Mayock: Bryce Petty 'might be most natural thrower' in draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
I think even Davis is better off as an NFL QB than any guys not named Winston/Mariota.

A rookie QB outside of those two isn't going to do shit in the NFL this year. Probably not next year either even. Why waste that then? Next year, at least, you have a guy you might sell the moon for.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think even Davis is better off as an NFL QB than any guys not named Winston/Mariota.

A rookie QB outside of those two isn't going to do crap in the NFL this year. Probably not next year either even. Why waste that then? Next year, at least, you have a guy you might sell the moon for.

I am sure teams do advance scouting and have a good handle on who will be available next year. I guess it comes down to whether or not a GM/Coach really likes what they see in Petty and believe he can be a good NFL starter. If you like him enough you pick him and live with your choices.

The trouble is that the Rams may need a QB now. Like I said, if Foles doesn't impress do they give him as much as some other team that has his 2013 season stuck in their heads? Then do they role with Keenum? I guess they would need to think that Petty could be better than what they have on the roster. Is he going to be better than Keenum or Davis? In your opinion the answer seems to be no. If they share that view then they should definitely pass on him. If they don't then they should definitely take him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They have to take a developmental QB in this draft. And it has to be someone with talent and demonstrated ability to make big throws. Petty is that guy IMO, it's just a shame that he's looking like a riser on the boards. I suspect right now the Rams will trade down from 10, take OT like Flowers, take Petty if he's there in round 2, then go interior OL round 3.

At that point the OL looks much better and the QB position has a guy in the room that Weinke can work with.

The key for Petty is this visit, IMO. How well does he do on the chalkboard? How quickly does he pick up concepts? Weinke is gonna grill him good and if he's the pick it's because Chris thinks he can make something of the guy.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
They have to take a developmental QB in this draft. And it has to be someone with talent and demonstrated ability to make big throws. Petty is that guy IMO, it's just a shame that he's looking like a riser on the boards. I suspect right now the Rams will trade down from 10, take OT like Flowers, take Petty if he's there in round 2, then go interior OL round 3.

At that point the OL looks much better and the QB position has a guy in the room that Weinke can work with.

The key for Petty is this visit, IMO. How well does he do on the chalkboard? How quickly does he pick up concepts? Weinke is gonna grill him good and if he's the pick it's because Chris thinks he can make something of the guy.

I totally agree. Might even need to move up in Rd 2 to get him

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
We have Foles now. No reason for our team to be one of the poor suckers who overdrafts a QB in this class.
Amen to that.

I respect Mayock the most when it comes evaluating talent over all but I'd rather role with Foles/ Keenum / Davis before over drafting a QB which Petty, Hundley, or Mannion would be TBH.
I'd rather use that 2nd round pick for a legit O- Linemen. I'm really feeling like we could be taking Laken Tomilson in the 2nd and Reese Dismukes in the 3rd.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
either way can't wait to see how this all plays out

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
We have Foles now. No reason for our team to be one of the poor suckers who overdrafts a QB in this class.
I could agree with this but for the fact we haven't seen how Foles will do and IF he craps the bed and we haven't done something to better besides a pair of FA backups Fisher will be hissed and booed

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could agree with this but for the fact we haven't seen how Foles will do and IF he craps the bed and we haven't done something to better besides a pair of FA backups Fisher will be hissed and booed

If Foles craps the bed, we're fucked. Doesn't matter who we draft(assuming the top two guys are gone).

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
If Foles craps the bed, we're fucked. Doesn't matter who we draft(assuming the top two guys are gone).
Except of course for the perception we hadn't done enough, I like the evaluation of Graysons deep ball which for a team that strives for a run first offense plays to an offensive plan we are expected to employ

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Except of course for the perception we hadn't done enough, I like the evaluation of Graysons deep ball which for a team that strives for a run first offense plays to an offensive plan we are expected to employ

"Perception" shouldn't dictate who they draft.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
"Perception" shouldn't dictate who they draft.

In view of two miserable almost seasons where the starting Qb was construed as the reason for failure ,and in view OF the fact that trading Sam had such a large perception component , perception while not the single most salient aspect ,a coach going into his second to last year ( when extensions are generally issued or the coach is fired ) the perception of the owner is huge.
If for example Sam is injury free lights it up for Philadelphia and Foles proves not to be the answer, if we haven't done something to show an atempt at a viable future option issue ALL the shoulds and shouldn'ts of dogma you can muster. it won't render the ability to change peoples perception, and after he is dismissed I suppose Fisher can do his best rendition of Ole Blue Eyes " I did it my way".
Further we are entering our window every year we wait risks losing our shot

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In view of two miserable almost seasons where the starting Qb was construed as the reason for failure ,and in view OF the fact that trading Sam had such a large perception component , perception while not the single most salient aspect ,a coach going into his second to last year ( when extensions are generally issued or the coach is fired ) the perception of the owner is huge.
If for example Sam is injury free lights it up for Philadelphia and Foles proves not to be the answer, if we haven't done something to show an atempt at a viable future option issue ALL the shoulds and shouldn'ts of dogma you can muster. it won't render the ability to change peoples perception, and after he is dismissed I suppose Fisher can do his best rendition of Ole Blue Eyes " I did it my way".
Further we are entering our window every year we wait risks losing our shot

Wasting a pick on a QB isn't going to save his job if Foles is a bum. He'd have to hit a home run in a class that seems to lack that at QB besides the top two.

The Rams will either win or lose this year. If they lose, drafting a QB isn't going to save his job.(assuming Kroenke is going to fire him for another losing season)

It's just a bad desperation move to reach for a QB.

Foles is supposed to be the viable future option. That's the point of the trade.

And Sam wasn't traded for perception sake. He was traded because we can't keep waiting around for him to get healthy...especially with that gigantic cap number.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

The Rams should try to get Foles to sign a two year deal. However I am sure he wants to get paid ASAP and if he plays well and is a free agent next year he will get big money. However if he plays poorly he would have another year to redeem himself.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

how do we know next years class will be any better. I hope we are one of the poor suckers who drafts a qb in this class so he can be learning the system. no one thinks seattle or new England are poor suckers who overdrafted their qb. besides I for one would rather have petty,hunley or grayson with a years experience than keenan or davis for a backup. if foles does not work out or if he does and we can't afford to resign him we will have a backup with a year under his belt.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
how do we know next years class will be any better. I hope we are one of the poor suckers who drafts a qb in this class so he can be learning the system. no one thinks seattle or new England are poor suckers who overdrafted their qb. besides I for one would rather have petty,hunley or grayson with a years experience than keenan or davis for a backup. if foles does not work out or if he does and we can't afford to resign him we will have a backup with a year under his belt.

Through advance scouting. Something that teams do. Next year's class certainly looks better right now in terms of depth.

Doesn't matter if a mediocre QB knows the system, he's still a mediocre QB.

Great. You can bank on us being Seattle or New England. But I'm not making that bet. From 2000(Brady) to 2012(Wilson), there were 115 QBs drafted in the 3rd through 7th rounds. Guess how many of those QBs developed into quality starters? 9(7.8%).

Those 9 QBs are/were:
1. Tom Brady
2. Matt Schaub
3. Ryan Fitzpatrick
4. Marc Bulger
5. Kyle Orton
6. Matt Cassel
7. David Garrard
8. Russell Wilson
9. Nick Foles

And frankly, I'm stretching the word "quality". Cassel, Orton, and Fitzpatrick are career "bridge" QBs. The jury is still out on Foles. So in actuality, only 5 of those QBs actually are/were quality starters. And some might argue that Garrard wasn't(but I'm counting him anyways).

So our percentage chance at landing a quality QB banking on the Seahawks and Patriots as examples is at 4.3%. If Foles turns into a quality QB, our chances rise to 5.2% but our need for a QB is gone.

So basically, the odds of you finding the next Russell Wilson or Tom Brady are remote. And I'm certainly not betting on it in this weak QB class.

nighttrain

Legend
Wasting a pick on a QB isn't going to save his job if Foles is a bum. He'd have to hit a home run in a class that seems to lack that at QB besides the top two.

The Rams will either win or lose this year. If they lose, drafting a QB isn't going to save his job.(assuming Kroenke is going to fire him for another losing season)

It's just a bad desperation move to reach for a QB.

Foles is supposed to be the viable future option. That's the point of the trade.

And Sam wasn't traded for perception sake. He was traded because we can't keep waiting around for him to get healthy...especially with that gigantic cap number.
nailed it amigo, if Foles does a Gabbert imitation we're pretty much screwed unless we have a miracle man sitting on the bench. It could get ugly, but we would/should be set up for a very high pick next season
train

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What surprises me, jrry, is that you see a gulf between Mariota and Petty. Both have high talent, both played in systems where they need to adjust to the NFL game, but you list one as part of the "top two" and disregard the other.

It is a strange effect with Petty, where I personally see him almost disregarded by draft experts, scouts that feed the media, and the media. Of course we are seeing a correction starting now, but I wonder what it is you see from Mariota that separates him so significantly from the rest.