Louis Reddick: Jared Goff has limitless potential [Reminds him of Joe Montana].

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Scirca

Rookie
He has been one of the few that has really believed in Jared Goff.

P.S: Is it me or has Goff stopped throwing DUCKS! He's throwing straight tight spirals now and I can't be happier.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i agree. that's why i was happy the rams chose him over wentz. i haven't seen many qbs who could move inside the pocket like him in college. just subtle moves here and there and then sling an accurate pass away, like the elite pros do in the nfl.

wentz, for example, used to bail when pressure came. he still made plays but i preferred the ways jared made plays. it's much more sustainable and deadly in the nfl. wentz can have the glory now but a couple of years from now the nfl is gonna be clamouring for goff.

jap

Legend

i agree. that's why i was happy the rams chose him over wentz. i haven't seen many qbs who could move inside the pocket like him in college. just subtle moves here and there and then sling an accurate pass away, like the elite pros do in the nfl.

wentz, for example, used to bail when pressure came. he still made plays but i preferred the ways jared made plays. it's much more sustainable and deadly in the nfl. wentz can have the glory now but a couple of years from now the nfl is gonna be clamouring for goff.

Might even be less than a couple of years! Comparisons to Joe Montana notwithstanding, before I really viewed the Goff highlights, the comparison that really got me really interested was the supposed resemblance to ARod. The highlight reels did not really show Jared running for yardage. However, last season's run vs the 'Hawks (which ended with the cheap shot by Sherman), and this season's ad hoc jaunts have been impressive. Jared hardly runs since he is most concerned with the most efficient accumulation of real estate. Therefore, his occasional forays with the ball tucked away can really catch opposing defenses off guard.

The accuracy and finesse touch are special and should get even more refined as he extends his rapport with his fly guys, especially downtown to Sammy, Mike Thomas, and even tiny Tavon. Since the point is to gain maximal yards & points, I prefer the deadly accurate QB passer over the running QB, no matter how good his wheels are.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I will begin by recalling that I stated on this forum Goff and the offense could actually improve in games 4-7 and simultaneously take a step backwards statistically. The defenses of the Colts, Skins, Niners, and Cowboys pale in comparison to the ones in Seattle, Jacksonville, Arizona, and NY. I also predicted the defense would become statistically better since those second four offenses all have major flaws. I thought then the Rams would repeat their 3-1 record in the second quarter. I’m one game away from nailing it.

Jared still has a long way to go but his progress is solid. In that draft, I was an unabashed Wentzian. I liked Goff’s toughness, pocket presence, and accuracy. I simply thought Wentz was bigger, stronger, more of a risk taker, and smarter than Jared. Nothing so far has changed my opinion. What I couldn’t see coming was McVay, Olsen, and LaFleur. It’s ironic to me that Reddick compared Jared to Montana because just as most consider Joe to be better than Steve Young, I have always believed Young was the better QB. What they both had in common was the opportunity to play under great coaching, a solid OLine, and yeah...Craig, Rice, Taylor, and Owens were pretty good at the skill positions. Today is would say that Peterson and McVay are both doing solid work with highly rated OLines, good schemes, decent weapons, and improving defenses. The QB comps of Big Ben v Matty Ice still ring true to me. Both have experienced success and failure depending on the players and coaches that support them. The difference is that when Roethlisberger suffered poor OLine play, he still extended plays with his legs and sturdy frame.

With that said, the next quarter may well be another 3-1 adventure. I expect to celebrate Goff’s maturation as he makes incremental progress against the Texans and Vikings and explosive production against the Saints and Cards. To go 2-1 v Houston, NO, and MN would also be true progress and all I could really ask of this young, developing team.

It’s that Eagles game that I can’t wait to see.

Andrew_K47

UDFA
Name
Andrew
That is why I like Goff over Wentz, his potential as a pocket passer far exceeds Wentz's in my opinion

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
One thing about Goff that is a similarity with Montana is that his demeanor just never seems to change on the field ... even keeled to the extreme. He just never seems to get rattled, never seems to get too high or too low ... just a guy doing his job. That sets a great example for other players.

Now of course, the difference between Goff and Montana is that the latter was the spawn of Satan and the Anti-Christ, and this is his theme song:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9e9tp3_PE8

NOTE: Monday Night Football actually played that song as background music once during an intro segment that featured Montana. Coincidence? I think not.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Goff's always going to throw some ducks, and that's no big deal when you have the arm he's got.

Riddick is like a lot of these experts where he tends to "see" what players can do only once they've shown it a bit on the field at the NFL level. But he was nowhere to be seen on the Rams in general this offseason that I can recall, other than he didn't bash on Jared like his contemporaries. Seem to remember him suckin up to the whiners as well, because I recall thinking his spin on their personnel was ridiculously positive.

Bottom line is the talent evaluators who have the ability to see talent on rosters even when things around them aren't good, who can properly guesstimate what players are capable of, are the types who are employed by clubs. And in this stretch of asinine groupthink re: Jared Goff in the media, it's going to serve as a nice lesson for a lot of them that you might want to do your homework in those jobs.

I tend to be a kool-aid drinker so not gonna act all knowing just because I was finally right about some things wrt the Rams this year. But I don't get paid to analyze football. The guys who do, however, should have been able to see the pieces the Rams had in place even though the team had crashed and burned in 2016, and should have understood what so many of us here on this board did, that this past offseason fixed a lot of the wrongs and actually had a chance to win some games.

And this is why I just don't waste my time listening to these clowns, because tbh I think without the resources of a club around them they're just straight ignorant of what team rosters are, their relative strengths and weaknesses. By that I mean I'd trust the, say, Redskins message board fan opinions on their roster over some talking head that happens to be covering them for an article. Just my take.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Bottom line is the talent evaluators who have the ability to see talent on rosters even when things around them aren't good, who can properly guesstimate what players are capable of, are the types who are employed by clubs. And in this stretch of asinine groupthink re: Jared Goff in the media, it's going to serve as a nice lesson for a lot of them that you might want to do your homework in those jobs.

Robert Woods falls into that group also. He has ended up being a really good fit, but not many believed it at the time.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Robert Woods falls into that group also. He has ended up being a really good fit, but not many believed it at the time.

Not sure I agree.
Some thought he was a little expensive. Never felt that he was not wanted by many.

ausmurp

Starter
That is why I like Goff over Wentz, his potential as a pocket passer far exceeds Wentz's in my opinion

Let's be realistic here lol. Wentz is an amazing pocket passer and leads the NFL in TD passes. Wentz is almost a lock to win MVP at this point as well especially with Rodgers out and Ryan suffering. So you are saying you like Goff over the favorite to win NFL MVP? Eh..

Not bashing Goff but he has not arrived yet. Wentz has. Wentz is elite right now and reminds a lot of ppl of Brett Favre. Pretty amazing how fast it happened but right now, I'd take Wentz over Goff.

fearsomefour

Legend
Hopefully he doesn't develop a taste for the bugger sugar like ol Joe....missing time with "back surgery" then "rehab" but returns with no scars (allegedly) . Scumbag.

fearsomefour

Legend
Let's be realistic here lol. Wentz is an amazing pocket passer and leads the NFL in TD passes. Wentz is almost a lock to win MVP at this point as well especially with Rodgers out and Ryan suffering. So you are saying you like Goff over the favorite to win NFL MVP? Eh..

Not bashing Goff but he has not arrived yet. Wentz has. Wentz is elite right now and reminds a lot of ppl of Brett Favre. Pretty amazing how fast it happened but right now, I'd take Wentz over Goff.
Brady with will win the MVP and be award a new trophy that is gold plated Uggs.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Not sure I agree.
Some thought he was a little expensive. Never felt that he was not wanted by many.

I guess the question becomes are we referring to Rams' fans or the media. I was referring to the media.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's be realistic here lol. Wentz is an amazing pocket passer and leads the NFL in TD passes. Wentz is almost a lock to win MVP at this point as well especially with Rodgers out and Ryan suffering.
(not a dig on you @ausmurp)

Why all the talk about Wentz? Did I stumble onto the PHI Eagles board?

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
I guess the question becomes are we referring to Rams' fans or the media. I was referring to the media.

When it comes to the Rams for the media this year it is all about Fake News.

That said, most Rams fans liked the Woods signing IMO

James Otto

Starter
Goff's always going to throw some ducks, and that's no big deal when you have the arm he's got.

Riddick is like a lot of these experts where he tends to "see" what players can do only once they've shown it a bit on the field at the NFL level. But he was nowhere to be seen on the Rams in general this offseason that I can recall, other than he didn't bash on Jared like his contemporaries. Seem to remember him suckin up to the whiners as well, because I recall thinking his spin on their personnel was ridiculously positive.

I tend to be a kool-aid drinker so not gonna act all knowing just because I was finally right about some things wrt the Rams this year. But I don't get paid to analyze football. The guys who do, however, should have been able to see the pieces the Rams had in place even though the team had crashed and burned in 2016, and should have understood what so many of us here on this board did, that this past offseason fixed a lot of the wrongs and actually had a chance to win some games.

And this is why I just don't waste my time listening to these clowns, because tbh I think without the resources of a club around them they're just straight ignorant of what team rosters are, their relative strengths and weaknesses. By that I mean I'd trust the, say, Redskins message board fan opinions on their roster over some talking head that happens to be covering them for an article. Just my take.

I think Riddick was the one (maybe the only one) that was supportive even throughout last year's debacle. I think I recall a couple times where Riddick said last year was a wash and shouldn't be considered when evaluating Goff, due to the train wreck. He's always been optimistic on this team, for some reason.

I don't think there is anybody that watched Goff last year that did not come out at least a little concerned. However, after going back and watching the college tapes and seeing how he navigated and stood in the pocket, I saw some of those same things even last year, despite the circumstances. I was guarded in regards to how he would respond, and I don't even care about the numbers right now, he just looks great in the pocket, period. His accuracy and decision making will improve as he gets more and more live reps.