Mailbag: What's next for Rams at quarterback?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
What's next for Rams at quarterback?
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/27585/whats-next-for-rams-at-quarterback

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The offseason is here for the Los Angeles Rams and now that we know where they'll be playing their home games for the long-term, things have settled down enough to spend our weekends answering a few of your Twitter questions.

As always, you can find me on Twitter @nwagoner. Fire away with any Rams-related questions you might have. Please use hashtag #RamsMail so I can see them.

On to your questions.

LA Rams Fan Zone ‎@LARamsFanZone
Q: QB Mysteries: Is "Keenum is our QB" a smokescreen? Have Rams made Foles available to interview? Is Mannion a keeper?

@nwagoner: I don't think it's accurate to call Case Keenum a smokescreen at this point. They haven't said Keenum is their quarterback for the long term or even the season. They just said he's the starter going into the offseason. The reality of the situation all along has been that Keenum is the guy on the roster right now about whom they feel the best so they were always going to keep him around unless a clear-cut better option revealed itself somewhere along the way. In free agency, it doesn't seem that one of those has come along, at least not at the right price. That is, of course, subject to change, but for now there doesn't appear to be serious interest in the choices still on the market. The Rams putting the first-round tender on Keenum proves that they would like to at least give him a shot to win the job or make another team pay a hefty price to pry him away (which is unlikely). Nick Foles has not been available to talk and, to my knowledge, did not attend the optional team meeting in Los Angeles a couple of Fridays ago. He still remains the most likely option to be deleted if the Rams add an outside quarterback. On Sean Mannion, as I've written before, the Rams like his upside and it would be a surprise if they moved on from him after just one year. He should have a chance to push for the No. 2 job this year depending on what might be added from the outside. As always, these things are fluid, and perhaps an opportunity the Rams like -- i.e. a cheaper, short, "prove it" deal for a veteran -- will present itself. But as it stands, it seems the Rams are more likely to explore quarterback options in the draft, which probably only improves Keenum's chances of being the starter in 2016 unless they move up for one of the top guys.

Jordan Gallacher ‎@Jordan3110
Q: Does Bates come back at a low price, or are we looking at outside FA/draft help for LB depth? Seems very thin

@nwagoner: The answer to the question is probably both. It wouldn't be unusual for the Rams to get Daren Bates back at a price lower than the restricted free-agent tender. They did the same with Tim Barnes last year, and he became the starting center. Bates could garner some interest for his value on special teams, but the Rams know him better than the others and so long as they want to bring him back it seems like a real possibility. But even if that happens, the Rams still need some depth at the position. Bryce Hager and Cameron Lynch are still around and can contribute on special teams, but I doubt they feel comfortable going into a season with Alec Ogletree coming off injury and knowing Mark Barron is a bit undersized for his position without having a solid backup in place. There's not much out there in free agency so perhaps they go that route in the draft. Either way, I think it's safe to expect the Rams to add another linebacker regardless of what happens with Bates.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO the die has been cast....Rams will draft their QB, my fear is that one of the three might not be available and if that happens then they will draft a player in round two...Case Keenum will be the starter, the Rams for some reason seem totally committed to Case.Keenum and hopefully Paxton Lynch will be their at 15 and if not, get ready for Christian Hackenberg or Jacoby Brissett IMHO.

Last edited:

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
IMO the die has been cast....Rams will draft their QB, my fear is that one of the three might not be available and if that happens then they will draft a player in round two...Case Keenum will be the starter, the Rams for some reason seem totally committed to Case.Keenum and hopefully Paxton Lynch will be their at 15 and if not, get ready for Christian Hackenberg or Jacoby Brissett IMHO.
So Den what's the point in drafting a Hackenberg or Brissett if Mannion is on the roster? Unfortunately I think we can't afford to give up our draft picks to get a top QB but we desperately need a franchise QB. We are so screwed

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
IMO the Rams almost have to make a move to move into the top 5 if they want to draft a QB. Any QB picked after the top 2 would be like adding another Mannion to the roster. If they cant get Goff or Wentz it is Keenum's job to lose with no real threat to take it from him.

Unless they are keeping their thoughts on Mannion secret to keep the rest of the league guessing at who the Rams will draft. And it is really Mannions job already.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
IMO the Rams almost have to make a move to move into the top 5 if they want to draft a QB.

Agree.

And this is the year to do it. We hope to make the playoffs this year, so we'll be picking higher than 15 if so.

We have two 2nd rounders. So we have a little extra ammo.

Snead... DO IT.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
My gut tells me we are preparing to make our first BIG splash as the LA Rams via trade up to grab Wentz. Sounds like Kap may be on his way to Cleveland, who could then be a trade partner for us. What better way to get the fanbase in LA and St.Louis buzzing than to trade up for the future face of our franchise, alongside Gurley amd Donald?!!

Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Oh and PS, please stay far FAR away from Goff. He is going to bust.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Even if the Browns trade for Kaep, I think they still take a QB at 2. I mean, even they are not stupid enough to do otherwise, are they?

And then the Niners are certain to pick a QB, aren't they?

Which only makes the Rams even less able to get a top 2 QB. Sigh...

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Agree.

And this is the year to do it. We hope to make the playoffs this year, so we'll be picking higher than 15 if so.

Snead... DO IT.
CGI what do you think it would take to trade up to get the #1 pick? And is it worth it? I believe it would take at the least our 1st and both 2nds to make it happen. That would be to steep for me considering we are not even close to being a playoff team

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Keenums the off season starter whatever that means cause he's the best QB on the team right now.
If they get to June and a FA QB they like is still sitting there maybe they bite on a cheap contract. Maybe.
While I think they should trade up for one of the only 2 real QB prospects in the draft, and it will be very expensive I don't think they will unless one of them falls to around 10th.
Couple reasons.
They have yet to get extensions. So with he losses from FA and already needed upgrades they might think having more picks to use in different areas with Keenum they can win more games next year than trading picks getting Goff with a lesser team around him. Long term Goff, Wentz win more games for sure, but after 2016 does Snisher have to buy tickets to see him play.
Or being lame duck in effect do they still have the authority to trade picks from future years?

Could be the target has changed to 2019 and new stadium.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So Den what's the point in drafting a Hackenberg or Brissett if Mannion is on the roster? Unfortunately I think we can't afford to give up our draft picks to get a top QB but we desperately need a franchise QB. We are so screwed

IMO, they will only draft a QB if they really like him. Brissett has a different skill set then Mannion and although Hackenberg is similar, I get this eerie feeling the Rams are going to like him maybe because I don't so I am just preparing myself.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Even if the Browns trade for Kaep, I think they still take a QB at 2. I mean, even they are not stupid enough to do otherwise, are they?

And then the Niners are certain to pick a QB, aren't they?

Which only makes the Rams even less able to get a top 2 QB. Sigh...

Why wouldn't the Browns trade with the Rams or another QB desperate team after pulling off a trade for Kraepondick ?

I think if the Browns pull of this trade it's Dallas and SF we worry about with that Ravens pick the last chance to pick up Goff or Lynch (the big 3)

The Browns have tons of holes and their complete lack of big splash free agent buys indicates they want to draft replacements who Jackson can mold -- I think both top picks will be traded if the Browns can land their starter by trade with SF. They must know they will suck just a little less next season with their Moneyball bullshite FO -- and if they roll out a rookie franchise guy next year it'll be even tougher -- I mean if they get Kraepondick why would thy have Goff, Wentz, or Lynchh sit for a year or two, I mean can they afford that? So I don't see the way these math guys who are clearly calling the shots are gonna not trade that pick with they get Kraepondick

And is Tunsil really that great? Is he like Orlando Pace coming in who you knew would be great? I'm not sure, maybe they think so, but I just don't see why Tennessee or Cleveland would want to keep those picks if QB hungry teams will be willing to trade up - by the price Brock Osweiller got the price by way of picks in return could be steeeep.

Anyway, I think they are gonna be super aggressive and try and grab Wentz, Lynch, or Goff. You can't be in the situation we are and bring in Joel Stave with the 5th pick cause he looks prototypical and he is super smart and Snead and Fisher want competition for Mannion... Give me a cocky guy like Connor Cook who knows how to win any day

Anyway my thinking is if they don't end up with Lynch before #15 they will take Connor Cook - maybe not at 15 but he's sitting pretty for Denver if people are actually fall for the reports that he's not likable etc

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Interesting discussion. Everyone should go back and look at the recently posted thread listing all the drafted qbs of the the last 11 years.

This year, (I am not a draft expert) has been described as a relatively weak year, for quarterbacks, no? Lots of first and second round busts in those last 11 drafts. Wasted picks really. Look at the weaker years. Project it to this year.

Do you think the better NFL GMs and coaches are drooling over Goff and Wentz like guys on message boards?

If Sam Bradford, or Cam Newton or Marcus Mariota were in this class, ask yourself: where would Goff or Wentz be listed? 1st rounder still? 2nd rounder?

How about Sean Mannion this year? Might he be talked about breathlessly as a first rounder in a weak quarterback year? Well congrats. We don't have to sell off other picks to move up to get him. AND he has one year head start of coaching and a bit of experience.

I'm not saying Mannion is the answer. I am confident we are bringing in another capable arm. But a lot of other teams would like to have a solid QB like Keenum and a promising prospect like Mannion in the fold.

We are in decent shape.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Just bite the bullet and trade into the top 6 to get our QB once and for all.A trade with Balt at 6 shouldn't be to expensive.Our 1st,2nd and 4th round picks would be equal trade value.We can't go into the season with Keenum as our starter and no plan for the future.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Interesting discussion. Everyone should go back and look at the recently posted thread listing all the drafted qbs of the the last 11 years.

This year, (I am not a draft expert) has been described as a relatively weak year, for quarterbacks, no? Lots of first and second round busts in those last 11 drafts. Wasted picks really. Look at the weaker years. Project it to this year.

Do you think the better NFL GMs and coaches are drooling over Goff and Wentz like guys on message boards?

If Sam Bradford, or Cam Newton or Marcus Mariota were in this class, ask yourself: where would Goff or Wentz be listed? 1st rounder still? 2nd rounder?

How about Sean Mannion this year? Might he be talked about breathlessly as a first rounder in a weak quarterback year? Well congrats. We don't have to sell off other picks to move up to get him. AND he has one year head start of coaching and a bit of experience.

I'm not saying Mannion is the answer. I am confident we are bringing in another capable arm. But a lot of other teams would like to have a solid QB like Keenum and a promising prospect like Mannion in the fold.

We are in decent shape.

I think that's the right move, and prudent one

But they have to be aggressive with QB or they lose the plot completely. And I think their moves in free agency are early indicators that they are looking for the next guy.

The fact they locked up Folds as early as thy did is because they desperately want that guy. I just see all the moves - including the one to LA - as being they are going all in for that franchise QB

It's sort of like this for me
1. Keenum - Vet bridge QB - check
2. Mannion - Development QB - check
3. Folds - safety net / trade bait QB - check

What does that leave?

FRANCHISE OB (n)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If it gets to the point Lynch isn't their and we still go after a QB, I'd Rather it be Jeff Driskel out of Lousiana, or Cardale Jones from Ohio St. JMHO

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I think that's the right move, and prudent one

But they have to be aggressive with QB or they lose the plot completely. And I think their moves in free agency are early indicators that they are looking for the next guy.

The fact they locked up Folds as early as thy did is because they desperately want that guy. I just see all the moves - including the one to LA - as being they are going all in for that franchise QB

It's sort of like this for me
1. Keenum - Vet bridge QB - check
2. Mannion - Development QB - check
3. Folds - safety net / trade bait QB - check

What does that leave?

FRANCHISE OB (n)

I agree. We need to be prudent and not play the game. I mean, everyone was writing Kaepernick's epitaph a few months ago. :coach: Dead man walking!
Now there is a bidding war for his services?

I swear if SF gets anything substantial for that guy, I will puke. :puke:

If they finagle the 2nd overall pick from the Browns? Well, I make just fly to Cleveland and head-butt each member of the Browns brass until their skulls turn soft. :snicker:

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Sounds like Kap may be on his way to Cleveland, who could then be a trade partner for us..
Wentz is going #1 no question IMO. Tenn is drafting drafting a QB and with all the QB needy teams someone is going to trade up with Tenn.

lockdnram21

Legend
Agree.

Snead... DO IT.
We have ammo but we have holes. Lb, cb, fs, DE, Wr