Mack's Brief 2015 QB Class Breakdown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

scifiman

This is my first blush pass at College QBs. If anyone knows of a QB that you’d like me to take a look at, lemme know and I’ll hunt down some footage and put up my take on him. I enjoy breaking down footage and my backs just killing me right now…so, why not?

Marcus Mariotta – Oregon

Read option QB. So…no. Very fast, but so were Vick and RGIII. He’s basically Vick with less arm. I worry about his mechanics. The ball never seems to come from the same place twice. Because he’s always moving, I don’t see him set his feet, even in the pocket, and it’s not the same as Peyton’s “happy feet”. He may have a big NFL career, but even at first glance, I could tell that his mechanics are going to require some work at the next level.

Sean Mannion – Oregon State

Not the shortest throwing motion, so balls get away from him. I suspect that some of that may be the college ball. He didn’t look like he had the biggest hands to me which, again, would explain the motion. That can be fixed at the next level as the pro ball is narrower and allows for more compact mechanics. Decent velocity and range. Not the biggest arm, but nice touch.

Kevin Hogan – Stanford

What’s not to like about this kid? He’s got the Peyton feet, he steps into his throws nicely, he’s got good velocity, good touch, good accuracy, good vision. It’s all good, right? Oh, wait. There’s that ghastly wind up. It’s not a show stopper, but egad its a HUGE windup. Once he gets the throwing motion nice and compact, there’s nothing about this kid not to like. Love? I dunno. But I could see a guy like Hogan doing very well for the Rams.

Connor Cook – Michigan State

Big arm. Excellent touch even on deep balls. Throws a very catchable ball. Wide stance in pocket is worrisome as is his windup. Needs to shorten up his motion. Does a good job of stepping into his throws. Needs little effort to throw the deep ball. Locks onto receivers. I didn’t see any times where he looked off a safety or went through a progression. Needs to get rid of the ball a little faster. Not the best pocket awareness and not very nimble in the pocket. Very much a pocket QB.

Jameis Winston – Florida State

Just…NO. Someone else can evaluate him because he’s a franchise killer. I live in Florida and the accounts that haven’t made the national news would have red flagged most any other player. So…no. He’s just got TURD all over him.

Brett Hundley – UCLA

I’m gonna need a minute… This. Is. The. Guy. Mark it down. If you wanna call him a young Steve McNair, okay. I just see a kid with a strong arm, very accurate, great touch, great sell on the play action (sometimes his keeper is so good, he fakes out the broadcasters), great pump fake, love his footwork, throwing motion you could fit in a phonebooth, can run, but doesn’t look to… has great pocket presence. Bottom line: This young man takes the Rams at the least to the playoffs as a rookie. Period. If not the Super Bowl. He’s EXTRAORDINARY. With this team. Oooooooooooh. I hope the whole country gets Mariota fever and the rest of the QBs have outstanding seasons and maybe UCLA loses a few tough games so maybe this cat slides a smidge because he’s the Franchise Real Deal. I’m pounding the table for this kid NOW.(NOTE: As a UCLA fan (I was born at UCLA hospital while my mom was a student there so I’m a “born Bruin” if you will), I will admit a twinge of bias. That said, if Hundley stunk, I’d be only too willing to admit it. When it comes to banging the table for ANY player, I make sure, so I watched some extra on him to ensure I wasn’t missing anything. I wasn’t. But I wanted to be clear of where I was coming from)

Anyone have any other QBs? Lemme know. Glad to hear feedback as well. Remember, this is just a first blush, I didn’t exactly spend hours on each guy.
I just watched the UCLA -Virgina game and I am not impressed with Hundley at all. He does not have the strong arm you are thinking he has and many of his passes had not much velocity on them at all. He missed many passes and made a few wrong reads. Could be wrong about him but I dont see him as a NFL quality franchise qb. I have also watched quite a few games with Mannion and not impressed with him either. Marriotta is a Kapernick clone. Hard to tell what he can do in a pro style.

jjab360

Legend
I really wonder how the "Ray Rice" rule will affect Jameis Winston.
I won't pretend to know what goes on with the kid off the field, but on the field I see a smart QB who makes good decisions, has all the physical tools and then some, and his passion for the game and leadership skills are just off the charts. If he stays in line, I don't see how any team wouldn't want Winston as their QB.

jjab360

Legend
Also, this Christian Hackenberg kid out of Penn State is just a true sophomore right now, but he's going to be one of the best QBs in the NFL one day.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sorry about this post, my 12 yr old got ahold of my phone and thought he was being real funny. He has been dealt with. Hope nobody took this too seriously...
lol. That didn't sound like you, man.
Don't be too hard on your kid. He got you, and now you just plan your revenge.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
lol. That didn't sound like you, man.
Don't be too hard on your kid. He got you, and now you just plan your revenge.
Kids, lol. Sounds like a food challenge to me. Video it, and post it.

dan g

UDFA
Name
Dan
If Kevin Hogan – Stanford coming thru similar path of an Andrew Luck - is 2/3 the qb Luck is - he seems like the solid qb the Rams need.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, Hundley really had poor OL support all game long. On throws he could step into, he had great velocity. Unfortunately, it looked like Brucie was blocking for him most of the time... I expect that OL will either get it together or Hundley will spend the season rolling out...

jjab360

Legend
Well, Hundley really had poor OL support all game long. On throws he could step into, he had great velocity. Unfortunately, it looked like Brucie was blocking for him most of the time... I expect that OL will either get it together or Hundley will spend the season rolling out...
I was impressed on the last throw of the game, that was a real NFL throw. I need for his O-line to hold up so I can see some more of those, though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I realized today how spoiled I was being able to watch Bortles tear it up for UCF. I watched Pete DiNovo throw for 18 yards in the full first half against Penn State and it was sickening. However, after halftime, I saw a new QB emerge.

Justin Holman is a Sophomore 6'4" 213 pound QB who backed up Bortles last year and learned from him. They have a very similar playing style. Coming in the game after halftime down a touchdown, there was an immediate difference. I saw a big, mobile QB with excellent vision and elusiveness in the pocket. He threw a great long ball, escaped the clutches of D linemen, and had serious heat on his throws. In all, he went 9 of 14 for 204 yards and 3 TDs, including a late game, clutch drive with 2 minutes left that put UCF up 1 that was reminiscent of Bortles. This is only one game but a big, mobile QB with a rocket arm and a pass first mindset excites me. I'm not saying this is the Rams guy but I'm saying its a possibility that he emerges from what I was today. I will keep my eyes on this guy. (Yes, I admit some bias but I also have high QB standards after last year)

Yea, I'm surprised Holman didn't get the original nod. He has a lot of potential. You're right to think highly of him.

I'll tell ya what, Kenny Hill of A&M ripped South Carolina a new arsehole. That kid is worth watching as well. His passing skills, imo, might already be better than Manziel's.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Yea, I'm surprised Holman didn't get the original nod. He has a lot of potential. You're right to think highly of him.

I'll tell ya what, Kenny Hill of A&M ripped South Carolina a new arsehole. That kid is worth watching as well. His passing skills, imo, might already be better than Manziel's.

I agree with you there. He is going to make A&M forget Johnny's name with the way he is playing. Lots of quality QB's popping out of the woodwork after game 1.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Really wish Bama started Coker. Really interested to see him in action. If there are anymore more close calls like today maybe Saben will put him in.

jjab360

Legend
Hackenburg has been late on a couple throws today, needs to step his game up.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Gonna be watching the Oregon-Michigan St. game to get a good feel of how both Mariota and Cook are looking this season. Plus I'd like to see both Trae Waynes and Ifo Ekpre-Olomu in action at CB, because that could be a huge need also. Should be a good game to watch if you're interested in the draft.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Sorry about this post, my 12 yr old got ahold of my phone and thought he was being real funny. He has been dealt with. Hope nobody took this too seriously...

omg he's only 12 what happens when he's 13

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bad play-call by Stanford after a good drive by Hogan BUT Hogan's terribly flawed release contributed to the fumble. The ball should never be at hip level.