we draft a REAL punt returner next season.....in the 6th or 7th round I hope.
The Jags, IMO, have the best secondary in the league. Better than Seattle.
pretty spot on....I'd give Denver's "no fly zone" the #1 rank....Jags are a little faster than the seahawks...but seahawks are more physical...

I actually...from the first half...thought McVay was putting a holster on Jared....kinda reigning him in a lil....I mean...I watched a lil of that Seahawk game for the 2nd time...Goff was all over the place with his passes. This game, he refused to let him put the team in position to lose...lots of safe stuff..which is kinda disheartening...I like when we sling it around...only way to get better faster.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
the announcers said it best ..we out jacksonvilled jacksonville ..... ill take wins however they come ..im just happy units are stepping up when the other falter ..

Speaking of which (saw the game but no sound), how was Schlereth?