Los Angeles Rams RB Darrell Henderson is destined for stardom

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only 6 lineman were drafted in the 1st round, 4 OT a G & C in 2019.

Garrett Bradbury was the 18th pick at C. His PFF grade was low, ranking 30th out of 37 graded centers.

Since the Rams don't have a first round, and the draft is always a gamble like the aforementioned Bradbury, Rams may want to hunt FA for a stud center. Maybe a Ryan Groy from SD. He's 6'5" 320lbs.
Last year's OL class going into the draft was not thought of as highly as this years class is especially along the interior.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Rams need a smart, nasty Center from the draft to settle the OL. Otherwise, somebody is going to miss his blocking assignment and the offense goes nowhere.
Hopefully that somebody isnt starting for us next year. Choosing him over Jamon Brown was one of the biggest mistakes the FO has made imo. Yes, Brown struggled in NY but he's bigger than Blythe and excelled in our offense.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Hopefully that somebody isnt starting for us next year. Choosing him over Jamon Brown was one of the biggest mistakes the FO has made imo. Yes, Brown struggled in NY but he's bigger than Blythe and excelled in our offense.

I'm not as astute at evaluating line talent as some others are. But I thought Blythe was better when they moved him to center. At least in pass protection. But Blythe is a free agent and Allen will be much cheaper. So I don't know whats going to happen with that.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like him a lot. However, are the defenses looking for a run with our third string in the line up. It's too small of a sample size.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
From the small sample size I've seen, Henderson is a lot stronger than he looks. I remember commenting that more than once on his carries. And he's an explosive runner. I'm sure the reason for the lack of touches is they felt he wasn't ready for all aspects of playing his position. A running back who can't help protect will get his quarterback killed. Hopefully, this season he's more ready.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IMO Hendy was drafted to give the Rams a back who can come in for Gurley without changes needing to be made to the play calling. He's a plus athlete (not a TG talent but few are), thrives when he's got a seam, has the speed to flip the field, good balance at contact, and knows when to get small and take what he can.

I guess I just don't get the concerns with him. The guy isn't gonna be Todd Gurley in his prime. But he did show us good hands and speed on the edge in a small sample size. He did get what he could when the blocking was subpar, and what I really liked was he didn't dance around when lanes weren't there which is what some backs do transitioning to the NFL. How many teams have guys who can flip the field on their depth chart? That's what he is IMO.

I'd like to see the Rams replace Brown with a physical type but that's just me. Still, that doesn't affect my take on Hendy.

Some vids from last season to remind folks this kid should be a guy we're excited about in year 2:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxZdIORFByk

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001065228/Darrell-Henderson-weaves-through-D-for-explosive-22-yard-gain

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
IMO Hendy was drafted to give the Rams a back who can come in for Gurley without changes needing to be made to the play calling. He's a plus athlete (not a TG talent but few are), thrives when he's got a seam, has the speed to flip the field, good balance at contact, and knows when to get small and take what he can.

I guess I just don't get the concerns with him. The guy isn't gonna be Todd Gurley in his prime. But he did show us good hands and speed on the edge in a small sample size. He did get what he could when the blocking was subpar, and what I really liked was he didn't dance around when lanes weren't there which is what some backs do transitioning to the NFL. How many teams have guys who can flip the field on their depth chart? That's what he is IMO.

I'd like to see the Rams replace Brown with a physical type but that's just me. Still, that doesn't affect my take on Hendy.

Some vids from last season to remind folks this kid should be a guy we're excited about in year 2:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxZdIORFByk

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001065228/Darrell-Henderson-weaves-through-D-for-explosive-22-yard-gain

Im with you on Brown. I don't like how often hes injured honestly but I'd like to let him play out his final year of his contract and let him go next year. If they fix the OL in 2020 then maybe all three RBs look very different. Do we draft a RB this year and if so will it be that CJ Anderson type? Or will that be next year's discussion?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im with you on Brown. I don't like how often hes injured honestly but I'd like to let him play out his final year of his contract and let him go next year. If they fix the OL in 2020 then maybe all three RBs look very different. Do we draft a RB this year and if so will it be that CJ Anderson type? Or will that be next year's discussion?
I do think we draft a RB. Unless they get someone like Gore on the cheap I suppose. But this RB class is deep and the physical types tend to hang around so I'd guess that's an easy draft fill.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think this is partly why skip hot canned the regression of Todd and the lack of progression from Hendo ... looking forward to seeing what the kid can do next season

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I do think we draft a RB. Unless they get someone like Gore on the cheap I suppose. But this RB class is deep and the physical types tend to hang around so I'd guess that's an easy draft fill.
I could not root for Gore even if he was on the Rams. That would be tough for me.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I'm not as astute at evaluating line talent as some others are. But I thought Blythe was better when they moved him to center. At least in pass protection. But Blythe is a free agent and Allen will be much cheaper. So I don't know whats going to happen with that.
He was still whiffing on running plays but some of them weren't as impactful.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He has zero wiggle. If the rams don't run block better he will be a wasted pick. Just give him a freaking hole so he can slice through it. We still haven't seen it yet.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think this is partly why skip hot canned the regression of Todd and the lack of progression from Hendo ... looking forward to seeing what the kid can do next season

You beat me to it, UK. Well said.

If Skip had better developed Henderson then I think he would be a Ram asst coach today. I give Skip a pass for Gurley’s health issues.

I’ll say this. McVay demands results from his coaches. Fassel, Phillips, Peete, Fisch, Daniels, and maybe 1-2 more yet to go?

I admire and respect that. McVay is a man driven.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

He has zero wiggle. If the rams don't run block better he will be a wasted pick. Just give him a freaking hole so he can slice through it. We still haven't seen it yet.

This is what I see.....I am not as hopeful as most others here on Henderson.

I really like what I saw from LSU's RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire. I would be aiming for him if possible..... has plenty of wiggles & stop & go plus power all in a dinky package.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I can't remember witch game it was but there was a point when gurley went out and I think brown had been injured. Henderson came in in a rush and I don't know if he had not got the play or just did not know it. anyway goff had to direct him to the right position for the play. maybe he didn't get the play on his way in or maybe he is not getting the play book so he only has a few plays they work on during the week. I hope he came in in a hurry so he didn't get the play rather then not knowing it.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I don’t think Henry’s problems are physical football skills.

I fear that they are ‘football smarts’ issues.

Knowing and understanding playbook, pass pro, etc.

Why this was not discovered during the scouting phase is beyond me.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I don’t think Henry’s problems are physical football skills.

I fear that they are ‘football smarts’ issues.

Knowing and understanding playbook, pass pro, etc.

Why this was not discovered during the scouting phase is beyond me.

Vinny, before his departure seemed to hint at this. It would make sense of why he didn't play more when we saw some good things from him when he did enter the game. Most rookies who advance to stardom in this league spark quite a bit more than him in their first season. Most, not all. It doesn't bode well for him how he's started so far but it doesn't mean he's a bust yet.

I'm sure a new RB coach was as much for Gurley as it was for Henderson.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Vinny, before his departure seemed to hint at this. It would make sense of why he didn't play more when we saw some good things from him when he did enter the game. Most rookies who advance to stardom in this league spark quite a bit more than him in their first season. Most, not all. It doesn't bode well for him how he's started so far but it doesn't mean he's a bust yet.

I'm sure a new RB coach was as much for Gurley as it was for Henderson.
I don't see a reason to worry just yet. Not only because he's a rook, but his involvement in the Rams' offense was projected to be in every phase so he had to learn the entire thing.

He's not just a depth guy, but a depth guy they drafted to allow for no change in play calls. That's a tough order IMO on top of the typical adjustment of pass pro and adjusting to the speed of the game. So maybe he just needs a little more time to get it down, not a concern for me if that is true.

Edit: biggest concern for me with the RB room is someone who can eat carries if TG is injured. I don't know that Hendy can do that. He is more of a Kamara type IMO.

Last edited: