McVay Press Conference 12/26/17 might rest some starters

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
guinness-brilliant1.jpg

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Sounds a lot like we'll be seeing a good deal of Littleton and Hager in the middle against the 49'ers if McVay intends to rest both Barron & Ogletree.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

You know @Merlin, I enjoy beating the 49ers so much that as of yesterday I really wanted the starters to play for at least 3 quarters and squash the niner hype train..

After gathering my thoughts and listening to McVay put it in reality, I'm rolling with him and his staff to know whats best for this team to make a deep playoff run.

Even if the 49ers were to win this game against a one handed Rams team, nobody will care much if McVay's Rams are playing in the NFC Championship game and a victory from a Super Bowl birth.

Coach is wise beyond his years with a calmness and sometimes extremely intense.
r303680_576x324_16-9.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
After gathering my thoughts and listening to McVay put it in reality, I'm rolling with him and his staff to know whats best for this team to make a deep playoff run.

I recall hearing Polian discuss his second year with the Colts in an interview some time back, how they argued in-house all week long about resting guys vs getting a higher seed (they actually did have a chance to get a higher seed depending on another team) and eventually elected to play their guys in the hopes things would go their way. What ended up happening is during the game they decided to pull their best pass rusher Bennett but he blew his knee out before they could get him pulled.

I love listening to Polian and he's mentioned that more than once as a huge regret, since he felt like that team might go all the way. Always stuck with me and that's not the only story I've heard of that nature. Every team has a handful of guys they cannot afford to lose, guys whose loss changes everything. Those are the guys you absolutely have to rest if you can. Off the top of my head our list is Big Whit, Goff, Gurley, and defensively AD and Tru. Usually it's a DE, but since our edge rush is weak AD is critical.

And if we lose and slide to 4th seed we have a chance of drawing the Eagles. Win-win IMO.

TexasRam

Legend
I recall hearing Polian discuss his second year with the Colts in an interview some time back, how they argued in-house all week long about resting guys vs getting a higher seed (they actually did have a chance to get a higher seed depending on another team) and eventually elected to play their guys in the hopes things would go their way. What ended up happening is during the game they decided to pull their best pass rusher Bennett but he blew his knee out before they could get him pulled.

I love listening to Polian and he's mentioned that more than once as a huge regret, since he felt like that team might go all the way. Always stuck with me and that's not the only story I've heard of that nature. Every team has a handful of guys they cannot afford to lose, guys whose loss changes everything. Those are the guys you absolutely have to rest if you can. Off the top of my head our list is Big Whit, Goff, Gurley, and defensively AD and Tru. Usually it's a DE, but since our edge rush is weak AD is critical.

And if we lose and slide to 4th seed we have a chance of drawing the Eagles. Win-win IMO.

Yea unfortunately you will have to play some starters, because on some units such as Oline for example, you just don’t have enough backups.

I predict the following will sit:
Whitworth
Sullivan
Goff
Gurley
Kupp
Woods
Donald
Brockers
Quinn
Barron
Olgeltree
Tru
NRC
Joyner

The following might also sit:
Saffold- if you carry another lineman.
Watkins
Barwin
Hill
J Johnson

We may have to make an extra lineman active for game day

Ellard80

Legend
I'm mixed about this. Injuries are definitely a real risk... but momentum is huge in football also.

But McVay has pushed the right buttons mostly...

However Sunday is going to be one horrible day of football.. no fantasy and the rams playing a pre-season game

Yuck

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd rather keep momentum going. Let them play half the game.

I don't see how you sit Brockers and Donald when the Dline is a full rotation. Saffold was injured, so how do you decide between him and the old guys? Woods might need more time to heal. Maybe Barron.

Sitting starters has its limitations with a limited roster.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A player can get injured walking across the field.....It's all a crapshoot as to whether a player will get injured by playing or not. We are basically forfeiting a game to the Niners after I've told Niner friends that their collective asses are about to get kicked. They won't care that we are resting some starters....they will crow about this until 2018 no matter how well the Rams do in the playoffs.

SUMBICH

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A player can get injured walking across the field.....It's all a crapshoot as to whether a player will get injured by playing or not. We are basically forfeiting a game to the Niners after I've told Niner friends that their collective asses are about to get kicked. They won't care that we are resting some starters....they will crow about this until 2018 no matter how well the Rams do in the playoffs.

SUMBICH
Meh just tell themthey beat a bunch of back ups ...enjoy getting ready for the draft we got a playoff game to win

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

SUMBICH

just ask them who they're rooting for in the playoffs.

ahhh, it feels so good to say that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Thanks for this post Florida_Ram!! This is a very important "Must Hear Presser!" McVay makes it very clear what his approach is and why!!

MY Take;
* He doesn't care weather we are 3rd or 4th Seed!
* He will rest certain key Players to be ready for our Home Playoff game and beyond!
* We will do what ever it takes for a WIN against the 49ers!

Simply put, just my personal take!

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I'd rather keep momentum going. Let them play half the game.

Ask the players if they'd rather play a seemingly meaningless game versus having another bye week to rest and recover from injuries (which everyone has at this point in the season) before the playoffs. I'd guess the latter.

Look what happened to the Raiders last season. We're in that same exact boat if something happens to Goff, Gurley, Whitworth, etc.

We're the third seed, lowest we can go is the fourth. The difference is playing Seattle, Carolina or New Orleans, depending on who wins the NFC South.

Seattle will beat the Cardinals. NOLA will beat the Bucs. Carolina will beat the Falcons. If we lose to the 49ers, we'll be the fourth seed, and in this scenario, that has us playing against the Panthers in the wildcard. I'm fine with that.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I was very happy to hear we are resting some guys. We have 3 playoff games as opposed to 2 for the Vikes and Philly. I like how McVay looked at our performance after our bye to help make the decision. Let's go into this as physically healthy and rested as possible--our guys seem to know how to stay focused and sharp.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every team has a handful of guys they cannot afford to lose, guys whose loss changes everything.

Nice post and I’m on board with this. We’re seeing it first hand with this GZ disaster. Let’s get to the playoffs somewhat healthy. If the RAMS were to lose just one of their core players it would be a huge setback heading into the wild card round. The 49ers will be looking for blood and we can’t afford any cheap shots on any of our premium players. I believe McVay will have them ready to compete and play good football and get the W even with sitting some key players.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I think it is dangerous to look ahead... but this exact thought has been on my mind.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sure wish the Rams still had QB Brandon Allen to be the backup in this because what happens if Mannion gets hurt? Rams will put in Goff? Have a feeling Rams will activate one of the OL off the practice squad and the OL could look like this:

LT....Williams
LG....Neary (PS)
C...Blythe
RG...Brown (only starter)
RT....Lucas

They put Longacre on IR, so they have an extra spot on the 53, just hope Mannion survives.

BadCompany

Rookie
I'd rest the whole freaking team, if I could.

We've been very lucky with regards to injuries, for most of the season. But in the last couple of weeks that lucks seems to be changing, what with the losses of Zuerlein and Longacre. Obviously not as bad as some teams, but still, why tempt fate?

If we had that first round bye, would we still be talking about losing momentum? Or would we be saying how fortunate we are to go into our first playoff game rested and healthy? Treat this last game as a bye week, and thank our lucky stars that we are in a position to do so, is what I say.