Mannion to be Active?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Scirca

Rookie
Really glad you brought that wisdom for us.

I will let you check this out in reference to your question

http://pac-12.com/article/2014/11/0...annion-becomes-pac-12-all-time-passing-leader

Nice use of the apostrophe:whistle:

This is not a debate. They had the guy for a year. If he was anything special, he would have played over Nick Foles. Not to mention they wouldn't have traded what they traded to get Jared Goff if Sean Mannion is that guy. They see him in practice every day.

I assume you think Brett Hundley is a world beater because of his preseason highlights and play...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The truth hurts. I've handled myself well.
Yeah.... no it doesn't and no you haven't. I suggest you consider the advice you've been given.

Just curious - why exactly do you find your knowledge so superior and against what argument exactly?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Hopefully play Goff in the first half and Mannion in the second. Treat these last two games like pre season.
I have to disagree.
Goff is our qb. Let him play. He needs the experience more than any other player on our team

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Case is gone after this season, so it is mind boggling why he was the guy on the active roster once Fish was cut loose. It demonstrates how dumb this staff is tbh, that they cannot see the importance of going forward with Mannion as our backup. I mean, in the event he needs to play, we at least get to find out if our backup is up to snuff, which is valuable moving forward.

The fact that they're still talking about it. Oh man. I would hope that's just to keep their next opponent guessing, because if it's the truth damn. Just damn.

Scirca

Rookie
Yeah.... no it doesn't and no you haven't. I suggest you consider the advice you've been given.

Just curious - why exactly do you find your knowledge so superior and against what argument exactly?

Evidence(Rams actions this draft) suggests that Sean Mannion is not the guy to be the rams quarterback and probably never will be. He is nothing special(He has a weak arm.) Feel free to disagree with those statements.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Case is gone after this season, so it is mind boggling why he was the guy on the active roster once Fish was cut loose. It demonstrates how dumb this staff is tbh, that they cannot see the importance of going forward with Mannion as our backup. I mean, in the event he needs to play, we at least get to find out if our backup is up to snuff, which is valuable moving forward.

The fact that they're still talking about it. Oh man. I would hope that's just to keep their next opponent guessing, because if it's the truth damn. Just damn.
To be fair. Bones only had a couple days to prepare. I thought the timing of Fisher's firing was more of a reactive decision than a proactive decision.
Fisher should be held accountable. I just thought it was odd with only 3 days between games.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I need to clear this up for those of you guys who think Sean Mannion is something special because of his preseason games (I know there are some of you who think Mannion is an undiscovered gem.) I'm going to be very blunt with you.
giphy.gif

FRO

Legend
Evidence(Rams actions this draft) suggests that Sean Mannion is not the guy to be the rams quarterback and probably never will be. He is nothing special(He has a weak arm.) Feel free to disagree with those statements.
The Rams also went out and signed Trent Green in 1999 when they already had Warner on the roster. Until Mannion plays you will never truly know what you have. If Goff can't go he should play.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Probably active to be backup for Keenum. This has the potential to create a controversy if whoever starts plays well and the Rams win.
That's the reason why they never gave Mannion the chance after they had Goff has the third string qb national media went wild and I can bet that the front office was like we don't need this, next year is going to be a completely different story though it's going to be real competition. A coach might take the job because we got Goff but if he likes what he sees from Mannion it's going to be an interesting offseason. I'm already excited for it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's the reason why they never gave Mannion the chance after they had Goff has the third string qb national media went wild and I can bet that the front office was like we don't need this, next year is going to be a completely different story though it's going to be real competition. A coach might take the job because we got Goff but if he likes what he sees from Mannion it's going to be an interesting offseason. I'm already excited for it.
IMO the only competition next year will be between Mannion and the QB that the new HC brings in that he's familiar with.
Loser is off the team.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO the only competition next year will be between Mannion and the QB that the new HC brings in that he's familiar with.
Loser is off the team.
Listening to Bones talk about Mannion makes me believe that they wanted Mannion as the number 2 all along they just HAD to avoid that direct competition. That's why they didn't play Mannion in a preseason game because he was outplaying Goff and the National media and fans was already grumbling about that. Everything that was done last year was for the excitement of the fan base. I think the best thing that is coming out of the Fisher firing is that Bones now have the leeway to do what he wants without all the extra scrunity from the fan base. That's going to be the same with the new coach no 1 on this roster is going to be safe from competition and that's the way it should be. Because if Mannion is better and the new coach go with him or one of his guys the blame is going on Fisher not the new coach.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
There absolutely needs to be an open competition between these two (and any other QB the new coach brings in). A good coach is not going to roll with someone just because he was the first pick in the draft. The Seachickens gave Matt Flynn a decent size contract in the offseason just few years ago and drafted Wilson. Wilson outplayed him and became the starter. It would be moronic to just go with Goff just because he was picked first, especially when it was done by a previous regime.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
This is not a debate. They had the guy for a year. If he was anything special, he would have played over Nick Foles. Not to mention they wouldn't have traded what they traded to get Jared Goff if Sean Mannion is that guy. They see him in practice every day.

I assume you think Brett Hundley is a world beater because of his preseason highlights and play...
Your opinion is not fact. Saying this is not a debate is arrogant and unacceptable.

And apparently Coach Fassel thinks he needs a look in real game action. But like others have said no one is calling for Mannion over Goff but, if Mannion gets a start and looks good there should be a competition for the QB spot just like every other position. Anointing Goff because of his draft spot is stupid. Him winning the starting spot is doing due diligence.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - interesting take. I watched him his entire college career with my son attending OSU and us living about 45 minutes away. He had VERY little to work with outside of Wheaton for a couple years and Cooks for three. He had virtually no running game and a O-line that was worse than the O-line Goff dealt with at Cal. Still he took Cooks who was known as being lazy and a problem at practices during his Freshman year and started palling around with him. Cooks completely flipped it around.

The interesting thing about Mannion is that when he had receivers, he got them the ball and it shows by his stats. And that happened when everyone and their brother knew where the ball was going because the only year when he had two legit receivers, he passed for almost 5,000 yards and 37 TDs. When it was down to one - Cooks had over 1,700 yards receiving. Look at that team he had his senior year. Pick out the Pro prospects on offense. Zero. And his offensive line was a sieve.

That doesn't mean I think he is better than Goff. But he is also not as bad as you are trying to make him out to be. Will he be a starter at some point? Quite possibly. But using the offensive moves of the Rams during the Fisher regime is hardly leaning on a fact based system.

Just curious though... what exactly are your qualifications that you would come in here and in your first few posts, start trying to tell people how it is - that you feel you need to "be blunt" with them or that you need to "clear things up" for us? Pretty damned arrogant.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Listening to Bones talk about Mannion makes me believe that they wanted Mannion as the number 2 all along they just HAD to avoid that direct competition. That's why they didn't play Mannion in a preseason game because he was outplaying Goff and the National media and fans was already grumbling about that. Everything that was done last year was for the excitement of the fan base. I think the best thing that is coming out of the Fisher firing is that Bones now have the leeway to do what he wants without all the extra scrunity from the fan base. That's going to be the same with the new coach no 1 on this roster is going to be safe from competition and that's the way it should be. Because if Mannion is better and the new coach go with him or one of his guys the blame is going on Fisher not the new coach.
That's just silly
If Mannion was any good, they wouldn't have brought back Case Keenum
Its all about snaps and reps, no rookie is ready out of the gate and they cant get ready without the snaps and reps.
This idea that Mannion was any kind of a threat is laughable
He will be fortunate to make the team next year

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I need to clear this up for those of you guys who think Sean Mannion is something special because of his preseason games (I know there are some of you who think Mannion is an undiscovered gem.) I'm going to be very blunt with you.

Who is Mannion to be even mentioned in the same breath with Jared Goff, and I'm being really honest here. Comes out of college with a 83tds to 54 interceptions ratio (I'ma leave it at that). Has a weaker arm than Jared Goff (can barely throw 54 yards) Watch his 2015 all star football challenge. He is nothing special in general. He went from throwing 37 touchdowns to 15 his senior year. His team went 3-9 to 9-4 to 7-6 to 5-7 his senior year.

I'm sensing that some of you on here are confusing playing well in the preseason to him being able to compete with Jared Goff to start..... Here is another name for some of you who don't know that preseason action has nothing to do with how well you preform in a real game. Colt Brennan from Hawaii. He was AMAZING in the preseason but just couldn't do anything and he was cut everywhere he went.

Dropping the knowledge.....I am soooooo grateful to know that pre-season is not relevant to the regular season

Cool your jets, hot rod

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Sounds a little like the arguments that probably took place regarding Kirk Cousins and RGIII... plus Mannion and Cousins had fairly similar collegiate stats.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds a little like the arguments that probably took place regarding Kirk Cousins and RGIII... plus Mannion and Cousins had fairly similar collegiate stats.
Except Cousins performed, in actual games. IIRC he was the QB in the game that clinched a playoff spot for the Skins in 2012.
And Washington didn't see the need to have a veteran back up for RGIII, because of what Cousins showed them. The Rams still needed to bring back Keenum