Long & Scott deserve some love

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
Pat
I'm not a student of the game like many of you, but to my couch-warrior eye, David Long and Nick Scott are due some love for their performances thus far in the playoffs. What an athletic play by Scott on the interception before half, and he also had a great breakup later in the game. Meanwhile Long led the team with seven tackles, including a TFL - I think it was on Fournette. And of course, they both made huge plays last week against the Cards.

I always thought Scott and Long were JAGs, and easily replaceable (I don't think I'm alone in this assessment), but they've both upped their games and made significant contributions in the playoffs. I think their play might get forgotten about after all the fourth quarter drama, and I just want to give them some props.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I agree.. They've made the most of their opportunities presented. Kudos to them. :clinkingbeer::clinkingbeer:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Let's not forget Powell either, but that prolly a different thread.. lol

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Great thread.

Scott had the game of his life.

I don’t want to oversell it.. but it’s interesting both these guys had solid games alongside Weddle.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
They really are coming alive in the playoffs, and I will eat honey glazed BBQ crow on Scott. Mmm...it tastes awesome.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
The D seems better without Rapp on the field Weddle fills in nicely and a Huge effort by both Long and Scott

TexasRam

Legend
Nice post.

In my opinion Scott has definitely improved as he has gained experience. Several big plays in both playoff games. He is becoming a solid backup but I don't see him as starter material.

Long is starting to make plays as well but overall i think he is our biggest liability on defense outside of Rapp.

I would like to see Rochelle take Longs snaps. RR is much more physical and consistent.

Darius Williams is a head scratcher. He has really fallen off this year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I really like the way DB Burgess has settled in myself. I just like his consistency & his sure tackling.

Nick Scott has earned himself a nice contract as a deep safety with a new team in a few months from now as a UFA.

Nickle Corner David Long has improved but he still is not starting material. Long will compete with corner Robert Rochell for starting corner Darious William's spot in 2022.

DW, Donte Deayon & nick Scott will depart in free agency here when this season ends.

Rams should be okay with Burgess & Fuller starting next season with strong safeties Taylor Rapp & Antoine Brooks as reserve safeties. Snead is going to need to draft a free safety type or find one because both Rapp & Brooks are not deep safety material.

Rams will need to try to fine several key DB's late on the 3rd day of the draft.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I really like the way DB Burgess has settled in myself. I just like his consistency & his sure tackling.

Nick Scott has earned himself a nice contract as a deep safety with a new team in a few months from now as a UFA.

Nickle Corner David Long has improved but he still is not starting material. Long will compete with corner Robert Rochell for starting corner Darious William's spot in 2022.

DW, Donte Deayon & nick Scott will depart in free agency here when this season ends.

Rams should be okay with Burgess & Fuller starting next season with strong safeties Taylor Rapp & Antoine Brooks as reserve safeties. Snead is going to need to draft a free safety type or find one because both Rapp & Brooks are not deep safety material.

Rams will need to try to fine several key DB's late on the 3rd day of the draft.
Burgess had 14 snaps.
Nick Scott played 100% of the snaps.. made huge plays and got a 90+ PFF grade.
Nick Scott is not a FA after this season.

Weddle came off the street and played 61 snaps.

Look.. I want Burgess to succeed.. but he's obviously got some issues the Rams are really concerned about in coverage.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Is Blanton becoming a weapon now? That would be awesome!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Has been a pleasant surprise after watching our safeties blow the Whiners game when Fuller went down.

View: https://twitter.com/JB_Long/status/1485628734732476419?s=20

From my perspective, the free-roaming heat-seeking missile SS/Hybrid weakside ILB'er Travin Howard is the reason that we have seen the improvement in the secondary the last two games playoff games. Howard was finally healthy playing ILB with those coverage skills when he started for 4 seasons @ both safety positions & some Hybrid LB'ing time @ TCU.

Think about it............:thinking: it's been forever since we have seen a healthy Howard ...maybe for the first time since he was drafted :sur:he has only officially started 2 regular-season games in four seasons but he did start the last two playoff games.
Think I'm off the chain here ...just hyping him up :woozy2:......I suggest some brief time rewatching #32 on defense in the playoff Cards/Bucs gm. You will see him in coverages & playing fast & tight!

I would project Travin Howard & Eric Jones starters @ ILB'er in 2022 with Troy Reader, Christian Rozeboom, Antoine Brooks Jr & Jake Gervase as our backups.

PLEASE! :
DC Morris Keep Howard on the field as much as you can against the 9ers playing both interior LB'ing posts or that strong safety post when you go to the 3 safeties with the two-deep safeties Scott & Weddle & in that 3 safety package you like so well use newly brought up from IR LB'er Eric Jones in place of Howard at that weakside ILB'r spot & keep Taylor Rapp under Rap on the bench.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I have been very pleased with Nick Scott and I want him starting against San Francisco. IMO, he's the only one in the secondary that can knock Deebo senseless.
1643133844756.png

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Seeing Long contribute has been great to see. Maybe he's a guy who it just took a little longer to figure out.

Scott is the third best athlete in the Rams secondary behind Ramsey and Rochell.... looks like his brain is catching up with his body. Seems to be playing faster now.. and that's awesome.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
On the other hand, WTF happened to D Williams? Huge drop off from last year. Brady targeted him 14 times, getting 9 rec for 120 yds. C'mon. VS Scotty Miller?

And he's going to be on Aiyuk, Kittle and Samuel this Sunday.

D Williams has got to tighten it up or he's going to make Grabapole look good.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
On the other hand, WTF happened to D Williams? Huge drop off from last year. Brady targeted him 14 times, getting 9 rec for 120 yds. C'mon. VS Scotty Miller?

And he's going to be on Aiyuk, Kittle and Samuel this Sunday.

D Williams has got to tighten it up or he's going to make Grabapole look good.
Very true, unfortunately.
Zero ints this year... would be a hell of a time for him to get his first of the season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Long and Burgess are both great team guys and athletes but neither of those guys have enough dog in them. At this level you need more than talent to sustain high end play and even hold a starting position, especially on a roster like this one.

Look at Scott's INT in the last game and you see Long out of position ready to give up a completion. The guy is someone you try to hide in the scheme. He's the guy you don't want the QB finding over and over.

We are very fortunate to have Scott play the way he just did. Question is can he do it two more times. I think he has a real chance for one reason: the Rams rush is so strong. So barring a situation where the 9ers OL wins up front in pass pro we should be ok here.

Here it is:

1643221559704.png

Ramlife

Rookie
Name
Bill
Nice post.

In my opinion Scott has definitely improved as he has gained experience. Several big plays in both playoff games. He is becoming a solid backup but I don't see him as starter material.

Long is starting to make plays as well but overall i think he is our biggest liability on defense outside of Rapp.

I would like to see Rochelle take Longs snaps. RR is much more physical and consistent.

Darius Williams is a head scratcher. He has really fallen off this year.
I don’t understand his drop off.. wonder whats up with that?

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Any word on Robert Rochell's status? Does he have a chance of coming back to play this Sunday vs. the 49ers then? If not, perhaps for the Super Bowl if the Rams advance? It would be great to add him back into this secondary.