Mcvay can also be befuddling!!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This is crazy. The Rams should have won every game against this fucking poser of a team, except maybe the first game this season.

Bear with me.

1st game 2019

The Rams should have bitch slapped that shit team. Whiners first possession they were on 3rd down. Rams force an incompletion. The flag comes out. Fowler was offside, even though he was nowhere near anything that happened. 1st down and they drive down the field for a td.

Just before the half Jimmy g throws the ball into Littleton's stomach for a pick 6. Except he drops the ball.

Just after the half Henderson is given the ball for what shaped up to be a big chunk play. Except he dropped the ball. Turnover inside the 10.

Then it all went pear shaped with the oline. Game over. The Rams could have had a 3 score lead instead of being a score behind with no oline.

2nd game 2019

Had the whiners at 3rd and 16 twice at the end of the game and let them complete both. Disgusting.

1st game 2020

Goff missed some throws, Kupp of all people dropped an easy td catch. Don't remember the score but remember that the Rams should have won the game if not for all the mistakes.

2nd game 2020

Goff had a shocker. The defense kept the Rams in the game. Goff managed to get the team into the lead late but then when the team needed to defense to close out the game they let the back up qb drive down the field twice for fgs. The last one being the game winner.

1st game 2021

Blown off the Park.

2nd game 2021

No need to go over it.

This shit team is fucking shit. The Rams just fucked themselves multiple times.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Man I do not have time but someone had to do it.

Record when the defense had to close the game (either bc the offense left them time or failed to close out the game) - opposing team trailed by one possession or less under two minutes and had the ball:

2017 - 3-0 - Niners, Cowboys, Titans

2018 - 3-0 - Vikings, Seahawks, Chiefs - defense was destroyed in all three games but closed the door and prevented a game tying drive - TWICE against the Chiefs

2019 - 2-0 - Browns, Cardinals

2020 - 3-1 - Cowboys, Bills, Giants, Bucs - only loss to Buffalo which required a sketch DPI on Williams

2021 - 3-0 (before last week) - Colts, Cardinals, Ravens

Cardinals 2021, Cardinals 2019, Browns 2019 and Vikings 2018 were nearly identical to last week - opponent down 7 and with less than optimal time to score. A slew of games teams just needed a FG to tie or win.

McVays record in these instances before Sunday was 14-1, with the one being a play where he said "great job defense".

Some of those games came where the defense wasn't playing well - Vikings and Chiefs come to mind.

But we have Aaron fucking Donald. The Niners defense was destroying our OL all game. It's a no brainer to me still.

If you don't trust your d to close out the game, to me, no point in having Aaron Donald.
This

The loss was not on what the offense didn't do. The loss was on the defense. I seriously doubt the 31 other teams would lose a game with less than a minute and half, the other team without timeouts and needing to go 88 yards. How those receivers were so wide open is beyond me. Inexcusable. If it was because two guys were out why didn't the replacements know their assignments on that winning touchdown? No one was in the same area code. That was poor coaching.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Steve Young proving once again that if you wait for the results before posting your opinion, you can pat yourself on the back. Because that's all its worth.
He basically said that the Rams played a perfect 1st half, and that they should have changed their strategy for the 2nd half. Brilliant. If Young espoused they changed their strategy for the 2nd half, he could criticize them for going away from what was working
Its funny how some people consider that the only "aggressive" football is with offense.
It wasnt conservative giving San Fran the ball at their 12 with 1:27 left and no time outs, it was aggressive. The panic move would have been forcing a 3rd down play to try and make a 1st down. (See: 1st half, 3rd and 1)
If we're afraid of Jimmy Garoppolo in that situation then its hopeless.

TXRams86

The Infamous
I don't think I can really dispute anything that Young said. The only comment I'll make about the defense is that McVay lacked situational awareness on that drive. His defense was gassed, they were down a number of players and the second half showed that Rat Face had adjusted his offense to the look of our defense. All these things considered, he still decided that our best chance at winning this game was leaving it in the hands of the defense.

McVay as a play caller can be pretty frustrating at times. It's becoming more and more apparent that he doesn't game plan for specific opponents - there's plenty of evidence to support this, most recently the comments made by Von Miller who said he was surprised seeing that we don't change the way we prepare for games. McVay attacks the opponent's defense the same way, game in and out, because he's so confident in his offensive scheme and the team's ability to execute. I think where he's missing the number is back to what I said before: situational awareness. Woods goes out, change the offense up a bit. You have Ben Skow in, change the offense up a bit. Your defense is getting the shit pounded out of them? Get a little more aggressive on offense to keep the game out of their hands. Backed up in your own red zone? Probably not the best time to go with an empty set play call and show your hand.

But what do I know?

gogoat1

Starter
Name
Troy
Why would anyone other than a 49ers troll photoshop that?
Please, I can name every starter on the Rams 79 Super Bowl team from memory. Offense and defense.
I have watched more Rams game than you and know more about the Rams and their history than you and all the people who liked your post.
McVay, can we trust him at this point ? He has lost 6 games in a row to the Niners and I live live in Niner country. Those people would not even show their faces until Joe Montana showed up. And I was at Candlestick in 81 to see Ferragamo, Tyler, Youngblood, Bill Bain and lose their first game there and the division title in years.
This is a thread about Mcvay and his problems and I am ticked off. And on this "go for the first down or give it up to the defense" question, I am not wrong on this.
Going into the playoffs, it gives me a uneasy feeling. The "most talented" team just could be held back by its coach.
What Miller said, well, I highly doubt Belicheat runs his team like that.
Go RAMS, I think we can get by the Cards. I work nights so having the game in that time slot sucks. I will have to avoid some people all nite.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This

The loss was not on what the offense didn't do. The loss was on the defense. I seriously doubt the 31 other teams would lose a game with less than a minute and half, the other team without timeouts and needing to go 88 yards. How those receivers were so wide open is beyond me. Inexcusable. If it was because two guys were out why didn't the replacements know their assignments on that winning touchdown? No one was in the same area code. That was poor coaching.

Your right dude but the point here is not that it's the offense's fault more the play calling. If we here on this board know the middle of field for us is a death zone and then you lose your two safeties you thank von Miller and the defense even though they got ran over but they made that last stop and you take your best play as a so called offensive genius and you go for the throat. Do not under any circumstances give them life especially after you did the very same thing ending the half. To further compound it your putting an already wounded defense out there basically 1 minute later.

I'm not hating on mcvay I do think many situations were botched by play calling and we know mcvay is smart enough to know Morris is overmatched outclassed so he needed to take the reigns be aggressive and end the streak and those losers. This dude as not one of his better days Morris is just awful but I definitely think Shanny is in his head without a doubt.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Please, I can name every starter on the Rams 79 Super Bowl team from memory. Offense and defense.
I have watched more Rams game than you and know more about the Rams and their history than you and all the people who liked your post.
McVay, can we trust him at this point ? He has lost 6 games in a row to the Niners and I live live in Niner country. Those people would not even show their faces until Joe Montana showed up. And I was at Candlestick in 81 to see Ferragamo, Tyler, Youngblood, Bill Bain and lose their first game there and the division title in years.
This is a thread about Mcvay and his problems and I am ticked off. And on this "go for the first down or give it up to the defense" question, I am not wrong on this.
Going into the playoffs, it gives me a uneasy feeling. The "most talented" team just could be held back by its coach.
What Miller said, well, I highly doubt Belicheat runs his team like that.
Go RAMS, I think we can get by the Cards. I work nights so having the game in that time slot sucks. I will have to avoid some people all nite.

I took the night off, otherwise would be working too.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Never thought I'd say this but Steve Young is right. Yes Morris is not good and needs to go but as much as I love Mcvay he also isn't pulling his weight as much as he should. He isn't a player he can't impose his will with a clipboard. He supposed to be a genius see things that others don't mismatches etc. You have got to mix it up then other things will open up. Run yes short passes slants etc. Makes me sad but he seems to be stubborn as a mule and maybe that is a problem that has not been made public but if you constantly do the same shit over and over we all know it's the definition of insanity. What young said about the 3 running plays I echoed the same sentiments that's not playing to win. You were scared to lose.

To me it's not the 3rd and 7 as much as any of those downs you try and get that first don't give me the Stafford toe thing because he kept playing and moving. Lastly for me as a coach you know your defense has been a siv now at that particular moment you want them to win you the game when you full well know your down Fuller and Rapp. I truly believe what I've been saying it's like hot potato between offense and defense no I don't want it you take it etc. The fact Young says we played it like the jaguars is spot on I can't disagree love or hate him he is right.

Still does not excuse the defense at all but if your not working in unison your not going to win. Defense shorthanded you need to win with your offense. Had the defense stayed on tact and Stafford or kupp got hurt then yea your defense has to step up. Team game.

So much of the 49ers’ comeback win over the Rams, a team which had never blown a halftime lead under Sean McVay prior to Sunday — let alone a 17-3 lead at the half — begs the question: how? How did this happen?

How were the 49ers not just able to come back, but to come back again, even after Jimmy Garoppolo’s late interception and a punt with less than two minutes on the clock?

Legendary quarterback Steve Young joined the “Tolbert, Krueger and Brooks” show on Wednesday, as he does every week, to provide his thoughts on all things 49ers, including the comeback. Young took issue with McVay’s decidedly conservative decision-making to end the game, as well as his second-half approach.

Young first credited an “elegant,” purposeful first half that he deemed as planned out with clear intent.

But in the second half, he took aim at a lot of deep dropbacks, saying the Rams should have gone to more of a quick-game offense with Stafford being pressured consistently.

“The second half, you can see that the 49ers are gaining momentum, and you’re going to take the deep drops to try to get it to Odell Beckham Jr. and then Stafford is trying to climb in the pocket and just disappearing,” Young said. “Like the pocket just disappeared, right? The Rams have a short game. They have a game to get out, get people running, get people moving, get it in people’s hands in space.

“Get OBJ to have the ball in space, have we not figured that out in two months? Can we not get Cooper Kupp – he’s tremendous within five, seven yards. Like, find spaces, get moving. I was like what are you guys doing, dropping deep, getting jammed up?”

But what confounded Young the most was the end of the game, and that was without mentioning the Rams failing to use their final timeout to try and get into field goal range.

Los Angeles got the ball back with 1:50 on the clock, with the 49ers holding all three timeouts. What followed, Young said, blew his mind, given that a first down would have ended the game.

“You can’t tell me there’s not an All-Pro, first-round draft choice quarterback, a couple of great receivers and you’re just going to run right into the line three times, make them call their timeouts and punt? That’s what the Jaguars would do or whoever!” Young said. “Are you not going to go win this? Go win it! You’re the Rams! You’re going to win the division! Go win it! So it says a lot to me that they didn’t go win it. What is that? It baffles me.”

After Tom Tolbert suggested that Stafford was being hit consistently and looked shaky in the second half, Young responded, saying that was an indication that McVay lacked faith in Stafford.

“You just basically said it for us,” Young said. “We don’t trust him. We don’t believe. You’ve got a guy that’s played 12 years, has seen all the worst of the worst in the NFL and he can’t put the golden shoes on and go do it? Oh yeah, let’s protect him. What are you doing? Brutal, brutal.”

The only thing I find befuddling about McVay was that he ran 3 straight times and didn't pass on 3rd down to seal the game.

He played it safe and trusted the defense.

It was an Epic conservative gable that failed.

I doubt he does that again in the playoffs if the Rams are in a similar situation.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
The only thing I find befuddling about McVay was that he ran 3 straight times and didn't pass on 3rd down to seal the game.

I doubt he does that again in the playoffs if the Rams are in a similar situation.
It is the running 3 times while averaging under 2yds per carry from the RB's that seemed especially conservative.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
unpopular opinion, but i really dont think mcvay is that great of a playcaller and doesnt really live up to the hype hes gotten. Great play/scheme designer (maybe the best) but he continuously seems to make mistakes in play calling, typically abandoning the run too early if get behind early in the game. dont get me wrong, i love mcvay and think hes a great HC but personally would love to see him give up playcalling in the future

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The good news is McVay and his staff have forgotten more about football than any of us will ever know

TXRams86

The Infamous
unpopular opinion, but i really dont think mcvay is that great of a playcaller and doesnt really live up to the hype hes gotten. Great play/scheme designer (maybe the best) but he continuously seems to make mistakes in play calling, typically abandoning the run too early if get behind early in the game. dont get me wrong, i love mcvay and think hes a great HC but personally would love to see him give up playcalling in the future
I think that’s a fair take, I too think he could do better as a play caller. Without a doubt he does an amazing job drawing up plays that work. One thing I’d love for McVay to use a bit more are the analytics data to help his play calling decisions.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He has never been a gambler. He plays the percentages. It's just in the past we blamed that on him not trusting Goff, but I think he really did look at that as the most likely outcome is they won't go 90 yrds vs his defense especially since they couldn't run it. So why take the chance of a turnover or handing them one of their time outs which increases their odds to score.

Really one sack early in that drive and its just about over... They just didn't make a play.

Now I agree I would of moved the pocket and had a safe pass play where you pass it or eat the ball, but its hard to argue with how well McVay has held onto leads during his tenure.

I was more upset at the end of the half where he didn't play it safe, where he went empty and Stafford got sacked. Led to three points and the big momentum shift.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Steve Young proving once again that if you wait for the results before posting your opinion, you can pat yourself on the back. Because that's all its worth.
He basically said that the Rams played a perfect 1st half, and that they should have changed their strategy for the 2nd half. Brilliant. If Young espoused they changed their strategy for the 2nd half, he could criticize them for going away from what was working
Its funny how some people consider that the only "aggressive" football is with offense.
It wasnt conservative giving San Fran the ball at their 12 with 1:27 left and no time outs, it was aggressive. The panic move would have been forcing a 3rd down play to try and make a 1st down. (See: 1st half, 3rd and 1)
If we're afraid of Jimmy Garoppolo in that situation then its hopeless.
I dunno, Fuller and Rapp were out and the defense was on the field the entire 2nd half, there was little pass rush. So, either, go for it and throw on 3rd down, or 2nd for that matter, and possibly win the game, or rely on your defense which has given up 14 pts and is missing 2 starters. If the throw is incomplete you still have to rely on the defense, they still have time to work with, they just have 1 TO instead of none which didn’t seem to bother them much.
The 3rd down play in the first half wasn’t panic it was arrogant, everyone watching and playing that game knows there is no possible way to run the ball in that formation, even if you are determined to throw there’s a hundred things you could do without announcing your intent to everyone.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Can't disagree with anything he said. McVay constantly tries to get the big play when he's down, and its infuriating. Take what you can get and move the chains.

Actually I'll say I disagree with McVay not trusting Stafford. If it was mcvay that wanted Stafford to throw the ball down field on the last play of the game, that tells me he does trust Stafford, not the opposite.

Flint

Pro Bowler

You’re not supposed to be able to catch and run 40 yds in that situation, if the tackle is made after 10 yds how does the game play out?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno, Fuller and Rapp were out and the defense was on the field the entire 2nd half, there was little pass rush. So, either, go for it and throw on 3rd down, or 2nd for that matter, and possibly win the game, or rely on your defense which has given up 14 pts and is missing 2 starters. If the throw is incomplete you still have to rely on the defense, they still have time to work with, they just have 1 TO instead of none which didn’t seem to bother them much.
Well, there was pass rush prior to the tying drive, and JG's passing game was pretty ineffective up to that point (180 yards, 2 int). But to your point about the 49ers 2nd half TOP dominance, that was the run game. That's exactly why a single time out makes a huge difference. They have a TO and the Rams have to account for the run game.
Either way, the point is beaten to death enough.
They lost the game and whatever call was made at the time would have been criticized if it didnt work out.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I need a favor from you photo-shop guys.
What I need is for someone to make up a picture of McVay with a T shirt that reads "Shanahan,s Bitch".
I hear he doubled down on not going for the first down that would have ended the SF game with a win.
Lets see, if you give you offense a chance to win the game with a simple 1st down that is exactly double the odds of giving up and letting your defense give it a shot.
Not a rocker scientist but DOUBLE is a good thing.
What are the stats for the Rams going 3 and out in a game vs possessions ? Pretty good I bet. I would imagine they get at least one 1st down in a series is at least 66%.
Whatever number that is, THAT is the odds of the Rams winning that game at that moment with just the offense.
Please make me a pic, McVay deserves it. Luv ya bro, but you have to get it right.
I am not wrong on this.
As a long time photoshop user and someone who could make a logo on anything look totally authentic... hard pass, bruh. :sleep: