Martz compares Goff, Wentz to Rams legend Warner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_10dec867-6349-5e01-b1fb-06dd8befd506.html

During the predraft process, longtime college and NFL coach Ted Tollner helped quarterbacks Jared Goff and Carson Wentz get ready for the pro game. His son, Ryan Tollner, is their agent.

One day, long before the NFL Scouting Combine, Ted wasn’t available to guide the highly-touted prospects through their workout. So the Tollners called an old friend to take over for that day: Mike Martz.

On a field in Orange County, Calif., about an hour north of Martz’s home in San Diego, the former Rams coach put Goff and Wentz through the paces.

“I spent about two hours working them out, and spent about an hour with them in the classroom,” Martz said.

He came away highly impressed with the quarterbacks, who ended up going first and second overall in the NFL draft last month.

“Carson Wentz, I’ve never seen anybody throw the ball like that,” Martz said. “Ever. I’ve never seen that kind of arm strength on anybody, and still be able to throw a touch ball and all those things. And he was just a sponge to everything you said.”

Wentz, who went No. 2 overall to Philadelphia out of North Dakota State, had some problems dropping back from center according to Martz. Martz recalled making one correction with Wentz, and Wentz picked it up right away.

“Which shocked me,” Martz said. “It was like talking to Kurt (Warner) when Kurt first came in. He just wanted to get better.”

As for Goff, Martz said the California-Berkeley product “was a little bit more stoic and quiet. But he was really good on the deep ball, I remember that part.”

After the workout and classroom session, Martz looked at tape of Goff and Wentz on his own. What impressed Martz about Goff was his ability to stand firm in the pocket under pressure, absorb a hit, and keep firing away.

“He’s pretty special,” Martz said. “He has what Kurt had, and I hadn’t seen anybody like that necessarily for a long time. He will stand in there and make throws under duress like I haven’t seen anybody else do since Kurt, really.”

When Martz returned to St. Louis as offensive coordinator prior to the ‘99 season following a two-year stint in Washington, then Rams head coach Dick Vermeil asked him to take a look at Warner’s NFL Europe tape with the Amsterdam Admirals.

Martz came away amazed at how Warner took a beating, but unfazed, continued to stand tall in the pocket.

Martz said Goff showed enough mobility to extend plays as well.

“Now he made some bad plays, but the (good) plays that he made are plays that only an elite player can make,” Martz said. “I think he could be just ‘stupid’ good. He gets rid of the ball so quick.”

Looking at tape of Wentz, Martz said the speed of the game in the NFL will be an adjustment after playing in college at the FCS (or Div. I-AA) level. Martz also thinks Wentz showed a tendency to leave the pocket too soon.

“He’s gonna have to stand in there and make throws,” Martz said. “(The Eagles) have to really put their thumb on him about that. He can win with his legs on some plays, like a Russell Wilson kind of deal. But he can’t turn down throws in order to run it.”

Martz’s work with quarterbacks in the NFL basically is beyond reproach. Warner came from nowhere to league MVP, Super Bowl MVP, and Pro Football Hall of Fame candidate. Marc Bulger, who entered the league as a sixth-round draft pick by New Orleans in 2000, blossomed into a two-time Pro Bowler in St. Louis.

Martz even squeezed back-to-back 4,000-yard passing seasons out of Jon Kitna as Detroit’s offensive coordinator in 2006 and ‘07.

With that track record in mind, his assessment of Goff and Wentz carries some weight.

“I think they’re both franchise quarterbacks,” Martz said. “I’d be amazed if these two guys don’t have terrific careers. They’re of the quality where you can build a whole franchise around them.”

As for the Rams trading six picks to Tennessee as part of the trade up to No. 1 overall from No. 15, Martz said, “They did the right thing to move up to get Goff, I can tell you that.”

Conversely, Martz was surprised that Cleveland traded out of the No. 2 spot (with Philadelphia), thus backing away from Wentz. While realizing the Browns are building and picked up a bunch of extra draft picks, Martz said you just can’t pass on a chance at a franchise QB.

“Because they do not come along very often,” Martz said. “These two guys are very special, and for Cleveland to hop out of it — I don’t care how many good players they have if they don’t have a quarterback. When’s the last good quarterback they’ve had?”

The Browns did draft Southern California quarterback Cody Kessler in the third round, and Martz thinks Kessler has starter’s potential. But he doesn’t think he’s in the class of Goff or Wentz.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the browns didn't move up for goff because they are the browns. the browns didn't just sit there and take wentz because they are the browns. they coulda let him sit for a year or two and get their shit together this season but they're the browns. haven't been able to do shit without a qb for 18 years, then they find themselves in a position where they had 2 to choose from this year and they traded down away from them? really? they're not the poor lovable losers we all know and love, they're a disgrace to league and the poor shmoes that live in cleveland. they need to be stripped of their licence. they freakin draft stiffs like quinn, weeden and party boy but won't draft a franchise qb when he's staring them in the face. get the fuck outta here. they don't deserve to be in the league.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
To me it's pretty telling that Hue Jackson wanted no part of Wentz, time will reveal if that was a good decision

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Sounds like Martz was really impressed with Wentz during the workout. I would feel better if he had said that Goff killed it too. More stoic and quiet (n). Nice to hear about that deep ball though :yess:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
After the workout and classroom session, Martz looked at tape of Goff and Wentz on his own. What impressed Martz about Goff was his ability to stand firm in the pocket under pressure, absorb a hit, and keep firing away.

“He’s pretty special,” Martz said. “He has what Kurt had, and I hadn’t seen anybody like that necessarily for a long time. He will stand in there and make throws under duress like I haven’t seen anybody else do since Kurt, really.”

“Now he made some bad plays, but the (good) plays that he made are plays that only an elite player can make,” Martz said. “I think he could be just ‘stupid’ good. He gets rid of the ball so quick.”
I pulled these quotes because they are my favorites, and I think they say a lot about our New QB!!

And I have to admit, this is the 1st JT article I have read and enjoyed in a Looong, Looong time!!;)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Been waiting to hear Martz' take on the young QBs. I agree with everything he said. Pretty much what I WANTED to hear from Mad Mike. Love it.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
He may not be a great leader-coach, but I trust what he says about QBs and WRs more than any person living--since Bill Walsh died.....Kitna says it all!

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
“He’s gonna have to stand in there and make throws,” Martz said. “(The Eagles) have to really put their thumb on him about that. He can win with his legs on some plays, like a Russell Wilson kind of deal. But he can’t turn down throws in order to run it.”

Sounds like Martz was really impressed with Wentz during the workout. I would feel better if he had said that Goff killed it too. More stoic and quiet (n). Nice to hear about that deep ball though :yess:
Sometimes it's what you don't hear. I think the concerns over Wentz far outweigh what it is you didn't hear about Goff.
They are both great prospects but Pocket Awareness. Velocity, Accuracy toighness and a super quick relaease aren't bad traits to deal with.

jap

Legend
As for the Rams trading six picks to Tennessee as part of the trade up to No. 1 overall from No. 15, Martz said, “They did the right thing to move up to get Goff, I can tell you that.”

If the Horns QB selection has Mad Mike's official stamp of approval, you know it's a great decision.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I came away reading he thought both had great talents and would be good NFL pros. Sounds like Wentz had a few more things to work on though and had a stronger arm.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

The way I read it, Martz was most impressed with Goff. He did say he was stoic, but that is demeanor only.
He said Wentz needed some work, but has talent.

We are better off with Goff (pun intended) substantially better off -IMHO.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
The way I read it, Martz was most impressed with Goff. He did say he was stoic, but that is demeanor only.
He said Wentz needed some work, but has talent.

We are better off with Goff (pun intended) substantially better off -IMHO.

Martz was very impressed with Wentz' arm, loved his smarts, but said he "had some problems dropping back from center," "the speed of the game in the NFL will be an adjustment," and "showed a tendency to leave the pocket too soon." Not a surprise-- great prospect but needs some work.

What he said about Goff is rather extraordinary. At the workout "really good on the deep ball." After looking at tape compared him to Warner for his ability to hang in the pocket under duress, "and I hadn’t seen anybody like that necessarily for a long time." Said he "made plays only an elite player could, make" "could be stupid good," and "has such a quick release." Not surprisingly: “They did the right thing to move up to get Goff, I can tell you that.”

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

the browns didn't move up for goff because they are the browns. the browns didn't just sit there and take wentz because they are the browns. they coulda let him sit for a year or two and get their crap together this season but they're the browns. haven't been able to do crap without a qb for 18 years, then they find themselves in a position where they had 2 to choose from this year and they traded down away from them? really? they're not the poor lovable losers we all know and love, they're a disgrace to league and the poor shmoes that live in cleveland. they need to be stripped of their licence. they freakin draft stiffs like quinn, weeden and party boy but won't draft a franchise qb when he's staring them in the face. get the freak outta here. they don't deserve to be in the league.

They got a great offer and have so many holes a lot of people thought it was a good move by them.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
To me it's pretty telling that Hue Jackson wanted no part of Wentz, time will reveal if that was a good decision

I wouldn't have taken him #2 overall..........I don't think he's going to be anywhere near what he is touted as.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Martz was very impressed with Wentz' arm, loved his smarts, but said he "had some problems dropping back from center," "the speed of the game in the NFL will be an adjustment," and "showed a tendency to leave the pocket too soon." Not a surprise-- great prospect but needs some work.

What he said about Goff is rather extraordinary. At the workout "really good on the deep ball." After looking at tape compared him to Warner for his ability to hang in the pocket under duress, "and I hadn’t seen anybody like that necessarily for a long time." Said he "made plays only an elite player could, make" "could be stupid good," and "has such a quick release." Not surprisingly: “They did the right thing to move up to get Goff, I can tell you that.”

Yes.
And I agree with him too.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

He compared both to Kurt. He also mentioned that he corrected Wentz in dropping back from center and that the he got it right away. That blew him away and also mentions Wentz being a sponge. My point is I would have loved that Martz talked more about the time spent with Goff as opposed to what he saw on film. It was great to hear about the deep throws though.

Old Rock

Rookie
Name
Rock
After reading in another article about each teams best offseason acquisitions, Rams being Goff and Groh, It's hard to imagine what Goff and Martz could be like. But that's living in the past times glory. We're moving on. Thank God it's in the right direction after so long a dry spell. (y)

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
“Carson Wentz, I’ve never seen anybody throw the ball like that,” Martz said. “Ever. I’ve never seen that kind of arm strength on anybody, and still be able to throw a touch ball and all those things. And he was just a sponge to everything you said.”

This is why I think, that in three years Wentz will be the best QB in football, with the right coaching. If he could work with Martz it would be for sure.
The Rams made the right choice as they won't have the coaching and Goff doesn't need it as badly.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They got a great offer and have so many holes a lot of people thought it was a good move by them.

After 18 years they need a qb. Tim couch was a sacrificial lamb for the expansion team. He had no hope. The time was now.