Littleton Gets First Opportunity at Middle Linebacker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Littleton Gets First Opportunity at Middle Linebacker

When the Rams traded Alec Ogletree to the Giants at the start of the 2018 league year, it raised one significant question: Who will replace Ogletree at middle linebacker?

Ogletree had been in the position for the last two years in Los Angeles, having made the switch from weakside linebacker in the Rams’ former 4-3 scheme. But more than the on-field production, Ogletree was unquestionably a leader in the team’s locker room who helped set a standard of professionalism.

It’s somewhat yet to be determined who will step into that leadership role — as Ogletree left some significant shoes to fill. But at least on the field, linebacker Cory Littleton is receiving the first crack at defensive signal-caller.

“When [Littleton] played last year, he’s the type of guy that you’re creating certain packages just to get him on the field when you’ve got two really good players inside like an Alec Ogletree and like a Mark Barron,” head coach Sean McVay said. “So Cory’s made plays over the course of his career when he’s gotten opportunities on defense. He’s a guy that’s got just a lot of little nuances to his game, but you see the athleticism and the instincts show up.”

Littleton mainly played behind Barron as Los Angeles’ second inside linebacker in the first year under coordinator Wade Phillips in 2017. Littleton started a pair of games because the Rams implemented a defensive package just to get him on the field. Then he played the majority of the Week 15 victory at Seattle when Barron went down with an injury early in the contest. Littleton ended up starting the Week 16 victory over Tennessee — making a key interception — and the Week 17 matchup against the 49ers in Barron’s stead as well.

Now, Littleton has moved over slightly to play in the middle of it all.

“‘Mike’ ’backer is basically the quarterback of the defense. It’s a new role for myself — it’s something I’ve never done before,” Littleton said this week. “But, just trying to get better every day.”

Even as the Rams were making all kinds of moves during the offseason, Littleton said he wasn’t necessarily sizing up how the roster might shake out.

“I mean, offseason is the time I get to spend with my family — that’s the thing I focus on the most,” Littleton said. “Once football came back around, just had to make sure I was in football shape and whatever role I came into, I’d just try to play that.”

And so when he found out he’d start out the offseason program as the unit’s signal-caller…

“I was actually kind of excited,” Littleton said. “Right now, I’m still working to try to secure a starting position. But right now, I’m happy just to be on the field.”

Littleton played defensive end in college at Washington, but has successfully made the transition to linebacker in the pros. Nevertheless, there’s an adjustment that comes with wearing the green dot on the field — namely making sure that everyone knows what the defensive play is supposed to be.

“Speak a little louder, hope everybody can hear me,” Littleton quipped of his approach.

There’s plenty to learn off the field, too. Littleton said he’s been spending a lot of time watching tape in order to master the nuances of the position.

“[J]ust the keys that a ‘Mike’ ‘backer has to make — just formation recognition, and just all of the work that you have to put in with film review and all those things,” Littleton said. “It’s a pretty broad aspect — a lot of things I’ve got to work on.”

There’s a lot of time between now and Week 1 agains the Raiders on Sept. 10. But as Littleton continues to go through the offseason program, he’s working to make the most of the significant opportunity he’s received.

“It makes me feel good as a player that they really believe in me,” Littleton said. “So I’ve just got to do what I can to get better and make sure I can prove it.”

[www.therams.com]

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
This is a good news/bad news article for me.
Littleton is one of my favorite Rams because he reminds me of another all time fav--Kevin Greene.

The article describes the reason why they are similar to me. Hustle, hustle, hustle, and good things happen. They both made the most of their PT and made enough plays to warrant more PT. Eventually, there was no choice, you can't keep guys like this off the field.

The bad news? Littleton also reminds me of the guy he stands to replace--otree. Both are exceptional athletes who excel in chasing down and making plays. OTree was en route to a pro bowl season when he got hurt. He came back as a MLB. That didn't work out so well.

Like otree, I think Littleton might be better suited to play WILB (Barron) like he has played, instead of SILB (otree). I think he could be a real top notch player in THAT spot.

Then again, just how good IS this guy? We saw how far KG went (Canton).

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I thought it would be kizer and Barron, kizer seems to have alot of potential and has good size

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
This is a good news/bad news article for me.
Littleton is one of my favorite Rams because he reminds me of another all time fav--Kevin Greene.

The article describes the reason why they are similar to me. Hustle, hustle, hustle, and good things happen. They both made the most of their PT and made enough plays to warrant more PT. Eventually, there was no choice, you can't keep guys like this off the field.

The bad news? Littleton also reminds me of the guy he stands to replace--otree. Both are exceptional athletes who excel in chasing down and making plays. OTree was en route to a pro bowl season when he got hurt. He came back as a MLB. That didn't work out so well.

Like otree, I think Littleton might be better suited to play WILB (Barron) like he has played, instead of SILB (otree). I think he could be a real top notch player in THAT spot.

Then again, just how good IS this guy? We saw how far KG went (Canton).
He reminds me a bit of Leonard Little coming out of Tennessee. It's funny. Little was in the mix for the Rams at LB before they realized how much better he was at DE rushing the passer.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...on-one-key-homegrown-player-for-each-nfc-team

One key homegrown player for each NFC team
By Gregg Rosenthal

Los Angeles Rams: Cory Littleton and Samson Ebukam, linebackers

The starry approach to the Rams' offseason had some less-discussed repercussions. After the team spent big on the secondary and the defensive line, general manager Les Snead turned over the linebacker group to young, unknown players.

Littleton, a third-year player who went undrafted in 2016, is getting the first crack at replacing middle linebacker Alec Ogletree. Ebukam is a 2017 fourth-round pick who looks locked into a starting edge-rusher job. In coordinator Wade Phillips' system, the mammoth defensive line and sticky secondary should make the linebackers look better, just like Tom Brady makes his running backs look better every year.

It's the system.
At least that's the plan, and it's up to Littleton and Ebukam to help make Snead look Belichickian with his strategic allocation of resources.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It's Littleton's job to lose, guy looked good in all his starts and playing time to me. Maybe if Kizer flashes he'll get a package put in.

Think we're gonna be just fine at ILB and actually love our depth there now. Worried about OLB.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah, I wouldn't sleep on him being a key contributor this year, even as a reserve. Sounded like he was backing up Barron in OTA's - no??
Wilson had a heck of a 2016 season subbing for an injured player but somehow fell out of favor in KC last year.

I'm thinking he bounces back this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't know that the Rams have any "plus" players on that second level. Littleton will hopefully win that job in year two, but honestly as I look over the LB roster depth overall it's very underwhelming.

Maybe one or two of these guys will grow into something. But that aside the truth is they're not all going to work out, and the Rams at this juncture look to my eye at least as a defense built to stop the pass after getting a big lead.

So even though the LB corps might not be anything to write home about, if they give us some solid play at the least and the offense grows in year two, the defense overall might still be damn near elite. It's just gonna come down to who they are once they're in the playoffs if/when they meet that defense that can stifle their O a bit.

Ram65

Legend
I don't know that the Rams have any "plus" players on that second level. Littleton will hopefully win that job in year two, but honestly as I look over the LB roster depth overall it's very underwhelming.

Maybe one or two of these guys will grow into something. But that aside the truth is they're not all going to work out, and the Rams at this juncture look to my eye at least as a defense built to stop the pass after getting a big lead.

So even though the LB corps might not be anything to write home about, if they give us some solid play at the least and the offense grows in year two, the defense overall might still be damn near elite. It's just gonna come down to who they are once they're in the playoffs if/when they meet that defense that can stifle their O a bit.

I was hoping for a Vet or two.

I agree with you but, still have hope that the LBer unit can come together.

The Edge Backers
Ebukam
Longacre
Obo
JFM-this year
Price-possible

Inside Backers
Barron
Littleton
Wilson
??????

It could come down to how Wade rotates all three levels of the defense. Throw in some four man down rushers, dime defenses with precision blitzes and Wade could keep offenses on their toes. Of course a nice early lead helps even more. The big question is how the entire defense comes together with all the new faces.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Edge Backers
Ebukam
Longacre
Obo
JFM-this year
Price-possible

Inside Backers
Barron
Littleton
Wilson
??????

It could come down to how Wade rotates all three levels of the defense. Throw in some four man down rushers, dime defenses with precision blitzes and Wade could keep offenses on their toes. Of course a nice early lead helps even more. The big question is how the entire defense comes together with all the new faces.
You left of the guy that's been reported to be getting first team snaps in Lawler at edge.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

The Edge Backers
Ebukam
Longacre
Obo
JFM-this year
Price-possible

Inside Backers
Barron
Littleton
Wilson
??????

Sorry if I missed it but has it been reported that JFM is working at OLB?

Ram65

Legend
Sorry if I missed it but has it been reported that JFM is working at OLB?

Yes it was a few days ago which I found interesting. Can't remember what thread. He can play standing or with his hand in the dirt. Ran a 4.7 at combine.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yes it was a few days ago which I found interesting. Can't remember what thread. He can play standing or with his hand in the dirt. Ran a 4.7 at combine.

Yeah I'm definitely intrigued by Lawler. For him to jump like he did is pretty cool and a good sign. Means he's showin something they want out there, probably physicality with some rush ability.

Got my fingers crossed on all these guys just tryin to be realistic is all.

ausmurp

Starter
Littleton made so many plays last yr when hehad his shot, I'm excited for him. He's not Tree, Littleton is very good at shedding blockers and Tree was absolutely not. I think he could be a huge sleeper for the pro bowl. He's just a play maker..