McVay to return in 2024

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I always thought he'd see this, uh, retool through. Why come back for what was thought to be a rebuilding season if you planned to walk away after it? Coaching is in his blood. If he ever walks away I guarantee he'd be back coaching somewhere in a couple years.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The last thing we’ve heard from McVay on the subject was that he will be coaching the Rams for a long time. I don’t translate that as a year or two.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
I have heard interviews with people that know him well. He was him seriously considering stepping down after the last Super Bowl is what they say.
All his coaches getting picked and then having to go get a bunch late after most were all gone was a issue for him.
But its a good issue I think, we won it all.
I've wondered if the ups-and-downs of 2019-2020 relative to his first two years and then last season's disaster (which admittedly I put mostly on injuries) were a result of constant coaching changes every single year.

I get why he lets guys go but at some point, were I him, I'd start saying "No," to wholesale coaching changes every fucking off-season.

Continuity matters.

Ellard80

Legend
He has only been a head coach 7 years.

Hopefully he is re-energized and has more longevity in him,

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
He has only been a head coach 7 years.

Hopefully he is re-energized and has more longevity in him,
Yet, he's the third longest tenured Rams head coach behind Knox and Robinson :explode1:

He's 7 regular season wins away from passing Robinson for Rams all-time wins as a head coach.

1704301976583.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's a generational coach. And he's a Rams coach. Once again if and when he wants to walk away I hope Stan offers him a team president or GM job because he'll be just as good pulling the strings from the front office and can itch that scratch still by being involved. Then if and when he wants to jump back in the arena have at it.

Ellard80

Legend
And yet, McVay is tied for 6th place on the longest-tenured current NFL Head Coaches.
Yeah because coaches get fired for losing.

Not that they burn out while winning.

I can't think of anyone in the past 30 years besides vermeil.

Vermeil also was not at the level of initial success that Mcvay had.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Glad to hear, Snead and McVay are a match made in heaven and the impact of rookies such as Nacua and Turner reflect that

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I'm happy of course but I do hate that this is a thing every year. Ecstatic for sure but just hate that it drags on and on and it's the media he said he's here for the long haul. The dude as really never been anything but straight forward so stop trying to be the first person or persons to break a story stop asking for at least a couple of seasons lol.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm happy of course but I do hate that this is a thing every year. Ecstatic for sure but just hate that it drags on and on and it's the media he said he's here for the long haul. The dude as really never been anything but straight forward so stop trying to be the first person or persons to break a story stop asking for at least a couple of seasons lol.
I’ve seen more comments about it on here than in the “media.”

JB asked a question, Sean answered.

It was a real thing last offseason… it’s clearly not, moving forward.

No reason to not ask that question.

What *I* don’t understand is why this bothers knowledgeable Rams fans even a little.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yeah because coaches get fired for losing.

Not that they burn out while winning.
I don't disagree with this. Merely a statement of facts. I always try to agree with facts.

My point was more that many coaches (and front offices) may not get enough time to lay a foundation for success. Seems like with many coaching (and front office) changes, there comes a re-set, and that often requires patience which is then rarely given.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I’ve seen more comments about it on here than in the “media.”

JB asked a question, Sean answered.

It was a real thing last offseason… it’s clearly not, moving forward.

No reason to not ask that question.

What *I* don’t understand is why this bothers knowledgeable Rams fans even a little.

Just a little I guess it's because it's tiring after a while after he repeatedly said as much but from a fans perspective it's like something you never want to deal with because he's been such a huge part of this from day one. Like anything else in life it would suck when that reality comes to but til then let's just take him at his word which he deserves and has always been upfront. I guess it's probably selfish of me but I'm betting many feel the same. Couldn't see another coach here but when the time comes then we deal with it lol

Ellard80

Legend
I don't disagree with this. Merely a statement of facts. I always try to agree with facts.

My point was more that many coaches (and front offices) may not get enough time to lay a foundation for success. Seems like with many coaching (and front office) changes, there comes a re-set, and that often requires patience which is then rarely given.
yeah maybe I needed to be more clear - but I think people understood what I was saying.

He is young and successful - people don't typically quit things at that point.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Its these young players that will keep him energized and loyal. His players, his picks, his guys, his schemes and let them flourish .
Then there is the fun factor of youth. If Puka gets the ROY award his smile and perceived happiness will have something to do with it. Human nature is real, its hard to not like the kid.
I can only hope the "Fuck them picks" is thing of the past.
A high quality deep bunch of draft picks is as much of a LA RAMS tradition as great running backs, talented O linemen and a dominate D line as anything else.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yet, he's the third longest tenured Rams head coach behind Knox and Robinson :explode1:

He's 7 regular season wins away from passing Robinson for Rams all-time wins as a head coach.

View attachment 63514
Knox's record demonstrates how good he was during his first tenure. He had 11 wins and 21 losses that second time around. The guy had five consecutive seasons with double digit wins but no title in that first look.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

He is young and successful - people don't typically quit things at that point.
Also agree but $100 Million to watch and discuss one football game a week for five months is a pretty sweet gig.

Personally, I would do it for $100 and the post-game buffet … provided I can bring tupperware.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also agree but $100 Million to watch and discuss one football game a week for five months is a pretty sweet gig.

Personally, I would do it for $100 and the post-game buffet … provided I can bring tupperware.
Allen2McVay arrives for work…

IMG_7708.jpeg

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I love coach Mcvay.

But there is no way I can watch his show. A lot of words and that's about it.

dang

Legend
I’m convinced that McVay coming back this year was a commitment to at least 3 seasons. This year was a retool (infusion of young inexpensive talent). Next year targeted to upgrade at key positions (LT/OC, Edge1, CB1). Add some depth at other positions (ILB, WR, CB, S). Then a 2 year run back to the top of the NFL.