Looking ahead to 49er week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
49ers can have next week. They can have the last week of the season for all I care. I hope they enjoy it and they take lots of pictures of Green Bay while they get rolled over by Aaron Rodgers. You know, for memories.
Speaking of the Packers, here's another example of what good drafting and player development can do for you. It can actually help to win a Championship. Below are the guys they signed in the draft, who are currently on their roster.

gbdepth.png

Plus (since it won't all fit in the picture):
Ryan Grant
Jarret Bush
Brett Goode
Tramon Williams

Add it up.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
What X said.

What Haile said.

Nothing makes me more ill than a post praising anything in whinerville. :sick:

In a bizarro universe, I might have praised X for his restraint in only editing 2 words of the OP. Here and now, I'm surprised (and a little disappointed) he didn't go farther.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ram Quixote said:
What X said.

What Haile said.

Nothing makes me more ill than a post praising anything in whinerville. :sick:

In a bizarro universe, I might have praised X for his restraint in only editing 2 words of the OP. Here and now, I'm surprised (and a little disappointed) he didn't go farther.
I know what you mean. All of the creative incompetence he painted in the comparison during his original post. It's annoying, and borderline as far as the rules are concerned, but I don't want this to be a forum that employs gestapo tactics. That's not to say I wasn't tempted though.

What "certain people" can't seem to grasp is that this is currently the ONE Rams forum that has a mission statement that involves an absence of abject bashing simply for the sake of trolling and inciting a negative reaction. Well, that's not entirely true. They know it. They just don't care. At some point it'll be over the top, and we'll have no other recourse.

Sorry if that makes this forum seem too militant, but it's my forum and I have a very specific vision for it. I employed 4 moderators with the same exact vision. If that means having 20 guys with like-minded views and behavior, then so be it. I'd rather read 20 intelligent, mature, and community-minded people than 200+ complainers who lack the social skills to present a good argument and who use hyperbole and gratuitous bashing to make their point.

Of course, as per usual, anyone here is free to discuss this with me personally at any time.

Right Here:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Oh. And. That doesn't mean people can't express their discontent with Spags, Devaney, Loney, Kroenke, or whoever they want. All I ask is that you do it in a manner that doesn't outright insult people who see it differently. Idiot, gutless coward, moron, stupid fuck, whatever. Those things aren't necessary.

Instead, try things like, "I've seen enough. I don't have faith anymore in his game-time decisions, and I don't think he's a good head coach. Because (a) (b) and (c). That's fair. We can discuss stuff like that with mutual respect. We can see it differently (or the same) and then plan a new strategy. A good exercise would be to formulate your posts under the guise of saying it directly to Spagnuolo's face. I don't care what you say, you wouldn't walk up to him and call him an idiot in a one-on-one session. You'd probe. You'd ask questions. You'd voice concerns. Just afford some of us (who, for lack of a better word, are apologists) the same courtesy.

Fair enough?

K, now I'm done. :ww:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
interference said:
X said:
I don't think it means we have another three years before we're able to overcome injury to the extent we're seeing this year. I don't think ANY team overcomes that kind of injury and still wins. Maybe they win more games than the Rams have, but they don't win enough to be a playoff team.

Further compounded by this was the inability to sign veteran free agents in 2009 and 2010. It just couldn't be done at all. 2009 there was no money, 2010 there were no free agents. This year they tried to shore up multiple positions at once, but all that does is put a myriad of new faces into schemes that they had ZERO time to practice. When you lose 1000+ reps due to a truncated OTA period, then you're going to learn on the job. And learning on the job is hard enough. It becomes harder when you're trying to learn the offense and defense that went toe to toe in SB XLII. Those are the schemes that took an undefeated team to the SB, and the defense that stopped it. This isn't Harbaugh taking away sight adjustments from the QB and running the ball relentlessly. This is two very highly complicated schemes. And it's supposed to be effortless with 7 free agents and 4 rookies on a team with a sophomore QB?

I mean, seriously, people REALLY need to think about this. And that's all I'm asking.

Is Spagnuolo flawless? Absolutely not. I have a HUGE problem with the way he's developing the roster, and some of his tentative game-time decisions. But I will NOT - under any circumstance - blame him for the state of this Rams team. Young, injured, full of vets who can't get acclimated, and full of rookies who haven't figured it out totally either. Built entirely from scratch (minus 2 guys) with two extremely bad years to be drafting high or trying to sign veteran starters.
Ok, you've got my attention.

So, given your perspective, what are your suggested strategy for the offseason? What are the major moves we need to make: FO; Coaching Staff; Player Personnel?
I'm not qualified to make those decisions. I'm just a guy. But *if* I was somehow gifted with the ability to run a $750M NFL Franchise, I would stay the course with the HC, DC and OC, install more accountability for roster development (see next), ask the OC which coaches HE wants to run his positions (and hire them), and then get a qualified President of Football Operations (that I trust) to install a plan and see that it gets implemented per his vision. And also have that President be VERY involved in the day-to-days.
You know, I think I could live with that for a guaranteed-1-more-year, just to see if we can continue on last year's trajectory without having to blow things up. If we fall off the advances that we made in 2010, then I'd make wholesale changes.

But I want to see us do well in the draft, manage the roster so that we focus on younger player development, and I don't want to hear any more reports about the F.O. being in disarray.

Finally, I want to see the damn GSOT memoriabilia back up at Rams park, it's a damn embarrassment that our proud history is being trash-canned like that.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
X said:
Angry Ram said:
Horns of Gold said:
Brian Jennings (2000) WHO? Long Snapper
Andy Lee (2004) WHO? Punter
Shawntae Spencer (2004) WHO? CB with 42 snaps under his belt
Isaac Sopoaga (2004) WHO? 50th-rated DT
Adam Snyder (2005) WHO? 74th ranked guard
Delanie Walker (2006) Backup tight end
Parys Haralson (2006) WHO? backup LB
Joe Staley (2007) 39th ranked tackle
Tarell Brown (2007) WHO? 42nd-ranked CB

That's some quality leadership there.

This is the first time I've ever posted something about Harbaugh. Has this abomination of a team affected your sensitivities so much that any appreciation for the job an "enemy" has done isn't welcome here? Considering I got my post inexplicably edited for calling our coach a word that describes a person who lacks courage in facing difficulty, opposition, etc.; a timid or easily intimidated person then, well, I guess it has. Maybe you'll get your wish and our absent owner will keep your boy next season. God help us should that happen but what's another year of enduring a 20% winning percentage?

You can site the greater number of veterans the 49ers have all you want. The bottom line is that if Spagnuolo were coaching them, the Seahawks would be division champs again. Either way, pal....it's just one man's objective opinion speaking and it's just football. So......

<a class="postlink" href="http://wavs.unclebubby.com/wav/MOVIES/Stripes/lightenupfrancis.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wavs.unclebubby.com/wav/MOVIES/S ... rancis.wav</a>

I think it's funny you left off Alex Smith, Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, Patrick Willis, Ray McDonald, and Terrell Brown and instead used a random website that uses meaningless rankings to back up your arguement.
AND ignoring the fact that they have 14 veterans still playing for them that they drafted from 2000-2007, and the Rams have 2. But hey, let's go ahead and take it a step further and expand it to 2008.

49ers
Brian Jennings (2000)
Andy Lee (2004)
Shawntae Spencer (2004)
Isaac Sopoaga (2004)
Adam Snyder (2005)
Alex Smith (2005)
Frank Gore (2005)
Vernon Davis (2006)
Delanie Walker (2006)
Parys Haralson (2006)
Joe Staley (2007)
Ray McDonald (2007)
Patrick Willis (2007)
Tarell Brown (2007)
Josh Morgan (2008)
Chilo Rachal (2008)
Larry Grant (2008)
Reggie Smith (2008)

Rams
Steven Jackson (2004)
Ron Bartell (2005) (and on IR)
Chris Long (2008)
Justin King (2008)
Chris Chamberlain (2008)

18-5. Too early to judge any drafts from 2009 to present. The point (which escaped him) was that the Rams were basically an expansion team in 2009 after they had to cut so many veterans. Kinda hard to fill a team with 18 veterans in 3 off-seasons. Especially when they needed 17 starters at the beginning of 2009 to begin with.

Yeah, reading that more and more makes me feel they should get 1 more full, complete, regular offseason together.

Hell, I remember JT (of all ppl) saying directly, face to face, to Devaney that one of these days he'll get a regular offseason. I think it was when they introduced Robert Quinn.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
Hell, I remember JT (of all ppl) saying directly, face to face, to Devaney that one of these days he'll get a regular offseason. I think it was when they introduced Robert Quinn.
lol. How'd that work out for him?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
X said:
Angry Ram said:

Who Quinn? I think it was "reach." :grr: :ww:

But man it sure looked like Devaney wanted to smack him as he was saying that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:

Who Quinn? I think it was "reach." :grr: :ww:

But man it sure looked like Devaney wanted to smack him as he was saying that.
No, I mean, if J.T said that Devaney would eventually get a regular off-season, and he said it in 2010, then he was wrong.